Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt St. Kitts REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt St. Kitts REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2021, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by skj
What you were told isn't correct.

Here's what the T&Cs say ...

"In order to redeem a Suite Upgrade Award at a Hyatt resort, a Member must pay the Standard Rate for a minimum of a deluxe room (such as partial ocean view, ocean view, slope view, Dreamcatcher or Sunrise room, etc.). In order to redeem a Suite Upgrade Award at a Hyatt hotel (that is not a resort), a Member must pay the Standard Rate for a minimum of a standard room."

I don't know what's considered a "deluxe room" at PH St Kitts, but I'd guess it's at least an Ocean View room and priced at maybe 3x your current rate. If you're willing to pay that rate, contact Hyatt again, preferably through your MHC or the twitter team.
thano’s this is helpful. I was told this by the Twitter team which surprised me, I expected them to be my best bet at a single source of truth.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by BOSflyer87
thano’s this is helpful. I was told this by the Twitter team which surprised me, I expected them to be my best bet at a single source of truth.
I've gotten similar responses for other resorts too though... end of the day, I've never been able to redeem 9k/night for a premium suite upgrade. Seems like there is a designated high-priced room that one must buy to be able to do it (also make sure that the target suite shows up as being available for points as a "Premium Suite" redemption on hyatt.com, otherwise it's not attainable anyhow).
Old Mar 29, 2021, 5:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globe, AA EXP, Marriott Gold
Hoping someone who has done this before can lend me some insight here. I have a standard room booked at the healthcare worker 189 rate for 5 nights in may. originally i was planning on just crossing my fingers on a globalist upgrade and seeing what I got, but the suites with plunge pools were starting to look really tempting and I decided to see if I could use 9,000 points per night to upgrade to a premium suite.

When I reached out to Hyatt, I was told i could upgrade to a a plunge pool suite, but that it would cost me 9,000 points per night, as well as a room rate increase to $925 per night, plus taxes and fees. put aside for a second that those rooms are bookable for less than that outright for my dates, I was very surprised as I thought the points were all that was require to book a suite upgrade if one was available. When I asked for clarification, i was told that not just at the park hyatt st kitts, but that at any hyatt globally, in order to upgrade to a a premium suite the cost was 9,000 points on top of the cash rate for the next room type down, whatever that is at each property, not a standard room.

Did I misunderstand how a points upgrade works? if it is as stated above its not very useful. curious if anyone can offer an insight here.
Yes you misunderstood and they misunderstood (sort of), but I think they quoted you the correct price.

You need to book a standard room RATE to upgrade. These are the terms for any points upgrade. It could be the cheapest room category, but must be marked "standard rate" when booking. When you look at the PH St. Kitts, the standard room rate starts in the $900. They are effectively converting your healthcare worker rate to the standard rate and then charging 9k points on top to put you in the plunge pool suite.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
On the contrary, I have thought about a 3 or 4 day weekend precisely because you can't leave.
We are thinking about doing a four day weekend in mid June. Only question will be travel restrictions.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 8:22 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mbmd
Yes you misunderstood and they misunderstood (sort of), but I think they quoted you the correct price.

You need to book a standard room RATE to upgrade. These are the terms for any points upgrade. It could be the cheapest room category, but must be marked "standard rate" when booking. When you look at the PH St. Kitts, the standard room rate starts in the $900. They are effectively converting your healthcare worker rate to the standard rate and then charging 9k points on top to put you in the plunge pool suite.
Upgrading from the least expensive room category using points is possible at non-resort properties, but not at resorts. At resorts one "must pay the Standard Rate for a minimum of a deluxe room" per the T&Cs.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 7:26 am

Thanks for all the input here, all of the answers here make sense to me, whats strange is how I've now gotten multiple answers from multiple Hyatt representatives, none of them matching the terms of the program or the thoughts here.

Needing to be on a standard rate makes sense, and needing to be at a certain threshold of room category would make sense, but the dollar amounts dont match any of that. for the dates in question, no room at the standard rate at the hotel costs 925, the 2 standard level suites are at 900 and 950 respectively. Even when I asked Hyatt reps directly for the reason behind the 925 price point, if there was a specific room or rate i needed to be paying and thats where that number came from, they couldn't tell me beyond "it is what it is". 1 representative told me that in this case the 9,000 points was acting as some kind of a small discount off the rate of the premier suite itself, and that was the closet I got to an attempted rationalization for the rate, but it doesn't match any language in the program terms and conditions.

ultimately I'm fine not being able to upgrade this room in the way I hoped, I always knew that was a possibility, but as i've dug into this use of Hyatt points I feel a bit mislead, the program tries to make it seem very clear cut what the costs will be if the room type is available, when in fact it is anything but.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
ultimately I'm fine not being able to upgrade this room in the way I hoped, I always knew that was a possibility, but as i've dug into this use of Hyatt points I feel a bit mislead, the program tries to make it seem very clear cut what the costs will be if the room type is available, when in fact it is anything but.
Check the premium upgrades thread... when the concept rolled out, we were all like "wow, 9k points for the presidential suite!" and a few folks lucked out at some amazing properties. Then, predictably, it seemed like many properties greatly curtailed the pool of upgradeable "premium suites" and increased the required rate to use a premium suite upgrade award. Overall, the 9k/night seems pretty poorly thought out by Hyatt (why should the rate be the same regardless of property category, etc.), so it's not surprising that properties are essentially making it unusable. Sucks but there's no reason it would have worked based on your health worker rate anyhow.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
When looking at making a reservation online, I am seeing both the Beachside Suite and Ocean View Suite available as the 'Standard Suite'. Can anyone confirm what a TSU puts you in or if I have the choice which is the preferred room?

TIA
Old Mar 30, 2021, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Dsm2m2
When looking at making a reservation online, I am seeing both the Beachside Suite and Ocean View Suite available as the 'Standard Suite'. Can anyone confirm what a TSU puts you in or if I have the choice which is the preferred room?

TIA
You can pick either.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 10:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
This is where the TSU is vastly superior to the points upgrades. TSU can be applied on any valid rate (for some reason Hyatt doesn't consider free night certs to be TSU upgradeable, but that's a separate rant).
So even if you've got the healthcare rate in the cheapest room in a resort you can apply TSU to get a standard suite for no additional charge.

It truly is one of the best perks of Hyatt and one of the reasons I've been loyal to them for quite some time.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 9:10 am

Programs: DL PM
Hi there,

We are planning a trip to this property for the end of May/early June. We are based in the Minneapolis-St Paul area, and I have been trying to figure out the RT-PCR test requirements for St. Kitts. According to the travel requirements page, they require the following:

Submit COVID-19 RT-PCR negative test result from a CLIA/CDC/UKAS approved lab accredited with ISO/IEO 17025 standard, taken within 72 hours of travel, along with required embarkation form and all other supporting documentation
They also link to a website - testfortravel.com - which I found a couple of clinics on. While it has been pretty easy to find a CLIA certified clinic, I'm having trouble finding one that mentioned ISO/IEO certification (I believe IEO may be a typo for IEC?).

Does anyone travelling from the USA have experience with whether the ISO/IEO certification is actually required? From some googling around it sounds like a much more common standard ex-USA, but CLIA (and CDC approval) seems more common in the USA. Would it show up on the test results somewhere? Bonus points if anyone is based in the Minneapolis area and know of a compliant clinic

Thanks!!
Old Apr 14, 2021, 1:18 pm

I did not get the impression that ISO/IEO certification was actually reviewed.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 6:13 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
It seems from the email they send you after booking that you are restricted to the hotel for 7 days after which you may leave the premises after another negative covid test. How do people feel being "stuck" in the resort for <7 days? I imagine eating and drinking on site could add up even with free breakfast. Could get boring too.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 6:15 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by exmike
It seems from the email they send you after booking that you are restricted to the hotel for 7 days after which you may leave the premises after another negative covid test. How do people feel being "stuck" in the resort for <7 days? I imagine eating and drinking on site could add up even with free breakfast. Could get boring too.
I feel the same way. Have a plunge pool exec suite stay booked for a week in June, but reconsidering due to thinking it might get a bit boring and expensive, especially due to bringing the kids.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 8:41 am

Programs: United 1K, Globalist Hyatt, Plat Marriott
I'm looking to travel in July (this year) from Chicago. Google flights has the shortest flight being 1stop and 17+ hours. Is this normal or have airlines not opened up routes there 2.5 months from now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.