Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Advice: Disappointed in Diamond Trial first stay experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2012, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

We just returned from our first stay ever at the Park Hyatt Aviara. My husband is on a Diamond trial. I think the biggest disappointment was the confusion about diamond status, and the fact that this was our one family vacation for the Summer. We were never told about the benefits of our status at the hotel. So, we were lost when it came to navigating the amenities.

When we first arrived, the front desk told us our room would have a view of the pool. In advance, we had requested any view other than of the pool. The front desk offered us the ability to downgrade our room from a deluxe suite to a regular suite if we wanted a better view. No big deal, but that was just the beginning. We had to tell her we had diamond status when she started telling us about the daily charges for breakfasts, internet, etc. Then she told us two meals per day would be free. So much for the diamond treatment.

We had five registered guests in the room. The roll-away bed that had been confirmed with our reservation did not arrive until 10pm, after two phone calls to the front desk. The sofabed was stained and uncomfortable. We had to pile the couch cushions under the sheet to make it usable for our kids. The door to the guest bathroom was stuck and required a strong person to open and close. The phone in the bedroom did not work. No pillows were provided for the sofa bed nor the roll-away. On the second night, my internet access suddenly changed from free to pay, and an ATT window popped up for me to "bill my room" for 5 access attempts ($50-something). I even used twitter to let the Hyatt concierge know, but I never heard back. That was unexpected.

All breakfasts at the California Bistro were charged to our room in full, even when we told the host that we had diamond status. We were embarrassed when our server told us she would have to call the front desk to check our rate details before correcting the bill to reflect the buy one get one breakfast rate for our children. She was embarrassed to have to tell us the front desk had no idea what we were talking about. Awkward!

The front desk was able to correct the charges at check-out, but argued that diamond membership included only two breakfasts (in hotels without an executive lounge). He was training a new rep at the time, and told us "we have a lot of diamond members come through here, and it's always been a maximum of 2 free breakfasts." He held to his beliefs, even when we told him the terms and conditions stated "4 registered guests." Wow. I sure feel special, front desk guy.

All in all, a humiliating experience.

The advice I'm looking what you would do if you had this kind of experience. Is this the kind of experience common, or did we just happen upon stressed out employees after a big function on the weekend?

Thanks,

The Robbins Family
Old Jun 29, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
It sounds like possibly your account was not updated to diamond, and also that you had some unrealistic expectations.

Based on your description, I don't know what to think. A few minor issues (where there admitedly should be none) combined with expectations on your end that I'm not completely sure were reasonable or accurate give me nothing but confusion.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

I see your point about unrealistic expectations, and my descriptions certainly show that I am not a reviewer by trade. Even so, the front desk staff was rude, especially considering that several of them knew less about their employer's loyalty program policies than a novice like me.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:20 pm

My 2 cents is that you need to try out other Hyatts as what you experienced at Park Hyatt Aviara may be typical there but isn't typical as a whole within the Hyatt chain. I too had a similar experience there my first (and only) visit. Typically everywhere else I stay I get the "thank you for being a Diamond member" at check-in and they proceed to tell me about my benefits. On my visit to the Park Hyatt Aviara I got the feeling that Diamond status didn't matter at the hotel. No mention of Diamond status at check-in, no welcome letter stating Diamond benefits as is typical at a number of other properties and I had to ask about the availability of their Diamond amenity (and which point I was orally told some options but they didn't hand me the typical amenity card to fill out/make my selections).

Later I had to ask about Diamond breakfast and when the front desk mentioned it was only for two people I had to mention I had kids also and I understood the breakfast was for up to four registered guests. At breakfast the hostess asked for our name/room and then had us wait what felt like a unreasonably long time even though there were many open seats and the breakfast was buffet (I've never had to wait to be seated as long as I had to wait at the Park Hyatt Aviara). A similar sized party came in after us and another party but was seated before both of the earlier arriving parties (the hostess took their name/room and then she said something like we'll get you seated right away). I think I read something about Former Four Seasons guests who came year after year being treated better than Diamond members--- sounds like loyalty/return guests are the focus over first time guests that are loyal to Hyatt (e.g. first-time visiting Diamond members such as yourself).

In the end I have mixed feelings about the Park Hyatt Aviara. I didn't feel special at the hotel (yes perhaps this is vain but I make sure I maintain Diamond status b/c I like how I'm treated as a Diamond member). I may visit again because they do a number of special things those traveling with kids will appreciate: wagon of toys and each kid gets to pick one, welcome amenity on the first night for each kid, and a diaper genie pail in addition to the standard crib (first Hyatt I've stayed at that delivered a diaper genie which I thought was an added touch). They also had some free kid crafts the time we stayed, the separate kids pool was nice and the grounds are beautiful. Last of all they are super close to Legoland. If I go again I just won't expect to be recognized for my Diamond status the way other hotels do! At least I'll be a return guest next time
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:36 pm

We had the same experience a year ago at the Park Hyatt Aviara. Diamond status recognition was very spotty, and we felt like if we asked questions at the front desk, we were being almost intrusive. We've noticed some of the same problems at other Hyatt properties recently, although they bent over backwards for us in Kauai. I think you have to give Hyatt another chance before making any conclusions as to the whether or not the benefits are worth the continuing stays. After almost 20 years with Diamond status, we're now on the fence.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 4:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
2nd request:

Isn't it possible to consolidate all 'Hyatt is really bad, I will never stay there again after my trial is over and the four suite upgrades have been used' threads into one major thread, maybe even a sticky one at the top.

A win win for everybody:

Entertainment for Hyatt forum users

Massive cost savings for Hyatt GPP, because nobody will ever request a trial anymore.

More suites available for really loyal Diamond guests, more helpdesk capacity available for loyal Diamonds

Even more revenue for the other hotel chains...
Old Jun 30, 2012, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FD1971
2nd request:

Isn't it possible to consolidate all 'Hyatt is really bad, I will never stay there again after my trial is over and the four suite upgrades have been used' threads into one major thread, maybe even a sticky one at the top.

A win win for everybody:

Entertainment for Hyatt forum users

Massive cost savings for Hyatt GPP, because nobody will ever request a trial anymore.

More suites available for really loyal Diamond guests, more helpdesk capacity available for loyal Diamonds

Even more revenue for the other hotel chains...
+1!
Old Jun 30, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Warning: Rambling Free Advice Content In No Special Order

I should go mow the yard before it gets hotter, but I can't help myself. I have not been to this hotel, but I have been Diamond for many years and traveled with three kids. Maybe I can save you some learning curve.

1. Why is your husband on a Diamond Trial anyway?--Is he a frequent guest at another hotel chain and not satisfied? The grass is greener? What do you hope to accomplish by being Hyatt Diamond? All chains are different in some way, and he needs to find the best fit and stop. When I traveled on business almost every single week, I prioritized Hyatt over Marriott, SPG, and Hilton because of far better resort redemption value and faster free night earning so we could go places and make the nights on the road worth it.

The first point is still true and the second has gone away. Since the second has gone away, if I were doing it now I might reconsider my rankings. Concierge clubs really helped get through it just to have another set of walls and not have to stare at a menu by myself, but they are less common at Hyatt outside of very major cities. That might be what is of most value to him, and it is a hard call. In the process I discovered some Hyatt favorite vacation locations I still hit every year, and I mean every year, which makes keeping Hyatt status important to me. But if I was starting from scratch like you that might not be a driver for me.

So why are you on the trial and does he really expect to jump? Unless he travels all the time its hard to keep up more than one program anyway.

2. Staff unfamiliar with the details is the norm, or at least common--I've had FDC's act like they were doing a special favor letting Mrs. Jayer eat free with me. At many hotels the dining staff is not involved in determining who eats free and the charges are pulled in the back office. They may not know or care to be involved. Way better than it used to be, but if they have not mentioned free food I just write Diamond on the charge slip and leave.

I learned a long time ago to proof the folio the night before. Its always wrong.

Paper is your friend. Hard to always remember to do, but printouts of the reservation and associated rate rules have saved me more than once. Managers may know and clear it up, or may be freelancing their own rules and be the problem. There are also ownership groups who do not comply with the brand standard and leave their staff hanging out in the middle facing customer wrath. (Comments in this paragraph not restricted to Hyatt).

So have you checked their website to see if there is a two-person breakfast limit stated? Or e-mailed or called Hyatt GP CS to see if they show a limitation on the number eating breakfast at that location? Generally speaking, the question has come up on this board before, and the number is usually (at least) four, but, despite the GP staff's public attempts to standardize that benefit there are a few hotels on special rules.

I'm unsure of your final situation. Did you end up paying more for food than you thought you should, or fixing the bill was just unpleasant? If you think there is still any need to clarify, especially if you think you may be owed a refund, e-mail Gold Passport and make a request. They are overwhelmingly pleasant to work with, and you can e-mail them at midnight if that is when you have the time.

3. Five people in one hotel room is not a vacation.--If they are too little to have a kids room or that is just too much expense, then you will be happier in a condo or fewer-stars hotel where two connecting rooms cost less. Especially if you have teenage girls. The rollaways are usually late. The fold out has usually been jumped on and sucks. We tried to save that money way too long and had lots of vacation trauma that could have been avoided. Despite Hyatt promos to the contrary, a stay with multiple kids will be happier in other kinds of lodgings. If the driver is a free breakfast for everyone that might be the first mistake.

Last edited by jayer; Jul 1, 2012 at 9:47 am
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:54 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

This board seems to be full with people lately who hardly post and when they do it's only to complain about something. And normally they don't even bother to follow up their first few postings.

And I suspect this is again an example where there is really no intention of becomming a loyal Hyatt customer but the only interest is in getting a free suite upgrade and/or breakfast by applying for the Diamond trial.

First stay at a property and a first stay in the trail and already complaining of not feeling special.... Come on, first show a little loyalty before expecting to be treated like a king. They are running a business....

Sure, there is no excuse for being treated rudely, but we all know it can sometimes happen. Having realistic expectations is probably a good starting point.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:29 am

Programs: LH, United, Hyatt, Air France
Originally Posted by TerryK
+1!
+1 Enough of those non-loyal customers...and stop the promotion with the Hyatt Visa Card which is only for U.S. residents. How can Hyatt claim to be a global chain and respect their loyal customer when they give upgrades and status so easily while we had to earn the hard way.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Sorry. Just a mistake.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 5:45 pm

I made my first trip to the PH Aviara a few weeks ago. I was greeted and welcomed as a Diamond and also received a letter outlining the Diamond benefits. Service at the restaurant and throughout the hotel was excellent.

I was there for two nights. Breakfast at California Bistro was good and we had the same server both days. On the first day, he told us breakfast was included and we didn't have to do anything. On the second day, he remembered us and let us know he didn't see any notes about complimentary breakfast. I let him know I was a Diamond and then he stepped away for a few minutes and returned to let us know that we were all set.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 6:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by acsmonaut
We just returned from our first stay ever at the Park Hyatt Aviara. My husband is on a Diamond trial. I think the biggest disappointment was the confusion about diamond status, and the fact that this was our one family vacation for the Summer. We were never told about the benefits of our status at the hotel. So, we were lost when it came to navigating the amenities.
bold my emphasis

Who's fault is this?

You were lost when it came to navigating the amenities

If you were a Diamond on a trial membership; don't you think (and for me this is common sense) to:

1. print out the diamond benefits and maybe read them before you arrive
2. Do some sort of review as to how Diamonds are treated at this property whether on FT or some other review site?

regarding the rest of the post, when on a long stay, i.e, 3+ nights, I always ask for a copy of my folio periodically (at any chain) to make sure the things that 1. I thought were free and 2. that should be free are actually free

One thing that confuses me is you state in your 3rd paragraph that you had "5" registered guests then in the 5th paragraph mention "4" registered guests.

How many free b/f's do you think Plat GP members get (without it included in their rate)? You are more special then they are. Two b/f's would pretty much put you close to the top of the DYKWIA totem pole.

While it could have been a better stay, humiliating leads me to think, you are really over dramatizing this stay, you didn't post all the negative things that went on during this trip (I doubt its that either), or you have led a very charmed life.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 4:47 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
acsmonaut,
I am not going to rehash all that has been said, but I am confused as to how you found this experience "humiliating". I cannot count the number of times I have been in the restaurant, at the front desk, checking in OR out, and had to go through the bill line by line. It is not unusual, has never seemed a big deal, and have not ever once felt humiliated. Nor have I thought so watching others experience it. I would agree to slight annoyance, but that's about it.
It seems you are being rather unkind about a trainee- have you never been new at something? It may be easier to push it off onto others, but the reality is that you are responsible for awareness of your benefits...including the correct posting of points after your stay. (hint, hint).
Using "Twitter" to advise the Concierge of a problem? With the issues you had experienced, did you truly believe that was the best way to address an Internet access situation? That seems to me to almost be a certainty for a non-response.
Did you research the suite/ pool view situation before you booked? I also do not like a pool view, but if you are requesting a room type that ONLY overlooks the pool, what is the hotel to do? For most people, room type trumps view...so IMO, the hotel made the correct decision. At least they did not downgrade you without discussion.

You ask "what would you do if it happened to you - whether it is common, or a result of stressed out employees". While I don't think it is common, it isn't so unusual as to be thought rare, either. What would I do? Fix what I could, forget the rest, and move on. Actually, although not quite identical in specifics, it DID recently happen to me - at a different Park Hyatt.
It would be crazy to let such things ruin our trip...so we didn't.

Last edited by sophiegirl; Jul 1, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.