Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Boston Financial District REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Boston Financial District REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2012, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Right you are - partly - maybe. Walking through the Common just now - and it is cold with the wind - there was someone with a microphone offering chances on a trip to Disney World and promoting of the highlights of First Night - including the early fireworks on the Common. But the main schedule tells of the ones at the waterfront. I'm sure of less now than I thought I was upon entering this conversation. Anyway, time to add layers and head out to more events. Someone point me to the hot cocoa.....

HNY!
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy LT Plat Elite, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Firewind
Right you are - partly - maybe. Walking through the Common just now - and it is cold with the wind - there was someone with a microphone offering chances on a trip to Disney World and promoting of the highlights of First Night - including the early fireworks on the Common. But the main schedule tells of the ones at the waterfront. I'm sure of less now than I thought I was upon entering this conversation. Anyway, time to add layers and head out to more events. Someone point me to the hot cocoa.....

HNY!
Exactly! There were fireworks on the Common at 7pm.

The Hyatt Regency is conveniently located between the Common and the Harbor so we walked to both Firework displays.
It was a fun night and we stayed warm enough in our layers.

I ordered off the menu at breakfast and my husband was told that only the buffet was included in the 'package'. He pointed out his diamond status and they 'removed it as a courtesy this time', hmm OK thanks.

The elevators were broken and the hotel must have been close to capacity so generally I think the staff did a great job. We were greeted warmly by several people as we came and went during our stay.

Rooms are a little tired looking. We had a corner suite (Lafayette?) on the 8th floor so no view to speak of.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 2:22 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Just finished a stay here. I was upgraded to a large suite which was a nice touch. The front desk staff were very good, if a little overwhelmed as two people were trying to check in a lot of people.

Room service was very good and the breakfast - griddle cakes - was mouthwatering.

Overall a very good stay.

HR Boston Suite by nigelrturner, on Flickr

HR Boston Suite Bedroom by nigelrturner, on Flickr

HR Boston Suite Living Room by nigelrturner, on Flickr
Old Feb 11, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Just finished my Sunday night stay at this hotel. This hotel is definitely sub-par. During checkin, no one was at the elite desk. Com-on, it's 4pm, the official check-in time! I saw huge black trash bags filled with linens on the corridor. I don't see that even in cheap airport hotels. The diamond breakfast buffet is pathetic, selections include hash-brown, egg-white, pancakes and bacon. With bacon the only meat item. I would not return next time, looking into IC or JW instead.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 4:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mediator
Just finished my Sunday night stay at this hotel. This hotel is definitely sub-par. During checkin, no one was at the elite desk. Com-on, it's 4pm, the official check-in time! I saw huge black trash bags filled with linens on the corridor. I don't see that even in cheap airport hotels. The diamond breakfast buffet is pathetic, selections include hash-brown, egg-white, pancakes and bacon. With bacon the only meat item. I would not return next time, looking into IC or JW instead.
That's too bad you had such a bad experience!

Was there not someone at the breakfast buffet making omelettes/eggs/pancakes to order? When I stayed for 3 nights a month ago, in addition to the usual hot and cold items (which included sausage as well as bacon for meat plus a very nice homemade muesli), they had someone stationed there cooking eggs, omelettes, pancakes, etc. to order and overall I thought the buffet wasn't bad at all and comparable to most Hyatt buffets. I could see how if they didn't have someone cooking things to order that the hot items would be rather limited!

Maybe my expectations were lower than yours since my last stay was probably 7 or 8+ years ago, not long after they switched to Hyatt from Swissotel, and other than the $40 priceline rates which back then counted for stay credit and FFNs, that hotel did not have much going for it back then! So I was VERY pleased this stay with the changes they've made since then and thought this a perfectly nice full service Hyatt that I would absolutely stay at again. The Lafayette suite wasn't huge but was very comfortable, staff was very friendly and nice, I enjoyed the Diamond breakfast, had no problems with dirty linen bags in the hall on my floor, and I had no major complaints.

I wonder if either the recent weather or various sicknesses going around Boston could have left them understaffed for your stay?
Old Feb 11, 2013, 6:18 pm

Oh I forgot someone was making omelettes. The made to order omelett was OK, nothing special about it. When I stayed at the Hyatt at Olive 8 in Seattle, I could pick anything from their menu for breakfast. I could still remember the taste of the dungeness crab benedict. Anyway, my standard might be higher since I usually stay at HI/HIX. But still, leaving big, black trash bags on the corridor for hours is really unpleasant. And there isn't only one!

When I checked in, there were 2 agents at first. One is just finishing checking-in a couple, the other was typing. Once he finished check-in the couple, he noticed me standing in front of the elite desk (like a idiot) and checked me in promptly. I should have used the regular line instead. Sigh.

Just to add, on the Hyatt website they said: "Completed in late 2012, Hyatt Regency Boston has a brand new, stylish and sophisticated look and feel. " But I see no sign of renovation at all. Especially the elevators, the LEDs are so old that I could barely tell the floor number it's displaying.

Originally Posted by oc2005
That's too bad you had such a bad experience!

Was there not someone at the breakfast buffet making omelettes/eggs/pancakes to order? When I stayed for 3 nights a month ago, in addition to the usual hot and cold items (which included sausage as well as bacon for meat plus a very nice homemade muesli), they had someone stationed there cooking eggs, omelettes, pancakes, etc. to order and overall I thought the buffet wasn't bad at all and comparable to most Hyatt buffets. I could see how if they didn't have someone cooking things to order that the hot items would be rather limited!

Maybe my expectations were lower than yours since my last stay was probably 7 or 8+ years ago, not long after they switched to Hyatt from Swissotel, and other than the $40 priceline rates which back then counted for stay credit and FFNs, that hotel did not have much going for it back then! So I was VERY pleased this stay with the changes they've made since then and thought this a perfectly nice full service Hyatt that I would absolutely stay at again. The Lafayette suite wasn't huge but was very comfortable, staff was very friendly and nice, I enjoyed the Diamond breakfast, had no problems with dirty linen bags in the hall on my floor, and I had no major complaints.

I wonder if either the recent weather or various sicknesses going around Boston could have left them understaffed for your stay?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:39 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Thumbs up

I had no problems with my recent stay and would absolutely recommend this property. I received a great room, great customer service and ordered breakfast from the a la carte menu - a mountain of pancakes and fresh fruit.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 4:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Dia; MR Gold; SPG Plat; UA Plat; US Silver, *A G
Just completed 2 night stay on a BRG. Overall it was a really pleasant experience. Sure the rooms are a bit dated, but the common areas are fresh and the service was great from check-in, to breakfast, to valet.

The hotel has a great location for Boston--especially if you'll be using the T (walkable to Park Street (Green), Downtown Crossing (Red/Orange), and South Station (Red/Silver).

I would definitely stay here again when in town. The service truly was great.
Old May 7, 2013, 3:59 pm

Seeing as all the diamonds before me seem to have received very generous upgrades, I checked into this property today and was told the hotel is completely full and the best they could do was a room on the 18th floor.

Fair enough, but a quick check on hyatt.com showed every single room type including corner rooms still available for sale. No big deal, but probably a good idea (for me included) to manage expectations next time I'm checking in here.

Having said that, it's in a great location close to most of the tourist spots, although some locals have said I should avoid the Downtown Crossing station late at night.
Old May 8, 2013, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by carmy
Seeing as all the diamonds before me seem to have received very generous upgrades, I checked into this property today and was told the hotel is completely full and the best they could do was a room on the 18th floor.

Fair enough, but a quick check on hyatt.com showed every single room type including corner rooms still available for sale. No big deal, but probably a good idea (for me included) to manage expectations next time I'm checking in here.

Having said that, it's in a great location close to most of the tourist spots, although some locals have said I should avoid the Downtown Crossing station late at night.
Just grab your iphone/blackberry out and open the hyatt.com reservation page, call it bluff

Last edited by mediator; May 8, 2013 at 9:06 pm
Old Jul 16, 2013, 1:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold Elite, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Best Western Diamond Select
I just stayed here and have to agree with Mediator. I was also greeted by a black trash bag full of dirty linens at my door.

No bottled water--complimentary or otherwise--unless it was in the fridge that I wasn't allowed to use (it even had a big, red STOP sign on it). No in-room safe. Only a handful of channels on the TV, none of them HD, all of them blurry. Very old, shabby furniture.

The service was very good, but in general, this hotel leaves a lot to be desired. Hard to believe it's a Hyatt Regency.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 4:34 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Freckles68
I just stayed here and have to agree with Mediator. I was also greeted by a black trash bag full of dirty linens at my door.
Housekeeping is definitely a weak spot for this property-- but this is one of the properties where they notoriously fired all the housekeeping staff and replaced them with (allegedly minimum-wage) contractors who likely don't have too much invested in the hotel and thus don't have the same attention to detail as a long-term employee might.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hyatt_100
Old Aug 2, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: Marriott Gold
Which is the better property in Boston, this one or the Cambridge Hyatt Regency?
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Not impressed

Things always start well when you are handed your keys and told to enjoy your king room. Only problem is that we had booked a suite. It took them about 10-15 minutes to figure it out and put us into a suite. They even said they were going to do us a favor and make it a good room. It was a typical suite with a very run down bathroom. They even saw the upgrade note in Opera but someone overlooked it they said. I guess I am used to getting my keys quickly and going to the room so having to wait around in the lobby with barely an apology was not the way we wated to start our trip.

The bathroom sink looked like it could collapse if someone leaned against it too hard. It was at a noticable angle sloping downward. The rest of the room also seemed very dated and in need of repair. My wife compared it to a Super 8 motel room.

The breakfast area was very busy which made it hard to order from the omelette station. Just stuck with the hot pan dishes. The food was fine and of typical hyatt dining room quality.

The pool and gym area were great and it was nice to have access to a steam and sauna.

The location is also great.

Those are about the only nice things I can say for this property. I would not return here as there are many other quality hotels in the area.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by mediator
Oh I forgot someone was making omelettes. The made to order omelett was OK, nothing special about it. When I stayed at the Hyatt at Olive 8 in Seattle, I could pick anything from their menu for breakfast. I could still remember the taste of the dungeness crab benedict. Anyway, my standard might be higher since I usually stay at HI/HIX. But still, leaving big, black trash bags on the corridor for hours is really unpleasant. And there isn't only one!

When I checked in, there were 2 agents at first. One is just finishing checking-in a couple, the other was typing. Once he finished check-in the couple, he noticed me standing in front of the elite desk (like a idiot) and checked me in promptly. I should have used the regular line instead. Sigh.

Just to add, on the Hyatt website they said: "Completed in late 2012, Hyatt Regency Boston has a brand new, stylish and sophisticated look and feel. " But I see no sign of renovation at all. Especially the elevators, the LEDs are so old that I could barely tell the floor number it's displaying.
Lobby (3rd flr) is night and day from pre reno to post reno.

I've had the lobster Benedict as part of my diamond breakfast.

Originally Posted by tomcat007
Which is the better property in Boston, this one or the Cambridge Hyatt Regency?
Maybe you could expand on which aspect you were asking about?

Originally Posted by ronbo83
Things always start well when you are handed your keys and told to enjoy your king room. Only problem is that we had booked a suite. It took them about 10-15 minutes to figure it out and put us into a suite. They even said they were going to do us a favor and make it a good room. It was a typical suite with a very run down bathroom. They even saw the upgrade note in Opera but someone overlooked it they said. I guess I am used to getting my keys quickly and going to the room so having to wait around in the lobby with barely an apology was not the way we wated to start our trip.

The bathroom sink looked like it could collapse if someone leaned against it too hard. It was at a noticable angle sloping downward. The rest of the room also seemed very dated and in need of repair. My wife compared it to a Super 8 motel room.

The breakfast area was very busy which made it hard to order from the omelette station. Just stuck with the hot pan dishes. The food was fine and of typical hyatt dining room quality.

The pool and gym area were great and it was nice to have access to a steam and sauna.

The location is also great.

Those are about the only nice things I can say for this property. I would not return here as there are many other quality hotels in the area.
I fully agree with you about nicer properties in the area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.