Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Orange County (Anaheim) CA REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency Orange County (Anaheim) CA REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 31, 69, 9:00 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by:
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 22, 10, 4:31 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by JonathanIT View Post
lbskinny is correct, if it is a one-bedroom suite they are all completely renovated... if it is a Conference King (sometimes called Executive King), none of them are completed yet. I prefer the Conference King rooms myself.
Great! Thank you for the reply.

Why do you like the conference king rooms? I have never been to this property.

ERQ
Old Jan 23, 10, 1:39 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by ERQTraveler View Post
Why do you like the conference king rooms? I have never been to this property.
They are very large rooms with a king bed, large sitting area with two sofas and two chairs, and a large conference (or dining) table with 4-6 chairs. Lots of room to spread out. Plus, the views are great as they are north facing in the South Tower, on the upper floors with floor to ceiling windows. Very open, and bright with lots of light. They have twice the window area of all other rooms because they are twice the width.

The one odd thing is that many of these rooms have balconies, but the doors do not open (they overlook the large 17 story atrium). I am writing this post sitting in one right now. And after the long rainstorms can I say how beautiful the view is right now on a gorgeous and bright sunny SoCal day!

The 1-BR suites are rather small and confining IMHO. The living room where you enter has no windows, so is rather dim. The bedrooms are better with large windows but still feel small. On the lower floors in suites facing the lobby it is a bit strange because in the bedroom you are standing in front of floor to ceiling glass just above the lobby. It's like you are on display in a zoo! Really weird.

I think overall the Conference King rooms are much bigger area wise than the one bedroom suites, by at least 50%. At least it feels that way.

Note: all of these rooms are in the South Tower, where they have has just started on the room renovations. It looks like floor 17 and maybe floor 16 are now "locked off". This will limit availability of these rooms as they are all on the upper floors in the South Tower. I can't wait to see them after they are completed, they will be spectacular! It is also worthwhile to note that you shouldn't be hesitant or concerned about them currently being unrenovated... they are hardly worn and completley fine.

Last edited by JonathanIT; Jan 23, 10 at 2:24 pm Reason: added info.
Old Jan 23, 10, 1:45 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Stayed here on a $69 rate last weekend. Was given one of the family suites with a bunk-bed. Not the greatest room, but if we had kids along it would have been great. The breakfast was in the conference room, but the food was good. The lobby is extremely torn up, but it makes it worth it to get the hard-hat rate.

Other than the parking fee it was a good stay for the price.
Old Jan 23, 10, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, WoH 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
The one odd thing is that many of these rooms have balconies, but the doors do not open (they overlook the large 17 story atrium).
Um, there was a story|legend many years ago that, lets say that what happened during two conferences I attended at Hyatts - one in Atlanta, and one in New Orleans - happened there. If it can be any tougher on little kids, a lot more little kids stay there... (Or maybe because there are so many kids who stay in those rooms.) Well, anyway, that may be your explanation.

On a better note, congratulations on being there on such a spectacular day!

Last edited by Firewind; Jan 23, 10 at 2:05 pm
Old Jan 23, 10, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PLT 1.75MM, Hyatt-Discoverist, Starriott-Gold, Super 8--Formica
They are very large rooms with a king bed, large sitting area with two sofas and two chairs, and a large conference (or dining) table with 4-6 chairs. Lots of room to spread out. Plus, the views are great as they are north facing in the South Tower, on the upper floors with floor to ceiling windows. Very open, and bright with lots of light. They have twice the window area of all other rooms because they are twice the width.

The one odd thing is that many of these rooms have balconies, but the doors do not open (they overlook the large 17 story atrium). I am writing this post sitting in one right now. And after the long rainstorms can I say how beautiful the view is right now on a gorgeous and bright sunny SoCal day!

The 1-BR suites are rather small and confining IMHO. The living room where you enter has no windows, so is rather dim. The bedrooms are better with large windows but still feel small. On the lower floors in suites facing the lobby it is a bit strange because in the bedroom you are standing in front of floor to ceiling glass just above the lobby. It's like you are on display in a zoo! Really weird.

I think overall the Conference King rooms are much bigger area wise than the one bedroom suites, by at least 50%. At least it feels that way.

Note: all of these rooms are in the South Tower, where they have has just started on the room renovations. It looks like floor 17 and maybe floor 16 are now "locked off". This will limit availability of these rooms as they are all on the upper floors in the South Tower. I can't wait to see them after they are completed, they will be spectacular! It is also worthwhile to note that you shouldn't be hesitant or concerned about them currently being unrenovated... they are hardly worn and completley fine.
So, one question I have is whether the conference kings have a Disneyland fireworks view. Most, if not all, of the 1 br suites do not have a view of fireworks.

Hotel sells a Disney fireworks view room, BTW.

Last edited by Trustguy; Jan 23, 10 at 8:12 pm Reason: Fireworks room comment
Old Jan 24, 10, 12:18 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Trustguy View Post
So, one question I have is whether the conference kings have a Disneyland fireworks view. Most, if not all, of the 1 br suites do not have a view of fireworks.

Hotel sells a Disney fireworks view room, BTW.
I believe they all are overlooking the atrium ... the photo below is from Conference suite 1503:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/4246488729/

I also like the conference suite due to its huge size with living room area and dining/conference table and six comfortable chairs although the "suite" still retains the old crt TV.
Old Jan 24, 10, 1:40 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
From the looks of it, they went with a different color scheme than the original plans in the new rooms. Last time I stayed here, I was given a renovated show suite (I believe the only renovated room at the time, per the front desk) and the carpet was a weird patterned brown/tan with laces of green in it. It was rather interesting to say the least. I had pictures of it, but have unfortunately since lost that memory card.
Old Jan 24, 10, 11:56 am

Programs: Various
I haven't reviewed everything in this thread, but I will add some coments and feedback in the next few days.

The first advice I would give to anybody staying here is to have lunch or dinner at this nearby restaurant, which IMO is one of the best Thai restaurants in Southern California:

Thai Nakorn
12521 Garden Grove Blvd
Garden Grove CA 92834

It's located within 2 miles of the hotel and pretty much anything your order is stellar (taste, quality, portion) LMK if you need recommendations.
Old Jan 24, 10, 12:41 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
OT

Originally Posted by Robt760 View Post
I haven't reviewed everything in this thread, but I will add some coments and feedback in the next few days.

The first advice I would give to anybody staying here is to have lunch or dinner at this nearby restaurant, which IMO is one of the best Thai restaurants in Southern California:

Thai Nakorn
12521 Garden Grove Blvd
Garden Grove CA 92834
I respectfully disagree with your opinion as I have dined at Thai Nakorn and did not find it special.

My recommendation, however, for authentic Thai food close to the Hyatt OC is:

Jumpa Thai Cuisine
12085 Brookhurst Street (@ Chapman)
Garden Grove, CA 92844
(714) 537-1076

At the Pavilion Plaza Shopping Center 2 miles west of the hotel. Try the fried fish, the sauteed eggplants and other favorite Thai dishes.
Old Jan 25, 10, 3:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
I was told sometime a while ago that the rooms for a view of the fireworks are in the South tower and the view is through the atrium windows BUT, I stayed in a kids suite (1065) a few weeks ago and had a great view of the fireworks - and the room did not face the atrium. It also had an outside windows in both rooms which is extra nice. (They still don't open) It was a bit smaller than the other kids suites but didn't matter to us. My husband and I stayed in one room and daughter and her friend in the bunk beds in the next room.
Stayed again this weekend with a friend and our kids in room 1061. It had two windows in the kids room only, one overlooking the atrium and one outside - we could see some fireworks so it was nice although our kids are so used to seeing them all the time that it doesn't matter too much. I liked this room because it was bigger and had double doors between the bedrooms. Plus having at least one window facing outside (not through the atrium) is nicer. I have never liked atrium rooms - at any Hyatt.

lbskinny
Old Jan 25, 10, 4:03 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Be aware there might be a picket line to cross...

It appears this property is involved in a labor dispute... about 11:00a this morning a large and boisterous contingent of laborers (and supporters) showed up with signs and began a picket line in front of the (temporary) main entrance. I think they were carrying signs referring to a carpenters union, although I can see (and hear) that the remodeling construction continues.

Last edited by JonathanIT; Jan 26, 10 at 12:32 pm Reason: correction
Old Jan 25, 10, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Noisy

There Union picketing around 11 to noon, very noisy, the property is excellent. Breakfast is good serving at some kind of halls on left side.

Overall excellent deal!!!
Old Jan 26, 10, 12:33 am

When I checked out around 11 AM, after a great breakfast (thank you Ms. Vivian), the rambunctious picketers hollered at me criticizing the property in a disparaging manner. I turned around and snapshot this photo as I walked away towards my vehicle:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/4306060966/

Last edited by Kalboz; Jan 27, 10 at 6:55 pm
Old Jan 26, 10, 1:50 am

Programs: Various
Update to add:

+ I asked about bathroom sizes in the rooms and suites, and was told that all rooms have the same basic bathroom, same sized bath tub, with only slightly different actual space. To me they are quite petite, and the bathtubs are small.

+ The renovated King Suites have a mini microwave and refrigerator in-room, and have two LCD/HDTVs, with the living room taking the cake with (I'd guess) a 52" panel. There are plugs on the desk to hook up your computer, camera, etc. I didn't have all of my cables, and didn't try it.

+ The renovated King Suites have a separator door between the bedroom and living room, which helps cut some hallway noise, but not atrium noise if you are on that side of the building.

+ There are NO in-room safes in any of the rooms I have been in. Odd for a "convention" hotel.

+ Street parking (maybe I shouldn't tell everybody, but here goes) on Chapman, just West of the hotel is free and usually available (2 block walk) and the restrictions on both sides of the street are NO PARKING on Thursday from 5:00 AM - 9:00 AM.

+ Hyatt Gift Certificate was accepted at check in on my recent stay and posted as a credit immediately. I was on the AAA BRK rate.

+ I would rate the Hyatt Hotels in the area as follows:

HR Huntington Beach A-
HR Irvine B+
HR Orange County B
HR Newport Beach C-
HR Long Beach C
Old Jan 26, 10, 2:06 am

Great report Robt760 thanks ^

I agree with pretty much everything you mentioned. The Kid's Suite, however, has three (3) LCD TVs, one in each bedroom and a large one in the living room. The bathroom, as you mentioned, is the same size as other suites/rooms in this hotel but you get two here.

See Kid's Suite # 772 here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/

Search this Thread
Search Engine: