Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Coral Gables (Miami) FL REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Coral Gables (Miami) FL REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2010, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I was here on a PL stay. I was given the Diamond breakfast and internet. The breakfast in the restaurant was great.

No upgrade...not that I really expected one on a priceline stay...but the checkin lady said that they normally give the jr. suite upgrade to diamonds but that it was 'sold out' for the weekend (well not according to the website--it wasn't sold out for the jr. suite) and that I would receive 1000 GP points instead. I never received the GP... no surprise there on a priceline stay. It was a little troubling that she went out of her way to talk about the diamond upgrades and how nothing was available...and the website said otherwise. I did get a nice room next to the ice machine
On a PL stay, I expect nothing in terms of an upgrade and expect rooms next to the ice machine... so please don't give me some line and not follow through on the points--better to say nothing than lie.

On PL stays I always take the welcome amenity instead of the points as the 1W never seems to post on the priceline stays. I had the tapas. It was pretty good. The sausage was a bit too spicy for my taste.

Other than this little issue. the hotel was nice. It is a bit out of the way unless one has business in the hotel's proximity. It is close to the airport though and there is a bus that goes practically from the front door right to the airport. If you want to visit South Beach etc. it is too far unless you rent a car...it takes at least an hour on the bus.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 9:22 pm
pdb

Originally Posted by Renard
...On PL stays I always take the welcome amenity instead of the points as the 1W never seems to post on the priceline stays...
I believe that on a PL or on an Award stay, so long as you have some charge on your account (e.g. telephone call), the 1W should post without having to call GP CS. In the absence of automatically posting, GP CS will post the 1W for you, if you call them with the reservation number.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 7:33 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond
Good stay

Just finished a two-night stay, was very pleased.

Had booked two rooms on a single reservation, both were upgraded to Petite Suite which was very nicely sized. Two flat screens, big seating area, balcony. This was a x61 room.

Good Diamond recognition at checkin. No club lounge, so they gave breakfast coupons for the restaurant good for any entree, plus juice/coffee. They were also running a 20% of all food/drinks in the hotel special.

Highly recommended, especially at the $150 or so AAA rate.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 2:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by AlxStevens
Just finished a two-night stay, was very pleased.

Had booked two rooms on a single reservation, both were upgraded to Petite Suite which was very nicely sized. Two flat screens, big seating area, balcony. This was a x61 room.

Good Diamond recognition at checkin. No club lounge, so they gave breakfast coupons for the restaurant good for any entree, plus juice/coffee. They were also running a 20% of all food/drinks in the hotel special.

Highly recommended, especially at the $150 or so AAA rate.
Thanks for the update, very nice alternative in the area, but due to the new additions to the Hyatt chain in the greater Miami metro area, I actually opted for those new properties in recent months, also due to the price, which I always found to be too high at Coral Gables

Even in off-season, it does not fall below $ 150...
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:08 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FD1971
Thanks for the update, very nice alternative in the area, but due to the new additions to the Hyatt chain in the greater Miami metro area, I actually opted for those new properties in recent months, also due to the price, which I always found to be too high at Coral Gables

Even in off-season, it does not fall below $ 150...
For a lot of my business Coral Gables is much more convenient than Doral (the Blue) or South Beach (the Victor). I find $150 a pretty fair rate for a hotel of that quality in a good location.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:06 pm

does anyone know what the confirmed suite upgrade at this hotel is?
Old Jul 20, 2010, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by AlxStevens
For a lot of my business Coral Gables is much more convenient than Doral (the Blue) or South Beach (the Victor). I find $150 a pretty fair rate for a hotel of that quality in a good location.
I agree - I usually suggest this hotel, rather than the Downtown Miami Hyatt Regency as a pre-cruise hotel. Besides the better quality of the hotel itself, the surrounding area is more pleasant, there's a better selection of restaurants and shops (especially Books and Books), and the access via cab is not difficult (taking the "back door" route using Coral Way) and not that much more expensive than the cab from the DT HR.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 9:32 am

what is the diamond breakfast like? Is it a buffet? I've read comments like 1 entree + 1 drink...is that it? What are the entrees like?

thanks
Old Jul 23, 2010, 7:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Plat, Enterprise ExPlat
I stayed here back in May. Made a reservation with one of the free promo nights I had, called check in number right before I boarded my flight in Houston, and the agent upgraded me to a "petite suite."

The room was very nice and spacious, especially for 1 person for just 1 night. Never got to check out the restaurants though. The gym was a little small, but I was the only one in there so it was ok.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by bmw303
what is the diamond breakfast like? Is it a buffet? I've read comments like 1 entree + 1 drink...is that it? What are the entrees like?

thanks
Entrees are anything on the breakfast menu, which is a pretty normal hotel breakfast selection. Eggs, pancakes, waffles, benedict, omelets, etc. You can have any of them plus a drink, as you mentioned.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Are there really no more reviews since 2010 or is there another thread somewhere? I'm going to be staying here soon.

Also, there's no regency club here, right? So what rooms do diamonds get upgraded to?
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:11 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by crystak
Are there really no more reviews since 2010 or is there another thread somewhere? I'm going to be staying here soon.

Also, there's no regency club here, right? So what rooms do diamonds get upgraded to?
Some properties just don't generate much comments here in the forum - I don't recall any other discussion on the property.

Looking at the official Hyatt website - there is no RC - room types appear to be regular rooms - petite suite - then upper level suites. I'd be prepared for a regular room but past (older) reports seem to indicate routine upgrades to the petite suites - please give us a review after your stay!!
Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
The relatively low number of posts might be related to the relatively high prices for the property.

Every time I am in the area, the Regency CG is by far the most expensive property and at least for me not worth the premium vs. the Regency Miami.

Quite some people also opted for the Victor in recent years.

I stayed in a Petite Suite a few times years ago, but always on weekends.

Therefore, it is difficult to predict whether a regular Diamond has enough magic to get upgraded to such a suite constantly, especially on midweek stays with more competition for upgrades...
Old Sep 5, 2012, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott PLT, SPG PLT, AA EXP, Virgin Elevate
I stay here off and on and Diamonds usually get upgraded to the petite suite or Jr. suite depending on availability, but I have a 100% suite upgrade at this property. Some suites have a unique layout, I once had a suite on the corner of the hotel, it was sort of like a mini apartment, large bathroom, a long hallway leading to the bedroom, and living room that opened up to a private terrace with views of a lush tropical courtyard.

There is no Regency Club, but you get the free breakfast and their are plenty of wonderful restaurants in the neighborhood. There is also a publix super market and a nice Argentinian market with in walking distance.

If you have a car there is free parking in the neighborhood just north of the hotel.

Now since the Victor is gone I'll be staying here more often. I don't like the Hyatt Regency Miami as it is full of tacky cruise line tourist, the hotel is a dump. The rooms and the public areas at Coral Gables are far more luxurious than the Regency in downtown.

Originally Posted by crystak

Old Sep 26, 2012, 7:10 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Just stayed here. Nice hotel, and close to the airport, and lots of shops and restaurants within walking distance. No Regency Club. Nice staff. The "junior suite" I got upgraded to as a Diamond was just a large room with a sitting area, good enough for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.