Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
Checking in to say I redeemed a 5 night TSU on an award stay for early October. It wasn’t available at first, but I (obsessively) checked back and got lucky.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Seems like this is a good hotel to stay at, but not so much for dining options?

Looking to book here for March 2020.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 11:17 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by fishy21

I can’t speak for others but if I never left the hotel I could eat there happily
In my next lifetime I only hope heaven has a bakery that good and the dining is fairly solid historically
Years ago it was exceptional! It hasn’t been in that league in recent years

I’ve happily been driven by drivers to some great nearby restaurants
So IMHO its both a great place to stay as it is to dine and shop
Some of my other long time friends and community members are big fans
of Andaz Tokyo unfortunately I still haven’t given them a try being so happy @ The GH
fishy21 and Kacee like this.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by fishy21

Don't dine at the hotel. By Tokyo standards it is mediocre quality at rather high prices. Go out and about and experience what Tokyo has to offer. Within 15 minutes walk from the hotel you will find an abundance of really good restaurants.
fishy21 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Don't dine at the hotel. By Tokyo standards it is mediocre quality at rather high prices. Go out and about and experience what Tokyo has to offer. Within 15 minutes walk from the hotel you will find an abundance of really good restaurants.
Actually GHT food is fabulous. Certainly at its signature restaurants, the food is very good. I would definitely avoid The French Kitchen and China Room, but all others are unquestionably very good.

There is culinary nirvana within fifteen minutes walking/cab ride from the hotel, as well as culinary hell. So a bit more information is necessary to give someone the best advice.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Actually GHT food is fabulous. Certainly at its signature restaurants, the food is very good. I would definitely avoid The French Kitchen and China Room, but all others are unquestionably very good.

There is culinary nirvana within fifteen minutes walking/cab ride from the hotel, as well as culinary hell. So a bit more information is necessary to give someone the best advice.
As with everything in a large city, it requires a lot research to find where to eat. The highest rate I'd give food at the GHT is passable, but I'd need to ignore the price levels to give that grade.

The cocktails are not bad at all. Though it's been a while since I went, recently I have had a thing for Peter at the Peninsula when it comes to hotel bars.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 1:37 am

It’s very interesting that you consider prime wagyu beef and fine wines at Oak Door and Keiyakizaka merely passable. Shunbou and Roku Roku are also undoubtedly among the best hotel restaurants in their categories. Prime minister Abe often eats at Shunbou, and I suspect he eats well. I would put Roku Roku up against any hotel operated sushi restaurant in Tokyo. (This does not include Kubey or Kanesaka branch locations located within Japanese hotels, some of which may be better). Pricing is also fair at the hotel and competitive with other similar hotels.

A “fifteen minute walk” could land you in either an exceptional Michelin restaurant, or at First Kitchen.

You statement about GHT food quality is absolutely inaccurate. It is true that there are a great many good restaurants in close proximity to the hotel, but one must be well informed and selective to find the right places. The best restaurants in the city are very often discreetly located on small side streets, such that one would walk right by them unless one knew to look for them.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It’s very interesting that you consider prime wagyu beef and fine wines at Oak Door and Keiyakizaka merely passable. Shunbou and Roku Roku are also undoubtedly among the best hotel restaurants in their categories. Prime minister Abe often eats at Shunbou, and I suspect he eats well. I would put Roku Roku up against any hotel operated sushi restaurant in Tokyo. (This does not include Kubey or Kanesaka branch locations located within Japanese hotels, some of which may be better). Pricing is also fair at the hotel and competitive with other similar hotels.

A “fifteen minute walk” could land you in either an exceptional Michelin restaurant, or at First Kitchen.

You statement about GHT food quality is absolutely inaccurate. It is true that there are a great many good restaurants in close proximity to the hotel, but one must be well informed and selective to find the right places. The best restaurants in the city are very often discreetly located on small side streets, such that one would walk right by them unless one knew to look for them.
Well probably have to agree to disagree on this one, as I would say your statements about GHT food are absolutely wrong.

You see it as prime wagyu, I see it as rather run of the mill wagyu at a rather high price. I don't take the prime minister's dining habits as either a plus or a minus, I don't really care where he eats. There is a funny part of Jiro Dreams of Sushi where Jiro's rice merchant says he refused to to sell to the Grand Hyatt as they don't understand how to cook rice.

It is true that the good places in Tokyo can be hard to locate, but with a good concierge at the hotel, that should never really be a problem. Should it?
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

It is true that the good places in Tokyo can be hard to locate, but with a good concierge at the hotel, that should never really be a problem. Should it?
Just use tabelog lol.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:21 am

Well probably have to agree to disagree on this one, as I would say your statements about GHT food are absolutely wrong.

You see it as prime wagyu, I see it as rather run of the mill wagyu at a rather high price. I don't take the prime minister's dining habits as either a plus or a minus, I don't really care where he eats. There is a funny part of Jiro Dreams of Sushi where Jiro's rice merchant says he refused to to sell to the Grand Hyatt as they don't understand how to cook rice.

Not to belabor the point, but, again, no. To “agree to disagree” would imply a false equivalency between what we have each said. It is an objective fact that the ingredients used at GHTs restaurants are largely of very high quality. That is certainly true of the high grade meats and seafood used by these outlets, and this quality is strictly regulated by Japanese authorities in order for the products to be sold with their designations.

Your perception of poor value for money is a valid, subjective opinion. It is true that hotels tend to be on the expensive side because of the level of service and higher costs of operations, but it is also an objective fact that GHT pricing is competitive with that of other similar hotels

That is a funny anecdote about Jiro’s comments, however he is a very opinionated person, and many very good sushi restaurants would not conform to every aspect of his personal vision of what sushi should be. That does not mean other restaurants aren’t good. I say this as a former long time regular of both Sukiyabashi Jiro and GHT restaurants, among many others, including many in the vicinity of the hotel.

Everyone knows an hotel sushi restaurant is not directly comparable to the best ones in the city. But that’s not the point. Hotel sushi restaurants are where people ho on short notice without reservations, or on Japanese national holidays when other shops are closed. They also are places people go for anonymity if not wanting to mix business or perhaps a romantic date with one’s regular sushi restaurant. So, as I have already noted, they aren’t a fair and even comparison, but they have a place for many people’s needs.

To say that these restaurants are not particularly good would not explain why they indeed do have a loyal local clientele of non staying guests who come there to dine.

Furthermore, they are not even necessarily expensive. Lunch set menus, including a phenomenal curry udon at Shunbou, for example, are in fact very affordable. And this thread certainly has many fans of Fiorentina cafés absolutely phenomenal pastry chef, who offers a vast array of sinfully good dessert and confections. Their department is often requisitioned to provide custom order cakes for high profile events throughout the city and within the hotel.
uppereastsider likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not to belabor the point, but, again, no. To “agree to disagree” would imply a false equivalency between what we have each said. It is an objective fact that the ingredients used at GHTs restaurants are largely of very high quality. That is certainly true of the high grade meats and seafood used by these outlets, and this quality is strictly regulated by Japanese authorities in order for the products to be sold with their designations.

Your perception of poor value for money is a valid, subjective opinion. It is true that hotels tend to be on the expensive side because of the level of service and higher costs of operations, but it is also an objective fact that GHT pricing is competitive with that of other similar hotels

That is a funny anecdote about Jiro’s comments, however he is a very opinionated person, and many very good sushi restaurants would not conform to every aspect of his personal vision of what sushi should be. That does not mean other restaurants aren’t good. I say this as a former long time regular of both Sukiyabashi Jiro and GHT restaurants, among many others, including many in the vicinity of the hotel.

Everyone knows an hotel sushi restaurant is not directly comparable to the best ones in the city. But that’s not the point. Hotel sushi restaurants are where people ho on short notice without reservations, or on Japanese national holidays when other shops are closed. They also are places people go for anonymity if not wanting to mix business or perhaps a romantic date with one’s regular sushi restaurant. So, as I have already noted, they aren’t a fair and even comparison, but they have a place for many people’s needs.

To say that these restaurants are not particularly good would not explain why they indeed do have a loyal local clientele of non staying guests who come there to dine.

Furthermore, they are not even necessarily expensive. Lunch set menus, including a phenomenal curry udon at Shunbou, for example, are in fact very affordable. And this thread certainly has many fans of Fiorentina cafés absolutely phenomenal pastry chef, who offers a vast array of sinfully good dessert and confections. Their department is often requisitioned to provide custom order cakes for high profile events throughout the city and within the hotel.
I don't doubt the ingredients at GHT is of good quality. I just object to the result they are achieving from them. I can buy super expensive high end ingredients and get the effect of them, that says very little about my skills as a chef. (not that I am a chef) the art is to take the food to a far higher level than just what the ingredients are by themselves. And the GHT does not in anyway master that art.

Apart from posters in this thread, I have never encountered anyone with a particular high opinion of the restaurants at the GHT. I do acknowledge the convenience of the place, and the service elements does surpass the food, and it is an easy way for travellers with only one evening in town having a Japanese dinner without stressing over it. But for a visitor staying for a period in the city, they should really avoid dining there, and go out to experience the really dining scene in Tokyo.

Fiorentina is probably, in my opinion, the most disappointing of the outlets. The food is an uninspired attempt to be an Italian restaurant and at quite high prices. I do like the fact that on a sunny day in very early spring or late autumn you can have a glass of wine and a snack at an comfy outdoor spot. But the food is cafeteria Italian with over priced wines. But because of the sunny spot you'd still be able to spot me there sometimes in the right seasons. So there may be local patronage for many other reasons than the food being stellar.

Taste is a highly subjective thing, and thus yes we can agree to disagree. Hopefully.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 5:10 pm

I don't doubt the ingredients at GHT is of good quality. I just object to the result they are achieving from them. I can buy super expensive high end ingredients and get the effect of them, that says very little about my skills as a chef. (not that I am a chef) the art is to take the food to a far higher level than just what the ingredients are by themselves. And the GHT does not in anyway master that art.

Apart from posters in this thread, I have never encountered anyone with a particular high opinion of the restaurants at the GHT. I do acknowledge the convenience of the place, and the service elements does surpass the food, and it is an easy way for travellers with only one evening in town having a Japanese dinner without stressing over it. But for a visitor staying for a period in the city, they should really avoid dining there, and go out to experience the really dining scene in Tokyo.

Fiorentina is probably, in my opinion, the most disappointing of the outlets. The food is an uninspired attempt to be an Italian restaurant and at quite high prices. I do like the fact that on a sunny day in very early spring or late autumn you can have a glass of wine and a snack at an comfy outdoor spot. But the food is cafeteria Italian with over priced wines. But because of the sunny spot you'd still be able to spot me there sometimes in the right seasons. So there may be local patronage for many other reasons than the food being stellar.

Taste is a highly subjective thing, and thus yes we can agree to disagree. Hopefully.
Taste is indeed subjective, and we certainly can agree to disagree there.

I think in this hotel it matters which outlets one chooses and also how one orders. It certainly has the potential to be very good - I used to practically live at the place - but I also acknowledge there is a lot of room for improvement in some outlets. The French Kitchen is an awful, poorly executed all day dining outlet that is simply a dreadful place for breakfast. China room is also decidedly sub par, and for the same price one could have far better Chinese nearby.

I find Fiorentina to be an absolutely lovely place, but maybe that has to do with one’s expectations. I use it as a day to day restaurant tor comfort food, served by an entire team who know me well. For that purpose, it’s sublime. But, of course I would not recommend it to someone looking for find dining Italian cuisine. For that my absolutely favorite is the Sicilian restaurant Da Nino in Aoyama (Nogizaka sta.) just around the corner from Midtown.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:35 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Taste is indeed subjective, and we certainly can agree to disagree there.

I think in this hotel it matters which outlets one chooses and also how one orders. It certainly has the potential to be very good - I used to practically live at the place - but I also acknowledge there is a lot of room for improvement in some outlets. The French Kitchen is an awful, poorly executed all day dining outlet that is simply a dreadful place for breakfast. China room is also decidedly sub par, and for the same price one could have far better Chinese nearby.

I find Fiorentina to be an absolutely lovely place, but maybe that has to do with one’s expectations. I use it as a day to day restaurant tor comfort food, served by an entire team who know me well. For that purpose, it’s sublime. But, of course I would not recommend it to someone looking for find dining Italian cuisine. For that my absolutely favorite is the Sicilian restaurant Da Nino in Aoyama (Nogizaka sta.) just around the corner from Midtown.
You always say things nicely and post well informed thoughts.
I echo your comments on Fiorentina and have dined there many years.I love that when I have worked and don't wish to go out or tired of using local transportation I can look forward to
excellent baked goods, high quality daily made breads, world class desserts and nice Italian fare .All with dedicated humble service that seem to care.
When I think of the time and cost of going elsewhere transportation etc I feel the quality and value are strong
Have never begrudged anything that they typically charge me to dine there.While I don't make it habit to dine at most Hyatt's or other hotels other than breakfast I do look forward to dining here at least a few times during a stay for lunch or dinner.Years ago when the European chef was there who would come out and greet us it was one of my favorite Hyatt restaurants ever.
My tastes are simple and not exotic as many gourmet diners seem to be
And like you say all so objective.Look on any review site for restaurants many loves to many hates Grand Hyatt Tokyo has much to be proud of and quite a few hotels should look at them as a role model for any hotel restaurant most things considered. If you took away Fiorentina and its bakery I might likely never go back as the hotel becomes just another nice hotel in Tokyo
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Just finished another great 6 night stay at the Grand Hyatt Tokyo. This is now my go-to hotel when visiting Tokyo. It has a great location to reach rest of Tokyo, connected to Roppongi hills with many interesting restaurants and shops, and walking distance to the rest of Roppongi. I loved that the room, even the entry level ones come complete with everything and they get all the basics right, a large comfy bed, bathroom with great water pressure, quiet air-conditioning, a large sunken tub that fills up in under 3 mins ( and that's the fastest I have seen in my travels ! ), electronic blinds, intuitive switches and nice working desk. Only nitpick there is not much of a view. Don't really care at this price level. Service is beyond excellent. Every request is promptly attend to. Housekeeping remember my preferences. Concierge will go out of their way to get things done. They even have hotel attendants / bellhops dressed in suits. Every check-in, the guest is escorted in person to the room.

I have tried nearly all luxury hotels in Tokyo except Aman, including RC, Shangri-la, Intercon, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, FS, etc.. and for me, Grand Hyatt Tokyo hit that sweet spot on value, location and service. I am not staying anywhere but here.

As for food, I quite like the Teppanyaki restaurant and I often dine there and entertain my business associates. And yes, the restaurants are rather expensive. There are lots of more affordable dining options walking distance from the hotel.
lsquare, 59Impala and matrix8452 like this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by BENLEE
Just finished another great 6 night stay at the Grand Hyatt Tokyo. This is now my go-to hotel when visiting Tokyo. It has a great location to reach rest of Tokyo, connected to Roppongi hills with many interesting restaurants and shops, and walking distance to the rest of Roppongi. I loved that the room, even the entry level ones come complete with everything and they get all the basics right, a large comfy bed, bathroom with great water pressure, quiet air-conditioning, a large sunken tub that fills up in under 3 mins ( and that's the fastest I have seen in my travels ! ), electronic blinds, intuitive switches and nice working desk. Only nitpick there is not much of a view. Don't really care at this price level. Service is beyond excellent. Every request is promptly attend to. Housekeeping remember my preferences. Concierge will go out of their way to get things done. They even have hotel attendants / bellhops dressed in suits. Every check-in, the guest is escorted in person to the room.

I have tried nearly all luxury hotels in Tokyo except Aman, including RC, Shangri-la, Intercon, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, FS, etc.. and for me, Grand Hyatt Tokyo hit that sweet spot on value, location and service. I am not staying anywhere but here.

As for food, I quite like the Teppanyaki restaurant and I often dine there and entertain my business associates. And yes, the restaurants are rather expensive. There are lots of more affordable dining options walking distance from the hotel.
i will be staying herefor two nights this coming weekend. hopefully will have the same pleasant experience

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.