Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Looks like a great option but did not see any pricing info.
If you need to know the price in advance, then that option probably isn't right for you.

And if buses make you ill, then I'm not sure the heli is a good option regardless.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Considering a stay here next month as this property is on our corp approved list (alas the PH and Andaz are not). Is it still recommended to ask for an even # room not ending in 16?

Any recommended sushi restaurants in the area? Jiro does not sound like my cup of tea, though maybe son of Jiro...

Looks like a great option but did not see any pricing info.
Also wondering why people prefer sitting in traffic on the airport limo bus to a nice train ride on the NEX. Buses make me ill.
For sushi, if you are willing to spend in the range of Jiro, I would recommend Taku in Nishiazabu walking distance (reservation required, but not that tricky to get) . Pintokona in Roppongi Hills is a very good midrange place.

Last I checked the helicopter option was 300,000 yen. But a couple of years back.

If you are prone to motion sickness, of course that alters you view on transport options But convenience really depends on where you are going, for me the bus is clearly the best option from a time perspective. Sometimes though there are too long between them and I take the train. Also I like that I don't have to carry my luggage through the stations.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Hi everyone. I have actually never stayed at a Hyatt before, except maybe as a child 20 years ago without knowing it. I'm considering booking one night at this hotel in February before moving to the Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho. I obviously don't hold any sort of Hyatt status, so I've been looking at different possibilities. I could book a FHR rate with late checkout, breakfast, $125 food amenity, or I could book with Hyatt and use 6000 points to upgrade to the Grand Executive Suite.

Does anyone know what kind of upgrade I might receive as a poor status-less traveller on a one night FHR rate? If there's a possibility for a decent upgrade there, possibly with a room looking at Tokyo Tower, I'd probably opt for that over the suite upgrade route. Also, is the breakfast one would receive either via FHR/Virtuoso or as a Hyatt elite generally considered to be good?

Thanks for any help.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:44 pm

I would just book FHR and save the points for a one night stay. However, if the 6,000 points confirm Grand Executive Suite, that is quite nice as well.

Breakfast is not really a strong point at this hotel, although it is acceptable. It isn’t the Ritz-Carlton.

Speaking of that, why not FHR at Ritz-Carlton with tower view (upgraded from standard via FHR)? Much better breakfast.

nexusCFX likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I would just book FHR and save the points for a one night stay. However, if the 6,000 points confirm Grand Executive Suite, that is quite nice as well.

Breakfast is not really a strong point at this hotel, although it is acceptable. It isn’t the Ritz-Carlton.

Speaking of that, why not FHR at Ritz-Carlton with tower view (upgraded from standard via FHR)? Much better breakfast.

The main reason I'm looking for a hotel for this one night (Feb 16) is that I wasn't able to do a best rate match like the subsequent six days. I'm paying 29K JPY a night at the PG, and I personally think their hard product is better than the RC (and strong SPG plat recognition) so I just cannot stomach paying 79k for a base level room at the RC (maybe if it was a club tower view I'd consider it). It's also still not set up for 5x points via FHR which is even worse. Given that, I thought it might be worth staying at some other properties I might not normally consider.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
The main reason I'm looking for a hotel for this one night (Feb 16) is that I wasn't able to do a best rate match like the subsequent six days. I'm paying 29K JPY a night at the PG, and I personally think their hard product is better than the RC (and strong SPG plat recognition) so I just cannot stomach paying 79k for a base level room at the RC (maybe if it was a club tower view I'd consider it). It's also still not set up for 5x points via FHR which is even worse. Given that, I thought it might be worth staying at some other properties I might not normally consider.
GH is a great hotel. FHR $125 credit would be very useful at Oak Door, Keiyakizaka, Shunbou, or Roku Roku for dinner.

There are many hotels you may want to consider. Andaz and Park Hyatt are also excellent.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
If there's a possibility for a decent upgrade there, possibly with a room looking at Tokyo Tower, I'd probably opt for that over the suite upgrade route.
Thanks for any help.
If you're looking for a Tokyo Tower view room, I'm not sure if Grand Hyatt will be the best fit. I've stayed there numerous times as Diamond/Globalist, but don't remember many Tokyo Tower views. May be because most floors are relatively low compared to other properties.

In Hyatt, Andaz would be good for Tokyo Tower views. To try to ensure that, book with a Hyatt Prive travel agent. They will be able to receive confirmation from the hotel of an upgrade before your arrival, and the Tokyo Tower view is the standard upgrade for regular rooms, King and Twin. Hotel credit this month was $100 USD if I recall. The Prive rate is on or around the standard rate (not the member discount rate). Andaz has a pricey, small sushi restaurant on the top floor. Andaz breakfast is good, and has more Japanese options than some others.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by princesakura
If you're looking for a Tokyo Tower view room, I'm not sure if Grand Hyatt will be the best fit. I've stayed there numerous times as Diamond/Globalist, but don't remember many Tokyo Tower views. May be because most floors are relatively low compared to other properties.
The only room that I recall seeing Tokyo Tower from was the Presidential Suite annex Corner Queen room.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 3:51 am

Regardless, some rooms and suites have very good views. In particular the Grand Executive Suites on higher floors are very nice and have unobstructed skyline views. I do not care that much about Tokyo Tower.

But, if one really wants views, stay at the Andaz, Ritz-Carlton, Park Hyatt, or Mandarin Oriental.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Dec 23, 2018 at 9:45 pm
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
But, if one really wants views, stay at the Andaz or at Ritz-Carlton.
Or the Park Hyatt.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, JB Mosaic, SW AList + CP
Help with family of 3 in king room

Only reg Kings avail w/points on my trip. No roll away available.

do I not show my 14yo kids passport? And just sneak him in?

Are they gonna ask for plane itinerary??

Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by broncophil
Only reg Kings avail w/points on my trip. No roll away available.

do I not show my 14yo kids passport? And just sneak him in?

Are they gonna ask for plane itinerary??
Have you checked Andaz or Park Hyatt? Both would accommodate two adults and one child in a standard room more comfortably, as well as within their maximum occupancy policies.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:39 pm

Have you checked Andaz or Park Hyatt? Both would accommodate two adults and one child in a standard room more comfortably, as well as within their maximum occupancy policies.
Yea I did thanks.

Andaz not avail those dates

Park hyatt is my first choice @ 30k points (only 5k above the GH) only thing there is 2 twins, which I’m ok with but I doubt they will allow rollaway either.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by broncophil
Yea I did thanks.

Andaz not avail those dates

Park hyatt is my first choice @ 30k points (only 5k above the GH) only thing there is 2 twins, which I’m ok with but I doubt they will allow rollaway either.
The “twins” at PHT are two Queen sized beds, so it is perfectly okay for parents to share one bed and child to have his/her own. There is no need for a roll away.

A Park Suite twin, or a Grand Executive Suite Twin (the suite upgrade/award categories) would also be ideal at either hotel.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Dec 31, 2018 at 3:48 pm
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:10 pm

delete

Last edited by broncophil; Dec 31, 2018 at 5:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.