Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Berlin REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Berlin REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ctbarron
Looking for confirmation - if I book a Club Room that states Grand Lounge access is included, this includes breakfast in the lounge, correct? Note I have zero status with Hyatt.

I understand I'd settle for whatever food is available in the lounge.
yup
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by peter42
Of course they are playing games for years now by creating the "fake" suite out of a Grand Room.
Of course peter42 is 100 % correct. GH Berlin is one of the classic cases how some Hyatts try to give their most loyal guests rooms as a suite nobody else would consider as a suite. Especially that indoor court view is a shame.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by 59Impala
agree - don't waste a CSU for the Suite. I only used it, since mine would have expired last year, but it was not worth it.
I'm in the minority - I found the suite worth while. Not big enough to really entertain, but a solid door between bedroom and living room meant I could stay up late without disturbing my wife at night, and vice versa in the early morning.

If you are wanting it for more than 2 people, or for entertaining, I agree, it's not worth it. But I really enjoyed the room and the amenities.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Just came back from a 3 night stay. As a Glob, we took the breakfast in the restaurant. We could have used the lounge but why when you can have champagne during breakfast in the restaurant BF was pretty good and everyone should try their pancake. They bake it instead of cooking over a stove. Yum Yum!!

I agree with the previous reviews - an excellent hotel and worth using your points. The only down side were the pillows. They have 3 types of pillows. A synthetic one (I think) that is as flat as a pancake - very uncomfortable. A down version which is slightly better but still uncomfortable for us. We tried their firm pillow which was really not a pillow but a piece of foam in the shape of a sliced cake (triangular shape). All 3 were awful - I should have purchase a regular pillow from the mall across the street. Not sure why they are so limited. As a result, sleeping was difficult for us for the 3 nights. Other than that I will use this hotel again for its location, breakfast, gym, and spa - but with my own pillow.
flybyFIRE likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 2:44 pm
HAT

Programs: BA, IHG, Hyatt
Hey, staying here 4 nights just before Christmas. Was offered either a Grand Suite or a Grand Suite View King for 6K points a night. Has anyone stayed in either of them? Which one is better? Thanks!
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
It was about my 25th stay ... and I have to say the GH Berlin is going down more and more. Yes, Globalist Suite Upgrade really isn't a suite (discussed in this thread). The lounge was closed for renovation (fine with that), but the f&b supply to the replacement lounge was "GDR style" (empty shelves after about ˝ hour, no stocking up). Also the restaurant staff was inattentive and constantly delivered wrong items ... after a long wait.

Bpttome line: When I decided to give up on WOH (burn points and leave in early 2018) I thought I was going to miss the GH Berlin ... after this stay, I'm sure to get over it quickly ...
Old Dec 5, 2017, 10:42 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by swiss_global
It was about my 25th stay ... and I have to say the GH Berlin is going down more and more. Yes, Globalist Suite Upgrade really isn't a suite (discussed in this thread). The lounge was closed for renovation (fine with that), but the f&b supply to the replacement lounge was "GDR style" (empty shelves after about ˝ hour, no stocking up). Also the restaurant staff was inattentive and constantly delivered wrong items ... after a long wait.

Bpttome line: When I decided to give up on WOH (burn points and leave in early 2018) I thought I was going to miss the GH Berlin ... after this stay, I'm sure to get over it quickly ...
Tend to agree - Haven't been 25 times... but I think 4 times. The Club was never a burner, especially for a Grand Club. Good it's being renovated and I hope it gets an upgrade, too. Still fully convinced of the HR Cologne's Lounge. the best in Germany I'd say.
Still believe the Berlin Location should be an HR, not a GH.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:57 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Any experience here during the film festival? Seems right in the heart of the action. Was a great deal at 15k points vs the €500 + tax they charge during the main parts of the festival.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I have a reservation for 2 nights in March. Website show standard suites as Grand Suite King at 50m2 and Grand Suite View King at 69m2. Just how bad are these suites for TSU?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 4:30 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by CIT85
I have a reservation for 2 nights in March. Website show standard suites as Grand Suite King at 50m2 and Grand Suite View King at 69m2. Just how bad are these suites for TSU?
I had the Grand Suite King with a TSU. It's facing inwards, no view, rather small I thought. Only real advantage I thought was the minibar which was included, plus I recall they had 2-3 large bottles of liquor (whisk(e)y, vodka? - can't quite remember).
I personally don't think it's worth a TSU. I cannot comment on the Grand Suite View King.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 3:38 pm

I spent 2 nights at GH Berlin mid-March. Overall stay was great, Service was excellent, especially the restaurant staff for breakfast. After the first morning, they knew what I liked, refills of cappuccino. The Grand Club was very good, although the lone attendant was overwhelmed by the crowd Saturday,trying to keep the food and wine replenished. I walked all over Berlin and did not feel the need for U/S bahn or taxi/uber.

During check-in, I was offered discounted buy up to suite (not standard for upgrade), which I declined since I was alone. The deluxe room was rather nice. This was the first and only stay that I checked for suite availability after checking in. Standard suite was available for both days, so I went down to front desk to inquire about upgrade. Both front desk agents were new so they asked a supervisor from the back office to look into the situation. I was told that the suite had a leak and was out of service, but not reflected in the reservations system. However, they offered to upgrade me to a Grand Suite View Corner King (supposedly not standard?). The suite is nice, with the free minibar and liquor decanters(whiskey, gin, and Campari?) and 3 jars of nuts.

I would definitely return if I'm back in Berlin.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: Delta GM +MM; SPG LT Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Gabrca
Any experience here during the film festival? Seems right in the heart of the action. Was a great deal at 15k points vs the €500 + tax they charge during the main parts of the festival.
I have stayed here many years during the festival - it can be very busy and all suites are typically contracted to the film festival, sponsors or companies. Press conferences take place on the 2nd floor, and it's very convenient as the Berlinale Palaste is less than a dozen steps from the start of the red carpet. (The Cinemaxx is around the corner and Sony/DB screening rooms across the street. Most companies book the Marriott or the Ritz or Adlon/Regent, so the high prices are a bit of a mystery.

Service and lounge can be hit or miss during the festival, but I find them very accommodating.
Old May 4, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA 1k, AA Exec Plat
Any recent experience with having (or not having) to pay the city tax on an award stay?
Old May 5, 2018, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by flybyFIRE
Any recent experience with having (or not having) to pay the city tax on an award stay?
I have not stayed on award, but I had to pay city tax at PHV. I expect Berlin to be similar to Paris and you will have to pay city tax.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA 1k, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by CIT85
I have not stayed on award, but I had to pay city tax at PHV. I expect Berlin to be similar to Paris and you will have to pay city tax.
I guess my real question is, how do they calculate the 5% tax from a $0 award stay?! I was thinking about using an upgrade certificate since I'll be there for a week, but with the high cost of a suite, it may not be worth the additional taxes...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.