Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Berlin REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Berlin REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2022, 3:18 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist
Agree, no interesting view to whatever side. I'm taking king deluxe to courtyard for the room size. I'm not sure whether there are kind deluxe to the outer side with at least some view of any kind. Might decide for suite if with the wifey but king deluxe is better in my opinion when alone. But bathroom and walk-in closet are great at King deluxe.
COurtyard is quiet, by the way. And there are lots of electric shades to make your room private during day and night.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 11:37 am

Programs: 2mm+ UAL | Lifetime Titanium Marriott | Globalist Hyatt | SpireElite IHG
I was going to do a trip review from my stay here a few months back, but EJR said it all as well or better than I could.
This was a lovely property, and the staff uniformly excellent. It shouldn't matter but as a limited polymath Murican, it did: a great deal of English fluency on the staff
Fantastic location in 'postcard Berlin', many of the sights & things to do (postdamer, tiergarten, museum island) are easy walking distance.
Is the hotel chosen by Viking and other small luxury cruise lines for their local stay, so there's a data point for it being nice.

Something I've not seen mentioned which was one of the highlights of my visit and would be amazing for young kids (and peculiar adults like myself) was a hosted dinner only at the GrandHyatt (review in English) If you were traveling in Berlin with kids, you'd have a very fun dinner here, whether staying in the hotel or not. I sat down for this in a somewhat... altered state, and was incredibly entertaining.

Originally Posted by EJRofChicago
Absolutely terrific experience from start to finish. Probably helped that I stayed while a Globalist member of the World of Hyatt program but I suspect even with lower or no status I still would have had a nice time.

Arrived around 10am, tired from an overnight flight from the United States and then an hourlong local train ride to Potsdamer Platz, and very happy to find that our room (was traveling with my spouse) was ready right away. No upgrade, unfortunately (there was a conference there part of the week), and just a view of the courtyard, but we were kindly offered a complimentary minibar in lieu, and at least we were on the same floor as the Grand Club lounge.

The base room is a little on the small side overall but the bathroom was very spacious, the king bed was very comfortable, and there was a large table in the room, perfect for eating breakfast each morning. Speaking of, we were able to take our complimentary Globalist breakfast by room service each morning (with no limitation on how many items we could order from the menu, ordered eggs, breads, coffee/juice, etc., to our heart's content each morning) which was a very nice bonus to our vacation.

Staff were universally excellent -- everyone at reception was responsive and efficient when I came by throughout our five-day stay with questions, Club attendants very proactive in clearing dishes and offering refills, concierge helped us with area information, and room service delivery person was friendly each morning. All speak excellent English.

Bike rental available through the hotel for 20 EUR per calendar day. A little pricey but the convenience was hard to beat!

Location was excellent -- a 5 minute walk to Potsdamer Platz train station (various lines/services), 5 minutes in other direction to Berlin Philharmonic and edge of Tiergarten, and 20 minutes walk to such sites as Brandenburg Gate and Checkpoint Charlie. Lots of restaurants and shops in nearby Potsdamer Platz, Mall of Berlin, and Sony Center. REWE grocery store nearby as well.

This was our first trip to Berlin (first to Germany, for that matter) and couldn't have asked for a better hotel to base ourselves during our stay. Not sure when my/our next trip to Berlin will be but this would be my first choice of places to stay again!
Old Jul 27, 2022, 4:36 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Staying here in late September for the Berlin Marathon. Any tips on walking tours? If nothing specific, any tips on how you go about booking walking tours?
Old Jul 31, 2022, 8:46 pm

Considering staying here later this year. Do Globalists get lounge access and - if so - how is the lounge? Thanks!
Old Jul 31, 2022, 9:34 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by aa4ever
Considering staying here later this year. Do Globalists get lounge access and - if so - how is the lounge? Thanks!
Absolutely! love the club
Best of all they let us dine in the restaurant which was excellent as was the service
That said all pre Covid so uncertain the present options
Old Jul 31, 2022, 11:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by aa4ever
The lounge has been moved to the lobby. I actually liked it better as it was more open and less claustrophobic. Still pretty good food options and the service was excellent.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:20 pm

Just received an email:

"I would like to inform you beforehand, that unfortunately, at this moment we do not have any suite upgrades available for this stay. Nonetheless, we would like to value your Globalist status and offer you one of the alternatives to appreciate your loyalty:
  • include the minibar during your stay
  • prepare a bottle of white, red or sparkling wine as an amenity
  • include the parking in your stay
  • invite you for 2 drinks in the Vox bar"

Have any other globalists received a similar email? I'm a bit bummed, as I was hoping to get upgraded when I check in tomorrow. What would you recommend I do in this situation?
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Aeroplan 25k, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CompFalls15
Just received an email:

"I would like to inform you beforehand, that unfortunately, at this moment we do not have any suite upgrades available for this stay. Nonetheless, we would like to value your Globalist status and offer you one of the alternatives to appreciate your loyalty:
  • include the minibar during your stay
  • prepare a bottle of white, red or sparkling wine as an amenity
  • include the parking in your stay
  • invite you for 2 drinks in the Vox bar"

Have any other globalists received a similar email? I'm a bit bummed, as I was hoping to get upgraded when I check in tomorrow. What would you recommend I do in this situation?
Received this same consolation offer for a 4-night stay this past May. My spouse and I don't drink that much and we didn't have a car so we took the minibar. It was decent -- some juices, chocolate, mixed nuts, that sort of thing. They also had a plate of whole fruit waiting for us on arrival, though that might be less about the lack of suite upgrades and more about general stewardship of Globalist members.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Aeroplan 25k, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SF1K
The lounge has been moved to the lobby.
Is it back in the lobby? When I was there in May, it had just returned to its purpose-built space upstairs (as in, just days before I was there.)
Sydneyberlin likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 3:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Are they selling the Grand Suite for your nights?
Old Aug 3, 2022, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Are they selling the Grand Suite for your nights?
Yes, I see the Grand King Suite is available for my entire stay.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 8:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If it's available at check-in, I would absolutely call them on that. Though it's not a particularly desirable room type - they made it by cutting interior view junior suites in half with a sliding door. You might see if they'll give you a discounted upgrade to a Grand Executive Suite . . . they did that for me when I expressed dissatisfaction with my junior suite.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Sounds like they want to keep them open for sale and trying to pawn us off with those Globalist email options.
Sydneyberlin likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:13 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I stayed there last week and got the same email. Thought it's a nice gesture and wondered what kind of nightmarish scenarios these poor front desk staff must experience. Does everyone expect a suite now and starts an argument about it? Maybe I'm spending too much time at Bonvoy and IHG properties, but despite my 80% or so Hyatt suite upgrades, I'd never expect one or argue at check-in. How about using a suite upgrade cert if it truly matters?!

That said, my stay was lovely. Pleasant exchange after that initial offer email, friendly welcome at check-in, little gift waiting in room, free minibar is always welcome (although this one wasn't pre-deval RA level), good lounge offerings (tasty and high-quality), super-friendly lounge staff who greeted me by name, excellent breakfast buffet with high-quality items.

Far better than the nearby Marriott, where (as Titanium), suites are also rare, restaurant breakfast is no longer a thing, and the club experience is lacking. Also checked a couple IHG options (IC and Indigo) -- breakfast now included for Diamonds and indeed quite nice at IC. Overall, GH remains a strong contender.
Kacee likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jpdx
I stayed there last week and got the same email. Thought it's a nice gesture and wondered what kind of nightmarish scenarios these poor front desk staff must experience. Does everyone expect a suite now and starts an argument about it? Maybe I'm spending too much time at Bonvoy and IHG properties, but despite my 80% or so Hyatt suite upgrades, I'd never expect one or argue at check-in. How about using a suite upgrade cert if it truly matters?!

That said, my stay was lovely. Pleasant exchange after that initial offer email, friendly welcome at check-in, little gift waiting in room, free minibar is always welcome (although this one wasn't pre-deval RA level), good lounge offerings (tasty and high-quality), super-friendly lounge staff who greeted me by name, excellent breakfast buffet with high-quality items.

Far better than the nearby Marriott, where (as Titanium), suites are also rare, restaurant breakfast is no longer a thing, and the club experience is lacking. Also checked a couple IHG options (IC and Indigo) -- breakfast now included for Diamonds and indeed quite nice at IC. Overall, GH remains a strong contender.
I don’t feel entitled to a suite but it sure makes you feel less valued when you see standard suites just sitting there during your stay. Then, you’re given a high floor and/or view room and told that’s your upgrade. I’m sorry but that’s not a Globalist upgrade and I would push back on it. It’s always nice when properties proactively upgrade and beyond. Not sure I would push for the Grand suite here though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.