Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Berlin REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Berlin REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2020, 7:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Dia, MM, DGAEZ
will not last for long. Sorry.

we just missed each other....
Old May 22, 2021, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Markie
Just to say that they have opened the Grand Club in the Tizian Lounge on the Ground Floor. It's a much bigger space so better for distancing.
3pm-5pm Afternoon Tea - cakes, croissant, beer, and soft drinks
6pm-8pm Snack Hour - will report when I have been down.

Generally good news.
Is the hotel also offering comp. (alcoholic) beverages? If so, any idea what the hours and options are? "Whatever you want all night" or more like "here's a voucher for a beer, to be consumed between 7.15p.m. and 7.45p.m."?
Old May 23, 2021, 2:02 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Is the hotel also offering comp. (alcoholic) beverages? If so, any idea what the hours and options are? "Whatever you want all night" or more like "here's a voucher for a beer, to be consumed between 7.15p.m. and 7.45p.m."?
Haven't been for 6 months so don't know I am afraid.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 11:31 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Spent a night here last week. Club lounge was still closed. Welcome letter said club replacement in Tizian, but this turned out to be fake news -- it was in Vox restaurant. 3-4 small plates (three sips of cucumber soup, four bites of chickpea salad, two bite mini pizza), free flowing soft drinks or beer/house wine. 6-8pm, I think. Quite pleasant on the terrace.

Breakfast also in Vox restaurant. Wrapped items were self-serve, egg dishes delivered to the table, everything else behind plexiglass and plated by staff.

Not sure how long this setup will last ... moved on to the Marriott on Friday, where everything was back to pre-Covid standards. Well, masks while moving about, but club lounge reopened with full spread, everything self-serve. Same story at breakfast, full pre-Covid buffet, everything self-serve, no more plastic gloves or items dished out by staff. Almost feels a little risky in light of very low vaccination rates in Germany, but hopefully things are gradually moving back to normal.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Any other recent stays here? So much can change in three months these days...
Old Sep 23, 2021, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by jpdx
Almost feels a little risky in light of very low vaccination rates in Germany, but hopefully things are gradually moving back to normal.
today:
Vaccination rate USA (double vaccinated): 55 %.
Vaccination rate Germany (doubly vaccinated): 63 %
Old Sep 23, 2021, 5:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by clublevel15
????
Vaccination rate USA (double vaccinated): 55 %.
Vaccination rate Germany (doubly vaccinated): 63 %

You feel less safe in Germany than in the USA? Crazy :-)
In fairness that post was from June when things were quite different.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was just there.

The club is now basically in the bar area off the lobby. We never visited, but we did see people there when we went through.

Breakfast is at Vox. Not bad. Busy on the weekends.

The gym, pool, hot tub (not very hot) and sauna are open. Steam room is still closed. You need to book times for this, which we thought was great as it kept them relatively empty.

Service was cordial. We changed to a suite after a few days due to availability as a Globalist upgrade. There were minor annoyances, but nothing out of the ordinary.

This was my first time to Berlin, and while the location was close to a lot of areas we wanted to visit, the specific area it's in is pretty sterile and business-focused. I'd probably stay there again only because it's a Hyatt, but if I wasn't tied to Hyatt for the loyalty program (I used all cat 1-4 night awards this trip) I'd probably choose to be in Prenzlauer Berg or somewhere else.

Off-topic note: the two best restaurants of our trip were ernst and Mrs. Robinson. I highly recommend both.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 6:34 am

What would be the best way using public transportation from GH Berlin to TER airport? Trying to find a way to go as I will be carrying a few luggages with me.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 4:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by anchor79
What would be the best way using public transportation from GH Berlin to TER airport? Trying to find a way to go as I will be carrying a few luggages with me.
Has Covid impacted Google and Google Maps?

https://flughafenexpress.deutschebahn.com/fex-en#

30 minutes from Berlin Main Station to BER. You can walk to Potsdamer Platz to catch a connecting train or a taxi to Berlin Main Station.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by SMK77
Has Covid impacted Google and Google Maps?

https://flughafenexpress.deutschebahn.com/fex-en#

30 minutes from Berlin Main Station to BER. You can walk to Potsdamer Platz to catch a connecting train or a taxi to Berlin Main Station.
Hi,

With luggage I agree that a taxi to Berlin Hauptbahnhof ( Hbf for short on some display screens)( signs at the platform also say Berlin Central) will be the best. ( I took a taxi from the Hilton to the Hauptbahnhof a fortnight ago to go to dresden and the taxi took about 15 mins and was around 12EUR via the Tiergarten tunnels). In addition to the FEX ( Airport express - every half hour) there are also RB and RE trains that take slightly longer. The S bahn trains take longer and no dedicated space for luggage
I would also allow time to get a ticket and find your way to the platforms. I found the number of lifts to be limited and a bit slow.
Luggage trolleys are available at some platforms at BER ( 1 Eur or strangely US quarters)- refundable when returning the trolley to a dedicated stop.
I found at some stations google maps is limited -ie it only gave me 2mins at Fredirchstrasser St to change from a U bahn line to a regional train to Potsdam (the U bahn was a minute late and by the time I found the platform the Regional train had left). There was a slower Sbahn train a few minutes later that i caught.

Regards

TBS
anchor79 and Kacee like this.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 5:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Quick review for a stay in August.

Booking & Check In
Booked directly on hyatt.com on cash for a Standard King. We were upgraded to a Grand Executive Suite at check in. Check in was both thorough and efficient and set the tone for a lovely stay.

Hotel & location
The hotel felt similar to other Grand Hyatt’s we’ve been to in Europe, which feel a bit nicer overall than in the USA. The gym was open though it was a bit annoying in requiring reservations and only a few people were allowed in at once. The location was also great, a quiet strip in a major city near a lot of attractions and a beautiful large park.

Room
The room was a smidge dated, but overall it was very nice and plenty large for two people. The bathroom was exceptional, on the level of some PHs we’ve stayed at. The only problem was that the air conditioning was weak (we had similar issues in other Germany hotels during our trip, it was well over 80f each day for our trip). I realize this isn’t unheard of in Europe, but it was warm enough that sleeping was tough even without covers. The hotel didn’t have much assistance to offer, but fortunately the windows can be fully opened (many hotels limit open distance) and you can get a nice breeze. I also bought a fan for 20 euro at a nearby convenience store that got the job done.

Service
I was pleasantly surprised Globalist breakfast included room service and had those convenient menus you order on and hang on your door the night before. The breakfast was very good each morning.

Conclusion
Aside from meh A/C, we had a delightful stay at this property. It was a great value for the price, especially with the Globalist benefits factored in.

Last edited by manu08; Oct 23, 2021 at 12:07 pm
Old Oct 22, 2021, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by manu08
Service
I was pleasantly surprised Globalist breakfast included room service and had those convenient menus you order on and hang on your door the night before. The breakfast was very good each morning.
Did they proactively offer you breakfast via room service? I've had three stays there over about as many months and I was never offered room service breakfast (although I also never asked). Having said that, the breakfast buffet in the restaurant was of a high standard so I was quite happy to eat there every morning.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 6:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by manu08
The location was also great, a quiet strip in a major airport near a lot of attractions and a beautiful large park.
Major airport? Do you mean major city? Obviously this hotel is not located at an airport.

The Potsdamer Platz location is relatively convenient, including walking distance to Tiergarten. But totally lacking in character or charm.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 12:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by coleslaw
Did they proactively offer you breakfast via room service? I've had three stays there over about as many months and I was never offered room service breakfast (although I also never asked). Having said that, the breakfast buffet in the restaurant was of a high standard so I was quite happy to eat there every morning.
I asked during check-in if room service was available. They said yes and handed me enough the night-before ordering menus to cover our whole stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.