Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Berlin REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Grand Hyatt Berlin REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jan 15, 14, 4:31 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

But doesn't your list say it all.... 90+% of the properties doesn't provide a decent offering in the evening (I cannot recall one single US property where I liked the evening offerings, and you pay for drinks as well). So if that's the intention I would say they've failed miserably :-).

But I share your feeling that especially when travelling on your own dime, it would be nice to have a good lounge offering.
Old Jan 15, 14, 4:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Dia, MM, DGAEZ
Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
But doesn't your list say it all.... 90+% of the properties doesn't provide a decent offering in the evening (I cannot recall one single US property where I liked the evening offerings, and you pay for drinks as well). So if that's the intention I would say they've failed miserably :-).

But I share your feeling that especially when travelling on your own dime, it would be nice to have a good lounge offering.
We usually like the food at the GH NY in the evening, despite the fact, that the club is crowded very often. Last time there was a lot of sushi, for example. Also the food at the HR SFO was decent too.
But no comparison to PH HH for example.
Old Jan 15, 14, 4:49 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
(I cannot recall one single US property where I liked the evening offerings, and you pay for drinks as well).
Hence why we tend to travel East!
Old Jan 15, 14, 5:07 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I share your sentiment (typing this from the GH Bangkok lounge), although the rates in the US can be nice as well :-). I guess Germany is a bit in between....
Old Jan 15, 14, 6:30 am

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Looking at the reviews over the last year or so I noticed a mixed bag of feelings when it comes to GH Berlin. My family spent 2 nights (2 rooms) there towards the end of December and I have to agree that my take on this property is also a mixed bag. When it comes to the physical plant, GH Berlin is a great hotel (if we exclude a poorly executed access to the gym, where I had to wait almost 5 minutes for the elevator on several occasions). The service, however, is far from being great. While the check-in was courteous and efficient, things went downhill from there. The lounge attendants are fairly rude - they would (attempt to) take the plates from under our noses during the breakfast and evening service, a lot of times without even asking. One morning when all of us stood up to go get a few sweets from the buffet one of the attendants moved in and almost cleared the entire table including our coffee and tea without even trying to figure out if we were actually done or not.

The bad service was not confined to the lounge, though. One evening we had a dinner in the lobby restaurant (can't remember the name) and 2 out of 6 meals came out wrong even though we gave specific instructions about the dietary concerns one of our guests had and were assured that it won't be a problem to accommodate them. This led to most of us eating a cold meal as we were waiting for another meal to be prepared.

Regarding the latest discussion here on FT related to the appropriateness of serving food in little cups, all I'm going to say is that I don't agree with it but can understand why they are doing it. Our second evening there we were relaxing in the lounge around 5 PM and the place was deserted. At 5:58 (canapes start at 6 PM) a true wild-Africa stampede occurred with approx. 40 people suddenly materializing there and devouring any food that was brought out. This lasted for good 45 minutes and only then things kind of got back to normal. I can partially understand why this happened given the European restaurant prices, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth.
Old Jan 15, 14, 7:39 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Originally Posted by todorovic View Post
The bad service was not confined to the lounge, though. One evening we had a dinner in the lobby restaurant (can't remember the name) and 2 out of 6 meals came out wrong even though we gave specific instructions about the dietary concerns one of our guests had and were assured that it won't be a problem to accommodate them. This led to most of us eating a cold meal as we were waiting for another meal to be prepared. I can partially understand why this happened given the European restaurant prices, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth.
Love Vox restaurant but last time we ate there was left with a bad feeling as they had continued pouring water without telling us they had opened up new bottles - bit of a shock to see 36 for water on the bill for 3 people.
Old Jan 15, 14, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by price123 View Post
Love Vox restaurant but last time we ate there was left with a bad feeling as they had continued pouring water without telling us they had opened up new bottles - bit of a shock to see 36 for water on the bill for 3 people.
I like VOX quite a bit as well. Re: water this is quite common in a lot of higher end restaurants in Europe- what I have done if I want to stop this is to ask them not to open a new bottle of water without asking me- works every time.
Old Jan 15, 14, 9:13 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I wasn't too impressed when I was there last week..... Still, some lounge visitors seem to pile their plates so high that it seems dinner for a whole week. So I can see where they are comming from with not having everything for the taking. People should also remember that it's meant as (just) a drink and a snack.
Yes I have seen some big eaters out there however IMHO its the quality and service in the club lounge that puts the Grand Hyatt Melbourne
in a class by itself in its wide array of good offerings beautifully presented typically
In a city crammed with good hotels and more generous upgrade policies both the club and fitness center keep me always coming back
even though there are better accommodation's to be had
Old Jan 15, 14, 9:39 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I fail to see where the quality in the GH Melbourne club was, very mediocre offerings. And breakfast was shamefully inadequate. The service was nice though... But I found the PH miles better in almost all aspects.
Old Jan 15, 14, 11:07 pm

I fail to see where the quality in the GH Melbourne club was, very mediocre offerings. And breakfast was shamefully inadequate. The service was nice though... But I found the PH miles better in almost all aspects.
Sorry to hear that. Oddly the two hotels share the same food and beverage management yet two vastly different experiences
I guess we all can't agree however I found the Grand Hyatt Melbourne this past October to be vastly superior in every way when it came to the club offerings and my own personal preferences.
The fruit was in season, the baking was better and I loved their blueberry muffins almost as good as the Highlands Inn ^ (Carmel) the gold standard IMHO
I found the GH breakfast highly satisfactory and the evening spread simply impressive.

The Park Hyatt had a closed club for breakfast and the buffet had more supermarket bread than I care to even think about.
Some plates went without replenishing and some days the salmon had poor trimming showing black and brown spots on it
The Park Hyatt did have some impressive presentation with their glass platters but I haven't yet learned to enjoy dining on presentation
I say hire a baker and give up some of the Coles bread selection
In fact I actually enjoyed Hyatt Regency Perth dining more and the club was open
Old Jan 16, 14, 4:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound View Post
Sorry to hear that. Oddly the two hotels share the same food and beverage management yet two vastly different experiences
I guess we all can't agree however I found the Grand Hyatt Melbourne this past October to be vastly superior in every way when it came to the club offerings and my own personal preferences.
The fruit was in season, the baking was better and I loved their blueberry muffins almost as good as the Highlands Inn ^ (Carmel) the gold standard IMHO
I found the GH breakfast highly satisfactory and the evening spread simply impressive.

The Park Hyatt had a closed club for breakfast and the buffet had more supermarket bread than I care to even think about.
Some plates went without replenishing and some days the salmon had poor trimming showing black and brown spots on it
The Park Hyatt did have some impressive presentation with their glass platters but I haven't yet learned to enjoy dining on presentation
I say hire a baker and give up some of the Coles bread selection
In fact I actually enjoyed Hyatt Regency Perth dining more and the club was open
One should never forget that the Grand Berlin was voted as the best property within Hyatt some years ago...and the competition was not limited to the Rickey's or Grand New York pre-renovation.

Aside from the usual bickering from FT'ers about long-gone amenities (like the new standard suite in Berlin replacing a more senior suite for suite upgrades) Berlin has become hit and miss in recent years and I did not figure out whether it is me or the unusually uneven service in Berlin.

We all know that the infrastructure, especially the rooms, have seen better days. I also question whether the colour of the marble will stand the test of time as long as Cologne, 25 years and counting in Cologne and the bath rooms still look upscale. The colours used in Mainz and Berlin are darker, so the whole set-up looks older. The rooms in Hamburg and Mainz need a major renovation and I do expect Berlin to hang around just fine given the challenging market conditions in that market, some renos could help here as well.

But Berlin is really nothing more than just fine, in other words, it is worth a small premium over other 5 star hotels in close proximity, but not more.
Old Jan 16, 14, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by FD1971 View Post
One should never forget that the Grand Berlin was voted as the best property within Hyatt some years ago...and the competition was not limited to the Rickey's or Grand New York pre-renovation.

Aside from the usual bickering from FT'ers about long-gone amenities (like the new standard suite in Berlin replacing a more senior suite for suite upgrades) Berlin has become hit and miss in recent years and I did not figure out whether it is me or the unusually uneven service in Berlin.

We all know that the infrastructure, especially the rooms, have seen better days. I also question whether the colour of the marble will stand the test of time as long as Cologne, 25 years and counting in Cologne and the bath rooms still look upscale. The colours used in Mainz and Berlin are darker, so the whole set-up looks older. The rooms in Hamburg and Mainz need a major renovation and I do expect Berlin to hang around just fine given the challenging market conditions in that market, some renos could help here as well.

But Berlin is really nothing more than just fine, in other words, it is worth a small premium over other 5 star hotels in close proximity, but not more.
I know I got off topic with my comparing favored club lounges globally
Did want to make clear that besides the disappointing suite downgrade management issue to circumvent what Diamonds earn with their loyalty to
Hyatt and Gold Passport this has been one of my favorite hotels in the world. Had been extremely happy with all rooms and suites
I've never been back since the suite downgrade change but would certainly reconsider in the future

The Grand Hyatt Berlins team and management hospitality wise has been outstanding to me personally
The club hours especially on weekends still make it one of the most accommodating Hyatt Clubs in the world with nice offerings especially in the morning for breakfast
Old Mar 19, 14, 10:24 pm

Programs: BA G, LH SEN, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Lifetime Plat, HH Dmd, IC Amb, Sixt Dmd, Avis/Hertz Pres
The classy management under Fred Huerst has been replaced by a management that is trying hard to get rid of its most loyal customers.
Old Mar 19, 14, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Football Fan View Post
The classy management under Fred Huerst has been replaced by a management that is trying hard to get rid of its most loyal customers.
The past couple of times we have stayed here, we have felt things have slipped. We have one more stay booked, but it's mainly a mattress run property now (we live in Berlin).

Last stay, our room wasn't made up at the time requested (between 12:00 and 15:30 IIRC - we phoned to confirm). After arriving back to an unmade room, we phoned again, explained the situation and requested the room be made up at 17:00. We returned to the room at around 18:30 to find the covers on the bed had been slightly straightened (I can make a bed better than that) and one of the bins had been emptied. Nothing had been cleaned, fruit bowl not replenished, no extra water, glasses not taken away etc etc.

On Monday, Wed and Fri, the lounge has sushi (whilst it lasts), which is great. On other days, the food can be challenging for us (with our allergies). Whilst this can easily happen, when you stay regularly at a hotel, you expect notes in the system to be noticed. I asked for goats cheese one day (allergic to cows milk) and was told that there was none in the hotel (although it appeared at breakfast). Compare to Warsaw (sadly no longer Hyatt), where they returned within a few minutes with 3 huge chunks of goats cheese. On our first/second visit ever to the hotel, they served us champagne in the lounge, as it was on the system that we like champagne. They also provided food we could eat. The service used to be truly personal and is now somewhat lacklustre.

Recently, I met a friend at the hotel for breakfast in Vox. Service was really bad - it took around 15-20 minutes for a cup of tea to be bought. When I ordered a second, it also took a long time to come and no extra cup was bought until I requested (this also took some time to arrive). At no point were we offered eggs to order. One waiter dropped some plates over the floor. It was around half an hour until the mess was cleared - this was right next to the buffet.

Whilst I appreciate that we always receive a Club Deluxe room, 3/4 time we go to the Adlon, we receive a beautiful suite without any status (just booking through AMEX or Virtuoso). The only time I have known diamond members to be upgraded to a suite in Berlin is when they have messed up on a previous stay (admittedly a small pool of people I have asked).

Hopefully our next stay will be improved.
Old Mar 21, 14, 7:55 pm

Programs: BA G, LH SEN, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Lifetime Plat, HH Dmd, IC Amb, Sixt Dmd, Avis/Hertz Pres
The new GM, as the GM in Cologne, is making a concerted effort to drive away longtime loyal customers. Standards are starting to slip. It's a shame for the employees who have been there for a long time, because amateurs like that are ruining what has always been a good hotel.

E-Mails go unanswered, instead the new GM apparently is pursuing some little personality cult, having photos of his "inauguration" some months ago posted on the hotel's facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0429937&type=1

Many people I know and posters on German forums who have been longtime loyal visitors to this hotel have been reporting a hostile attitude from the new management towards longtime customers and a slippage of standards (e.g., non-suites being used for suite upgrades, etc. etc.).

Since some changes in management, Hyatt Central Europe has been pursuing a weird strategy of trying to be more upmarket, but not by raising service standards or quality (on the contrary), but just by trying to "enforce" higher prices.

Good luck with that in a competitive hotel market such as Berlin.

Last edited by Football Fan; Mar 21, 14 at 8:18 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: