Diamond Trial -- Suite upgrades

Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by jmw2323
gotta have a certain status with another hotel group. I see in your title, you have PC Platinum. That qualifies you for the Diamond Trial.
I have PC Platinum as a result of the credit card. Hopefully that wouldn't matter. Do you simply need to show them a screenshot of your account that says your status?

Also if my girlfriend and I are on a stay where she books two award nights from the credit card and one night using points (that I transfer to her), would my being diamond get us anything? Or do I need to book the reservations?

I guess an alternative would be that I book the night using points, she books the two nights from credit card and we link the reservations somehow and they'd treat the entire stay as diamond status. Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by terpfan101
I have PC Platinum as a result of the credit card. Hopefully that wouldn't matter. Do you simply need to show them a screenshot of your account that says your status?
Yes. Getting status by credit card shouldn't be a problem, but you will have to show that you actually have a stay history, as they will probably not give you the trial if you cannot show that you are actually staying at a competitor's hotel.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:33 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
I have a few suite upgrade certs that are expiring in end Feb. I understand that we can book a stay, say in May, still able to use the cert. What if I change the May reservation, will it still apply? It could be just a simple dates change, still within the month of May. Will I lost the cert?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:24 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Yep, any changes to a reservation that has an expired certificate makes it useless. But what have you got to lose....
Old Jan 24, 2013, 7:51 am

Programs: LH*G, FB*G, IC *free minibar*, SLH, RC 5C-Club, LHW, and a lot of others
Originally Posted by RTW1
You will get the 4 suite upgrades a few days after starting the trial. And they can be used during the trial. When you don't qualify at the end of the 60days you will lose the unused upgrades....
I once did not meet the required nights and lost the Diamond status, but not my suite upgrade vouchers ...maybe thats was a mistake
Old Jan 24, 2013, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flo_147
I once did not meet the required nights and lost the Diamond status, but not my suite upgrade vouchers ...maybe thats was a mistake
When you fail to requalify for Diamond, you don't get the additional four suite upgrade certs, but you can keep and use those already in your account. So if you have some schedules to expire at the end of February, they can be applied to future reservations provided that you do this before Marrch 1. The actual stay in the suite can be later.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 7:33 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
I'm almost done with my Diamond Challenge here (March 12) and I reached the 12 nights this weekend (checked out today).

My question is: will the 4 suite upgrades that I received for the challenge be replaced by 4 new ones? Should I quickly apply them to existing reservations or will I get 4 new ones on top the 4 existing?

Would it be to good to be true to end up with 8 suite awards?
Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:01 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Yep, it's too good to be true..... you only get the four (as an advance, even before completing the challenge).
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by enelym1978
I'm almost done with my Diamond Challenge here (March 12) and I reached the 12 nights this weekend (checked out today).

Would it be to good to be true to end up with 8 suite awards?
I assume you got 4 when you started the challenge. They should have disappeared on feb 28th and replaced with 4 more
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:58 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Not really, when you start the challenge you get instant Diamond status... one that lasts for 60 days (most likely to the end of the relevant month). So there is no status change on Feb 28th....
Old Mar 3, 2013, 11:22 am
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
The last few posts have the potential to create confusion for future readers, so let me clarify from my experience:
(1) When you start a Diamond Trial, you get four suite upgrades exactly as if you had qualified for Diamond status the usual way.
(2) Diamond suite upgrades expire on Feb. 28, and the next year's suite upgrades show up on March 1.
(3) So, if your trial started after January 1, then you get 4 upgrades to use by Feb. 28, and (since you're still Diamond on March 1), you get another 4 upgrades on March 1.
(4) AFAIK, nothing special happens when your trial concludes successfully (i.e., when you hit your 12th night, or at the end of the 60 days if you've stayed 12+ nights).

Points (1-3) are from personal experience (my trial started January 26), and #4 is not (I'll hit 12 nights next week, and about 18 by the end of my trial).
Old Mar 3, 2013, 2:55 pm

Not really, when you start the challenge you get instant Diamond status... one that lasts for 60 days (most likely to the end of the relevant month). So there is no status change on Feb 28th....
not sure I understand your comments as they seem incomplete. I started a challenge on Feb 1 (not yet completed). I immediately recv'd 4 x upgrades. I have added 3 of the 4 to existing reservations. On Feb 28/march 1, the 1 i did not use disappeared and I received 4 more.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jmw2323
not sure I understand your comments as they seem incomplete. I started a challenge on Feb 1 (not yet completed). I immediately recv'd 4 x upgrades. I have added 3 of the 4 to existing reservations. On Feb 28/march 1, the 1 i did not use disappeared and I received 4 more.
So if one is considering to receive the Diamond challenge with no intention of fulfilling it, it would seem that the best strategy is to apply in January or February, so as to receive a maximum of eight suite upgrades (provided that one applies the original four before they expire on February 28th)
Old Mar 3, 2013, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
So if one is considering to receive the Diamond challenge with no intention of fulfilling it, it would seem that the best strategy is to apply in January or February, so as to receive a maximum of eight suite upgrades (provided that one applies the original four before they expire on February 28th)
correct. I would however assume that someone who does not complete the challenge, will not be using 8 upgrades. I used 3 of 4 on my recent mattress run just because I had them. Didn't actually stay at half the hotels i booked so upgrade wasn't really needed.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 7:26 pm

You will get the 4 suite upgrades a few days after starting the trial. And they can be used during the trial. When you don't qualify at the end of the 60days you will lose the unused upgrades....
Is this really the case? I had read elsewhere that the upgrade certs can be applied until the February 28 expiration even when one fails the trial and falls back to Platinum or Gold.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.