Diamond Trial -- Suite upgrades

Old Feb 24, 2014, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by laxsnaogg

Probably an obvious point, but if your rate is refundable (and hence merely subject to the 72 hour cancellation policy), simply tell them at check in that you are only staying for 3 nights...
Only works if it's the final day you intend to drop from the res.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by healthnut
Yes it is! I do this all the time.
You have been fortunate. Any change, even a reduction of days, should result in the voiding of the DSU.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 8:29 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by peteropny
While I'm sure that outright cancellation or adjustment to the reservation outside the original dates will result in the loss of the DSU applied. I'm not quite sure about this particular situation where the nights is reduced within the original reservation (I do know that the reservation may be reprised though).

I may be doing this for a stay booked (with DSU applied) for the end of April (maybe reducing the 3 night reservation to 2).
My private line agent has told me that doing this will not result in the loss of the DSU.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by peteropny
My private line agent has told me that doing this will not result in the loss of the DSU.
More questions are raised.. Can you keep the use of the expired DSU, and extend reservations up to the 7 nights if reservation remains intact?

Can reduction of length occur in reservations utilizing expired DSUs from the front end as well as the back end?

Can different dates be selected with reservations utilizing expired DSUs at the originally booked hotel?

Certainly gives me more confidence going forward to know that expired DSU reservations can be reduced.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 1:28 pm

I didn't ask all the possible permutations of course but I would say:

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
More questions are raised.. Can you keep the use of the expired DSU, and extend reservations up to the 7 nights if reservation remains intact? i'm sure not because that would expand the reservation - even if it's not expired would require the upgrade inventory to be available

Can reduction of length occur in reservations utilizing expired DSUs from the front end as well as the back end? I don't see why not

Can different dates be selected with reservations utilizing expired DSUs at the originally booked hotel? Im sure no because it's totally outside the original reservation

Certainly gives me more confidence going forward to know that expired DSU reservations can be reduced.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 8:27 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hailstorm
You have been fortunate. Any change, even a reduction of days, should result in the voiding of the DSU.
I don't think that's necessarily true. I had to cancel a reservation with a DSU posted to it and it reposted to my account as if I had never used it...
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I don't think that's necessarily true. I had to cancel a reservation with a DSU posted to it and it reposted to my account as if I had never used it...
A pre-Feb 28 DSU which would have otherwise already expired?
Old Mar 1, 2014, 8:01 am

If this was a 2013 DSU, check your account, it should be gone now since it's 3/1 today. Of course during the year, if you cancel a reservation with a DSU attached, it should go back into your account.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 9:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37
A pre-Feb 28 DSU which would have otherwise already expired?
Or years past after the expiry of a DSU certificate, reposted to your account with next year's expiry?
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:57 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, CC Gld, Marriott Gld
Eliminated the first night of a 2 night stay booked using a 2013 DSU on a My Elite Rate at PH Abu Dhabi. Simply modified the reservation online. The reservation maintained original pricing and still shows as booked in a suite. Is there any danger of showing up at the hotel and not having the upgrade honored due to the change in dates?
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jrap33
Eliminated the first night of a 2 night stay booked using a 2013 DSU on a My Elite Rate at PH Abu Dhabi. Simply modified the reservation online. The reservation maintained original pricing and still shows as booked in a suite. Is there any danger of showing up at the hotel and not having the upgrade honored due to the change in dates?
As a precaution, I always have an electronic copy of reservation on my phone, or a printed out copy on hand of reservation details. If there is a discrepancy in the stay, I disclose the confirmation the reservation to clear up any discrepancies.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:27 am

I'm new to this whole thingy, had corresponded with GP customer service yesterday and had a Diamond Trial approved.

I understand my status will refresh overnight and it takes "a few days" for the DSU certs to be lodged under My Awards.

Questions:

1) How many "few days" exactly would it take? I plan to stay at PH Tokyo this coming Tuesday, hence the "urgency".

2) What is the correct process to apply the DSU? Do I proceed to make a booking online using my corporate rate first, then wait until the DSU certs appear, only then call GP to apply the suite upgrade?

3) If the DSU certs don't appear in time under My Awards, is there possibility to getting the hotel to "borrow" them in advance, and deduct from my GP account after they appear?

Appreciate any help to clarify these, as an unfamiliar newbie to the scheme.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:02 am

2 is correct - but to apply the suite upgrade, the suite upgrade inventory within the entry level suite (not the entire inventory) must be available - this if you're going to stay regardless or if the reservation is cancellable otherwise call (with your corporate code) and ask if the suite upgrade inventory is available - agent can book and apply the upgrade all at once. 3 - have not heard of them doing this. Since your stay isn't until Tuesday, I don't think that 1 will be a problem.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 5:18 pm

As a data point, looks like my earlier concerns have been allayed. After the system refreshes overnight, my Diamond status is evident and I see the 4 suite upgrade awards sitting there.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA, SPG
Is this true? Many times I've stayed with the wife under her acct to meet her qualification nights. If it is possible to use my upgrades on her stays I'll start using this benefit.

Originally Posted by briansee
Is it possible to apply the DSU to someone else's reservation if I won't physically be staying there with them?
Originally Posted by teese35
You would have to be added to the reservation then you could apply your DSU

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.