Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Use Hyatt credit card with Diamond trial status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:57 am
Original Poster

So I did my last round of apps on 4/22, with the following results

Chase BA 50/25/25 -- approved
Delta Plat personal -- approved
Citi AA biz -- pending (but probably declined -- so annoying. I sent them my business registration certificate, a credit reference letter from JPMorgan, and a voided business check, all of which isn't enough for them. ...?!)

I wanted to apply for DL Plat personal and biz, but the biz link had expired. But when it resurrected a few days ago, I applied and was approved.

I'm staying at a Hyatt soon, and on a Diamond trial I thought I'd get a suite upgrade. Now they tell me that the Diamond suite upgrades aren't available to those "only" on a trial membership.

Do you think it's worth applying for the Chase Hyatt card? Disadvantages -- it's "off cycle", and I've already got one recent "off cycle" app on my credit reports; it gives you free nights, not a number of points (though the nights could be quite valuable). Advantages -- as a Diamond, my two free nights would be in a suite, so I could guarantee a suite for my upcoming stay.

All that said, it might make more sense to (a) use 6000 Chase UR points to get the suite upgrade for this stay and (b) apply for this card "on cycle" and use the two free nights/suite nights at a higher value property.

What do the experts think?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:01 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I think the free nights are good for a year. I would definitely plan to use them at a high-value property.

Are you sure 6K points get you a suite upgrade? I think it might be a Regency Club upgrade.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Yup, 6k for up to four nights: http://www.hyatt.com/gp/en/awards/hyatt_upgrade.jsp

(This is what gives me some pause -- I'm only at this hotel for 2 nights, so I'm effectively paying 3k/night, whereas if I had a 4 night reservation, it would be 1.5k/night.)
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
That 6k upgrade will only get you a suite from a regular, rack rate paid room in certain (higher) categories only.

It is one of the worst values/use of points Hyatt has.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:03 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Retitled and moved to the Hyatt forum because this question primarily relates to the benefits provided by Hyatt, rather than Chase.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:48 am
Original Poster

I talked to Hyatt and they say it will get me into the suite...
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:58 am

Yes, it will. As long as you pay rack rate at a non-resort property, and a higher level rack rate at a resort.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Yes, it will. As long as you pay rack rate at a non-resort property, and a higher level rack rate at a resort.
Maybe I didn't understand your earlier comment?

The cheapest rate listed for at the PH in Washington DC is $249 for a king room. I called and was told that for 6000 pts, my two night stay would be in the Park Executive Suite, which lists at $749. So, about $1000 in value for 6000 pts, doesn't strike me as a bad deal. (Now I would never pay $749 for the suite, but at least nominally its ~17cpp. Based on what I subjectively value it at, it's probably 3-4 cpp. But I don't see how it's "one of the worst values".)
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:32 am

I would call back and double check. If you read the fine print in the link you provided, it explains which rates are eligible. Is that $249 rack rate? If so, that's why they'll confirm it.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Originally Posted by crimson12
Maybe I didn't understand your earlier comment?

The cheapest rate listed for at the PH in Washington DC is $249 for a king room. I called and was told that for 6000 pts, my two night stay would be in the Park Executive Suite, which lists at $749. So, about $1000 in value for 6000 pts, doesn't strike me as a bad deal. (Now I would never pay $749 for the suite, but at least nominally its ~17cpp. Based on what I subjectively value it at, it's probably 3-4 cpp. But I don't see how it's "one of the worst values".)
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I would call back and double check. If you read the fine print in the link you provided, it explains which rates are eligible. Is that $249 rack rate? If so, that's why they'll confirm it.
Most Hyatt hotels' lowest room rates don't qualify as Hyatt Daily Rate= Rack Rate, to allow use of GP points for Regency Club access or suite upgrade.
I've had unpleasant experiences with this little nuance.
However, I believe PH DC (being top line hotel) is one of the exceptions that if you can find good deal, its lowest room rate is considered rack rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.