Wiki Posts
Search

Diamond or Zirconia

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2012, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ex-Delta DM (NWA was nice while it lasted), Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
We all have our little peeves. I am disappointed that there are not good promotions like in the past. Obviously Diamonds are not as rare these days (though it was possible, in the past, to do 4 stays to Diamond or stays count twice).
True, but the lack of promotions hits us all (Gold, Platinum & Diamond) equally, whereas not getting anything close to a decent room, nevermind "best reasonable non suite room available" seems to hit some diamonds with more frequency than might be expected.

I'm not even going into the the whole "what type of suite could I or couldn't I get" with my four certs, I'm just kind of wondering if a "regular/typical" Diamond should be expecting a decent room when they show up at any property these days? And yes, I don't think I would have even conceived of this question a few years back, which leads me back to the original question - is Hyatt starting to really differentiate among classes of diamonds to the point that some are being treated no better than platinums with free breakfast and wifi?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nhwiki

I don't expect to stay in the owner's suite in Kauai on a two-week stay, I really don't expect that, (Although it's happened to me before - pre 9/11 days), but if I'm a diamond, does it mean anything more than breakfast? (Now that we're paying for alcohol at the club?)
You and probably another 20 guests given that's one of Hyatt top resorts... and then there are people who pay for suites..
The property has always treated diamonds very well and your comments are way off.

To expand on this - spa access is $50/day, lounge access is conservatively $50/day. Suites go for at least $200/nt more than regular rooms. Your 10 nt stay confirmed in a suite with upgrade certs represents at the very least $3000 value you got just for being diamond.

For reality check try to get a confirmed suite at spg Hilton or Marriott - see how that goes for you.

Last edited by azepine00; Jun 6, 2012 at 1:24 am
Old Jun 6, 2012, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azepine00
You and probably another 20 guests given that's one of Hyatt top resorts... and then there are people who pay for suites..
The property has always treated diamonds very well and your comments are way off.

To expand on this - spa access is $50/day, lounge access is conservatively $50/day. Suites go for at least $200/nt more than regular rooms. Your 10 nt stay confirmed in a suite with upgrade certs represents at the very least $3000 value you got just for being diamond.

For reality check try to get a confirmed suite at spg Hilton or Marriott - see how that goes for you.
So we agree then – if as a diamond you were initially offered the handi-room on in the Poipu wing on the 4th floor (where half the wing walks by), first room after the first bank of elevators, basically above the noise of the Illma Terrace, you would be surprised by that too, as a diamond? It was our first time back there in four years, but before that, we’ve been there sixteen times since 1997 and we know how diamonds are usually treated, so my simple question is “what’s changed?” And if it were only this experience, I could easily shrug it off and say – hey, stuff happens but together with my other more recent experiences, I'm more than a bit curious.

And finally, perhaps because you are in LA, you don’t fully appreciate the effort some of us non-left coasters make to go to Kauai on a regular basis only to get the handi-room for three days while we’re waiting for a suite. I’m going out of my way to make diamond not so that I can get a basic room in Dallas or Buffalo or where ever, but so that I can get a decent experience precisely at the properties where being a diamond should matter, like the 5th Avenue Andaz or in Kauai.

So is Gold Passport status, real status worth something on a regular basis, or have the ground rules changed for those of us who stretch to make diamond? (again, referring back to if there are levels of diamondness) And to be clear, I’m not talking about folks who spend a ton of cash with Hyatt, I fully appreciate the idea that they should get something for their money. I’m starting to think that it’s easier for me to pay the family rate for two rooms in Kauai, take my middling/basic rooms at regular Hyatt properties when it’s convenient for me, and stay at cheaper or more convenient non-Hyatts (you should appreciate the situation at LAX for example) when it makes sense to. It all comes down to what exactly diamond is worth these days. I’m beginning to think I’ll save some time and money and get a better experience in Kauai (again, if I’m a paying customer) or Buffalo if I’m not Hyatt’s regular date, and that isn’t the way it used to be.

I’m still curious as to what’s “way off” in terms of my comments, though. I was simply describing my experience as a diamond at a number or properties over the last six or eight months, and, I’m not one to usually complain. In fact, I am asking for a reality check, especially when I’m asked to accept a handi-room above the restaurant and the hotel is not full and it’s not a vacation week. Or shown a basic room at Wall Street, or Dallas, or Buffalo? Is there something about my 25 stay diamondness this year that is a problem for Hyatt?

Last edited by nhwiki; Jun 6, 2012 at 2:51 pm
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:07 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I honestly think it is just a hotel thing. When I was a diamond (the past 3 years) the quality of the room at each hotel and each stay would vary. My second stay at the HR San Francisco I was given the Presidental Suite while on AAA rate and I didn't use a suite upgrade. I have stayed at the HR Mission Bay here in San Diego about 6 times and there is no rhyme or reason to the room I received. Sometimes I received a corner jr. suite without asking, another time I got one after asking, and the other times I was told no. Others have reporting getting a villa. The GH San Diego NEVER gave me a suite without using an upgrade cert.

I did a hop around the hotels in Seattle (Bellevue, Olive8, Bellevue, GH) the rooms given each night were different. The rooms even varied at Bellevue even though the stays were one night apart! I received an accessible room at HR Huntington Beach and golf course view at Grand Champion, neither what I would consider "best available." At Newport Beach I got a groundfloor room just inside the fire door with a nice view of the parking lot.

It's a crap shoot. Sad but true. What I miss the most was the soft product: the cards from the GMs, handshakes from on-duty managers, amenities, the "oh, you're a diamond!" treatment. The room was just gravy.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by skunker
What I miss the most was the soft product: the cards from the GMs, handshakes from on-duty managers, amenities, the "oh, you're a diamond!" treatment. The room was just gravy.
I have never had the "Oh, you're a Diamond!" comment.

It's almost always "We have your Diamond number on file. Would you like the points or the amenity?"
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:56 am

NHWiki - It looks like your quick question hit a lot of nerves! I agree with you on all fronts . . . it boils down to a matter of dollars and where you want to spend them. Hubby and I have been Hyatt loyalists for years. Then we hear from our friends some of their extraordinary experiences at properties outside the Hyatt family, some which are unaffiliated with any loyalty program, and think, why are we playing this Diamond game when there are places we could stay that require no loyalty and offer an exceptional experience?

And what gets to us most is what happened recently at the Hyatt Grand Champions . . . we had to pay a $23/day resort fee for things we are already entitled to as Diamond! In fact, when we asked if they could waive it for us, they said no waiving, but they would discount it by $5.

So, I, too, ask, where is the Diamond love?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT DIA
It's almost always "We have your Diamond number on file. Would you like the points or the amenity?"
+1 YUP
Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by kenbo
I have never had the "Oh, you're a Diamond!" comment.

Maybe I didn't look like a Diamond. It would usually be something like this:

"Checking in? Ok, (or Oh) I see you are a Diamond; thank you for your loyality. We have upgraded you to (fill in the blank). Would you like points or the amenity?" And then they would give me their card and said to call if I needed anything.

It didn't happend at every hotel, but it used to happen with some regularity.

Ah, the good ol days.

Last edited by skunker; Jun 6, 2012 at 1:05 pm
Old Jun 6, 2012, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skunker
Maybe I didn't look like a Diamond. It would usually be something like this:

"Checking in? Ok, (or Oh) I see you are a Diamond; thank you for your loyality. We have upgraded you to (fill in the blank). Would you like points or the amenity?" And then they would give me their card and said to call if I needed anything.

It didn't happend at every hotel, but it used to happen with some regularity.

Ah, the good ol days.
Ah, yes, the good ol days. Or, at Wall Street.

Host - "Will you (arched eyebrows) be staying with us?"

Me. Thinking to myself, as I set down my bag. "No, I thought this was the local genius bar." Folks who've been checked in at the Andaz may be in on the bad joke, kind of like the Graceland ironic or non-ironic tours.

Me. "Yes."

Host. "I see you will be with us for three nights. What credit card will you be using . . ."
He walks me to the elevator, and up we go. Right to five. Shows me the basic king size room. No mention of breakfast, no mention of amenity. I ask, quite politely if they might have something that matches my profile a little better, and mention that I'll take the points instead of the amenity. He has no idea what I might be talking about.

I'm used to points not posting correctly much of the time, (has come with the territory for a long, long time), and although I'm not pleased with the promotion situation right now, really missing the FFN's, I could count on a decent room and decent service at a full service property. And while I appreciate the suite upgrades, which I have been lucky enough to use quite wisely, they don't replace things like not getting a room next to the elevator.

I also find it interesting that some folks in the thread have commented that occupancy is up, and although Hyatt Corp. missed it's last quarter target, they are still doing quite well. When business was bad, Hyatt used that as a reason, a quite valid one, to scale back on tangible bennies, for instance alcohol in the clubs, and comping diamonds for parking and resort fees. So now that things have picked up, where are those things?

And they can't get the basic things promised to every diamond right on a regular basis, I guess that might be a sign of where Hyatt is going.

(And note, I left out any reference to the whole tip-included and how much is breakfast at the Andaz debate, which could easily extend this discussion for another five pages.)

So, any other diamond lites not feeling the love so much these days, or is it just my luck? (And I'm not talking here to recent diamond challengers or newbies) Hearing from Mary2e and some of the others, RichardinSF, for example, about how things are now for the basics in the program day in and out, are really revealing.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 8 MM, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond
Speaking with 15 consecutive years as a “Diamond Card Holder”, I really think that the HP, HH properties and perhaps Flyer Talk and the alike, have changed the “Diamond Card Holder” demographic and I’m afraid some of the shine is coming off the Diamond recognition.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 6:44 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I'm a leisure traveler and all stays are self-funded (with the exception of my partner's annual conference which is tax deductible). Have been Diamond for 9 years.

Aside from the Hyatt Places and Hyatt House properties which basically have no Diamond recognition - other than the bonus welcome points which they are much more likely to post automatically now since the 50% "penalty" for not posting.

I haven't seen a big decline in my treatment at properties. Part of this is that I've finally optimized usage of the Diamond Suite Upgrades (and since we're both Diamonds this year due to Star Mega Do 3 - we have 8 to use - so have been able to confirm just about all muti-night stays in suites).

While, I'm sure that I have not gotten the upgrades as called for in the T&Cs (best available non-suite rooms) in all cases, I have not gotten any terrible rooms. My biggest complaints were in conjunction with the stays during Star Mega Do 3 (the properties kind of freaked out and over-reacted to having 160 Diamonds in house and did things that did not show off the Diamond status very well).

Not to turn this into a comparison with other programs but I still think that Hyatt Diamonds are treated much better than Starwood Platinums (which I also have). Starwoods "new" benefits announced a couple months ago are pretty much a "yawn" for me a Platinum "lite" (basically means to me that the elusive suite upgrade will have disappeared).
Old Jun 6, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
I have to say that I would certainly echo some of the comments here, but find that overall Diamond treatment at Hyatt properties is pretty good. It is probably fair to say that it is rarely exceptionally good and also rarely bad. You typically get consistently executed service with a smile. You know what to expect. Which is something I couldn't say for most other chains and is a true competitive differentiator for Hyatt. I am willing to pay extra for that.

That said, I have only been Diamond for about 3 years and while Hyatt represents a little bit of a comfort zone for me, I personally find SPG Plat recognition much better these days. Consistent upgrades, often to premium suites (just recently to a premium corner suite with harbor view at the W Hong Kong and the top suite at the W Chicago City Center, both on point stays), and good service work for me. Upgrades at Hyatt seem pretty boring in comparison. Usually a one category upgrade, but rarely more than that. My experience with the new SPG Suite awards is that properties will still regularly upgrade from the confirmed suite upgrade category, if the uprade is available. Personally, I have found that the occasional super upgrade builds a lot of loyalty. Either Hyatt consistently sells these premium rooms, there are lots of other Diamonds ahead of me, or Hyatt properties would rather leave these rooms empty than go beyond GP requirements.

As a data point for those who worry about spend, I give Hyatt quite a bit of business (including work stays, meetings, and leisure, many of which at Park Hyatts) and am on track to easily hit Lifetime Diamond on my 10th anniversary. I do get the occasional note from the GM, a welcome e-mail from the front desk prior to arrival, and recently was offered a private checkin at the GH Hong Kong. But in terms of upgrades I don't feel much love.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I think that treatment varies majorly by property. Not a high level Diamond, but I have a mix of properties in my history. A sampling of my most recent stays-

Properties that seem to treat me well with benefits:

HR MCO - my home property, u/g to suite/jr suite/dlx room nearly every time. Always goes above and beyond.

GH SAT- staff and management are excellent. Club floor jr suite without ug cert on AAA rate.

HR clearwater Beach - nice property, seem to u/g without issue

GH Washington, DC - great service / allowd to keep suite u/g even on partial paid/points stay

HR BOS - Consistent great service / ug to high floor harbor view

HR PHX downtown- very good svc, met requests without issue.

HR Houston DT - great srvc. Went above and beyond.

MEDIOCRE:

HR DFW - consistent ug to deluxe room, but not much else in srvc.

HR STL at the Arch- on the fence here. Always friendly, ug's are common, but nothing special.

HR Orange County - always given decent ug, svc is avg. to good.

GH Tampa Bay - UG to decent room- for this hotel. Seem to care about status.

HR Crystal City- always friendly and consistently ug to corner rooms.

POOR:

HR SAT- no ug, no special treatment/service

Buffalo- hotel is a joke. Ug are non-existent. I will say that I could put them in mediocre category due to the efforts they took to correct an unfavorable experience.

HR Grand Cypress - i always feel nickle and dimed here... Svc is not great and recognition is minimal to non-existant.

HR Tampa - no ug, no care, no concern...
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Mad4Miles
Speaking with 15 consecutive years as a “Diamond Card Holder”, I really think that the HP, HH properties and perhaps Flyer Talk and the alike, have changed the “Diamond Card Holder” demographic and I’m afraid some of the shine is coming off the Diamond recognition.
I think you are absolutely right.

Which is why it's ever more important for Hyatt (and every chain, for that matter) to develop more sophisticated ways to assess and reward the members that truly add the most to the bottom line.

As the United Airlines CFO recently put it regarding top elites in their program, some members have grown "over-entitled." Don't want to focus on them.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I think you are absolutely right.

Which is why it's ever more important for Hyatt (and every chain, for that matter) to develop more sophisticated ways to assess and reward the members that truly add the most to the bottom line.

In that case they shouldn't have expanded in HP/HH space however they and every other chain did just that (HP, aloft, homewood, HIX etc etc - how many recently opened top tier properties can you think of in US?).

The reality is that

a) the growth and competition is not in top tier properties but rather low to midrange space

b) people who stay at top tier properties are less likely to be swayed by loyalty programs - they can afford the best to begin with no matter what affiliation there is and improving recognition and benefits for that limited segment of guests across thousands of properties is not cost effective

c) for whatever reason you assume that stays at expensive properties have better profit margins and I am not convinced that's always the case; $400 rate at downtown PH where the cost of doing business is very high may be less profitable to Hyatt than $150 rate at generic HP of which they can build hundreds and franchise with minimal operating costs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.