Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz (Avia) Savannah REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2012, 11:21 am
Used to be hamajicky
Original Poster

Just got back from a 2 night stay at the AVIA Savannah. While probably nicer than the Regency, it's still not all that great in my opinion.

Here are my issues (stayed in a Grand Studio Suite):
1. Bad sound insulation--can hear all conversations in the hallway and lots of street noise.
2. The A/C unit is loud and right in front of the bed (at least in our room)
3. The bathroom lighting is not great
4. No decor at all in the bathroom
5. No separate toilet room in the bathroom
6. TV was wonky and took forever to tune a channel in
7. The self-promotion signs throughout the hotel seemed cheap and off-putting (like check out our sexy firepit, come see our fancy pool, have a drink at our luxurious bar)

The good stuff:
1. Toiletries are by Lather and are nice
2. Towels are good quality
3. Bed was comfortable
4. Minibar is not a complete ripoff

Other issues that were stay specific:
1. Someone else's breakfast charge appeared on my bill, but was easily taken off at checkout
2. Housekeeping knocked on my door at least twice between the hours of 8-10am, despite the do not disturb sign being out.
3. There was a gross stain on our red velvet couch

In Savannah, there are lots of options for hotels. I prefer the Bohemian or the Mansion, or even the Holiday Inn Express over the Avia.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 8:36 am

Programs: HY DIA, HI Gold, M Plat, SPG Gold, AC Plat
Updated Review

Figured since this thread was lacking in reviews I'd add some information on my recent stay. Stayed here this week on a paid stay for one night. It was my first stay in an Andaz property and I was underwhelmed. It reminds me a little of W hotels which I feel lack something.

Room: Even though I was Diamond and the hotel was pratically empty, I only received a standard king room which is what I reserved. I was disappointed I wasn't upgraded but since this was a quick visit, I didn't push it. The room was nice with a minibar and snacks which were full stocked (about four snacks, coke, diet coke, water, juice).

Hotel: Lobby is nice and faces one of the big squares in Savannah. Check-in is a little weird as their is no real front desk, just a table. I didn't check out the pool or fire pit as I was here on business. Fitness center is 24 hours.

Breakfast: Breakfast is in the lobby and was included because I was Diamond. The hotel only covers $18 per person which covers the full buffet. The spread was pretty good with fruit, cereal, yogurt, granola, bread, muffins, made to order omelets, bacon sausage, potatoes, and a special. For the day I was there it was citrus pancakes which were amazing!

Parking: Parking is pricey, but not too bad given the location. $23 for valet. I will say the valet lied about self parking which rubbed me the wrong way. The hotel is on top of a public garage and so you can park in there for $16 for 24 hours, but no in and out privileges (parking deck is open 24 hrs a day). Since Savannah is walking friendly, you really don't need to get your car for anything so it works fine. The valet did lie and say it was $10 for every 4 hours, which rubbed me the wrong way.

Location: Its a very small block off bay street which is where most of the hotels are located and within about a three to four minute walk from River Street.

Diamond Treatment: I have to say I was really disappointed in that respect. I don't feel I have very high standards when I come to Diamond recognition, but this hotel managed to not even meet those:
No thank you for status at check-in, she didn't even mention it until I did as she handed me my keys.
No offer of the diamond amenity until I asked.
No upgraded room even though hotel was pratically empty.
No mention of breakfast amenity until I asked.
Had to review the bill and ask for breakfast to be removed at check-out.

All in all, It was ok. If the service was as good as the room, I'd stay here again. Otherwise I'd pick the Hyatt Regency Savannah as the staff there are extremely nice and treatment was much better (received an upgraded suite with view of river for Diamond).
Old Dec 22, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
Avia (Andaz) Savannah REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Sorry to hear you had a bad stay here. I stay between here and the regency every week. For what it's worth, I have always received a room upgrade, even when I was platinum. Maybe they just recognize me, better upgrade percentage here than the regency.

I think the breakfast is one of the better ones I have had at hyatts. I do like that andaz and the regency do not have good restraunts, which encourages me to leave the property and experience the city.

Fire pit is not open this time of year but is very nice in the spring or summer.

Agree the parking is a pain, but an okay trade off for being in a historic town. Exercise facility is nice but I find I go running down on the waterfront instead, much nicer.

Agree on the tvs, they just seem slow and I can't channel surf late at night.

I do like the wine offer when I check in, it allows me to unwind quicker.

Agree on the maid service, the do not disturb signs seem useless, but I have found the front desk staff very friendly and easy to deal with.

Must agree on the sound in the hotel, I always seem to hear everyone in the halls. Rooms overall are a little tight, elevators take forever, but I think I prefer here to the regency.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: Lots
I personally prefer the Regency as I feel I get better Diamond treatment there and the atmosphere of the Andaz is a little hipper than thou but...

Everyone is forgetting the most important thing about this hotel - at the bar they have glasses full of seasoned BACON for you to munch on while boozing.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
I stayed here two weeks ago and was disappointed. Think they would have done better renaming it a Hyatt Place, as it's closer to that and not an Andaz as you would experience in NY, LA or elsewhere.

The king room that we poked our head in looked tiny. The suite we eventually got (front desk had no record even though it was confirmed by them 3 days prior) was big but lacked any charm,.

The breakfast was underwhelming.

Parking is pretty spendy, considering you can park yourself under the hotel for half the price. Or free on the streets on the weekends if you can find a spot.

On the plus side, a free wine is nice after a few hours drive and the location is great.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 5:36 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
First time going to Savannah on a drive down to Florida. Also have never stayed at an Andaz so I can't comment on whether or not it stacks up to the brand.

Pros:
Location. Easy to walk just about everywhere we wanted to go.
Welcome wine.
Upgraded us to a King Suite overlooking Ellis Square even though just a PM
Candied Bacon at bar.
Toiletries and complimentary in room refreshments. The girlfriend really liked them. I can't recall what they were.
Staff overall were very pleasant and helpful especially the valets/door guys.

Cons:
Smallish/awkward pool area. It looked like the outside bar would be nice and fun at night but it closes at 10pm
Parking. Having never been there I was confused and ended up valeting for $23 which seems steep.

Not sure about the Hyatt Regency which is very close but I would definitely stay here again.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:15 am
Suspended

Any recent reviews? Looking into using my chase free night cert here this spring. I stayed here almost 2 years ago...don't even remember my own analysis!
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: HY DIA, HI Gold, M Plat, SPG Gold, AC Plat
Originally Posted by pricesquire
Any recent reviews? Looking into using my chase free night cert here this spring. I stayed here almost 2 years ago...don't even remember my own analysis!
I posted above, but I gave another try and after that have stayed at it a handful of times. Probably my favorite hotel in Savannah given its location and its condition. Staff are very nice and their Breakfast in the restaurant is great. They typically upgrade Diamonds to the larger rooms, although I've had a different type of room everytime I've stayed there, so I'm not really sure if there is a default option. Most of the time the room upgrades have been to room with balcony's or a view of the Square its on.

One word of advice, don't bother with Valet, the parking garage they use is public and is under the square in front of the hotel. Its like $6-10 bucks overnight.

Can't really comment on the Fitness Center or Pool as I've never used either.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Thanks
Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:11 am

Anyone know what the diamond amenity is at this location? Figure I will go with the amenity over the points, so I will report back if nobody knows.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 7:01 pm

Just back from a three night stay the property, a few thoughts below:

- Check-in was smooth even though it was busy and later in the evening (10p). Offered a complimentary glass of wine, which was a nice touch while getting the details sorted. Also offered the choice of amenity, which was a "Local" choice (house pickled veggies, home-made crostini, and some local brie cheese) or a "Seasonal" choice (some fruit, homemade yogurt, etc). We chose the local option, which was nice.

- Had booked into an Andaz Suite and no upgrade from the room (albeit not expected, especially as it was fully booked over the busy 4th of July weekend). Only downside was that room was over the pool area on the back of the hotel and not overlooking the square. I think that maybe the square-view rooms are the next level up from the 'standard' suite? There was certainly noise from the pool area but nothing too obnoxious.

- The pool area is far too small for the amount of demand. On the two occasions that we attempted to go down, there was absolutely nowhere to sit. We kept looking down from the balcony at random times never saw an open place to sit. Not a big deal as we weren't going to Savannah to lounge by the pool but would have been nice to have the chance to lay out for a bit in the afternoons.

- Now on to the breakfast/food which was the best and worst part of the stay. As a diamond, you are given ~$20pp ($20+gratuity+tax) which would cover either the full breakfast spread or any of the a la carte dishes. The full breakfast was fairly nice, with the traditional continental breakfast staples (very high quality) and also a changing hot item daily. Pastries/bread were all very fresh and delicious. I had a couple of the a la carte dishes, which were also fantastic. Unfortunately, the service was really poor. Waiting thirty minutes for a breakfast dish in a restaurant with 10 people in it (half of which were getting the buffet)? If we were actually paying, we wouldn't have been back after the first day. Also, we had an order in for room service one night that we cancelled after 90 minutes wait.

- Overall, we were pleased. Location was great, hosts/front desk staff were awesome, and the room itself was nice enough. Other than the bad food service experiences, we would have no qualms recommending to others.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 2:48 pm
Used to be " vincentppetty "

Programs: DL Platinum/1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium; Loews Platinum; GHA/Omni Platinum; Hilton Gold
Talking AMAZING!!!!

Just switched from the HR Savannah to the Andaz after a very disappointing experience at the HR Savannah. The Andaz is absolutely AMAZING!! Excellent Diamond Recognition, quick and wonderful check-in experience and a truly magnificent Suite with an AMAZING bathroom! I will post a full TripAdvisor Review with Photos within the week, but I would highly recommend the Andaz Savannah!
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:30 pm

Hello! For the diamond breakfast, do you know if I have 4 people in my room, will everyone get breakfast?

For the suites, does anyone know if that can sleep 4? I'm looking at the descriptions and it looks like there is only a king bed. I can't tell if the sofa turns into a sofa bed.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Has anyone ever been able to redeem their Hyatt CC annual free night here? It was never available so in previous years I just figured it was because the hotel was busy but now that you can check availability online I can't find a single date that it is available. There are nights when it's available on points but never with your annual free night.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wyoming007
Has anyone ever been able to redeem their Hyatt CC annual free night here? It was never available so in previous years I just figured it was because the hotel was busy but now that you can check availability online I can't find a single date that it is available. There are nights when it's available on points but never with your annual free night.
I did last year, in February. I did it via a phone call and maybe there just happened to be low demand but in appears there is a lot of demand in Savannah every weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.