Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Montreal REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (leaving 12/18/18 - Doubletree)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Montreal REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (leaving 12/18/18 - Doubletree)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2014, 2:52 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Just spent a few days at the HR Montreal, and it wasn't nearly as bad as some of the earlier reviews would suggest :-)

In fact it was a perfectly fine stay for the rate paid. Room was a bit on the smaller side, and dark. But mine had a nice view on the Place des Arts and was good enough for a city stay. Bathroom was a bit cramped though and wasn't very good (motel quality with a small bath as a shower), but everything worked.

As said, hotel entrance is a bit weird with multiple elevators. But having access to the shopping mall was nice, even though it's dead after 18:00. Location is also quite nice with an easy walk to a lot of the sights and easy access to the bus/metro system.

The money seems to have been spent on the public areas. Quite nice, and in a different class than the rooms. Gym was a bit small but most of the basic stuff is there, pool area is a lot bigger.

As a Diamond I had access to the lounge but didn't use that. What I saw of it didn't impress me much, but it's hard to really judge since I didn't actually go there in the evening. With such good food available in town I didn't really feel the need. Breakfast was in the restaurant, only just decent in my opinion. Low quality food and drinks and I was completely bored with the selection after 3 days. The option to have some eggs prepared is nice though.

Minor complaint was that there was no mention of the festival that was about to start, and for which days were needed to setup all the stages. It was a bit of a pain to have all that noise with the constant beeping of the machinery (they worked really late and started early), the sound checks at 23:00 and the blinding light show that was aimed at the rooms the whole night. And that was before the festival even started..... So if you are there the coming week, don't expect any sleep before at least midnight. But that's probably the intention anyway :-).

And that letter I found in my room one day from the GM asking/begging to give them a favorable vote in the Hyatt survey I found to be totally unprofessional, especially since that was the only communication received (no welcome card here).

But overall an OK property.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 3:13 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
Currently in this property presidential suite with a lucky upgrade thanks to the FOM . Amazing room and great views from 6 or 7 windows. Also has a fireplace and desktop computer , 6 seater dinging table , 2 day beds 1.5 bathrooms . Shower has one of those with the jets coming from 8 different heads from your legs up. Very nicely decorated with striped wall paper dark wooden furniture .Also the lighting system has dimers on each switch which is a nice morning/evening touch

Bathroom amenities are Damana brand seems like quality. Very deep tub with aqua-vision TV in the corner and extremely comfortable bed with high quality linen.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:58 pm

I'm staying at the hotel this week and am debating a taxi from airport or the 747 bus. Anyone care to comment on these two options?

Thanks
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:13 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I took a taxi to the hotel and the 747 bus to the airport. Both work with the taxi being a bit more convenient and not that much more expensive (relatively) CAD 40 vs 10.

The bus stop is just around the corner from the hotel, so even with luggage not that far a walk. It did get very crowded though on my trip. And off course it takes more time as well.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:18 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Ross0
I'm staying at the hotel this week and am debating a taxi from airport or the 747 bus. Anyone care to comment on these two options?

Thanks
I started taking the 747 bus a few years ago. I find that if I am not in a big hurry to get to the hotel, it is good enough for me.

The walk from the bus stop to the hotel is about a block. Very convenient.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
We took the 747 bus because your ticket works also on the Metro. A one day metro ticket is $10 or $18 for a 3-day ticket. You can use it for buses or the subway.

We are staying at the Hyatt right now for 3 nights. We are enjoying all of the action with the festivals.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Just finished a 3-night award stay with the family. Overall, we enjoyed our stay. The hotel has some strange design elements that makes it a quirky place. Getting to street level requires two elevator rides from the room tower. The rooms are standard fare but the bathrooms are on the small side. Our room was quiet and I was thrilled to see we didn't have the dreaded door to a connecting room.

As we needed two beds, I wasn't expecting an upgrade and didn't receive one. The elevators were on the slow side and the floor buttons were hard to see if your desired floor had been selected.

The Regency Club is located on the lobby level and has a nice outdoor seating area. They put out a nice spread and there are plenty of places to sit. You have to be at least 18 years old to enter the club after 5pm. Snacks and hot food are out from 5:00 to 7:30 with dessert being offered from 7:30 to 9:00. Beer and wine are $4. They often ran out of food early and did not replenish. One night they were taking away the food at 7:18.

A breakfast buffet is served in the adjacent restaurant. A large food court is located beneath the hotel in the vast underground network.

We liked the location and were only one block from the Metro.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I just completed a three night stay here. I had no noise problems. The rooms were nice.... typical Hyatt. The plug situation near the bed was not optimal but workable.

I found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

The breakfast buffet was a bit disappointing. The omelette chef was either missing entirely if you were there too early (all the setups were there so I knew one was coming eventually) or so busy that I didn't both waiting in the line. The pastry was decent. The fruits were minimal but what was there was good. The eggs were fine when you could get them but the other hot food was a pass. The breakfast was the weak point in the whole stay.

I only went to the Regency Club one evening. It was just okay. The lounge hostess had a bit of a scowl on her face and was not at all friendly. The food spread was fine but nothing to go out of your way for.

I'd be happy to stay there again.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:42 am

This is the most impressive hotel museum I have ever visited. The 'club floor' room exhibits are uncannily like hotel rooms from 1992 (particularly the bathrooms, wallpaper, room layout, lackluster diamond amenity and public spaces (other than the lobby). The exhibit on indifferent service on every floor was also well executed.

Despite the whining, my stay was fine. The regency club was above average in the evening and the buffet breakfast was solid. I was however a little miffed to get a room with such a crappy view as a diamond while the hotel was less than half full.

Last edited by BobR; Oct 4, 2014 at 7:26 am
Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Great Service

Had a long weekend stay here last weekend(made longer by the mess at ORD) and experienced a real upgrade in service.
Olga in the longe, The FDR's I dealt with as well as the housekeeping and security staff I dealt with were all great.
The rooms DESPERATELY need a freshening. but my suite had a great view of the now completed Place Des Arts complex( I loved watching the video art) and Mont Royal
Old Dec 31, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond, HHonors: Diamond, SPG: Gold
Upgraded to the Presidential Suite!

Stayed here back in June on a 14 hour layover from EU -> NA using C&P + diamond suite upgrade. The hotel doesn't appear to get many elite visitors as we were upgraded to the Presidential Suite (!).

The Mrs. and I had an early flight out, so we didn't get to try breakfast or the gym. Overall the hotel is nice, if a little dated. The location is pretty convenient to downtown and is roughly 20 - 30 minutes from the airport.

Partial review with pictures on the ol' blog, for anyone who is interested.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:10 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Consider yourself very lucky, as I found out using a DSU here is normally a complete waste since the entry level suite is nothing but 2 rooms that are pretty useless.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:37 am

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond, HHonors: Diamond, SPG: Gold
Totally. I have no idea how/why it happened - the hotel didn't appear to be that empty. Nor did I email the hotel ahead of time.

Maybe they just threw me a bone since I was an elite that was there for 14 hours? Otherwise the Hyatt Montreal appeared to be decent quality for points - not sure I'd pay for it otherwise.
Old May 23, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
We just completed two stays here, one week apart. The first stay was in a standard room and on the 2nd stay I used a DSU for a suite.

Both stays were wonderful. We requested and received rooms facing Place Des Arts which is very colorful and graphic at night. The room was a standard Hyatt room of nice size, very clean, and nicely decorated. The suite consisted of what was two connecting rooms, with a bedroom connected to a living room. The living room had two chairs and a sofa as well as a desk. As they were essentially connecting rooms, we had two bathrooms, which is always great.

The service at the hotel was terrific ! I was warmly greeted at the front desk and on our 2nd stay the agent even came out from the desk and shook my hand and thanked me for being a Diamond member and for staying with them.

The Club had a wonderful evening service each night and it was sufficient to constitute dinner for us several nights. The Club attendant was very friendly and helpful. The only downside was that no liquor service is available in the Club, only wine and beer. As I'm a two martini man every evening I had to leave the Club and go to the bar (nearby) and pay quite heafty prices for drinks. Clubs usually offer alcoholic drinks at greatly reduced prices so this was a disappointment here.

Diamond breakfast is taken in the restaurant where there is an extensive buffet and an omelet station. I did not see where an a la carte menu was available. We were very pleased with the selection and quality. It should be noted that this Hyatt does not have a restaurant open in the evening, but just outside the hotel there is a plethora of them.

Parking is a little odd here. If you are going to be going in and out it would be best to use the Hyatt valet. Otherwise, you can park in the Des Jardens mall adjacent to the hotel ($20 a night) or in an open lot across the street from the hotel entrance for even less.

We truly enjoyed this hotel and the staff. We're looking forward to another visit.
Old May 27, 2015, 8:18 am

Blackout?

Is there some kind of a blackout with this hotel for the summer? I was searching for various dates where the standard King room is available but when click to use points, says is unavailable!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.