FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Hyatt Regency Montreal REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (leaving 12/18/18 - Doubletree) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/135294-hyatt-regency-montreal-review-master-thread-leaving-12-18-18-doubletree.html)

pantanal Nov 26, 2012 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by ThreeA4Me (Post 19688251)
GB,

What would you suggest in Montreal? As a diamond, I get the club lounge and breakfast for a family of four -- and the rate is $110 for an upgraded room. Can that be beat?

You can get the Intercontinental at LMT Club for $86. Its a nicer hotel

WCT3U Nov 28, 2012 7:02 am

FYI. There's road construction in the area of the Hyatt and the south-east side of the block is closed. You can't drive up
Rene-Levesque Boulevard and turn left to Rue Jeanne-Mance and the Hyatt. Instead, enter by turning left on the opposite end of the block (Sainte-Catherine St).

luchoqc Nov 28, 2012 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by WCT3U (Post 19759127)
FYI. There's road construction in the area of the Hyatt and the south-east side of the block is closed. You can't drive up
Rene-Levesque Boulevard and turn left to Rue Jeanne-Mance and the Hyatt. Instead, enter by turning left on the opposite end of the block (Sainte-Catherine St).

FYI, there is road construction everywhere in Montreal! :eek:

longwaybackhome Dec 29, 2012 8:43 pm

I'm pulling a similar stunt concert-wise to what I did last year, and I decided to book the Hyatt this time for my trip to Montreal. (This time it's two separate trips over consecutive weekends.) I hope the hotel isn't awful.

localtraveler Jan 28, 2013 10:46 am

We just stayed at the Hyatt Regency Montreal this weekend. The hotel is good for a North American Hyatt Regency.

Check-In: Quick and friendly. Paid for a standard room, received a club room as a Diamond. Did not ask for an upgrade. Note that if you're arriving from the self-park lot, you'll want to take the elevator to the 6th floor. I wasn't paying attention and wandered around on the 4th floor for a bit.

Lounge: Was pretty much empty the Saturday that I was there. The hotel got really busy in the afternoon with the guests who were part of the auto show, but I guess they didn't have lounge access. There's food out for most of the day. Continental breakfast in the lounge, but hot breakfast is available at no charge for Diamonds in the restaurant next door (Saveur). Not sure if the hot food is available at no charge for non-diamonds with lounge access. Honor bar is $4 per glass for basic red and white wine. Other alcohols are available but need to be requested.

Room: Acceptable, though nothing to write home about. Bed was too soft and made my back ache. I'm guessing that the renovation did not include replacement of mattresses.

Public Spaces: Pretty nice. The lounge is nice, with a trendy bar area, nice lighting, pool table, etc. At risk of being crass, the urinal dividers have a really cool optical illusion where the glass divider makes it look like you can see the urinal next to yours, but it's actually just a reflection. (Don't worry, I was alone in the bathroom at the time. :p) The lobby is recently renovated, and the hotel is connected to an indoor mall.

Location: Was good for this first-time tourist to Montreal. Walking distance to Old Montreal as well as the shopping district along Rue St-Urbain and Rue St-Laurent.

Overnight Parking: $25 valet (did not use) and $20 self-park. I would recommend valet because the self-park does not give you in/out privileges and has a minimum $10 charge even for a short park.

I think that's about it from what I can remember. Overall, I'd probably go back but the bed quality may make me reconsider.

jisaac May 12, 2013 10:08 pm

Anyone stay more recently than January here? Based on the reviews I am wondering if as a Diamond it would still be worth staying or heading to one of the newer nearby hotels.

peteropny May 27, 2013 6:31 pm

We just stayed here for 3 nights over the weekend. Checkin agent was very friendly and helpful. Unfortunately things went downhill from there. I used a diamond suite upgrade nd got the expected luxury suite on the 7th floor - two connected rooms with one setup as a living room area. The rooms are in bad need of renovation.

Breakfast is not in the club but in the breakfast restaurant buffet (it seems like the hotel now caters to tour groups that have breakfast included - the breakfast experience is chaotic and unpleasant.

Evening service is provided in the club. While two years ago, I thought that it was n outstanding domestic club, it is now quite a bad excuse for a club. Empty items aren't replenished in a timely manner. Drink selection is pathetic, one night the only drinks that were out was club soda and bottled water.

I do like the property but its definitely gone downhill.

bigguyinpasadena May 30, 2013 7:57 am

OK hotel,,,

I was here over M'day weekend.
Service issues with housekeeping (resolved) and in the lounge(but only on the weekend-the person in the lounge during the week does a great job)put a light damper on my stay.
Renovations on the guest floors will start in fall of this year according to the FDM

jayer Aug 26, 2013 7:09 pm

Fully OK, But Missed Potential

Nothing at all wrong with the room a little time spent on cosmetic blemishes could not fix (wallpaper seams coming loose, furniture scratches--not bad but easily fixable). Just don't know why hotels don't keep somebody working on that little stuff. Otherwise quiet, good bedding, lots of hot water. Not the best hotel stay or most current room I've ever had but solid enough. My experience was nothing like the horror stories upthread.

Checked in quite early and was placed in a high floor room with a good view. Suitable Diamond greeting. No further upgrade offered, but I was early and it was a view room. Got what I paid for.

The Regency Club is a mixed bag and full of potential all at the same time. Large, well-furnished ground floor room with attached business area, but hours are very short and nothing but cookies out in the afternoon--and not till 2:00. Evening layout was appealing to look at and varied but not that good. While they had warm soup and a warm finger food plate, it would be a stretch to say they had a hot dish. There were some bland small desserts with the general layout. (I got the idea there was not a featured dessert item later--which I thought was brand standard now--but I was not there at close). It could be a fabulous club with a bit more effort but it isn't quite there. (The club staff however, were quite commendable).

In a you really can have it both ways twist, flash your Regency Club room key and you got the breakfast buffet. Served in a large breakfast-only space past the club. Really pretty good for a mass-feeding effort with hot offerings and lots of variety. (Apparently they don't do pepper in Canada so smuggle in your own).

Hotel is built on top of a shopping mall and is awkward to enter. The most obvious entries/exits (should I say sorties) all involve at least a few steps. If you are mobility impaired I'm not sure what to tell you to do.

There is now an express bus from the airport (The obvious but dated "Route 747") that stops at the corner a block south of the hotel (Stop #7). Tickets can be charged at vending machines at the airport. Runs every 20 minutes.

fcgoal Sep 20, 2013 1:09 pm

We just stayed here a couple of weeks ago, and I agree with what Jayer said above.
It is a very OK hotel. The hallways are a bit dated, but the lobby and bar/lounge area are very nice. The diamond buffet breakfast was perfectly fine. Not as good as I've had even at some US Hyatts, but above average by an American standard (I haven't been to enough hotels in Canada to know whether the standard there is generally higher or lower).
There was pepper on the tables for breakfast :-)
We had a room on a high floor, as diamonds, but the view was terrible. I suppose I should've asked for a room with a nice view, but I just thought being on the top floor we would have one. We mostly could see the side of the other wing of the hotel. Oh well.
The location is very good. You are quite centrally located and can get to the metro without going outside by going through the Place des Jardins then Place des Arts. It's quite a nice way to enter the subway, actually.
Easy walk to chinatown and old Montreal.

lardiop Jan 23, 2014 2:26 pm

Any recent experiences or tips here?

I have a reservation on the Diamond Trial, and I just called in and used a Diamond upgrade cert.

Not sure if the executive suites are 'newly renovated' like some of the other rooms listed on the website.

danger Feb 20, 2014 6:23 am

Originally Posted by dlassen (Post 17444868)
. . . Gym and pool: 5

Gym and pool
============
Very nice facilities, no complaint here.

Can anyone offer an update, particularly on the fitness centre?

There yet? Feb 21, 2014 2:00 pm

Obviously, it depends what you're looking for in the fitness centre - assuming it hasn't been recently renovated, I'd call it "average to good". It's not huge by any means, but I've never found it crowded. Decent equipment - 3 or 4 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, couple bikes, some free weights & benches, mats, water, etc. I can't actually remember if they have weight 'machines'...
It's in a (separate) room off the pool, which is in the 'half-basement', i.e. there's still some daylight.
So - not the best hotel fitness centre I've ever been to (DFW Grand Hyatt perhaps?), but certainly adequate.

Contrary to some, I think the evening RC food is excellent, both quality and quantity. Perhaps I've been lucky, YMMV! :)

The rooms, even the renovated ones, are small-ish and dark-ish, but it's an older style building and I suppose there's only so much they can do. As long as you don't arrive expecting them to be a-maz-ing, they're just fine.

And can't beat the location for some of Montreal's great festivals!

banzani Feb 22, 2014 1:53 pm

Hyatt Regency Montreal REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

If you want a good gym in YMQ I recommend the Westin. It's the best I've seen anywhere.

There yet? Feb 23, 2014 1:18 pm

Actually, I agree. If you're not wedded to Hyatt, the Westin Montreal gym is fantastic (& their Plat breakfast in the restaurant beats the Hyatt's too, IMHO)