FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Hyatt Regency Montreal REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (leaving 12/18/18 - Doubletree) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/135294-hyatt-regency-montreal-review-master-thread-leaving-12-18-18-doubletree.html)

GB Jul 7, 2011 10:38 am

Won't be going back

I just stayed here this week as well. Lobby remodeling is nice, but only one tiny sign in the lower lobby directing you to the correct elevator. Extremely confusing, especially if you are carrying luggage.
Check in was OK. Lobby now is trying to emulate a "W" Hotel vibe but decor and music don't work with the level of snootiness of the desk clerks and Regency Club "butler" (an older bomastic looking guy in a tie and coat who turned his back on me repeatedly when I entered. No greeting, no nothing.

Rooms are reminiscent of a Four Points by Sheraton airport location. Dated, very dark, worn carpets and tiny bathrooms. Poor lighting.

There are so many better choices in Montreal. I won't be going back.

OneWorldTraveller Sep 6, 2011 5:29 pm

Just finished one night stay here. Overall, it was quite good stay. As many threads, I agree room was very very crappy.. But, staffs were super kind to me, no problem for late check-out despite sold out on that day. And, regency club was quite decent.. Comparing other similar chain hotel like Sheraton, club lounge quality was superior...

But, obviously room needs some upgrade..

For parking, we used self-parking in the garage of the building. This is not operated by Hyatt. So, paying should be done directly to garage. No in and out privilege. 10$ flat rate on weekend by 4am out. Valet was $30 with in and out privilege..

dlassen Nov 13, 2011 10:08 pm

Hyatt Regency Montreal, "a mixed bag"

Hi all,

This is a thorough and honest review of the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Montreal. I have stayed here a number of times within the last year or so and feel I would like to convey a realistic and unbiased take on what it has been like to stay here. I will do this in bullet form citing 0 - 5 stars (5 highest) with regards to the various aspects of life here at the hotel (in fact I am here on-site as I write this review). I will then follow-up with some details on the reasons for my ratings. Please bear in mind that my review is based on multiple (at least 3) stays at this property. In the interest of full disclosure, I enjoy a courtesy card membership with the Hyatt, and am generally extremely happy with all of the benefits this entails. I generally frequent Hyatts within the US with the occassional stay in Toronto, Montreal and beyond, so my comments may express some bias relative to stays in the US as I primarily use Hyatts in the US.

Ratings
=======
Front desk: 4
Regency club: 1
Suite upgrades: 3
General physical state of hotel: 1
Restaurant: 2 (have only been here for breakfast)
Bar: 3
Concierge: 3
Gym and pool: 5

Front desk
==========
Generally very helpful and professional - we must have been lucky not to have encountered peak periods with long lines at checkin time (which has been reported by others).

Regency club
============
Kind of hard to grade as there were a couple of very friendly staff who alleviated some of the many downsides. So staff is generally great in terms of interaction, however the club itself is dismal compared to most other RC's at Hyatts I have stayed at. Midday snacks are very minimum. During happy hour, the only alcoholic bevs available were a bottle of house red and a bottle of house white, both of which generally were pretty empty. Had to request a new bottles on multiple occassions. Also, liquor is offered but is not actually present in the beverage area. Must be requested and is apparently "hidden" at a remote location. RC staff must leave the RC area followed by a several minute wait. Not possible to leave the RC and go to your room with a glass of wine as this is "not allowed" for whatever reason.

Suite Upgrades
==============
I don't generally throw a fit if I dont get upgraded understanding that properties may be fully booked from time to time. However, this time, my wife travelled with me and as luck had it a suite was not available upon arrival (the last 4-5 hotel stays I had received unbelieveable upgrades, however I was alone and sat in the corner of the spacious and luxurious suites wishing my wife were with me to enjoy :-) ). In any case, I initially checked into 1112 which was a very basic king room and decided to approach the front office staff to discuss the possibility of being upgraded to a suite later during our 8 night stay. The on-site manager Bruno was summonsed and gave a very favorable impression. He explained they were fully booked but said he would see what he could do. Later that day he called me and informed me they would be able to move us into a suite Sunday evening (we arrived Friday) and we agreed. He offered us additional amenties for the inconvenience which we accepted and said we appreciated. Bruno was extremely helpful and friendly and definitely made the whole stay worthwhile!

General physical state of hotel
===============================
The hotel is somewhat dated and in need of a major facelift - definitely below average Hyatt standard. Some of the suites are very limited in space and have a strange layout (as seen during prior stays). The suite we were moved to had 2 adjoining rooms, one with sitting room furniture and a flatscreen, the other a standard king all of which was great for our purposes.

Great central location - 10 mins walk to Old Montreal and close to many areas of interest and commerce. However, the immediate surroundings seem subject to perennial reonvation (not the hotel itself but the surroundings) although this did not pose us any real major issues.

Restaurant
==========
As mentioned, have only used the restaurant (next to the RC) for breakfast. Mediocre at best. Scrambled eggs dry and not fresh. Sausages (usually my favorite) dont taste fresh. This was our experience consistently during our multiple stays. Our waiters were very reserved, however this might be a local cultural thing.

Bar
===
Interesting to say the least. We arrived Friday evening and went straight to the bar. At the most 10 customers including us at the bar. At least 4 staff behind the bar. Not a hello or even an acknowledgement of our presence for the longest time. Finally got someones attention. A young female bartender took our order (Stolys on the rocks for me and a cosmo for my wife). She mixed the cosmo and then stuck a straw in it, put her finger on the end and tasted the drink (which she continued to do for all subsequent orders). Initially I though it might be a great quality control, however if she did that for the next hundred drinks, she would probably get smashed, so I question her motives for tasting all these drinks!! Also she was in a good mood (maybe because of the straw!!) and offered my a double Stoly's for a dollar extra. I accepted in disbelief (given the somewhat restrictive liquor serving policies I have seen in Canada as compared to the US). But here is the kicker: when ordering the same drink the following evening, I asked if I could get the same "special deal" from a young male waiter, and he laughed at me and said I must have smoked something!!! In other words he implied that such as special simply didnt exist!! - interesting to stay the least!. In any case, I feel the bar staff is somewhat unprofessional at least compared to US standards.

Concierge
=========
Our initial impression was somewhat dismal. Upon arrival, an aloof demeanor and not even an acknowledgement of our presence. However, when we moved to our suite on Sunday the somewhat elderly concierge (who in this case doubled as a bell boy) was very helpful in moving us and we tipped him accordingly.

Gym and pool
============
Very nice facilities, no complaint here.

In summary, staying at the Hyatt Regency in Montreal is a very mixed bag at best. I would stay here in the future, but probably mostly for the points accrued (and the perks involved in staying at the Hyatt).

I hope this is helpful!

peteropny Nov 14, 2011 7:36 am

Originally Posted by dlassen (Post 17444868)
I hope this is helpful!

dlassen welcome to Flyertalk and our Hyatt forum. Thank you very much for your thorough review. I've personally stayed at this property 2x this year and pretty much concur with your assessments (although I didn't use the bar / restaurant / pool).

longwaybackhome Nov 27, 2011 8:29 pm

I just read the last few pages of this thread looking for reviews, as I don't think I want to stay at a Marriott when I go to Montreal in February. The repeated negative reviews made me stop cold. Then I remembered that I stayed at this hotel in November 2002 when it was a Wyndham and I wasn't impressed then either!

I guess I have to go look at other hotels now.

global happy traveller Jan 9, 2012 8:26 pm

I have a business trip in Feb............. Makes me wonder if I want to stay here.....

Wish me luck, booked 3 nights there!

global happy traveller Jan 23, 2012 3:14 pm

Stayed at Hyatt Regency Montreal for one night (due to a change if my travel schedule - I had to cancel the next 3 nights)

Used my Diamond suite upgrade, which essentially is two rooms joined together (1 room for sleeping and another with a 3 piece sofa/chair set). Rooms and hallway were a little aged though (like the 1980s).....But the restaurant and entrance @ mezzanine level was quite trendy. Windows faced Place de Arts (a trendy looking Art Gallery Plaza).

There were no toothpaste given and the toiletries is the ginger stuff still.......Due to my late check in, Amenity was not offered and the bonus was automatically given.

My room was allowed to be extended until 4pm.

Regency club lounge, good continental breakfast - salmon, pastries, boiled eggs, yoghurt, chopped fruits where the melon tasted weird. Nescafe Espresso machine with steamed milk, Tazo tea bags

Tea time were dried fruits, almond, walnut and cookies (chocolate chip/oatmeal raisin). RC agent told me at 3pm what they were going to offer during the evening period (a selection of meats, cheese, salmon etc....) but unfortunately I would be on the train then.

Very friendly staff, lots of smiles and kind words exchanged. Only down side was the "Weak cable signal on the TV........I thought it was to do with the external TV system, but it also happened to YogaAway"

Overall a nice stay..... definitely would consider again

BTW Rue St Catherine sewer line replacement has been completed so its easier to walk to the shopping district now!

nologic Apr 26, 2012 4:27 pm

Parking?

Planning on staying here Friday 6pm to Sunday 4pm. No in and out anticipated as will walk or take taxis.

What are my cheapest parking options?

crystak May 1, 2012 2:05 pm

Don't know about parking because I took a cab from the airport but I just wanted to say that this is a solid hotel in my book. I don't agree with the others who have criticised it so much.

I stayed here for one night a few days ago. I checked in late, around 11pm and it must have been the quickest check-in ever for which I'm very grateful since I was very tired.. They only asked for my surname, credit card, handed me the keys and 2 bottles of water since the RC was closed at that time, all done in about 30 seconds.

The room was not small, very comfortable bed (great pillows!), iron + ironing board in the wardrobe. They do still have portico white ginger products but I've gotten used to them now and quite like them!

Breakfast in the loung was reasonable - boiled eggs, good collection of french pastries, fresh fruit salad, cereals, etc.. very similar to other small RC clubs e.g. ORD.

Internet was fast, but then I always think that when travelling to North America since I'm used to the ridiculous speeds we get in the UK. e.g. speed on VIA trains is about the same as we get in the hospital

I had to check out at 9am because I had a meeting which would last until 6pm but all staff was friendly and helpful, especially the porter who then showed me the way to the train station.

I think I've noticed the problem with the cable TV as well. I only turned it on for 10 minutes or so but it kept breaking up.

Overall, I was very satisfied but I guess my stay was not very demanding. I would definitely stay here again next time I'm in town!

nologic May 1, 2012 4:24 pm

I was very impressed with this hotel. Very good Diamond recognition/treatment. Upon request at check-in, we were upgraded to a two room suite on a high floor with a good view. Rooms have been nicely refurbished with flat screen TVs, etc. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The Regency Club is much superior to US Regency Clubs (both in decor and F&B). The French/contemporary restaurant in the lobby is very good and not your typical hotel restaurant. Also, hotel guests get a 10% discount at the restaurant. The bar is also very good and makes terrific drinks.

Self-parking is also a good deal: $10/day as long as you don't want in and out privileges.

The hotel is attached to a mall if you need any necessities or just want to grab something easy from the food court. It's located on the East side of town, about a kilometer from Old Montreal.

My only disappointment was no after hours room service.

weatherboy80 May 16, 2012 4:33 pm

Rooms Remodeled?

Wow, I'm surprised at all the negative reviews from this thread :confused:

Just curious for anyone that has stayed at this property recently (May 2012), whether or not the rooms have been renovated? I ask because I am booked to stay here for 6 nights in just over a week, but noticed I can get a room for just about the same price at the Hilton Garden Inn (built in 08 so much newer) with free internet. I'm a fairly new Hyatt member so points are not critical here. Thanks in advance!

banzani May 23, 2012 4:33 pm

I think the answer is not so easy. While they claim the rooms have been remodeled, I find the rooms don't really give you that feeling. They are not worn, either, but the carpet, the shower curtain, the hallways, are below Hyatt standard.

Also the attitude of the staff in the restaurant is far from perfect. They come across like a group of unionized flight attendants with 45 years of service. I just staid here this week, and they opened 10 minutes late (6:40 instead of 6:30) without apology. If your rate includes full breakfast (which isn't great btw) for two, but you are only one person and want a cappucino instead of regular coffee then you will be charged extra for the cappucino.

As much as I like Hyatt all over the world, this property just doesn't cut it for me.

ThreeA4Me Nov 14, 2012 6:22 pm

I'm approaching a two night stay Christmas week. As a diamond, hoping to get an upgrade from the queen doubles I'm currently booked in -- don't want to blow a suite upgrade though -- hoping the hotel is decent enough to enjoy for my family as we explore Montreal for about 40 hours.

GB Nov 14, 2012 6:42 pm

Keep your expectations low. This hotel has very dated rooms and very irregular service. There are much better options in Montreal.

ThreeA4Me Nov 15, 2012 9:10 am

Originally Posted by GB (Post 19685068)
Keep your expectations low. This hotel has very dated rooms and very irregular service. There are much better options in Montreal.

GB,

What would you suggest in Montreal? As a diamond, I get the club lounge and breakfast for a family of four -- and the rate is $110 for an upgraded room. Can that be beat?