FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Hyatt Regency Montreal REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (leaving 12/18/18 - Doubletree) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/135294-hyatt-regency-montreal-review-master-thread-leaving-12-18-18-doubletree.html)

NJUPINTHEAIR Oct 13, 2004 4:55 pm

Thanks, I could not have said it better myself.

Originally Posted by jkc22

I just returned from a 4 night stay (2 rooms) at the Hyatt Montreal for a convention. I used my corporate discount and Priceline. Since the first two nights are paid Hyatt rate, I got rooms on the 10th floor, which are renovated a la Grand Hyatt NYC. However, while the rooms are renovated, the bathrooms are not…. and the rooms don’t have a fridge/mini bar, nor safe (yet….I guess)....

What I like the most about the hotel is the location….it’s right in the middle of all the action (OK, if you have business to do in the central business district, it MAY be a little off), but for convention (at the Palais de Congres) it is a 5 minute walk via the underground passageway, and to Vieux Montreal it is another 10 minutes. Place des Arts and Chinatown are right across the street. Clubs (Soda, Metropolis, and Medley) are all but a very short walk. For weekend parties or conventions, this hotel beats the Fairmont RE (too far from all the action) and the I-C (in the middle of convention center)!

The area (towards East on Ste. Catherine) is said by some to be “seedy,” but if that could even be called as seedy, then 65% of Dallas, 60% of Houston, 55% of Los Angeles, 50% of San Francisco, and 50% of NYC would fall into that category....

All in all, this hotel has A LOT of potential, and I must certainly send kudos for the acquisitions at Hyatt for choosing this property. Like others have said, this property will be a winner (with a RC to be opened, renovated rooms and suites, and staff eager to please). I believe overall one can expect above average service at this hotel than in average North America Hyatts.

Thanks, I could not have said it better myself.

Jul 28, 04, 2:08 am

NJUPINTHEAIR

Notwithstanding what others have said, the property is fine, it is going thru teething pains, that's all.

The pool opened on 7/3/04 while I was there. The additional room furniture was arriving the following week, and at least some floors should be in place by August.

The rennovations are going in two phases -- rooms are first -- a modern contemporary look, similar to the Grand Hyatt NYC, I am told, followed by the corridors, the bathrooms and the RC. I think by March 2005, the second part should be completed.

The showroom is room # 318, if I remember correctly. They will show it to you and it will wow, you, I believe, as it did me.

The hotel is absolutely perfect for sightseeing, much better than the Hilton, Marriott Chateau Champlain, or the Fairmont Elizabeth, as it is smack in the middle of the city, not near the train/bus station as the others noted are.

Do not listen to the naysayers -- this property is a winner, and will be even more so when the room rennovations are complete.

It is a phenomenal steal on PLN, but I think your odds of having a completely rennovated room increase with status or a Hyatt booked rated.

Force Oct 14, 2004 2:45 pm

Just came back from a two-night stay at the Hyatt Montreal. It was booked through priceline. I was give a renovated room on the 11th floor, however, with an ugly view. Was told that there was no upgrade available at check-in. Did receive my Diamond amenities and breakfast coupons (buffet). At both check-in and check-out, the staff mentioned priceline, which is quite rare. Felt that was given a cold shoulder due to the priceline nature of the stay. Not being able to speak French didn't help. I have been treated much better on priceline stays at other Hyatt properties. The location is great. Will hesitate to go back on priceline reservation. Otherwise this can be a great place to stay in Montreal.

djjaguar64 Jan 12, 2005 7:14 pm

OK nothing spectacular

Stayed at the Hyatt Montreal Dec 25-Dec 27. Nothing special. Hotel undergoing renovations. Staff decent. They charged me the wrong rate on check out and I had to point out the mistake. I am still waiting for my credit card statement to see if they charged me twice. :cool:

Snoopyo Jan 22, 2005 4:42 pm

There is a Sweet Deal promo at the hotel where the rate is C$159 for the first night and 50% off for the 2nd night (i.e. C$239 for 2 nights) and it included a US$20 basket of fruit and passion items.. Seems like a decent deal for 2 nights in Montreal.

Did not stay there but checked out the hotel since I might be on a project in Montreal. The rooms are renovated but the bathroom not. Also the non-smoking room smelled heavily of lingering smoke.. No RC yet.

I would give it a try on my next visit to Montreal.

yyzgigi May 28, 2005 5:22 am

Stayed last weekend and found a big change in the hotel since staying there last fall. There is a new health club next to the pool that has nice new equipment with PV on the cardio machines and a decent selection of strength machines. Only drawback was no headphones available for the PV audio.

Received a renovated room, but on a different floor than last time as there seem to be much more. However, there are still some floors that are not complete and a bit of construction on some floors. However, it wasn't noticeable until I went exploring.

The amenity was very nice, although not available until after 5:00pm (no 24 hour room service here). The chocolate truffles were a big improvement from the two Baby Belles and a packet of crackers that I received on my first stay right after the switch in April 2004. The breakfast buffet was also very nice, with access to everything hot and cold.

All of the re-branding seems to have been done, with permanent Hyatt signs on everything. The elevators are nicer and a little faster. The common lobby area is still transforming, mostly done, but with a lot of open space, presumably for something. The bar was temporarily closed, but is set to reopen soon.

The restaurant has been completely redone with new furniture and a more modern look. It is also smaller. Going into the restaurant you can see what is sure to be the new RC. Location is a little strange as it is has a long glass wall that makes it quite visible to all guests going to the restaurant, but has all the trappings of an RC, TV's, bookcase, snack area, card access, etc. According to the front desk, the RC is set to open on June 4th.

It's been fun watching the transformation. Look forward to going back again when everything is complete.

Snoopyo Jun 24, 2005 9:37 am

Just stayed at the Hyatt Montreal this week and have a very nice albit short stay. Amenity in addition to the usual wine and other stuff have a half bottle of port as a different choice so I took the port and mixed nuts.

Saw it a couple of times without actually staying here over the last years and half and while it was coming along, bathroom and a few other things had be opt for other accomodation. they have finished renovating the rooms, a nice public area, library and bar area with free wireless and the restaurant has reopened and so has the bar. Rooms are fully renovated (with possibly the exception of the bathtub with curve shower curtain rods, decent mixtures in bathrooms and a modern look bedroom and very nice work chair. No minibar in fridge but a small empty fridge and a IGA in the complex.

The RC is scheduled to open on July 1st and it is next to the restaurant. Since the restaurant is closed in the evening, you only have to content with being observed over breakfast. Breakfast buffet was VERY nice, not the nicest I have ever had since it lacked smoked salmon for that distinction but a good hot and cold selection plus an omlette station :)

Would definitely stay here again but have noticed the price going up by 30-50$+ from 3-6 months ago.

Beanstalk Jul 10, 2005 5:30 pm

Stayed there this past week during the Jazz Festival and found it to be the perfect location. Rooms facing the Place des Arts have bird eyes view of the whole festival unfortunately the windows do not open to take in the sound as well. Noise may be an issue even on the high floor (we were on the 11th) during this time

Rooms were renovated with grand beds and nice new light fixture. Bathroom was on the small side and a bit dark. I don't think there is a designated RC floor and the RC lounge, located on the first floor was not yet open as of this weekend. Full breakfast was offered in the cafe for diamonds. Valet parking is available for 20 dollars a day. Parking service was prompt and friendly.

The Hotel is a short walk to Old Port and is connected to a large shopping complex as well as the Metro underground. A food court is located in the complex an elevator ride away offering a wide selection for a quick bite.

Overall a great place to stay during the Jazz Festival. Services throughout was attentive and courteous. ^

Snoopyo Jul 30, 2005 11:48 pm

Been told by Nicolas, the Dining room manager that the RC is due to open Aug 1. They were due to open July 1st orginally but that got derailed slightly from the strike. The strike was settled on July 15 so Aug 1st should be a go.

Tried to negotiate a small corporate rate but the quote came in only a little less than Hyatt.com and even a few dollars more than my client's corporate rate at Sheraton.

Mary

TakeThat Aug 2, 2005 9:36 pm

Update ...

Stayed this past weekend at the HR Montreal. I must agree: Great location, lots of potential. But it's sad to see a huge terrace unused (how much would I have loved to sit out there for an early dinner!) and the RC still not opened. I was told: Aug 16.

The hotel is not up to speed on all things Gold Passport: Daily Newspaper? "We don't do that". Isn't that a GP standard benefit?
The amenity half bottle of wine was good, but only a half bottle. Well, I'm greedy.

Asked for a late checkout: "We can do 1 pm with no charge. Ok, you're a Diamond, then it's 2 pm". I didn't get the feeling that they are flexible at all. It's 2 pm for diamond. Period. The front desk agent didn't seem to be too happy having to bother with my request, either.

GP Account credit was quick. 24 hrs after checkout it was there, but:
G1 bonus not in (requested in reservation, at check-in, at check-out: "Yes, we have your bonus in the computer".) Nights show as "not qualified", room rate was not credited (just a normal hyatt.com rate, so it should be there).

Boy, they have yet a few lessons to learn. Why does that have to take as long as renovating the building?

Well, next time, I hope, all will be good.

TT

Snoopyo Aug 5, 2005 5:46 pm

If you had seen what it looked like when it was the Wyndham, there was a fair bit of renovation and it did need it.

I also had problem posting and had to call GP CS to fix it.

BTW, the staff is a bit mixed and I have met some managers that were excellent, Nicolas, Katalina, etc. but some staff were so so. The hospitality union strikes in June July caused a lot of upheavals...

Snoopyo Apr 21, 2007 5:14 pm

Found this old thread and realized that I have not posted anything new after the RC opened.

I stayed here quite a bit fall of 2005 and again early 2007. This is a great property, especially when I have my low season corporate rate.

As Diamond, I get access to the RC with both continental breakfast in the lounge as well as access to the full breakfast buffet with hot food and omlette station. They do a very good job in the evening with a 8 day rotating schedule with different country / theme and typically 2 hot dishes, one with meat, fish, or something of main course quality and a hot side dish. Also salads or other cold appetizers, cheese tray and good desserts. Honour bar but wine is C$4 and mixed drink is C$5. The lounge is headed by Diana who is great and currently Francois and Zoe completes the team.

This is a great location for Jazz festival :D I already have my room booked at the reduced rate of 8K versus the 12K per night I paid last year.

Delta Hog Feb 5, 2009 9:42 am

Hyatt Regency Montreal

I did a search and the master thread I found on Montreal has had only 1 post in 5 years....so seeking updated information on this property. I'm ex-diamond but just regular now so won't have amenity or club access.

Family of 4, 2 kids 6 & 8, going for a week in March, no French spoken. What's there to do? Parking situation? Transport situation? Restaurants? Niceness of the property? Etc etc etc, thanks for any input.

ABG Feb 5, 2009 10:18 am

Connected to the Subway system so pretty easy to get around without a car so you may consider not taking it at all. Shopping centre is also part of the complex so you can visit the food court and a bunch of family style restaurants (Baton Rouge and St-Hubert come to mind).

check out http://www.montrealinfo.com/?language=en for ideas on what to do while here. You will get by fine not speaking french

Onewhoknows Feb 5, 2009 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Delta Hog (Post 11207278)
I did a search and the master thread I found on Montreal has had only 1 post in 5 years....so seeking updated information on this property. I'm ex-diamond but just regular now so won't have amenity or club access.

Family of 4, 2 kids 6 & 8, going for a week in March, no French spoken. What's there to do? Parking situation? Transport situation? Restaurants? Niceness of the property? Etc etc etc, thanks for any input.

The Hyatt is just in the middle of town. you can walk alomost everywhere.
Parking garage under the hotel.
Pretty nice regency club ( in 2007) , nice food, a lot of Italien and Spanish food at that time. Hotel rooms are ok, not more, our room was pretty small, NY-type of size, old-fashioned TV, a lot of restaurants in walking distance.... but in montreal you def. need no car!
breakfest was pretty nice, too.

There yet? Feb 5, 2009 12:19 pm

Just to chime in, I stayed a few times in 2008. You'll definitely be fine everywhere in Montreal not speaking French. I personally find it no problem to get around downtown adn the more central parts of the city on foot or by subway, and driving can be a pain. However, given the ages of your kids (and what sightseeing you're planning) you might want a car, unless they're good "walkers", plus it will likely still be pretty cold and snowy!
The Hyatt rooms are "ok" - it's an older building so kind of dark and the rooms are quite small, but they have been renovated and are comfortable enough. Staff are friendly, in my experience. I personally love that the hotel sits atop the small mall, in particular because there's a grocery store (and an SAQ, for wine/beer/etc) (also in grocery stores in Quebec, though) and food court, which might be great with kids. I don't know if the pool has reopened after last years fire, but it was quite nice before - full of natural light, unlike the rest of the hotel. Workout room is small, but well equipped.
If you do end up using the Regency Club, the food there is quite extensive and delicious - very impressive compared to others I've been too. For breakfast, you can take a tray and go to the regular restaurant (adjacent), and then 'retreat' back to the Club lounge...:)

Have fun in Montreal!