Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Lifetime Diamond - MERGED THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Lifetime Diamond - MERGED THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2016, 11:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Pickles
If the new program lowers their running costs and reduces accumulated liabilities, then the stock goes up. Probably a good time to buy, actually. The stock market (and Hyatt, apparently) doesn't really care about a bunch of self-entitled road warriors and their freebies at the expense of the company. The stock market wants to see high utilizations, low running costs, and pricing power. The frequent traveler programs only bring in high utilizations at the expense of higher costs and lower pricing power.
If you follow that logic to its conclusion, airlines and hotels should immediately cancel all loyalty programs to maximize shareholder value.

In fact, the direct link between loyalty programs and stock price that you suggest simply does not exist. The relationship is substantially more complex.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 1:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
If you follow that logic to its conclusion, airlines and hotels should immediately cancel all loyalty programs to maximize shareholder value.

In fact, the direct link between loyalty programs and stock price that you suggest simply does not exist. The relationship is substantially more complex.
You could take the logic even further. Hotels could reduce their costs yet more by shutting off water, turning off electricity, getting rid of their employees and closing their website.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 1:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JackE
You could take the logic even further. Hotels could reduce their costs yet more by shutting off water, turning off electricity, getting rid of their employees and closing their website.
Let's hope the geniuses who came up with this logo don't read your post:

Old Oct 31, 2016, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes. I'm sure all else equal the hotels and airlines would rather not have the loyalty program in place. In that world, the chains "win" at the expense of the traveler.

It's a prisoner's dilemma. If all the airlines and hotels colluded to kill their loyalty programs, "shareholder value" would increase. But the incremental gain by any one player is sufficient incentive to run a loyalty program at the detriment of others. But then all the others have to follow suit, basically eliminating whatever advantage the program may have had.

You can clearly see it by revealed preference. As the different hotel chains "walk back" their programs, Hyatt itself sees an opening to reduce the costs of running the program, as it doesn't have to "offer" as much as their competitor's programs are now less attractive. Given the choice, Hyatt would gladly walk it all the way back to nothing if it could get away with it.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE
Originally Posted by Markie
It'll be a hard push for me, if I was closer I would be mattress running to get there! I shall wait and see what they announce this week.
Please let us know when you hear more about the lifetime status details for the World of Hyatt!
Old Oct 31, 2016, 4:52 pm

It'll be a hard push for me, if I was closer I would be mattress running to get there! I shall wait and see what they announce this week.
I did that with Lifetime Starwood, right before the merge finalized, moving about 15 nights from Hyatt to SPG. Although I didn't know if Marriott would even honor LT Starwood -- and still don't -- I figured it was one less thing to worry about.

At the time, I hated cutting into my Lifetime Hyatt points. Now I feel like a genius.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:44 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by JackE
I did that with Lifetime Starwood, right before the merge finalized, moving about 15 nights from Hyatt to SPG. Although I didn't know if Marriott would even honor LT Starwood -- and still don't -- I figured it was one less thing to worry about.

At the time, I hated cutting into my Lifetime Hyatt points. Now I feel like a genius.
I asked Jeff Z about the Lifetime Programme, but he says nothing will be announced until next year.

4. You plan to announce Globalist for Life scheme this week?

We will announce the new Lifetime program March 1st with the launch of World of Hyatt.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:28 pm

I asked Jeff Z about the Lifetime Programme, but he says nothing will be announced until next year.

4. You plan to announce Globalist for Life scheme this week?

We will announce the new Lifetime program March 1st with the launch of World of Hyatt.
Thank you. I'm not sure why both Marriott and Hyatt are so reticent about explaining their plans for SPG and Hyatt Lifetime. The only thing I can think of is they are both waiting for the other to tip their hand.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 9:59 am

Location: Rarely in one place long. Vancouver, WA when that happens.
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, AA LifePlat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Dmd, gave up on Hilton
Odd. Moments ago my Account said I needed two more stays for "lifetime Diamond Status" which surprised me. As I understand that status not to be based on stays. I went back twice to look, then rechecked what qualifies one. By the time I came back to get a screenshot as proof, the correct two more stays for, merely, "Diamond Status" had replaced that. Odd Sunday ripple in the system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.