Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Albuquerque Downtown REVIEW - MASTER THREAD Leaving Hyatt 4/1/22

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Albuquerque Downtown REVIEW - MASTER THREAD Leaving Hyatt 4/1/22

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2020, 2:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Just received a cancellation email for a stay booked for March of next year.

Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency Albuquerque for your upcoming stay. As you are likely aware, the COVID-19 situation continues to evolve around the world. We have been closely monitoring updates and recommendations from various health organizations including the World Health Organization (WHO), U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and local authorities.

Guided by our purpose of care for our guests, colleagues and customers, we have made the difficult decision to temporarily suspend normal hotel operations at Hyatt Regency Albuquerque until March 31, 2021. During this period, the hotel will not accept any reservations for rooms, the restaurant, bar or other services, and confirmed events and reservations will be cancelled.

Unfortunately, we will not be able to honor your upcoming reservation; your reservation will be cancelled without penalty and you will receive an email notification of the cancellation. If your reservation required pre-payment, you will receive a full refund following completion of banking refund procedures.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 12:30 pm

Now saying reopening September 1-odds that it actually opens then? Apparently the city had also put a tax lien on the property...

ETA: the property doesn't seem to be bookable at the moment for me

Last edited by steveman518; Aug 16, 2021 at 12:36 pm
Old Aug 16, 2021, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by steveman518
ETA: the property doesn't seem to be bookable at the moment for me
I see bookable availability starting September 1.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 7:50 am

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
This hotel can definitely can be a value for using points. For next year's Albuquerque Balloon Festival, I just booked a hospitality suite (1200sq) for 8k per night for 4 nights.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BillMorrow
This hotel can definitely can be a value for using points. For next year's Albuquerque Balloon Festival, I just booked a hospitality suite (1200sq) for 8k per night for 4 nights.
Junior may be a better option - hospitality while huge is on lower floor without view and rather dark. I was just there for fiesta.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 7:17 am

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the info.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
Junior may be a better option - hospitality while huge is on lower floor without view and rather dark. I was just there for fiesta.
Any information on daily breakfast either included in rate or Globalist Breakfast?
Old Nov 26, 2021, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Matt4200
Any information on daily breakfast either included in rate or Globalist Breakfast?
during fiesta as they were shortstaffed and restaurant still closed they allowed it as room service
Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by BillMorrow
+1. This hotel is currently pricing rooms at ~$350+/night during the Balloon Fiesta but it is a Category 1 hotel so can be had for a steal when it comes to points.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 11:22 pm

Any recent visits/reports? I've heard not so great things about the property but the points rates are pretty amazing. Looks like a lot of the food options are still closed.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
Any recent visits/reports? I've heard not so great things about the property but the points rates are pretty amazing. Looks like a lot of the food options are still closed.
Most of Albuquerque is still closed with the pandemic, this hotel was closed for a long time and being that it’s a business hotel they are not very busy at all.

Just stayed here 3 weeks ago -

Gym is open and looks good, I believe the pool is open, Globalist Breakfast is in room dining and comped, parking is comped on Award Stays.

Overall I’d rate it an 9/10 for the price (Category 1)

We had TSU’s to burn and used one to guarantee a Suite for our 5 night stay.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 8:21 am

Most of Albuquerque is still closed with the pandemic, this hotel was closed for a long time and being that it’s a business hotel they are not very busy at all.

Gym is open and looks good, I believe the pool is open, Globalist Breakfast is in room dining and comped, parking is comped on Award Stays.

When I went in December, the pool was still closed. Though the restaurants at the hotel were closed, in room dining was available.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 9:48 am

If price weren't a factor, what would you rate it? At 5k points per night, it could be a motel 6 that earns Hyatt credit and I'm probably booking it
Old Jan 30, 2022, 10:35 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Recently completed a stay here. Bottom line is that 2 nights for 5k each is hard to beat, but some minor quirks, plus possible upgrade shenanigans.

Free self-parking on Glob award stay in the underground self-parking lot (entrance on Copper between 3rd and 4th, which is on the opposite side of the building from the valet dropoff/main entrance on Tijeras). Supposedly unlimited in-and-out 24/7, and at check-in I was given a slip of paper showing my room number and dates and told to show it to the attendant on the way out. However it seemed like the booth was only attended during working hours; I didn't take the car out at any point where this would have mattered, but wonder how it would be handled. (There is a sign on the way in to the parking lot to see the front desk, maybe they give you a specially-coded exit ticket).

Also, take note of where the marked spaces are -- the garage was relatively empty when I arrived but when I took the car out the next morning there were other cars parked cross-wise, which limited the available space to back out which made for some tight maneuvering (this issue seems limited to the sides of the garage; the rows that go across the middle only have spaces that face each other and the aisle is wide)

Restaurants still closed; room service breakfast instead (was told up to $40 credit for Glob). The omelet was pretty good; seemed like fresh squeezed OJ too (or incredibly good from-concentrate)

Ample plugs and USB outlets around the room

No in-room safe

Even with the knob turned all the way, the water came out only lukewarm at first and took probably 2-3 minutes to eventually reach an acceptable temperature for showering (on both days). Maybe a long way up to the 20th floor?

[factual stuff ends here; first-world-problems upgrade shena rant below]

Unfortunately, the check-in/upgrade situation left kind of a sour taste in my mouth. Prior to arriving the app said I'd been upgraded to a view room. It was still showing a junior suite available, so I asked at check-in if a Globalist suite upgrade was available.

Front desk: yes, we've already upgraded you in advance!
Me: thanks, I did see the view room in the app but I was wondering specifically about a suite.
FD: (types a bit) it looks like you are already in "the only suite" [those were her exact words]
Me: fantastic, thanks!

Of course, I go upstairs and it is not a suite, junior or otherwise, just an (admittedly nice) view room. Now, I am traveling solo, so lack of a suite upgrade is not a huge deal, although there was a plan to hang out with friends at some point and the extra space might've been nice, plus, I just wanted to clear up what the confusion might be. So I went back downstairs, meanwhile double checking that the app stills showed the junior suite for sale.

Me: so, the room is not a suite, just a normal room. And the app does still show a junior suite available for booking.
FD: hmm, let me try this another way [types for a bit] sorry I am not seeing that in the system.
Me: ok, if it's not letting you do it, then never mind.

Went back up to the room, but the whole thing still felt a bit weird, and ok this is going into DYKWIA mode, but it's a published benefit, right? Called the concierge line to see if they could shed any light on the matter. First available concierge (mine was busy) confirmed they saw both the junior suite, as well as a GM suite available (although I wouldn't expect that to be in the upgrade pool) and offered to put me on hold while they contact the property to see if they could clarify the situation. OK, sure. They come back after a while and say they spoke with the manager and that the GM suite is out of service, and there is already another Globalist in the junior suite.

I find this a bit hard to believe, esp. given that in my first interaction the FDC first tried to breezily tell me I'd already been upgraded, then flat out misinformed me about already being in a suite (and she completely glossed over this inconsistency in our 2nd interaction, so it didn't seem like she was suprised when I told her it wasn't a suite).

The most benign explanation seems to be that there is a disconnect between the hotel's inventory system and the Hyatt booking engine. Which, I didn't feel like blowing 16k points just to see what would happen (wonder if I could still have modified my existing reservation, I might be willing to invest an additional 6k points in this). But this seems like it would be a pretty severe defect.

Less benign, well... a Glob friend who lives near Santa Fe and has stayed at this HR a bunch says they have never been upgraded above a view room either.

So yes, it was only 5k/night, WSBS, I could have spent the extra 3k/night up front if it was actually important to me, but IMO the optics are bad.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
Recently completed a stay here. Bottom line is that 2 nights for 5k each is hard to beat, but some minor quirks, plus possible upgrade shenanigans.

Free self-parking on Glob award stay in the underground self-parking lot (entrance on Copper between 3rd and 4th, which is on the opposite side of the building from the valet dropoff/main entrance on Tijeras). Supposedly unlimited in-and-out 24/7, and at check-in I was given a slip of paper showing my room number and dates and told to show it to the attendant on the way out. However it seemed like the booth was only attended during working hours; I didn't take the car out at any point where this would have mattered, but wonder how it would be handled. (There is a sign on the way in to the parking lot to see the front desk, maybe they give you a specially-coded exit ticket).

Also, take note of where the marked spaces are -- the garage was relatively empty when I arrived but when I took the car out the next morning there were other cars parked cross-wise, which limited the available space to back out which made for some tight maneuvering (this issue seems limited to the sides of the garage; the rows that go across the middle only have spaces that face each other and the aisle is wide)

Restaurants still closed; room service breakfast instead (was told up to $40 credit for Glob). The omelet was pretty good; seemed like fresh squeezed OJ too (or incredibly good from-concentrate)

Ample plugs and USB outlets around the room

No in-room safe

Even with the knob turned all the way, the water came out only lukewarm at first and took probably 2-3 minutes to eventually reach an acceptable temperature for showering (on both days). Maybe a long way up to the 20th floor?

[factual stuff ends here; first-world-problems upgrade shena rant below]

Unfortunately, the check-in/upgrade situation left kind of a sour taste in my mouth. Prior to arriving the app said I'd been upgraded to a view room. It was still showing a junior suite available, so I asked at check-in if a Globalist suite upgrade was available.

Front desk: yes, we've already upgraded you in advance!
Me: thanks, I did see the view room in the app but I was wondering specifically about a suite.
FD: (types a bit) it looks like you are already in "the only suite" [those were her exact words]
Me: fantastic, thanks!

Of course, I go upstairs and it is not a suite, junior or otherwise, just an (admittedly nice) view room. Now, I am traveling solo, so lack of a suite upgrade is not a huge deal, although there was a plan to hang out with friends at some point and the extra space might've been nice, plus, I just wanted to clear up what the confusion might be. So I went back downstairs, meanwhile double checking that the app stills showed the junior suite for sale.

Me: so, the room is not a suite, just a normal room. And the app does still show a junior suite available for booking.
FD: hmm, let me try this another way [types for a bit] sorry I am not seeing that in the system.
Me: ok, if it's not letting you do it, then never mind.

Went back up to the room, but the whole thing still felt a bit weird, and ok this is going into DYKWIA mode, but it's a published benefit, right? Called the concierge line to see if they could shed any light on the matter. First available concierge (mine was busy) confirmed they saw both the junior suite, as well as a GM suite available (although I wouldn't expect that to be in the upgrade pool) and offered to put me on hold while they contact the property to see if they could clarify the situation. OK, sure. They come back after a while and say they spoke with the manager and that the GM suite is out of service, and there is already another Globalist in the junior suite.

I find this a bit hard to believe, esp. given that in my first interaction the FDC first tried to breezily tell me I'd already been upgraded, then flat out misinformed me about already being in a suite (and she completely glossed over this inconsistency in our 2nd interaction, so it didn't seem like she was suprised when I told her it wasn't a suite).

The most benign explanation seems to be that there is a disconnect between the hotel's inventory system and the Hyatt booking engine. Which, I didn't feel like blowing 16k points just to see what would happen (wonder if I could still have modified my existing reservation, I might be willing to invest an additional 6k points in this). But this seems like it would be a pretty severe defect.

Less benign, well... a Glob friend who lives near Santa Fe and has stayed at this HR a bunch says they have never been upgraded above a view room either.

So yes, it was only 5k/night, WSBS, I could have spent the extra 3k/night up front if it was actually important to me, but IMO the optics are bad.
I agree with your experience -

Parking is technically free if you leave after 9pm since no one man’s the booth, but since you’re a Glob it’s free anyways.

As for upgrades yes they do only provide the “view rooms” for Globalists complimentary, if you stay very frequently then they’ll give you the Junior Suite, but that’s pretty rare. Personally I just burn a TSU for the confirmed Suite Upgrade when I stay as I stay with the wife and kids so the extra space is necessary. But staying solo the view room would be fine.

For 5k points this is an amazing value property especially with Breakfast included which I found the quality very good (like Category 3+ expectations good).

The fitness center is pretty nice as well.

My only issue was the elevator having some issues during our stay (not recognizing key card or it being stalled on a certain floor). Other than that amazing for 5k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.