Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Arlington REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric Arlington REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold Elite, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Best Western Diamond Select
Staying here now. First time in a "Pure" room (corner ending in "00"). Supposedly "renovated," but besides the new light fixtures, larger TV and new headboard with outlets and ports, it's the same furniture.

Really not pleasant at all. Very tiny room with scaled-down furnishings (no dresser, just two tiny drawers for clothing, no armchair and occasional table, etc.). Bathroom is small enough to be claustrophobic, and I can't imagine how a man could even fit in the shower stall. Not that there's enough hot water for a shower anyway. Plus the toilet is so badly positioned. Right next to the door and juts into the middle of the room, wedging you between the toilet and sink when you're standing at the sink. So when you turn to leave the room, the side of your knee inevitably whacks into the toilet seat. Just got here yesterday and I already have a big, painful bruise from it.

The fridge isn't cold, the water isn't hot, and it's basically a tiny dorm room... which makes the new 55" TV feel like you're in the front row at the movies. It's also right across from the ice machine, which is noisier than usual because the cleaning staff also congregate there. They're yelling back and forth, their walkie-talkies are blaring, and the only way to drown it all out is with the air purifier. So you can't hear the TV anyway unless you blast it. No thanks.

I stay here a few times a year and will continue to do so, but I really can't recommend this particular line. I didn't want to go through the hassle of moving rooms for a 2-night stay, so I'll just stick it out. But I still want to warn others of what to expect. The corner rooms in this hotel are not all the same. For instance, at the other end of the hall, the room ending in 26 is normal. Room ending in 25 across from it is so tiny it can only barely fit one double bed and the fridge is in the nightstand. Room ending in 00 at this end of the hall is one of these mini rooms.

Last edited by Freckles68; Nov 21, 2016 at 4:44 am
Old Dec 22, 2016, 7:21 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Hotel has been rebranded to a Centric. Suggest changing the thread's name

http://www.hotelbusiness.com/Brands/...ic-Hotel/55912

https://arlington.centric.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Freckles68
The corner rooms in this hotel are not all the same.
Currently here for a night, came into DC a day early and it was cheap. Room is **06, sounds significantly better than your corner **00 but nothing special. I've stayed here a handful of times before, I like to shoot pool at the Continental around the corner (great beer selection), so it's convenient for that but it's not a "nice" property.

I did request a food and beverage welcome amenity instead of points for the first time ever -- amenity is both a full 750ml bottle of wine and a $15 appetizer, so it seemed like a fair trade to avoid getting back out in the cold. The wine is cheap but drinkable and came in an ice bucket; the cheese and charcuterie was okay -- the "charcuterie" was below average but the cheese selection itself was pretty good (I'd pay $10-15 at a restaurant) and it came with a few decent accompaniments (apricot chutney, cornichons, some honey).

As for the renovation, I don't notice much. Room feels the same as before, the robe is different (it's like a college hoodie in robe form?), the guest-services book isn't rebranded.

Last edited by platbrownguy; Jan 6, 2017 at 7:28 pm
Old Sep 5, 2017, 2:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Anything to do within walking distance?

I go to DC often for work and like to explore new areas/neighborhoods. This trip I'm choosing between the HP West End and the Centric Arlington. I've been near the HP West End before. Is there anything to eat/drink/do near the Centric Arlington? Thanks!
Old Sep 5, 2017, 4:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
There's a newish District Taco across the intersection from the front entrance, next to the Target. The BBQ place I used to go to further uphill has shut down.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by tom911
There's a newish District Taco across the intersection from the front entrance, next to the Target. The BBQ place I used to go to further uphill has shut down.
Tom911 is right as far as he goes, but I would note that there are many places nearby, and Georgetown is a reasonable walk away, opening up another hundred or so options (that's a guess).

In Arlington - remember I'm living on per diem of $6/day - I enjoyed Tom Yum District, Roti Modern Mediterranean. I heard good things about Capriotti's Sandwiches and SpinFire Pizza; alas, I'm vegetarian, so had to take a "miss" on these. There's the ubiquitous craft beer "Alehouse" a block away. And there is a string of about a half dozen "nicer" places on the uphill stretch of Wilson within five or six blocks.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Is there anything to eat/drink/do near the Centric Arlington? Thanks!
It's a nice 15 or so minute walk over the Key Bridge to Georgetown, which can be nice to walk around - whether down on the waterfront or on M street.

As others have mentioned you can walk 10-15 (uphill) minutes to Court House, which has several bars and restaurants, or keep going another 5-10 minutes to Clarendon which has many additional bars and restaurants. If you make it all the way to Clarendon, I especially like Lyon Hall and Liberty Tavern for nicer dining.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 11/26 - 11/27

Location: The hotel is located a block away from the Rosslyn Metro Station on Wilson Blvd. which makes it a very easy ride to anywhere in DC including IAD thanks to the 5A bus to Dulles or the Metro. There area around the hotel is perfectly safe and mainly used for commercial purposes but there's nicely a Target and a Safeway a block from the hotel as well as a number of restaurants and bars. It's also very easy to get an Uber from here even on off times like Sunday evening

Hotel: The hotel is an older building, it was formerly a Hyatt and it has the concrete structure favored by Hyatts built a few decades ago. Thankfully it's been renovated recently. The lobby area is fairly small but does feature a coffee shop area that has a nice sitting area. The second floor has a restaurant called Cityhouse and there's a gym on the third floor.

Check In: I was able to check in and get into my room at 2 PM. The agent did thank me for being an Explorist but beyond that there are no Explorist benefits which seems to be the same as anywhere else save the 2 PM check out I was offered.

Room: I was upgraded from a Queen to a King room which was very nice as you can see. The bed was large and comfortable, wifi worked well and the bathroom was nice and modern. There was also a huge TV, Kuerig and a refrigerator. Sound proofing is not the best: I could hear the takeoffs from DCA as well as people in the hallway. Also, the outlets near the bed are actually in the headboard which is a really awkward design and causes them to fall out.

Other: The hotel is really good about bag storage and even let the people checking out in front of me store theirs for 2 days past check out.

My rate was $79 which was incredible. I was happy with my stay overall.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I was there on this past weekend for one night 11/24-25. I made the stay to get the 5 brands in for a free night. I paid the same rate CMK10 had, and I was upgraded to a king on the 15th floor as a globalist. They gave me a printed coupon for breakfast which included tip (was not stated on coupon but wait staff in hotel confirmed it). I had a car, but I decided to leave it in a Crystal City Shops parking garage since parking is free there on weekends while it costs $25 at this hotel. I took the Metro in from the Crystal City station. It was 4 stops to the Rosslyn Metro station and cost $2.05.

From the floor layout, it seemed a lot of the suite rooms were located next to one elevator and across from the other two in the main area for the elevators. I found that a bit odd. The gym on the third floor is where one of those suites would be located on other floors. This made the gym rather small, and there are a lot less strength training equipment due to the smaller gym space.

Breakfast reminded me of the buffet at Hyatt Fairfax Fair Lakes except they had a few more pastries and no bread rolls. There is no smoked salmon, and I heard a waiter tell another guest that the full buffet is $19. This is almost as much as the buffet at the Hyatt Dulles ($20) which has smoked salmon, chicken, and extra hot items.

They had a lot of newspapers next to the front desk. I asked them to deliver a WSJ to my room, but they didn’t do it. I ended up taking it and a Washington Post before checking out.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: Delta DM | Hyatt Globalist
I stayed here in mid November for 1 night as an Explorist and was proactively offered a suite upgrade. Given Explorist benefits explicitly exclude suites I was a bit shocked when the front desk informed me of this.

For the very short stay I was pleasantly surprised by this location as my last stay at a Centric (Long Beach) was far from good.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: HH: Diamond, WofH: Globalist, UA: 1k, Longterm member only post when I have something new to ask/say
How do you get these awesome rates guys? I'm chasing status, live close, can't see anything lower than $130 for next 3 weeks (AAA). I'm doing the new Hyatt House for 4,000 P&C for a few nights, but if I could get this Centric for 79 I'd be very happy.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by yaromac
How do you get these awesome rates guys? I'm chasing status, live close, can't see anything lower than $130 for next 3 weeks (AAA). I'm doing the new Hyatt House for 4,000 P&C for a few nights, but if I could get this Centric for 79 I'd be very happy.
I booked it a few weeks ago for the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend, I doubt they were too busy so I think I just got lucky.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by yaromac
The holiday rate was cheapest around Thanksgiving, but it is available around Christmas for $89 for a one king room. There are no one queen rooms, and the two queen rooms are $99. I looked for December 23. Around Christmas to New Year should have low rates at many Hyatt properties in the DC metro area. If you have access to a car, the Hyatt House in Sterling is as low as $71 on some nights with AAA. Hyatt Dulles and Hyatt Fairfax Fair Lakes are around $79-81 for AAA, and Hyatt Tyson’s Corner is $99. Those are rates right before Christmas. You can get to the one in Tyson’s Corner by Metro, and I would not pay for parking at that hotel if you don’t need the car.

Actually, I found the $79 rate for Hyatt Centric Arlington on December 15 for a one queen room. You can save some points if you are willing to hotel hop outside the 495 beltway on weekends and/or do some stays right before or after Christmas.
CMK10 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:35 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Hyatt Centric Arlington: Comfortable and impressive suite for 1 night stay

Hyatt Centric Arlington

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Hyatt Centric Arlington

1325 Wilson Blvd Arlington, VA 22209

Hyatt Centric Arlington: Comfortable and impressive suite for 1 night stay (21 Photos)

Hyatt Centric Arlington

I used to stay frequently at the Hyatt Arlington for business and with my business tour groups. However, when the nearby Le Meridien Arlington (just 2 blocks away) opened 4 years ago, converted from a Kimpton, I shifted my business to that newer property (and because I was more a fan of SPG). 

This April, I had the opportunity to return to this renovated and rebranded Hyatt Centric Arlington--because its group rate was substantially better than that of my preferred Le Meridien Arlington. 

I only spent 1 night here, but I was upgraded to a suite--most likely because I had booked a total of 18 rooms for one of my tour groups. 

I was quite impressed with the refurbished suite--for the most part. It was largely comfortable, modern, and had excellent working air conditioning. My room service dinner and breakfast also were quite good. But the bathroom was narrow and oddly laid out, and had only a single vanity, and the bedroom closet couldn't even open fully due to the bed nightstand. Those were curious, and would have been more problematic had I stayed longer or been traveling with my husband.

I certainly would consider putting my groups here again, depending on how the rates compare with the Le Meridien Arlington. While I still prefer the Le Meridien Arlington, this hotel is now back to being a more worthy option.

Check In

As we were a group, check in should have been quite easy. I left my business card on my room for incidentals and otherwise quickly had all the keys for all the rooms in our 18 room block. I learned then that I had been upgraded to a suite.

On checking back in with the front desk about some other room issues, the FD clerks seemed always too busy, answering the phones or taking questions from passers by. Very annoying, actually.

Room

The suite was very fresh, modern, and pretty spacious. 

20180406_180443.jpg

20180406_180453.jpg

To the left on entry was a closet:

20180406_180503.jpg

The living room was spacious and brighter than the photos might suggest:

20180406_180526.jpg

20180406_180553.jpg

I quite liked the colorful accents. 

I was pleased to see complimentary water despite my limited Explorist status:

20180406_180600.jpg

I was also pleased to see the coffee maker, even if a basic brand type:

20180406_180606.jpg

A small hallway led to the masted bedroom on the left and bathroom on the right. The bathroom was narrow and oddly laid out, actually:

20180406_180624.jpg

20180406_180751.jpg

With such a huge countertop, it is disappointing that the suite lacked double vanities. 

20180406_180638.jpg

20180406_180806.jpg

20180406_180706.jpg

The toilet/shower/tub area was VERY narrow and restricted in space, anf was pretty uncomfortable to be in even as the lone occupant in the suite. It would have been very uncomfortable for 2 persons.

The bedroom was more comfortable but had its own oddities:

1_20180406_180830.jpg

20180406_180849.jpg

20180406_180904.jpg

The spacious closet on the other side of the bed had a door that couldn't open fully due to the side nightstand. Very poor design. 

1_20180406_180920.jpg

The view:

20180407_081042.jpg

The air conditioning in both the living room and bedroom worked very well--but the bedroom worked better.

20180406_181020.jpg

Overall, it was a pretty comfortable stay for a single night. But if I were staying more than 1 night or with a companion, the closet and bathroom space issues would have been annoying.

Service

I had few occasions to test the hotel service. But both times at the front desk, I would say the service is a bit haphazard and not as good as it should have been. 

At check in, the FD clerk was trying to answer multilpe phone calls while also checking in me and another guest. It wasn't smooth.

When I called for room service in the evening, it rang and rang for almost 30 rings. I had to call three times before I got an answer.

When I called the front desk for another matter, it alsio rang and rang. I had to call back before I got an answer.

When I had an emergency and had to take a student to a local hospital, the FD quickly got me the hospital info.

When we returned from the hospital at 2 am, a different FD clerk was oddly inefficient in getting my student another room key. He took questions from random guests passing by, and answered the phone while supposedly handing us. I wasn't impressed.

I recall front desk service being an issue for me during my previous history at this hotel. That seems to have continued despite the rebranding!

Dining

Food and beverge insofar as room service were quite good.

Dinner room service:

20180406_195616.jpg

20180406_195631.jpg

Breakfast room service:

20180407_082515.jpg

Both room service orders were delivered promptly, though it did take 3 tries to get someone to answer the phone for the dinner order!

The location is very convenient to the Roslyn metro station, just around the block from the hotel. It was a 5 min walk to the Le Meridien Arlington. It is a 20 min walk into Georgetown across the Key Bridge.

Overall

Overall, I liked the refurbished design and fresh decor of the hotel and suite. The suite layout was generally OK but a bit oddly laid out for a longer stay perhaps--or for more than 1 person.

If the rate is rightk I would gladly return to the Hyatt Centric Arlington. But I probably prefer the Le Meridien Arlington for its better and more spacious suites, its better laid out rooms, and far more spacious lobby, bar, and restaurant spaces. 

Hyatt Centric Arlington: Comfortable and impressive suite for 1 night stay

Would you like to write a review on the Hyatt Centric Arlington?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Aug 28, 2020, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Can anyone comment on the Globalist treatment here and the breakfast offering during Covid? Is it being honored here in the restaurant or in-room? Also, is it easy to take the metro from here to DCA? I see it is on the blue line, but not sure how often or how easy it is to walk if just carry-on only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.