Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 11:42 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Hawaiipool
I got really excited looking at the pictures. Your comments opened my eyes onto reality.
Thanks!
Don't get discouraged, you might have a better experience ... keep in mind, the grounds are great, the pools, especially the Kids' Slyder pool are so much fun, and the location just across the street from the ocean cannot be beat
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:58 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Just concluded our annual 4th of July stay here today - 3 nights X 20K Hyatt points per = 60K Points. Here are some positive points pending full review:

- They went above and beyond, upgrading us to an oceanfront suite on the north side allowing us to observe HB pier 4th of July firework from the suite balcony. This is even though they were fully booked for such a busy holiday weekend.
- Late checkout of 4 PM was honored even though they needed the suite for cleaning they moved us to a double room. This gave the kids extra time at the slyder pool and then come back to shower and check out.
- The new WoH rules of no charge for resort or parking fees were honored without asking.
- Requested a microwave oven and it was delivered after a disappointing rejection by an amateurish rancorous FD clerk (don't waste your precious vacation time with the fat woman). Tip of the hat to the GM (Peter Rice).

As usual, beautiful grounds, awesome location, and good lounge. Breakfast hours were extended until 10:30 AM for this holiday weekend (July 1-5).

Old Oct 29, 2017, 11:56 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Returned from a great 2 night stay at this hotel. Club breakfast was good, wide selection. Did not use the club during the evening cocktail/appetizer time, so cannot comment.

Had booked 3 rooms, 2 paid, 1 Guest of Honor. Valet Parking fee was not charged to the GoH reservation. Had some issues in making use of the 4pm late check out. My room was extended without questioning, the 2nd (paid) room until 1:30 (which is ok, we only needed 1 after noon), however the GoH reservation should have been extended till 4pm as well in my view (same benefits should be applied, irrespective if I am at the hotel as well or not. Was extended till 1:30 pm as well..

Rooms are going to be renovated starting November until Spring 2018
Attached Images  
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:17 am

Anybody stay here recently? I was here a few years ago - just curious how bad is it during the renovations. Are they doing it all at once or is there an area of the hotel in decent condition?

Planning a semi-last minute getaway to California with my wife in a week or two and deciding whether I should stop here for a night or go somewhere else.

Thanks,
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:51 am

Bump. Anyone?

Thanks
Old Mar 25, 2018, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by ClarkGriswold
Anybody stay here recently? I was here a few years ago - just curious how bad is it during the renovations. Are they doing it all at once or is there an area of the hotel in decent condition?

Planning a semi-last minute getaway to California with my wife in a week or two and deciding whether I should stop here for a night or go somewhere else.

Thanks,
Same question here. Looking at going in June.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by brodes
Same question here. Looking at going in June.
I can answer that one now. We went last month and it was fine.

They look to be doing it floor by floor / wing by wing, and the 3rd & 4th floors were completely done I think. The only signs I saw of construction were some rooms that clearly were in progress over by the spa (but not loud). I wouldn't be surprised if they're done by June (give them a ring - I ended up calling before my trip and they were very upfront about where they were in the process).

We stayed in an updated room. Clearly more modern hyatt colors (i.e., grey) than the old style. Personally I thought meh, my wife likes the new look though.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
I had a one-night stay here two Fridays ago on the way from the Andaz San Diego to Los Angeles. This was in the middle of spring vacation time and the agent who checked us in noted they had a lot of Globalists visiting, but all the same we were upgraded to a proper one bedroom suite. The room reminded me a lot of the “park suite” at the PH Aviara — two full bathrooms, with a separate living room and bedroom. Both rooms had sliding doors to a balcony that spanned both rooms.

My wife and I were traveling with our two year old and really enjoyed the food hall at the “Pacific City” mall down the street. The Dudes brewery is there and has excellent beer with a wide selection, and we especially enjoyed the pizza from the Italian vendor. There is also a nice play area for children in the middle of the mall. The location of the hotel is very nice with a short walk to downtown Huntington Beach and of course the beach itself is across the street. My wife and I agreed we preferred this to PH Aviara which has nothing in walking distance.

We hit the road early the next day and did not check out breakfast but intend to return. We were on a free night certificate and the resort fee and parking were waived without mention.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 5:27 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
A great resort

Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach

Map| 3 Reviews | 100% Recommended

21500 Pacific Coast Hwy Huntington Beach, CA US 92648

A great resort (2 Photos)

I spent two nights at the HR Huntington Beach Resort as my wife had to be in town for business. Figured we might as well see what it's like at peak season. 

Summer is in full swing in Huntington Beach, so the airport and beach were very busy. On top of that, we visited for two weekend days. I booked two nights on a Privé rate, which guaranteed a room upgrade (cleared within 24h of booking), $100 F&B credit, welcome amenity and free breakfast. On top of that, I'm a Globalist. 

Check In

Checkin was fast and efficient, even with the 100% occupancy and insane weekend crowds. The WoH line had a friendly staffer working. We walked up at 11 AM, so they didn't have a room ready yet, but she gave us a pool key so we could grab a drink at the pool while they stored our bag. Checked for a potential upgrade past our upgraded room but the hotel was 100% occupied; the Hyatt app backed this up. 

Room

Room 4315 is a nice ocean-viewing room with a view of the pool. It's perfectly adequate; I'm guessing the non-'oversized' rooms have less of a separate living and bedroom area, but it's a basic, large hotel room. Nothing spectacular, nothing particularly bad either. We were very close to the (small!) Regency Club, and 4th floor rooms have the nicest views. As a tradeoff, some bottom floor rooms have a patio with fire pit, a nice touch. 

IMG_7958c.jpg

As I mentioned, upon early arrival the room wasn't ready: We were called at 12:04 (impressive!) that our room was ready, and they even ran someone up to deliver the welcome amenity, which was a half-bottle of wine with two glasses. The minibar is empty save for two bottles of (free) water. 

We were a bit concerned about noise from the pool but honestly, the soundproofing is so fantastic that you can't hear a thing. I'd be a bit more concerned for the rooms / suites next to the beach, as you'd be on top of the PCH which is a loud, busy street. 

Service

Service here was good. It has the usual slightly creepy forced friendliness of resort employees, but there were also several people that seemed like they really enjoyed their work. 

Room service was fast — very fast! — and friendly. Decent selection of items on the room service menu that come from the better restaurant on the grounds (Watertable) and a great booze selection, but a 10 PM cutoff time is a bit too bad. 

Housekeeping was so-so. They did turn the room around quickly, but left a lot of glasses and empty bottles and such around. A bit odd. 

Down at the beach, some beachy dudes help guests out by bringing out chairs, umbrellas and giving you beach-appropriate towels. They're super nice and during a power outage were even bringing people's heavier stuff up the stairs, all lit up with glowsticks and flashlights. A very professional, friendly operation. 

Dining

The resort has a few options for dining: the poolside bar and restaurant, a place called Pete's Sunset Grille, a pizza restaurant (that delivers in the resort) called Tower 15 and Watertable, the main restaurant near the lobby. 

We sampled a few things from the pool restaurant, the Sunset Grille and Watertable;

Pool Restaurant 

We sampled a few snacks and a Caesar salad and double burger at the pool restaurant (as well as some drinks :)) — they were absolutely fine. The burger was a nice smashed-style burger with well melted cheese and came with a nice wedge of pickle and watermelon and a bag of chips. The Caesar was fine.

Sunset Grille

Out of all the restaurants, perhaps the most mediocre; we had a poké and fish tacos, which were OK. If I'd have to pick a spot for lunch I'd probably stick to the poolside place. It's possible we just didn't order the right thing, but it didn't satisfy. 

Watertable

This one I was more excited about, and it didn't disappoint. We dined on fried squash blossoms, seared scallops, a NY Strip steak and some excellent Chateauneuf du Pape. A good restaurant by any standard, and a delight to have in the resort. Note that even on weekends, we found there's no need to reserve a table at Watertable... we called up to reserve a table and was told it wasn't necessary (they made the reservation anyway). Nice décor, fire pit outside, all around really quite nice. Plenty of options and well prepared food. 

Regency Club

On the 4th floor and near the elevators you can also 'dine' at the Regency Club. The spread is good; around 5 they put out an honor bar with liquor, wine (Canvas, heh) and beers and various snacks with a hot option. The food was decent (some kind of waffle fry with hot dog hot option, kind of strange) and the booze great. The Club never got busy, with the notable exception of breakfast...

Breakfast

I believe, but did not confirm, that Globalist entitles you to breakfast at the Club here and not more than that. My Privé rate, according to the front desk, also entitled me to Watertable breakfast, which is quite a bit nicer. While the spread for breakfast at the Regency Club was huge (we wandered in to print off some shipping labels), the Club turns into an absolute zoo. I feel for the staff; kids were having cereal throwing fights, food was being spilled everywhere, and it was just jam-packed with families fighting over the food. Total anarchy.

We were very grateful and pleased to eat breakfast at Watertable, which offers a nice buffet but also à la carte options from eggs benedict to açai bowls and avocado toast. They'll have anything you could possibly want. 

This location is fantastic. I'm one to skip out on a pool when you have a beach so close, and the walkway across the PCH makes going to the beach a breeze. You can have chairs and parasols set up, as I mentioned, but we just hung out at the beach on a towel and it was fantastic. 

We used our first night to rent 2 beach cruisers to pedal over to Newport Beach and get dinner there. It was a real adventure; the lady at Toes On The Nose warned us that it was 'crazy' out there, and indeed on a Saturday there's droves of people wandering, running, biking and otherwise flying through the beachside bike path. Fun in a crazy kind of way. 

IMG_4680 copy.jpg

That being said, on the way back we realized our cruisers had no lights on them. They did affix some reflectors, but combined with a beachside power outage, we were biking through the dark, in the smoke from hundreds of beach bonfires, with people drunkely wandering on the bike path. Fun times? 

With the shuttle to Huntington Beach proper and both the piers so close, it's a great location. The resort has almost everything you could need, but also makes it convenient and easy to get out and around even if you arrive without a car as we did. 

Overall

This is a great resort. It's not often that you find a resort that can cater to families with kids and regular couples / visitors alike, and make you feel well catered to even with full occupancy and a convention happening, but the HR Huntington Beach did. No real lapses in service, beautiful grounds and plenty of activities and access to wonderful bits of SoCal. 

High season prices are rather high; I'd probably visit again when it is slightly less busy as the beaches will be a bit less crowded and the value for money would be tremendous. But I wasn't displeased to spend the high summer rate at all; I'd say I got my money's worth. 

Globalist + Privé

Globalist recognition wasn't very apparent; my room key didn't work to open the Club doors at first — it took two round trips to the front desk to fix this. No upgrade was proactively offered and otherwise no acknowledgement of status was made. This is fine with me, but others might consider it lacking?

In terms of tangible Globalist benefits, they delivered: very early room availability when checking in early, resort fees waived, and a nice room offered. 

That being said, the Privé rate was the real value here. We ended up with a larger room, breakfast in the restaurant with all charges waived, including tip — except for our two mimosas, which I find utterly reasonable — $100 to spend and a welcome amenity. I'd always get a Privé rate for the breakfast alone. 

Two enthusiastic thumbs up! 

A great resort

Would you like to write a review on the Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach?

No, thank you.
Yes
bbbb, OPENROAD, 59Impala and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Great review - we stayed ourselves in July (booked ourselves on a Prive rate) and we loved the hotel/resort. The location can't be beat and we also were checked in by 12:30 PM and given a 2:00 PM late checkout.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
How far is this from Disney? Not sure if this is a commutable fit.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:11 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by navatwal
It's about 20 miles / 25 minutes. To me, the issue at this property is the ultra-high parking fee. Also, you'll be paying steep "resort fees" even on days when you're at a major resort in Anaheim.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by navatwal
If you're doing Disney, you won't be spending enough hours at this hotel to enjoy what you're paying for.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
I will be using points but no longer a Globalist therefore I will be charged parking and resort fees.

This property probably doesnt make sense for this stay,
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt
Just finished a quick all points stay at the HR Huntington Beach. My first stay on points. At current nightly rates, the 20K points per night worked out to +.02 cents per point. I also applied a club level certificate. It is a great oceanfront property that is well maintained and has solid customer service. My Explorist status was acknowledged and was given an upgrade. The guestrooms have been redone and are comfortable. The Regency club had a nice spread for breakfast and evening horsdoeuvrs. I would recommend as a nice getaway for anyone in SoCal.

Check-In/Upgrades:
Upon check-in, got thanked for my loyalty (explorist status) and was upgraded to a King and Queen premier room with ocean view. I was 600+ sq ft with a large bathroom and a nice view of the ocean. It had both a King and queen bed. Perfect for my family. Would work well for a family with one or two kids. The young lady working at the front desk correctly stated texplorists are upgraded to "the best available room." Resort fee $30+tax waived no questions asked. Self parking $30 is across the street in a city lot. Valet $39.

Room:
All the guest room have been recently renovated. Everything was in a light grey palette. The room had one King and one queen bed. The beds were comfortable and had a light at the base that turned on when motion was detected and helped you navigate the room in the dark. There was 65" LG TV that many cable channels and the ability for you to chromecast media from your phone/tablet. My wife watched some Netflix this way. They have put multiple outlets/charging ports in the room. I especially liked the larger bathroom that had a separate tub and shower and double sink vanity. The room also had a walk in closet. There was a nice view of the ocean and I enjoyed drinking a brew and just staring out at the waves. Only downside was the room position prevented a clear view of the sunset, but did see the sky turned from purple to orange. Really beautiful. I would ask for this room type again.

Regency Club:
All club staff were friendly and helpful. Really diligent about keeping the place tidy and restocking. Breakfast was a nice spread. Hot entree was an egg dish. There were cold cuts and lox. Assortment of breads and bagels. Hard boiled eggs. Yogurts. Soymilk and almond milk for those who don't like cow juice. Decent spread and although not like a fancy buffet but certainly way more choices than what I normally eat at breakfast. I don't think anyone would be disappointed by the offering.

Mid-day snack was just drink fruits and a jar of cookies.

The happy hour had a nice spread. Nice finger foods and crudite/grilled veggies. There was some really delicious spanikopita and shrimp ceviche. Also they had this rich, jalapeno mayo dip that made the grilled veggies taste awesome. There was an assortment of hard alcohol, canvas wine, and beer at the honor bar. I like both Stone beer and Ketel one, which the bar had. Needless to say, I had my share of drinks. On that note, the honor bar starts at 5pm and was available until the placed closed at 10pm. So if you are in the mood to imbibe there is ample time. We ate there for dinner one night at it was fine. Honestly, I don't eat three big meals a day. If I have a decent sized breakfast or lunch, than I'm not that hungry at dinner. If you have a similar appetite I am sure you can make do here for dinner. Especially if you been out all day playing and just want an easy and casual meal.

On a side note, I saw a lady just walk in an grab bottle of Canvas wine and then just walk out. Too funny.

If you can, please leave a gratuity for these hardworking and friendly folks. Was surprised to see people chowing down at breakfast and not leaving anything.

Dining:
Only did happy hour at Pete's Sunset grille. Appetizers, beer and margaritas. Friendly service. Nice casual place to eat.

There is a retail development called Pacific City a few blocks from the resort. Lots of choices for eating and shopping. Really fun place to hang out. I would recommend.

I am planning to come back in the summer. There is ample availability for points booking.

Have fun travelling and feel free to ask questions.

Thanks to all on this forum for all the great 411.
bbbb, River in Sight and gadberry like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.