Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Palacio Duhau - Park Hyatt Buenos Aires REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2016, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MSPeconomist
Some practical information

The hotel consists of two buildings, separated be a beautiful outdoor garden and an interior basement passageway called Paseo Des Artistes which serves as an art gallery for rotating exhibits by contemporary Latin American artists, plus some sculpture that seems to be permanent. Hotel guests can request a guided tour by one of the hotel's art ambassadors. Taxis serve both buildings, each of which has a small carriage entrance and valet parking garage.

Be aware that taxi fares have increased significantly in the last year. In September 2016, rates were about 40-50 for a ride to Centro, including the port area, and about 100 to restaurants in Palermo (which are generally lcated up the hill, far from the water). A remise from the domestic AEP airport costs about 250-300, although a taxi should be around 100-150 with no traffic.

The tower building on Posadas is modern and contains the Gioia (Italian) restaurant. It's almost all day dining, with a large breakfast buffet, lunch buffet, current Italian aperitif hours, and dinner. The hotel concierges sit in the basement of the tower building, at the entrance to the business center (free computers and printing). Ask for their printouts of what to do and suggested restaurant lists.

The historic palace building on Alvear contains a beautiful indoor pool in the basement, the florist, the Argentinian fine dining restaurant Duhau with its cheese cellar and wine room, open for lunch and dinner, the Piano Noble cafe/lobby bar, and the oak room bar, where the latter allows smoking as do the outdoor eating and drinking areas on terraces and in the garden.

The street parallel to Alvear and Posadas, one block up the hill from Alvear, contains shops, including a small ma and pa grocery store that closes for lunch and a larger supermarket with red signage called something like Dash. Both are self service, sell wine, and are open to at least 9 pm. There's also a fancy specialty wine store about a block from the palace building, next to the French
Club restaurant.

Breakfast is available until 11am in Gioia (big cold buffet, plus you can order hot items, I believe for extra charges except for Diamonds) or continental plus a hot menu of things to order at Piano Noble, IIRC also until 11am, including on their outdoor balcony tables. Coffee and drinks, including champagne, are served there with small snacks such as cookies or nuts and olives. Room service breakfast is available until noon, with instructions to place the order form on your doorknob by 4am. In the past, I was instructed to take Diamond breakfast either in Gioia or Piano Noble, but this time I was told Gioia only while others were given the choice.

Restaurants within a couple blocks include Club Frances or French Club, Fervor on Posadas for vaguely Spanish fish/seafood and steak, Sotta Voce on Libertador for Italian food, including fish, and the restaurant inside the new Brick Hotel on Posadas. Sadly the all branch of La Dorita casual steak house has closed.
Print Wikipost

Palacio Duhau - Park Hyatt Buenos Aires REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ComplexAnalysis
Does anyone know which types of suites offer connecting rooms?
I've currently booked a "Park Deluxe Suite" and ideally I would a) connect the suite with another regular room for my stay and b) still have the opportunity to get an upgraded suite at check-in. E.g. would it be better to ask for a connecting room option ahead of time or wait until check-in?
I would ask ahead of time because there are always a limited number of suites with connecting room options.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Also, this is a property that definitely does preassign rooms, even for above and beyond upgrades. Even outside of high season, I wouldn't expect them to have options available at check in.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Great - thank you both!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ComplexAnalysis
Does anyone know which types of suites offer connecting rooms?
I've currently booked a "Park Deluxe Suite" and ideally I would a) connect the suite with another regular room for my stay and b) still have the opportunity to get an upgraded suite at check-in. E.g. would it be better to ask for a connecting room option ahead of time or wait until check-in?
I would suggest asking in advance. I’ve been assigned many a 700+ square foot suite at this hotel, but I’ve never been assigned one with any room doors connecting to a separate hotel guest’s room/suite. And that suggests to me that there are very few of those.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:29 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WOH - Globalist, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Thinking about taking our 2 kids (under 12) to Argentina, and staying at the Park Hyatt while in Buenos Aires - however, the hotel shows no rooms that sleep 4. The description for the standard suite says "complimentary roll-away for children under 12" - has anyone stayed there with children and can offer some advice?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The standard suite at this property is really a large junior suite; it's one big room, so this might not be suitable for a family as you cannot close a door or go to bed at different times. I think they've been reclassified, but in the past, there were even standard suites in the palace side that were just nice rooms with fireplaces and large bathrooms so that they wouldn't even have been described as junior suites.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:44 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The standard suite at this property is really a large junior suite; it's one big room, so this might not be suitable for a family as you cannot close a door or go to bed at different times. I think they've been reclassified, but in the past, there were even standard suites in the palace side that were just nice rooms with fireplaces and large bathrooms so that they wouldn't even have been described as junior suites.
I did look at photos of the rooms, and the standard "suite" is just as you are describing. Being one room is not a problem, it's the max occupancy I'm worried about. I'd have to book for 2 adults and 1 kid, as nothing comes up when searching for 4 people. I know that European Hyatts can be very strict with occupancy rules - and I definitely don't want to be turned away after getting there...
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sch_flyer
I did look at photos of the rooms, and the standard "suite" is just as you are describing. Being one room is not a problem, it's the max occupancy I'm worried about. I'd have to book for 2 adults and 1 kid, as nothing comes up when searching for 4 people. I know that European Hyatts can be very strict with occupancy rules - and I definitely don't want to be turned away after getting there...
2+1 should not a problem, especially, when the third is a child. They won't turn you away.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:33 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Aventine
2+1 should not a problem, especially, when the third is a child. They won't turn you away.
It will be a 2+2, but can only book for 2+1 as the max occupancy for all rooms is no more than 3. The kids are small enough to be able to share one rollaway. Alternatively, I can book the IC Buenos Aires (or a boutique hotel) for under $150/night for our dates and not overthink it! Sometimes Hyatt makes it difficult to want to give them my business
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Currently here and the property is beautiful (and very good value with 3 nights on points + TSU). Got a nice "suite" (no separate room but the size is nice and I appreciate the good-sized desk) in the new building overlooking the courtyard -- top floor and very quiet.

Question though -- this was the first PH stay I've ever had where I haven't gotten so much as an unsigned welcome note in the room (that includes at least a dozen PHs). I don't typically care about such things, but the absence has been noticeable here especially how great housekeeping has been and the service generally. No note, no wine, no fruit (not even a red apple) -- is that normal here for a Globalist? I don't want to ask for anything that isn't normal, but my hunch was maybe when we arrived at 1pm and they got our room together by 1:45, they forgot the normal welcome note & fruit along the way?

Anyhow, thought I'd check here first and send an email only if the consensus is that I should have received something. Wife would enjoy having the fruit, but I can always go buy fruit if that's not normally offered here (and the minibar wine is totally drinkable and only 500 pesos).
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:33 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
It's just kind of an amusing property when it comes to the small (or large) details. It might've simply gotten overlooked. They'd always get everything right for me save for one detail. Great room service, but a missing part of a meal. Excellent suite upgrade, but forgot the welcome amenity. Though, one time they straight up didn't set up an entire 'romance' package -- it was sorted on the next stay. I wouldn't consider it a policy thing, more than likely it was just... overlooked.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by caliform
It's just kind of an amusing property when it comes to the small (or large) details. It might've simply gotten overlooked. They'd always get everything right for me save for one detail. Great room service, but a missing part of a meal. Excellent suite upgrade, but forgot the welcome amenity. Though, one time they straight up didn't set up an entire 'romance' package -- it was sorted on the next stay. I wouldn't consider it a policy thing, more than likely it was just... overlooked.
Yeah, amusing is definitely the right word for this place. Had a good stay overall and thought it was great value on points, but the going rate for a basic room when I stayed was over 500 USD per night and there's no way I would have paid that (and I'm happily paying something close to that now to stay at Arakur in Ushuaia, which I *highly* recommend).

I ended up not mentioning the welcome amenity thing. We had a weird thing at the bar where my wife ordered a drink and they brought her something different without telling her, because the menu was wrong (?). Anyhow I flagged down the host and asked if they could make it to spec, and evidently they didn't have the ingredients (some dessert-like cocktail, not really my thing but my wife likes them). So instead they comped the drink and said come back tomorrow and we'll make it the right way and you can each have another drink on us. Sure, okay. So we come back the next night and indeed we have 5 drinks expecting that they'll comp 2, but all 5 are on the bill. I sign it anyhow. But the third night we went to the bar again and ordered two drinks and I asked if they'd be comped because the host said so, and the bartender said (in Spanish, but I'll approximate in English) "Sure we can do that... but weren't you here yesterday?" and I said "Yes and we had 5 drinks but I paid for them" and the bartender said "No you didn't, because we didn't charge any of that to your room."

This was of course very strange because no one told me they'd comped anything the night before let alone all 5, so I said "oh well then let me pay for these at least" and I signed the bill... and indeed, at checkout all 5 drinks from our second night, along with the mis-made drink from the first night, had been removed. Which is totally silly if you ask me because I didn't ask for any of that.

Anyhow, other points:
  • Dinner at Gioia was good but not memorable; fine for the price
  • Breakfast each day was well above average, I always like having the option of using the buffet in addition to unlimited menu items, and the fresh smoothies and fruit really were good
  • Service in all the restaurants was refined. Staff consistently talked to me in Spanish and my wife in English, which is what we preferred (my Spanish is generally better than their English but vice versa with wife), and I think we had zero miscommunications.
  • Bar actually closes at 1 a.m. instead of 2 a.m. -- both the website and an announcement that they put under our door falsely said 2 a.m. which was disappointing when we came back to the hotel one evening at 12:45 intending to have a few drinks and had to rush instead. An email to the restaurant supervisor did not get a response
  • Housekeeping was mostly excellent, folding things up and rolling up cords
  • Hard product was so-so, we didn't find the bed to be as good as usual Park Hyatt quality. Bathroom amenities were house label (I liked the scent but wife didn't like it on her, it's kind of a manly scent I guess). Lighting system was finicky and we had to get engineering to fix it (wasn't just user error). The room itself was good for being on points with a TSU (1702, top floor facing the courtyard) and the property was *beautiful* but it would have been nice to have a real suite.
  • Location was awesome. But if I'm paying, I'll look into the Four Seasons next time, which is just down the street. We went to the spa there and had a great time. Decided not to use the PH spa after using their changing rooms upon arrival... it was crowded, hot/stuffy in the changing rooms, and the pool water was kind of filmy looking. The facilities and massages at the Four Seasons were fully five-star.
  • Uber was great for getting around everywhere and had no trouble picking up and dropping off on the Posadas entrance (just use Posadas 1350 as your address)
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Currently here and the property is beautiful (and very good value with 3 nights on points + TSU). Got a nice "suite" (no separate room but the size is nice and I appreciate the good-sized desk) in the new building overlooking the courtyard -- top floor and very quiet.

Question though -- this was the first PH stay I've ever had where I haven't gotten so much as an unsigned welcome note in the room (that includes at least a dozen PHs). I don't typically care about such things, but the absence has been noticeable here especially how great housekeeping has been and the service generally. No note, no wine, no fruit (not even a red apple) -- is that normal here for a Globalist? I don't want to ask for anything that isn't normal, but my hunch was maybe when we arrived at 1pm and they got our room together by 1:45, they forgot the normal welcome note & fruit along the way?

Anyhow, thought I'd check here first and send an email only if the consensus is that I should have received something. Wife would enjoy having the fruit, but I can always go buy fruit if that's not normally offered here (and the minibar wine is totally drinkable and only 500 pesos).
My impression is that this PH eliminated the Glob welcome gift amenity within the last year. Before that, everyone (elite) got the fruit bowl plus wine, although I was asked for my wine preference and as a returning Diamond/Glob, I got a really huge fruit bowl.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My impression is that this PH eliminated the Glob welcome gift amenity within the last year. Before that, everyone (elite) got the fruit bowl plus wine, although I was asked for my wine preference and as a returning Diamond/Glob, I got a really huge fruit bowl.

Interesting. I got an email asking me my "preferences" a few days before checking in. I mentioned fruit & either red wine or sparkling rose, along with cold AC (19c or lower). The response said "all your preferences have been noted"... but none were honored. Thankfully the room cooled reasonably quickly and the air blew directly over the bed.

My understanding was that the welcome amenity disappeared as a matter of rule with WoH, but properties may (and frequently do) still choose to do it... and in dozens of PH stays this was the first time I didn't get anything at all, not even a note. In many one-night PH DC stays I have received only a short note and a small box of chocolates (though on others I received wine & fruit). Everywhere else it's been a notable welcome amenity.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Just stayed here for a little staycation on 6/1 for a night. I am an Explorist member and was upgraded to the Park Suite. Caught this hotel for 20k WOH points before it went up to 25K. So to me very good value on points with the Park Suite going for $659. Really enjoyed the property. Check out my video review below:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.