Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Palacio Duhau - Park Hyatt Buenos Aires REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2016, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MSPeconomist
Some practical information

The hotel consists of two buildings, separated be a beautiful outdoor garden and an interior basement passageway called Paseo Des Artistes which serves as an art gallery for rotating exhibits by contemporary Latin American artists, plus some sculpture that seems to be permanent. Hotel guests can request a guided tour by one of the hotel's art ambassadors. Taxis serve both buildings, each of which has a small carriage entrance and valet parking garage.

Be aware that taxi fares have increased significantly in the last year. In September 2016, rates were about 40-50 for a ride to Centro, including the port area, and about 100 to restaurants in Palermo (which are generally lcated up the hill, far from the water). A remise from the domestic AEP airport costs about 250-300, although a taxi should be around 100-150 with no traffic.

The tower building on Posadas is modern and contains the Gioia (Italian) restaurant. It's almost all day dining, with a large breakfast buffet, lunch buffet, current Italian aperitif hours, and dinner. The hotel concierges sit in the basement of the tower building, at the entrance to the business center (free computers and printing). Ask for their printouts of what to do and suggested restaurant lists.

The historic palace building on Alvear contains a beautiful indoor pool in the basement, the florist, the Argentinian fine dining restaurant Duhau with its cheese cellar and wine room, open for lunch and dinner, the Piano Noble cafe/lobby bar, and the oak room bar, where the latter allows smoking as do the outdoor eating and drinking areas on terraces and in the garden.

The street parallel to Alvear and Posadas, one block up the hill from Alvear, contains shops, including a small ma and pa grocery store that closes for lunch and a larger supermarket with red signage called something like Dash. Both are self service, sell wine, and are open to at least 9 pm. There's also a fancy specialty wine store about a block from the palace building, next to the French
Club restaurant.

Breakfast is available until 11am in Gioia (big cold buffet, plus you can order hot items, I believe for extra charges except for Diamonds) or continental plus a hot menu of things to order at Piano Noble, IIRC also until 11am, including on their outdoor balcony tables. Coffee and drinks, including champagne, are served there with small snacks such as cookies or nuts and olives. Room service breakfast is available until noon, with instructions to place the order form on your doorknob by 4am. In the past, I was instructed to take Diamond breakfast either in Gioia or Piano Noble, but this time I was told Gioia only while others were given the choice.

Restaurants within a couple blocks include Club Frances or French Club, Fervor on Posadas for vaguely Spanish fish/seafood and steak, Sotta Voce on Libertador for Italian food, including fish, and the restaurant inside the new Brick Hotel on Posadas. Sadly the all branch of La Dorita casual steak house has closed.
Print Wikipost

Palacio Duhau - Park Hyatt Buenos Aires REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by scented

It’s the best hotel in the city! Those rates are deserved I would say.
Good to hear; looking forward to it. BTW, it turns out I do have one very expensive night in my stay. I know because I just rebooked it to a 3-night stay, and the rate came all the way down to $544/night, which is very reasonable. I saw that I can book a suite at $644/night for the same three nights; contemplating it.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Many of their suites are junior suites, although the room is large and has a nice large bathroom.

IME points and cash is often available as are upgrades (to junior suites) using points or TSUs.

Closest competitors in town would be Alvear Palace down the street a couple blocks (closer to the Evita cemetary) and some new top end boutique chains. There are also lots of four star boutique hotels in town.
acrophobia likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:24 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I loved the suites we got during our honeymoon and I agree it's a wonderful hotel, if not one of the best in Hyatt's constellation. You might be able to get a discounted upgrade if you ask, I had nothing but Platinum status and got suite upgrades both times here — a wonderful gesture.
acrophobia likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by caliform
I loved the suites we got during our honeymoon and I agree it's a wonderful hotel, if not one of the best in Hyatt's constellation. You might be able to get a discounted upgrade if you ask, I had nothing but Platinum status and got suite upgrades both times here — a wonderful gesture.
Thanks. I haven’t had Hyatt status of any kind in ages (switched to Stariott a while back), but there’s a good chance I’ll either rebook into a suite or ask about a paid upgrade. My wife and I will have our 3 y/o with us, so the extra space is welcomed.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Heading to BA for 3 nights next fall. Burned a bunch of IHG points for the IC BA but found that our corporate rate at the PH is $298/night which seems reasonable -- plus perhaps a points upgrade (because I have no real status beyond CC).

Worth it vs burning IHG points (which are from CC 100k and I very rarely stay at IHG hotels so seemed like a good opportunity to burn them).

First time in BA if that's relevant
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:57 am

If you don't mind paying, $300 is a very nice rate for the Palacio.

You could probably have the IC for half that, but it surely won't be as nice.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The IC and PH are barely comparable. In all aspects the PH is the better hotel in a much nicer area that you can walk around in.

Of course you could take that $300 per night and spend it on the absolute best BA has to offer, plus taxis, etc. and just use the IC as somewhere to sleep...
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:05 am

Another vote for the PH. $300 is a pretty good deal for that property, especially as you head into summer down there. The property is great. I much prefer the location too. The hardcore downtown area is just not pleasant. Traffic, urban jungle, dirty. The PH is still in more of an urban area but much nicer. BA is one of the few places where I consider boutique hotels because i love the neighborhood feel of Palermo. But if I am going to stay at a chain hotel, the PH is a phenomenal option.

Of course, $300 is $300, but to me worth the splurge.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Viajero Millero
If you don't mind paying, $300 is a very nice rate for the Palacio.

You could probably have the IC for half that, but it surely won't be as nice.
Originally Posted by craigthemif
The IC and PH are barely comparable. In all aspects the PH is the better hotel in a much nicer area that you can walk around in.

Of course you could take that $300 per night and spend it on the absolute best BA has to offer, plus taxis, etc. and just use the IC as somewhere to sleep...
Originally Posted by boolean64
Another vote for the PH. $300 is a pretty good deal for that property, especially as you head into summer down there. The property is great. I much prefer the location too. The hardcore downtown area is just not pleasant. Traffic, urban jungle, dirty. The PH is still in more of an urban area but much nicer. BA is one of the few places where I consider boutique hotels because i love the neighborhood feel of Palermo. But if I am going to stay at a chain hotel, the PH is a phenomenal option.

Of course, $300 is $300, but to me worth the splurge.
Okay great feedback. The only cause for concern I saw were a couple of reports of strong smoke smell in the rooms coming up from the cigar bar, I'm very sensitive to smoke (due to health considerations) so would just want to make sure to avoid that.

I did call up and found out that the premium suite upgrade is Park Executive Suite which doesn't necessarily seem worth it (if it was one of the top line suites I would think differently) but it does seem like it might be worth paying an extra $10/night to bump up to the King Bed Deluxe. It's also currently available on C&P which is another reasonable option (though unfortunately due to devaluation is 10k + $175 based on 50% of the non-corporate best rate of $350).

Definitely didn't expect IC to be in the same league just gauging whether free stay at IC vs. paying for PH made more sense (and maybe using IHG points in Santiago instead of paying for Ren Santiago)

Last edited by Duke787; Nov 30, 2018 at 11:26 am
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Duke787

Definitely didn't expect IC to be in the same league just gauging whether free stay at IC vs. paying for PH made more sense (and maybe using IHG points in Santiago instead of paying for Ren Santiago)
Points versus cash is a fairly personal judgment. I can't think of a Santiago hotel anywhere near the standards of PH Buenos Aires, so I would be inclined to spend the IHG points there... I did find it really easy to BRG the Renaissance though...
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:15 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Okay great feedback. The only cause for concern I saw were a couple of reports of strong smoke smell in the rooms coming up from the cigar bar, I'm very sensitive to smoke (due to health considerations) so would just want to make sure to avoid that.

I did call up and found out that the premium suite upgrade is Park Executive Suite which doesn't necessarily seem worth it (if it was one of the top line suites I would think differently) but it does seem like it might be worth paying an extra $10/night to bump up to the King Bed Deluxe. It's also currently available on C&P which is another reasonable option (though unfortunately due to devaluation is 10k + $175 based on 50% of the non-corporate best rate of $350).

The smoke issue is only if they assign you a room in the palace wing. I've stayed there three times, and have only ever gotten rooms in the new wing, so the cigar smell problem would be a non-issue.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

If you're sensitive to smoke, ask for a room in the new building. The smoking bar is on the palace side, where there are also tables on the balcony that permit smoking. IIRC both restaurant terraces permit smoking, but a high floor room in the new building should work well.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:00 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Park Hyatt Buenos Aires = Possibly the Best Hotel in the City

Palacio Duhau - Park Hyatt Buenos Aires

Map| 7 Reviews | 57% Recommended

Av. Alvear 1661 Buenos Aires, AR C1014AAD

Park Hyatt Buenos Aires = Possibly the Best Hotel in the City (17 Photos)

We recently had a 4-night stay at Park Hyatt Buenos Aires which was booked cash & points before Hyatt killed the usefulness of C&P a few weeks ago by changing the required cash portion of such bookings.  I am not familiar enough with Buenos Aires to judge about the relative value of PH BA compared to similar hotels when entry level rooms can go for $400 USD or more; at first glance this seems a bit steep for this city, but I had no hesitation booking C&P knowing I had reasonable chances of a Globalist suite upgrade.  

Room

We arrived around 1pm and were informed that we had been upgraded from the entry level room to a garden view room.  I was a bit surprised because I had seen suites available online and I asked if Globalist suite upgrades were available and I was told no, but that perhaps we could move to a suite the next day.  

I thought the room was in line with PH standards.  I am not sure the exact size but it’s relatively large for a non-suite.  Our room was in a corner therefore had large windows on two sides of the living room and a nice view of the garden.  The hardwood floors matched well with the wood panels on the bed side and the wood door giving access to the bathroom.  You can also have access to the bathroom via the long hallway which first goes in the closet and then in the bathroom.  The bathroom has separate partitions for the shower and the toilet & bidet, in addition to the tub near the sink.  There is a small window above the bathtub which provides some natural light to the bathroom which might have otherwise been a bit dark.  Overall if not being upgraded, this is a very fine room which ensures a comfortable stay.  

IMG_1441.jpegIMG_1442.jpegIMG_1443.jpeg

Later in the afternoon I was contacted by Guest Services and they informed me that someone in a suite had a late check-out (6pm), that we could move to that room perhaps around 7:30pm, and that it was the reason we were initially not offered a suite upgrade.  It was a different message than what I heard during check-in and I said we’d be happy to move to a different room a few hours later.  

To my surprise we were moved to a Park Deluxe Suite, which is not the lowest category suite.  This room has a separate living room along with a working desk off the entrance of the room so it is a proper suite, not a junior suite.  In order to reach the bedroom you have to walk into the large closet and from there you can access both the full bathroom and the bedroom. The bathroom has two large windows, one on the vanity side and one on the bathtub side which sits behind the vanity. There are two enclosures at the end of the bathroom, one for the toilet and one for the shower, which are similar to those in the first room we had.  The bedroom has two chairs plus a small table near the entrance and in the corner there are windows on part of two walls.  Finally, for convenience there is a small half bathroom in front of the main entrance.  As far as I am concerned, a suite in a luxury hotel is not complete without having that half bath.  I would estimate that the Park Deluxe suite is about twice the size of the first room we had and we were quite pleased with the extra space, considering that I did not even use a Globalist suite upgrade award because I had read before that the standard suite is more akin to a junior suite which led me to believe that PH BA was not the best hotel to use an upgrade; I wanted to save my upgrades for 2019.  

IMG_1445.jpegIMG_1446.jpegIMG_1447.jpegIMG_1448.jpegIMG_1450.jpegIMG_1451.jpeg

We had good sleep 3 of the 4 nights.  During one night, winds were quite strong and there was a whistling noise in the windows disturbing our sleep for a few hours. The issue is that several years ago I guess it was possible to open the windows looking at how they are set up. Now it is no longer possible to open them but they were designed to be opened, so with strong wind there are small gaps and windows are not fully hermetic.  This would generally not be an issue with a newer and more modern construction.  

Another consequence of this hotel being an older construction is that soundproofing is not at the level I would expect for a hotel in this price range.  We could hear other rooms flushing their toilet, we could hear muted noise of footsteps in the room above us, and some guests talking on our floor.  Nothing major but once again the more recent Park Hyatts generally better soundproofing.  

The other mild negative are the bathroom amenities. The shampoo, soap, etc. are not the standard Park Hyatt products and are rather something local which is far inferior. I can understand generic bathroom amenities for the cheaper Park Hyatts for example some in China, but given that PH BA generally costs over 400 USD (especially a deluxe suite would be over 600-700 USD) then more should be expected.  In addition, for a hotel of this caliber I expect mouthwash, razors, and/or toothbrushes to be available, but there were none in the room.  You could just call to have some delivered to the room which is only a minor inconvenience. 

Dining

Breakfast is free for Globalists, both the buffet and a la carte menu, with generous hours 6:30am to 11am.  I am not a frequent traveler to South America so I am not in the best position to judge how good breakfast was relative to local norms. I thought it was ok but not great especially if I compare to Asian hotels which is probably not a fair comparison. There was a decent selection of fruits and the menu was mostly North American with eggs, sausages, bacon, etc. The first morning they had a couple of Asian options, one was congee and the other was fried noodles with vegetables. However we found out that they had those dishes only because there was a Chinese group that day.  On subsequent mornings they did not have Asian dishes. Also when we went to the buffet to get a refill of the noodles around 10:45am we were surprised that they were gone already. We asked one staff and he said too late, the Chinese group is gone so they will not replenish the noodle dish. A few minutes later our server asked if we wanted something before 11am and since I was not sure if there had been a communication gap due to subpar English, I asked again about the noodles and they said no problem; they brought two more dishes freshly prepared from the kitchen 10 minutes later just for us which was even better than expected.  On the last morning we asked if we could have something a bit different than the egg choices on the menu and this was no problem.  In addition they also brought up an off the menu appetizer of avocadoes on toast along with salt and tomatoes, without us even asking.  It was delicious and a nice touch on their part.  

IMG_1452.jpegIMG_1453.jpegIMG_1454.jpegIMG_1455.jpegIMG_1456.jpeg

As mentioned we are not experts about BA, but we thought the location of the hotel is very good.  The neighborhood is upscale and there are several shops and restaurants within walking distance.   

Gym

The gym is a bit small for a hotel of this size but fortunately it was not crowded when we went there.  

IMG_1471.jpeg

Service

Service in the hotel is great.  Only two times we had a very minor issue such as the lack of upgrade at check-in or the removal of the noodle dish at breakfast, but they more than made up for it so it turned out great.  I should mention also that housekeeping was very thorough and was done exactly at the time we requested each day.  Late check-out 4pm was granted without any issue.  

Overall

Overall we were pleased with our stay and we can recommend this hotel.  I am not sure if 400 USD per night is good value for the money in this city and I am not aware of how PH compares with the nearby Sofitel for example, but if I return to BA I would be more confident about room upgrades at PH than at Accor properties so I would probably stick with PH again even if it is moderately more expensive than Sofitel.  

IMG_1486.jpegIMG_1487.jpeg

Park Hyatt Buenos Aires = Possibly the Best Hotel in the City

Would you like to write a review on the Palacio Duhau - Park Hyatt Buenos Aires?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I’m sensitive to smoke as well, but don’t recall any problems in suites in the mansion or new building. I always liked the mansion side best.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Does anyone know which types of suites offer connecting rooms?
I've currently booked a "Park Deluxe Suite" and ideally I would a) connect the suite with another regular room for my stay and b) still have the opportunity to get an upgraded suite at check-in. E.g. would it be better to ask for a connecting room option ahead of time or wait until check-in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.