Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Palacio Duhau - Park Hyatt Buenos Aires REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2016, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MSPeconomist
Some practical information

The hotel consists of two buildings, separated be a beautiful outdoor garden and an interior basement passageway called Paseo Des Artistes which serves as an art gallery for rotating exhibits by contemporary Latin American artists, plus some sculpture that seems to be permanent. Hotel guests can request a guided tour by one of the hotel's art ambassadors. Taxis serve both buildings, each of which has a small carriage entrance and valet parking garage.

Be aware that taxi fares have increased significantly in the last year. In September 2016, rates were about 40-50 for a ride to Centro, including the port area, and about 100 to restaurants in Palermo (which are generally lcated up the hill, far from the water). A remise from the domestic AEP airport costs about 250-300, although a taxi should be around 100-150 with no traffic.

The tower building on Posadas is modern and contains the Gioia (Italian) restaurant. It's almost all day dining, with a large breakfast buffet, lunch buffet, current Italian aperitif hours, and dinner. The hotel concierges sit in the basement of the tower building, at the entrance to the business center (free computers and printing). Ask for their printouts of what to do and suggested restaurant lists.

The historic palace building on Alvear contains a beautiful indoor pool in the basement, the florist, the Argentinian fine dining restaurant Duhau with its cheese cellar and wine room, open for lunch and dinner, the Piano Noble cafe/lobby bar, and the oak room bar, where the latter allows smoking as do the outdoor eating and drinking areas on terraces and in the garden.

The street parallel to Alvear and Posadas, one block up the hill from Alvear, contains shops, including a small ma and pa grocery store that closes for lunch and a larger supermarket with red signage called something like Dash. Both are self service, sell wine, and are open to at least 9 pm. There's also a fancy specialty wine store about a block from the palace building, next to the French
Club restaurant.

Breakfast is available until 11am in Gioia (big cold buffet, plus you can order hot items, I believe for extra charges except for Diamonds) or continental plus a hot menu of things to order at Piano Noble, IIRC also until 11am, including on their outdoor balcony tables. Coffee and drinks, including champagne, are served there with small snacks such as cookies or nuts and olives. Room service breakfast is available until noon, with instructions to place the order form on your doorknob by 4am. In the past, I was instructed to take Diamond breakfast either in Gioia or Piano Noble, but this time I was told Gioia only while others were given the choice.

Restaurants within a couple blocks include Club Frances or French Club, Fervor on Posadas for vaguely Spanish fish/seafood and steak, Sotta Voce on Libertador for Italian food, including fish, and the restaurant inside the new Brick Hotel on Posadas. Sadly the all branch of La Dorita casual steak house has closed.
Print Wikipost

Palacio Duhau - Park Hyatt Buenos Aires REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2010, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by EireMiles
Hello

Quick question. I'm staying at PHBA right now and returned to the room to find turndown service. They left 2 apples and two glass bottles of water next to the bed. Does anyone that's stayed before know if the water is complimentary? Its the Eco de los Andes brand that's 19 pesos in the minibar guide.

Cheers
I've never been charged for the bedside water and/or apples there. That is because the bedside water is complimentary as are the apples.

While the following is not part of turn-down service, did you also get a bottle of complimentary wine and a platter of grapes as your Diamond amenity? That is what they routinely provide me when staying there.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 2, 2010 at 7:53 pm
Old Mar 2, 2010, 6:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I've never been charged for the bedside water and/or apples there. That is because the bedside water is complimentary as are the apples.

While the followinb is not part of turn-down service, did you also get a bottle of complimentary wine and a platter of grapes as your Diamond amenity? That is what they routinely provide me when staying there.
Actually, I think it varies - perhaps on the season. We were there in December. One day it was plums, another fresh cherries, another grapes.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 7:21 pm

This hotel has a super location !
Old Mar 2, 2010, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Actually, I think it varies - perhaps on the season. We were there in December. One day it was plums, another fresh cherries, another grapes.
It does vary, but at this time of the year it's been routinely grapes from what I could tell of my and accompanying parties' stays there.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:13 pm

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Welcome to the Hyatt forum and FlyerTalk, EireMiles. In my experience, water left by the bed during turndown is always complimentary. If you want more reassurance, call the customer service line. And enjoy the beautiful hotel.
I can only agree.

unless there is a clear price-tag on water on your bedside table, it is complimentary. i would never pay if they tried to charge me.

this is especially true for a Park Hyatt.

and yeah, enjoy the hotel! try to have the French fries at their restaurant - best i have eaten in my life!
Old Mar 3, 2010, 3:54 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat
Thanks everyone for replying so quickly. We got a 500ml bottle of Malbec and a bowl of kiwis. Kind of a random combination, but we're grateful none the less. We got back to the room around 6:30 and the turndown was done, and about 8:15 someone knocked on the door and dropped off the welcome gift.

We are beyond impressed with this hotel. Got upgraded to Park King suite, even though this is a FFN award stay. The location is amazing, service is top notch, and the room is beautiful. We're in 1102 facing the garden.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, United Silver, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by sebastian746
and yeah, enjoy the hotel! try to have the French fries at their restaurant - best i have eaten in my life!
Oh my goodness. You were not kidding. Had some fries this afternoon with a big steak and was amazed that they were able to make a potato taste that delicious.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 9:42 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, UA 1K, Avis PC
This property gave us royal treatment on our honeymoon. We were upgraded to a deluxe suite, given the standard malbec, plus some great freebies.

We received a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine with chocolate covered strawberries, free wine and cheese pairing in the restaurant, and were given a completely new meal the day after our wonderful dinner because the leftovers could not be located.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 6:25 pm

Just back from a two-night FFN stay. I am diamond.
Outstanding upgrade to a Park Suite. This is really a terrific room.
No diamond amenity provided. However, the upgrade was enough to satisfy me.

Wonderful breakfast in the AM (I didn't pay anything). However, I had to ask whether the service is just porteno slow, or something more. For example, one day, folks were waiting for an outside table. Several had yet to be bused. They lay stacked with dishes. In the interim, staff were on the Palacio side, simply preparing tables for lunch. Why not deploy the staff down to bus the breakfast tables and get people seated sooner? All in all, a small hiccup.

This is just a wonderful hotel and I can't wait to return.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 4:47 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Im wondering if folks that have stayed at this hotel have done one of their wine tasting programs and would care to report on their impressions...?

Thanks,
Gaucho100K
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Im wondering if folks that have stayed at this hotel have done one of their wine tasting programs and would care to report on their impressions...?

Thanks,
Gaucho100K
Didn't do the wine tasting but the Reserva San Juan tasted fine.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:24 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Didn't do the wine tasting but the Reserva San Juan tasted fine.
Doode.... I hope you know that drinking too much of the RSJ is considered a health hazard...
Old Mar 19, 2010, 7:26 am

Programs: AA platinum Ex, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I am arriving here soon for a week long stay. The wine tasting is on my list so I will report back. Everything from my very short stay here last month was just fantastic so I am quite eager to try this. That said, hard to beat the experience of discovering a new wine in your shop. Will do that too!!
Old Mar 19, 2010, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by ksuckow
I am arriving here soon for a week long stay. The wine tasting is on my list so I will report back. Everything from my very short stay here last month was just fantastic so I am quite eager to try this. That said, hard to beat the experience of discovering a new wine in your shop. Will do that too!!
Great !! Please email or PM me so we can arrange the details.
Old May 13, 2010, 6:18 am

Butler service?

Hi all-
So my wife and I are staying here for the 2nd time next week. Today she received an email from a member of our "personal butler team" asking if there's anything they can do.
My question is: what does one ask a butler to do? Do people generally make use of this service, or is this more for business travelers?
Just curious - we want to get the full Park Hyatt experience, but, at the same time, don't want to make someone run around (or "draw a bath" for us) just because we can.
Thanks.
-M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.