Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency San Francisco - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency San Francisco - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Sep 4, 2012, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by dw
You should go back to GP-- this would not be the first time there is confusion on their end re this issue.

Hyatt check certificates and Hyatt gift cards, which are dollar denominated, should be treated as cash when applied to your folio, and are not supposed to impact your ability to earn points and stay credit.

There is a different type of Hyatt certificate, which is not dollar denominated but rather is good for 1 free night at certain properties, which does not allow for the accrual of point and stay credit. I believe that in the past, some at GP have confused the two.
Thanks all. The good people at Hyatt took care of it.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Refurbishment going on?

Anyone stay at the hotel recently? I read a recent review at Tripadvisor saying there is a major refurbishment going on. Does anyone know what this means in terms of noise, inconvenience, etc?

Also, my wife and I are Plat members considering staying there next week using the award certificates we get by virtue of our Hyatt credit cards. (Can't use them at the Grand Hyatt, FWIW, as they are only good for up to Category 4.) Any recommendations on which side of the building to request, whether we'd be likely to get any refurbished rooms, any other matters to ask about?

Thanks for any help!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
We've stayed there many times, but not in the last 6 months, so don't know about a refurbishment. A couple of years ago they took out all of the hanging plants from every floor in the atrium - a bad move in my mind as it makes the atrium look quite sterile.

The only other item I can comment on is location. You do NOT want a room a room facing the cable car terminus at Market & Drumm. The cable car runs until 1 a.m. It's noisy. In addition, street "musicians" hang out their with loud music and soliciting . We found it impossible to sleep on that side of the hotel without earplugs. The opposite side of the hotel is really best, facing the bay. Another side of the hotel faces Drumm Street, also an undesirable location, but not as bad as the rooms facing Market Street and the cable car.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 8:01 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
The property did do a room renovation a few years ago, but it was limited to the club rooms and (either some or all) suites, so perhaps they are re-starting it for the rest of the rooms? They certainly have gotten very dated by now.

I agree with the market side street being very loud-- one of the problems is that the windows are not double paned, and because they are constructed to slide open (without a tight seal when they are closed), they allow extra sound in. I suppose the one good thing about the market street side is that from the higher floors you'll have a nice view of the water. Obviously, the rooms on the opposite side will be quieter and have better views, but I've found that the hotels tends to prefer trying to upsell (non-Diamond) guests to those rooms rather than give them away.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks very much for this info, folks. Much appreciated!

I'd still welcome any additional info from people who've stayed recently, on the nature and duration of any refurbishment going on there.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I'd still welcome any additional info from people who've stayed recently, on the nature and duration of any refurbishment going on there.
regarding the refurb mentioned on tripadvisor (I copied the response from hyatt sf and pasted it below):

October 9, 2012
Dear Rick S.,

Thank you for your comment. I believe your review was meant for the Grand Hyatt San Francisco as its lobby is being renovated and it will complete by mid November. Currently, there's no renovation at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco located in Embarcadero Center. We would like to apologize on behalf of our sister property for the inconvenience caused. We appreciate you choosing Hyatt for your stay.

Best regards,
Tiffany
Old Oct 12, 2012, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks very much!!!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 9:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Too bad the Hyatt Regency San Francisco really needs a major redo... it's so 1980s....

Originally Posted by ck2003
regarding the refurb mentioned on tripadvisor (I copied the response from hyatt sf and pasted it below):

October 9, 2012
Dear Rick S.,

Thank you for your comment. I believe your review was meant for the Grand Hyatt San Francisco as its lobby is being renovated and it will complete by mid November. Currently, there's no renovation at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco located in Embarcadero Center. We would like to apologize on behalf of our sister property for the inconvenience caused. We appreciate you choosing Hyatt for your stay.

Best regards,
Tiffany
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott PLT, SPG PLT, AA EXP, Virgin Elevate
Yes please do something with that horrific lobby... so stale!!! and remodel the non-regency club rooms!!!

Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
Too bad the Hyatt Regency San Francisco really needs a major redo... it's so 1980s....
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Well, it's really 1970's. I was a "young adult" in the 70's and lived in San Francisco. The revolving rooftop lounge (the Equinox), now the Regency Club (which no longer revolves) was THE place to take a date. There was a dedicated elevator with long lines to get up there. It was one of the famous architect, John Portman's hotels - I think the second atrium hotel he designed after the Hyatt Regency Atlanta. As such, it has a certain design that can never be changed.

I've always liked it and have stayed there probably 20 times over many years. The rooms are a mixed bag and location is everything at this hotel. My last stay in a room with the bathroom sink and vanity as part of the room (with only toilet being separate) was terrible- like a Fairfield Inn. I'm disappointed they removed all greenery from the balconies overlooking the huge atrium. Hopefully it has or will come back.

In the past, at least, this has been a very special place around Christmas with spectacular decorations and the Kristi Yamaguchi ice rink right outside the door.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott PLT, SPG PLT, AA EXP, Virgin Elevate
They need to do a major renovation like they did to the Hyatt Regency Atlanta, Hyatt Regency O'Hare... and the Marriott Marquis, Time Square.... bring the Atrium back to life!!! it has died. It's a shame to see such an architectural gem turn into a worn out dated cold empty place.

I bet you remember the old Emporium on Market, with the Carnival Rides on the roof-top

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Well, it's really 1970's. I was a "young adult" in the 70's and lived in San Francisco. The revolving rooftop lounge (the Equinox), now the Regency Club (which no longer revolves) was THE place to take a date. There was a dedicated elevator with long lines to get up there. It was one of the famous architect, John Portman's hotels - I think the second atrium hotel he designed after the Hyatt Regency Atlanta. As such, it has a certain design that can never be changed.

I've always liked it and have stayed there probably 20 times over many years. The rooms are a mixed bag and location is everything at this hotel. My last stay in a room with the bathroom sink and vanity as part of the room (with only toilet being separate) was terrible- like a Fairfield Inn. I'm disappointed they removed all greenery from the balconies overlooking the huge atrium. Hopefully it has or will come back.

In the past, at least, this has been a very special place around Christmas with spectacular decorations and the Kristi Yamaguchi ice rink right outside the door.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
The Lobby Atrium at the Hyatt Regency SF is pathetic, they leave up the holiday icicle lights year round now. The lobby space is dead, dated and in need of a major renovation.

Originally Posted by Andaz5
They need to do a major renovation like they did to the Hyatt Regency Atlanta, Hyatt Regency O'Hare... and the Marriott Marquis, Time Square.... bring the Atrium back to life!!! it has died. It's a shame to see such an architectural gem turn into a worn out dated cold empty place.

I bet you remember the old Emporium on Market, with the Carnival Rides on the roof-top
Old Oct 21, 2012, 3:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
It is not that bad, actually the light installations are not limited to X-Mas.

They have to understand that the atrium lobby needs new tiles, a major cost factor, which will result in a lot of noise.

It is a very thin line between leaving this vast open space untouched to impress every guest who steps into it and adding some exhibitions like they did last year with the Ghiradelli 100th Anniversairy displays.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 6:12 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SGC Gold, IHG Plat, Delta Diamond, Cont Gold, US Air Chairmans
Originally Posted by Andaz5
Yes please do something with that horrific lobby... so stale!!! and remodel the non-regency club rooms!!!
I agree to this as well.

And to the posters that said make it like Atlanta - I am in Atlanta now and although the lobby is nice, I do not think it would be a "goal" for anything hoping to stand out.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:48 pm

Anyone stay in a Balcony Suite recently? Is it one of the refurbished rooms? We are planning a Thanksgiving trip, so hopefully the hotel will be festive as in the past!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.