Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency San Francisco - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency San Francisco - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Feb 23, 11, 3:33 am

Programs: Quite a few...
Does anyone happen to have the name of the GM of that property? Thanks!
Old Mar 28, 11, 3:59 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Checked in for four nights after reading the reviews of all SFO Hyatt properties on FT. Using a 6,000 point upgrade to an Embarcedero Suite, and although there was no separate living and bedroom, the floor to ceiling bay windows and as well as the stunning corner view were brilliant. The carpeting and decor were modern and made for a pleasant stay.

As expected from what I read, the property is more modern than the GH SFO. The light feature in the atrium looks amazing at night, and the Regency Club on the roof is exceptional. Breakfast offerings are on par with what I have come to expect from US properties, i.e. mediocre and uninspiring. We ended up going for brunch in The Castro instead.

The hotel is a massive convention style hotel, yet the service including valet parking was very efficient.
Old Mar 28, 11, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed View Post
Breakfast offerings are on par with what I have come to expect from US properties, i.e. mediocre and uninspiring.
What about the evening hors d'oeuvre selection?
Old Mar 28, 11, 6:24 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sfvoyage View Post
What about the evening hors d'oeuvre selection?
Didn't partake. Given that US clubs no longer offer alcohol we ate out every evening.
Old Mar 28, 11, 11:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Didn't partake. Given that US clubs no longer offer alcohol we ate out every evening.
I stayed in late February, they still offered alcohol at this location.
Old Mar 28, 11, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
FYI: US Clubs still offer alcohol for a small fee. With so many excellent restaurants in San Francisco why would one have brunch in the Castro.

Old Apr 4, 11, 11:10 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K; UA Gold MM; AA Exec Plat; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold.
Maybe because it's a historic district?
Old Apr 4, 11, 9:52 pm

Maybe because I was hanging out with mates who knew some great restaurants and bars in The Castro and it's where "my people" hang out
Old Apr 5, 11, 10:03 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer View Post
With so many excellent restaurants in San Francisco why would one have brunch in the Castro.
Huh?

Actually, if staying at the HR, it's an easy Muni ride to the Castro. Or Eureka Valley, if you prefer.
Old May 1, 11, 4:08 pm

I am new to GP and am not familiar with Hyatt. I was really pleased with the hyatt website, and I like the upgrade options.

We are staying at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco. I booked a deluxe king and upgraded to the embarkadero king suite with points. Under my eStandby Upgrade option I can select a higher floor for $19 or the One Bedroom Balcony Suite for $45. Are either of these options worth it? Are there embarkadero suites with bad views?

I am very much looking forward to our visit. We have a rental car and know that the price for parking is going to be very expensive. I'm hoping we can park the car in one of our friends neighborhood and take public transportation to the hotel.

Thanks!
Old May 1, 11, 5:35 pm

I would request one on a high floor with good views. They windows open slightly, but they don't have balconies. I must admit, they are more of a junior suite than a suite as the living and bedroom are not partitioned. Pleasant nonetheless.

I never use the e-upgrade option if using an e-cert.
Old Jun 12, 11, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA,AS,BA,WN,Hyatt,Marriott
Am staying at the hotel now, our last stay here about about 9 months ago. Usually stay at the GH Union Square (undergoing a remodel) or the Hyatt SFO.

Was given a remodeled room on the 16th floor with a balcony and bay view. The room seems smaller to me than those at the GH or at Hyatt SFO. Quite narrow, so much so that one side of the bed had only a mini nightstand and no lighting. Lighting on the other side isn't adequate if you want to read in bed. In fact, lighting throughout the room is pretty poor. The desk has just a small lamp on it- sufficient if you're just using a laptop but insufficient if you need to do other work on the desk. This is also the only high quality hotel I've stayed at where the bathroom dressing area/sink is not separated from the bedroom by a door. I don't recall this from my previous stays at this hotel.

As others have noted, the offerings in the club are superior to all the other clubs I have visited-- you could actually make a light dinner out of them. Tonight, beef tacos and chicken wings were the warm items and there was also a choice of cold cuts, cheese, and vegetables. At least tonight (a Sunday) this is an unattended club, with a phone to the concierge in the lobby should you need assistance.

We are unhappy to see that all of the hanging plants from the railings surrounding the atrium are gone. It looks quite stark. I hope this is only a temporary change.

A good stay overall.

Last edited by JIMCHI; Jun 14, 11 at 1:16 pm
Old Jul 5, 11, 1:58 pm
Used to be hamajicky

3 night stay. Lobby was interesting, but starting to look dated.

The property as a whole is in major need of a redo. The rooms are worn, the hallway carpets are worn, scuffs on the walls, etc.

The bathrooms are pretty nasty (11th floor bayview, no balcony). Reminded me of a Holiday Inn.

The bed was nice, though.

The best thing this property has going for it is the location: steps from the Ferry Building and right by the Bart/MUNI entrance.
Old Jul 5, 11, 2:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
Originally Posted by anc-ord772 View Post
I am new to GP and am not familiar with Hyatt. I was really pleased with the hyatt website, and I like the upgrade options.

We are staying at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco. I booked a deluxe king and upgraded to the embarkadero king suite with points. Under my eStandby Upgrade option I can select a higher floor for $19 or the One Bedroom Balcony Suite for $45. Are either of these options worth it? Are there embarkadero suites with bad views?

I am very much looking forward to our visit. We have a rental car and know that the price for parking is going to be very expensive. I'm hoping we can park the car in one of our friends neighborhood and take public transportation to the hotel.

Thanks!
If you are spending more than a day in S.F., and aren't going outside the city, turn in your rental car until you leave. San Francisco is the BEST city to walk in which I have ever been. You see so much on foot that you would miss in a car, because there isn't any place to park any place you will likely be. Parking isn't just expensive, it's rare.
Old Aug 23, 11, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver, WN A-, AA LT Gold, IHG S/KIC, NCR EC
I did a two-night stay here on Priceline last week ($103/night for a weeknight). For me, it's exceptionally convenient because our offices are in Oakland City Center and being able to walk out of the hotel and be right in front of the BART entrance is great. I'm a bit afraid of ledges in these atrium hotels, so since I was on a PL stay I asked at checkin for a room near the elevators, and received 1001, looking straight down Market street.

Other than a newer TV set and some more modern bedding, the hotel looks absolutely the same as it did when I stayed there as a teenager in 1979. I didn't get a chance to try the food or beverage or other amenities.

I would definitely stay there again for a work trip. For a leisure trip, I'd probably stay at one of the many Kimpton properties instead.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: