Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Chesapeake Bay Resort REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Chesapeake Bay Resort REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Aug 12, 20, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I don't think we'll be going any time soon. We have to take our little dog, and with the distancing issues as well as having to do outdoor dining we may be stuck in our room with room service. The surrounding area doesn't offer much either, which is why we cancelled.

I booked a standard room but as a globalist was upgraded to a really nice water view room with a balcony - which was my request. Very few rooms have balconies you can actually use.
Old Aug 12, 20, 6:03 pm

We stayed over 4th of July weekend for 6 days and was pleasantly surprised with the hotel. The carpet in the rooms and some of the furniture could be upgraded but the Chesapeake suite is spacious and having a usable balcony was really nice during our stay. The infinity pool was the highlight of the property, it's nice having that resort feel within driving distance. We will definitely go back and I highly recommend a visit to this Hyatt Regency if you haven't been.
Old Aug 13, 20, 12:03 pm

I had 3 night reservation in July but I ended up cancelling it due to Covid. We went last summer and the hotel was crowded. I wonder how it is this summer.
Old Aug 13, 20, 12:12 pm

I think it has been pretty busy. There were a lot of people at the resort 4th of July weekend especially that Saturday.
Old Aug 15, 20, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tonyr4 View Post
I think it has been pretty busy. There were a lot of people at the resort 4th of July weekend especially that Saturday.
Based on the website rates and availability, the hotel is certainly busy this month. Not surprising. I've been travelling a fair bit this summer, and this is the EXACT type of leisure non-urban hotel that has been busy. Its location a short drive from a major city (DC) filled withe the type of people who stay at Hyatt resorts is certainly helping in COVID times.
Old Jan 9, 21, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL GM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Has anyone actually done a COVID-era stay? Seems frustrating that they are charging the $25 resort fee per night given how many of the "inclusions" are closed.
Old Jan 19, 21, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL GM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Reporting from a winter stay and a bit disappointed. The property is still fairly crowded, and has a lot of families. The indoor pool is packed, and most of the "resort" amenities are geared at kids- i.e., there are movies on a big screen in the pool area, there is a lounge are converted to a learning lounge for zoom school, there's an arcade.
there may be other things going on, but I wasn't told about anything at check-in, and there was no description of resort facilities anywhere, which is unusual for a resort (with a resort fee). I could ask about mini golf and stuff I guess?
I booked through Prive, so had a $100 resort credit. The spa is only open certain days, and there was only one dining option open for dinner- Michener's Library- which was loud and had bad service. Property is a bit dated, but the room itself was nice. Upgraded to a Petit Suite through Prive, which had a nice balcony overlooking the River.

Petit suite

Petit suite

Pool /movie theater

Michener's Library
Old Jan 20, 21, 10:57 am

Programs: HH Gold; Marriott Tit, LTP;Omni Black;IHG Spire
My wife and I have stayed at the Hyatt/Cambridge, Md several times from this past fall through last weekend. Although the comments from the OPs reflect aspects of the hotel, I believe that right now it is good value for a weekend getaway. Especially if one uses Hyatt points and is registered for the various ongoing promotions. Our last stay ended up costing us only 8k net points (for a 15k point room), with no destination fee.

The hotel (with 400 rooms) was built as a Maryland Economic Development Corp. project (bond funding) aimed at the summer vacation traffic and business meetings, weddings , and other groups for the off season. It has not made enough of a profit to cover the bonds for some years (https://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanua...l/26econr.html) and IMHO is trying to get by until Covid, etc. is over as it has been a major development center for the Eastern Shore since its building.

The fine dining restaurant, Blue Point is closed until spring; Waters Edge Grill is only open on weekends, and the bar, Michener's Library is the only served food service facility week days. Both the Grill and the Library have the same menu when they are both open. The Grill takes reservations, the Library does not. The menu is very limited; crab cakes, tacos, hamburgers, pizza, and a weekend special, etc. Not fine dining but serves well for a night. I wouldn't try to eat here for multiple days.

Due to the low occupancy, overall the staffing is limited. There is no valet service, the front desk works as bellmen, no housekeeping during the stay. The Grill has had usual staffing and is attentive, the Library gets by. The hotel tried having just the barman (no servers) at the Library during the week. Let's say it was not a successful experiment, even with a hotel occupancy rate of less then 10%. A buck a shuck oyster weekend special over the holidays brought in lots of locals, who ordered oysters and little else; inconveniencing the hotel guests who had extra long waits for dining.

As for upkeep, the hard product is very good. Our rooms have always been clean and we've seen staff cleaning the public areas during the day. Each time, our room has had a step out balcony or larger with a sliding glass door and a ceiling fan. If you are worried about Covid, it is easy to air out the room. The seating at the Grill and Library is well spaced and each have 30 foot or so ceilings.

With the pool and put put golf, appealing to children, this still is a good weekend resort for the DC area.

For local food to take home, consider Kools Ice and Seafood and also Simmon's Center Market, both in Cambridge. Pop's Old Place near Hurlock has local frozen beef, lamb and pork. All three have facebook pages for more information.
IAD_flyer and Dreamworks like this.
Old Feb 27, 21, 5:36 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WOH - Globalist, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Thinking about coming here in the summer, mid to late July. Looking at Tripadvisor, many reviews complain of bugs and mosquitoes - is it really that bad? They have attractive rates in the summer, especially compared with other waterfront properties in the area (Delaware Atlantic coast) - I understand this is not ocean-front, but rather a river-front resort, so maybe that's why. Is there a catch?
Old Feb 27, 21, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by sch_flyer View Post
Thinking about coming here in the summer, mid to late July. Looking at Tripadvisor, many reviews complain of bugs and mosquitoes - is it really that bad? They have attractive rates in the summer, especially compared with other waterfront properties in the area (Delaware Atlantic coast) - I understand this is not ocean-front, but rather a river-front resort, so maybe that's why. Is there a catch?
I was there over 4th of July week last year and didn't have any issues with mosquitoes or bugs during the stay.
sch_flyer likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: