Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Tokyo REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hailstorm
The pool and shuttle bus service from the hotel to Shinjuku station has permanently ended as of March 31st, 2021.
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Regency Tokyo REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2016, 8:20 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Ok let's discontinue the discussion of the ethics of sleeping 4 to a regular room - seems like every permutation has been explored. And the topic has degenerated into bickering between members.

Thanks!!

Peteropny - co-mod - Hyatt
Old Mar 28, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by peteropny
Ok let's discontinue the discussion of the ethics of sleeping 4 to a regular room - seems like every permutation has been explored. And the topic has degenerated into bickering between members.

Thanks!!

Peteropny - co-mod - Hyatt
+1^
Old Mar 30, 2016, 1:28 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I take no position on the smuggling issues but this is a great description of He property!!

Originally Posted by jpdx
This is the worst of the full-service Western chain hotels in Tokyo (perhaps tied with the Sheraton), and is closer to a factory than a high class hotel. Unless four people line up at check-in, it's exceedingly likely that this hotel won't notice or care. Even for Diamonds, nobody will address you by name or make an effort to get to know you (except perhaps long-stay/frequent guests). The club lounge is accessed by keycard; nobody takes your name, and the assumption is that once you're in there, you belong. If you must smuggle in extra guests at any hotel in Japan, this is the place to do it. Of course, having two couples in a standard room here would be extremely tight, it's poor style and against the law, but it's not hard to pull off.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
One interesting find about this property was that I booked using my corporate rate, we used to have our office in the Century Southern tower, and I was surprised to find how generous our breakfast deal still is. For each day of the stay i received 2 coupons that were good for either the buffet or Japanese set breakfast OR about $25 credit during non breakfast at any establishment or room service. That was in addition to lounge access as a diamond.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: *$ Green
Nice. Can I work for your company next time I'm in Tokyo?
Old Apr 7, 2016, 7:14 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
My partner and I just spent four nights here. I used a DSU to confirm an Atrium Suite and, although I was no longer a Diamond during the stay, we received a nice F&B amenity of wine, cookies and fruit (replenished daily). I must admit, my expectations were low given the reviews.

I was expecting a massive hotel with average service and hordes at breakfast and happy hour. Instead, the hotel felt cozy and our suite was very well done (seemed recently renovated). The attention to detail made us feel like we were in the Park Hyatt instead of a Hyatt Regency. Service was also very attentive, warm and gracious.

The lounge is not the most luxurious space, but it does the trick. Although the breakfast selection was limited, the food was perfectly adequate (and the pastries excellent). During happy hour, the snacks were also limited and the served plate was nothing to write home about. But, the bar selection saved us a lot of money. Most importantly, neither experience was characterized by large groups of obnoxious vacationers! There were the usual loud-talkers and screaming/running amok kids, but I was a kid once too!

The only downside was the location. For first-time visitors to Tokyo, I would recommend somewhere between Ueno and Minato.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by 54austin
My partner and I just spent four nights here. I used a DSU to confirm an Atrium Suite and, although I was no longer a Diamond during the stay, we received a nice F&B amenity of wine, cookies and fruit (replenished daily). I must admit, my expectations were low given the reviews.

I was expecting a massive hotel with average service and hordes at breakfast and happy hour. Instead, the hotel felt cozy and our suite was very well done (seemed recently renovated). The attention to detail made us feel like we were in the Park Hyatt instead of a Hyatt Regency. Service was also very attentive, warm and gracious.

The lounge is not the most luxurious space, but it does the trick. Although the breakfast selection was limited, the food was perfectly adequate (and the pastries excellent). During happy hour, the snacks were also limited and the served plate was nothing to write home about. But, the bar selection saved us a lot of money. Most importantly, neither experience was characterized by large groups of obnoxious vacationers! There were the usual loud-talkers and screaming/running amok kids, but I was a kid once too!

The only downside was the location. For first-time visitors to Tokyo, I would recommend somewhere between Ueno and Minato.
I totally agree with you. At 12K points it is a great value and good use of a DSU to an atrium suite. Additionally, I have found their point and C&P availability to be great. I like it better than most US Hyatts (other than PH/ Andaz.) I was also there (for the 2nd time) last week and will be there again for a 3rd time next month. I wonder if part of the experience is part of the Japanese culture that may help tame the " large groups of obnoxious vacationers." I know that it has a calming effect on me.

In terms of location, I thought it was better than all the other Hyatt properties other than GH due to the proximity to the subway (including one under the hotel.)
Old Apr 7, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by 54austin
Instead, the hotel felt cozy and our suite was very well done (seemed recently renovated). The attention to detail made us feel like we were in the Park Hyatt instead of a Hyatt Regency. Service was also very attentive, warm and gracious.

The lounge is not the most luxurious space, but it does the trick. Although the breakfast selection was limited, the food was perfectly adequate (and the pastries excellent).
This is a perfect description. We got lucky with our DSU and was given the ambassador suite. It had 2 double beds but felt more like queen beds. We slept 4 (our kids ditched their standard room and came to ours) on our final night before moving to the PH. But I really don't think they can tell who goes in and out of the hotel like the PH.

One thing I must note about the lounge, the receptionist for Diamond guests sits right at the entrance to the lounge so they see the in/out traffic. They might call out folks who they don't think have access to the lounge. Just an observation.

And if I was lucky enough to go back to Tokyo, this property would be on top of my list when using points or C&P.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 11:03 am

Is it me...or is the points + cash redemption pretty awesome? $75 + 6000 points for a stay that's ~$250/night. After taking the $75 out it's 6000 points to cover $175...AKA 2.9cpp? I'm ok with that.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by YummyRambutan
Is it me...or is the points + cash redemption pretty awesome? $75 + 6000 points for a stay that's ~$250/night. After taking the $75 out it's 6000 points to cover $175...AKA 2.9cpp? I'm ok with that.
It is indeed a good deal, especially when you consider the awesome availability. Comes out to $100 after taxes & fees, though still a great value. I see this hotel going up in category next time they revise the list.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 6:39 pm

Club Lounge at this hotel cut back to 9pm closure instead of 10pm starting 4/1/16. The offering at the club lounge is...horrible. Worse than domestic Hyatt Lounges, especially happy hours. However, I am not complaining as I barely visit lounge when I am in Japan. Too many options outside, too little stomachs.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 12:44 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by anchor79
The offering at the club lounge is...horrible. Worse than domestic Hyatt Lounges, especially happy hours.
Yeah.... in those domestic lounges the alcohol is also free, or is it? And I've seen plenty of worse lounges in the US, in fact most of them are worse.

This isn't a great one, especially for Asia. But it's still average.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:26 am

Hi guys,
I am planning to stay in HRT with a DSU in upcoming May, 2016.
I have read from the previous posts that some are being able to upgrade to the atrium suite and am wondering if it's still ok recently.
(Since the regency suite seems to be the most basic suite in HRT)
Thanks!
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by nickchanz
Hi guys,
I am planning to stay in HRT with a DSU in upcoming May, 2016.
I have read from the previous posts that some are being able to upgrade to the atrium suite and am wondering if it's still ok recently.
(Since the regency suite seems to be the most basic suite in HRT)
Thanks!
call and ask!
Old Apr 11, 2016, 4:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Is it realistic to walk to Golden Gai, or Piss Alley - and walk home later at night - from the HR. We are a couple, 30 years old, active, fit etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.