Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Bellevue Hotel Philadelphia (Unbound; former Park Hyatt) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Bellevue Hotel Philadelphia (Unbound; former Park Hyatt) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2010, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Gold Medallion, Hyatt - Diamond
Guest Experience

Hyatt at the Bellevue is a great hotel. I've stayed there several times over the years, most recently in Nov 2009. I love the historic building and the surrounding area. And, if you like sushi, it's only a short cab ride from Morimoto which was an amazing dining experience for me.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 6:22 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
3 night stay, using suite upgrade received Bellvue Suite #1521. Not upgraded, slightly worn but no real issues. (and make-up mirror was at correct height)

Great: 1) breakfast in X1X - wonderful view. service SLOOOW, make sure you plan accordingly.
2) turndown service - which you must request - includes a bucket of ice, and 2 waters. no chocolate, though.
3) public areas of building are gorgeous. location is great, especially for shopping and theater, with many restaurants in area.

Not So Great: 1) service. not that friendly, and seemed understaffed, especially in restaurant and front desk. Concierge desk appeared to be staffed only a few hours per day.

I was told that the renovation plans have been put on hold. Seems no one was particularly pleased with Room 1213, so those plans were scrapped, and new ones have not been agreed upon.

As I value service over decor, stay was nothing spectacular - but again, no real problems. YMMV.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 6:30 pm

Stayed in two BWB rooms over the weekend and had a great experience. I was upgraded in the first (my) room to an Avenue Suite. It was a one-bedroom parlor suite with a king bed. The windows faced Broad street. The room was beautiful in that sort of French renaissance way. When I arrived, I expected the twins to ask me to come out and play and Jack to jump out and yell, "Here's Johnny!" My only complaint would be the bathroom, which was just too small. The second room was a deluxe king. It was well furnished and more than enough room. About time and a half the size of a regular room, which were also decent sized. Breakfast was in the XIX room. Unfortunately, it was very hot so outside dining wasn't allowed. Although I was told there was a $23 limit, both days the limit was exceeded even before tax and tip. At checkout, the bills were all wiped away.

All in all, we enjoyed the stay. You certainly cannot beat the location. It's lively until all hours on the weekend (warning for light sleepers with Broad St rooms) but that just adds to the Philadelphia experience. I lived across the river for many years and always enjoyed Philadelphia. It's gritty and edgy, it's hard smoking and hard drinking, it's blue collar and golden collar, it's old and it's new. It's clubs tucked into row houses where the pretty sect dances until dawn, and it's $5 PBR and bourbons in some shithole bar where blue collars and white collars while away the night. While the hotel did not deserve the Park Hyatt name from the experience I had, it's still a great hotel for visiting Philadelphia.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 9:42 pm
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
I stayed here recently over a busy weekend, and got my worst room yet here. The hotel had a large wedding and seemed to be sold out. As a result, I wasn't able to get an upgrade. I got a tiny room, but at least it looked outside and got some natural light in.

I'm not sure why they changed the lobby from the 19th floor to the ground level. Now the former lobby space on the 19th floor is barren and empty and looks a bit odd.

Diamond amenity was a full bottle of Napa Cabernet (not Canvas) and a great cheese plate. The free breakfast included either anything off the menu or the full buffet. We chose the buffet.

Overall, I don't like the "old" style of this hotel and the tiny bathrooms. The great restaurant and the affiliation with the Sporting Club redeems it a bit.

Unfortunately, Penn's Landing was completely sold out that weekend. I prefer staying there when I have to be in Philly.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 10:27 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

You nailed it its all about the restaurant and the Sporting Club typically here^
And quite frankly over the years I have met a number of Hyatts outstanding team members who took great care of me^
They made the difference frequently despite some of the challenges of the property.
If this hotel allocated the funds for a first class front desk area and an exceptional renovation it would be the number one hotel in Philadelphia in a heart beat.It could easily be a Park again.
The bathrooms are in the most dire need first to be redone.Then the public areas and the guest rooms.This hotel has all the potential in the world.

The hotel has vastly improved in food quality over the past year or two
with some exceptional offerings on my last visit.
I too wasn't upgraded last year on a very slow night which I found odd.

It was one night so it really didn't matter all that much
Breakfast was fantastic with the best bananna bread I have ever eaten
Being loyal to Hyatt means sometimes staying in hotels that aren't up to par/brand standards.
I am booked here again for the holidays and thats loyalty for you!
Gold Passport is the biggest draw here!

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Nov 11, 2010 at 8:31 pm
Old Nov 4, 2010, 9:02 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
The mixed reviews on this property surprise me; I've had over a half-dozen stays here over the past two months and have really grown to like this hotel quite a bit.

Most of the time, as a (new this year) Hyatt Diamond, I am upgraded to a Bellevue Suite - these rooms, to me, are extremely comfortable and spacious. There is plenty of room to work and to relax, and I find the furnishings to be very comfortable. Granted, the rooms are not the most modern or stylish around, but they feel very cozy to me - a lot of windows, a lot of natural light, and just a comfortable feeling. The bathrooms could use a little bit of help, but other than that I find the rooms to be very comfortable.

I love breakfast in XIX - I find the space to be beautiful and relaxing, and while the food isn't over the moon I have never found it to be unsatisfactory. The staff in the restaurant have always been very kind to me and make sure that I'm taken care of quickly.

The front desk staff at this hotel is top notch, in my opinion, and very professional. My only complaint would be that the wait for the elevator can get to be a bit absurd in the morning. I have never used the Sporting Club as I always run outside, thus I cannot comment on that.

In summary, I find the staff at this hotel to be very welcoming and the rooms to be very comfortable, and I have shifted most of my Philadelphia stays to this property.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 9:30 am

Multiple stays over time. Most recent stay this week after the name (and theme) change.
1) Check in at the ground level. Perhaps logistically better, but the lobby is underwhelming and not a lot of space to sit.
2) Rooms have had soft upgrades. Bathrooms still poor, mostly due to size. Hallways still have that musty feel.
3) Breakfast quality has been downgraded slightly. Less offerings at the buffet in the past.
4) Minibar items removed, but fridges still in place.

Still, for location (and pricing), a very good option in downtown Philadelphia.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 6:12 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Just completed one night there. For reference, we spend Thursday night at the Andaz 5th Avenue, 2 nights at our son's home in Washington, DC, and a night at the Bellevue on Philadelphia on our way home in order to attend a museum opening.

I'm 62 and consider myself slightly hip! We used our remaining Diamond Suite upgrade to get a Bellevue Suite (for $130!!!) and have to admit that I was very impressed. Checked in last night and had dinner at the cafe. Food fine but service was truly amateurish - almost embarrassingly so. But the suite was magnificent, the staff great, the breakfast wonderful and my only regret was that we only had one night here! We absolutely look forward to returning.

As someone who lives in northern NJ and loves going to NYC, my hope is that the Andaz 5A will mature to the point where the staff is as accomplished as we found at the Bellevue.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:04 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
I'm about to book a room here for the weekend and have a few questions:

1. As a diamond should I choose the 'AAA Breakfast' rate or the 'AAA Discount' rate? (they are the same price)

2. I'm going to use one of my remaining suite upgrades, so is there a particular room or area of the hotel that I should request?

3. It sounds like the wine and cheese amenity is better than the 1k points?

4 Is there free street parking in the area on weekends? (or another option to thier valet parking)
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:33 am
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by srodr

1. As a diamond should I choose the 'AAA Breakfast' rate or the 'AAA Discount' rate? (they are the same price)

2. I'm going to use one of my remaining suite upgrades, so is there a particular room or area of the hotel that I should request?

4 Is there free street parking in the area on weekends? (or another option to thier valet parking)
I can't answer 1 or 2 for you. But for #3, I think it depends on your own preference. Personally, I've been on the road for about 4 weeks now for a combo of work & pleasure trips, and have stayed at about 10 different Hyatts over the past 4 weeks. After a while, the cheese plates start tasting all the same. Although standouts, for me, were at the GH DFW, PH Chicago, and the HR Philadelphia. The one thing that is good about the HR Philadelphia wine amenity is that it's not that awful Canvas stuff. We got a bottle of Napa Cabernet.

For #4, there is some street parking in the neighborhood, but the Philadelphia parking authority is very aggressive (if you've seen Parking Wars on TV, you'll know this), and so you'll have to be pretty vigilant about observing the signs/meters, etc.

if you don't want to do Valet, you can self-park in the same garage for a lower price, or there might be a cheaper garage somewhere close by. Maybe across the street over by the Doubletree. Personally, I did self-parking in the Bellevue garage.

Last edited by thc; Nov 23, 2010 at 11:13 pm
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:40 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by srodr

Thanks for the question srodr (perhaps off topic)
IMO the AAA breakast included rates are typically higher than the AAA rates.
So u may as well book the AAA breakfast rate
In a sense you are paying for your breakfast even as a Diamond.
The rate is intentionally marketed to folks with out elite benefits.
I remember those days many years ago.Breakfast might be the difference between staying or not staying.Today its an expectation in a number of programs

When Hyatt runs these promotions I would like to see a special benefit offered at the hotels to Diamonds at checkin.
However nothing is typically ever offered if the breakfast package goes unused as an elite.
It could be a late night dessert,some soft drinks or perhaps a discount at lunch or dinner.Most hotels play the silent treatment if you are already entitled.

Some folks like views some like the quiet interior courtyards a matter of preference
The hotel has very lmited premium view rooms and suites so sometimes it is all about the interior space of the suites or rooms

Wine and cheese vs points depends on how hungry you are and what you value more!
The hotel had great chocolate dipped strawberries for years not sure if they still do.
The hotel has self parking in an enclosed garage and valet
Street parking is at your own risk and subject to posted signs/ city rules.

I am staying there tomorrow night.
Hope they are prepared for the FT Ambassador inspection

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Dec 7, 2010 at 8:58 pm
Old Dec 14, 2010, 7:00 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
My recent four night stay at this property was generally pleasing. I used a suite upgrade and received a Bellevue suite. I was initially a little disappointed with it but recognise the property is more of a 'period hotel'. I was satisfied when I left. The adjacent sporting club is excellent and I thought the hotel was well located.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 9:09 am

Programs: LH HON,AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, and a few more
Stayed here for one night upon check-in I was informed I had been upgraded to Deluxe Room. Everything in the hotel is very old and it needs a renovation badly. The room itself had mismatched furniture and the couch had some large stains on it. The bathroom seemed to be renovated but the room wasn't. Later in the evening I decided to make me a cup of coffee and there was no sugar or cremer to be found in the room. I had requested a wake up call at 7am that never happened. I woke up at 8am and ran up to the restaurant for breakfast there were no other guests there when I arrived and 4 waiters. After about 5 minutes after I sat down someone came over to offer coffee and juice and I never saw the waiter again until it was time to get the check. Plan in sometime if you want to eat breakfast there. When I checked out of the hotel I mentioned the missed wake up call and the slow service in the restaurant. The front desk clerk aplogized and offered to take care of the cab to the airport. I was also informed that they will begin renovating there suites starting in April with the rest of the hotel to follow.

Photos of the Room
Old Feb 25, 2011, 4:09 pm

Hello All,
I have a few days to make it, using a suite upgrade that will disappear soon, but what suite do you get here, and would it be better than Penn's Landing? Thanks!
Old Feb 26, 2011, 2:31 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

You get a Bellevue suite large but dated with regular bathroom. Never been to penns landing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.