Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt at the Bellevue (formerly Philiadelphia Park Hyatt) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt at the Bellevue (formerly Philiadelphia Park Hyatt) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Apr 2, 22, 2:03 pm
  #316  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: RDU
Programs: AA CK
Posts: 2,186
I'm currently at the Bellevue. I'm not even sure what to say about this place. I guess, it's just tired. Sure, it's in a very old historic building which used to be the 'Grande Dame of Broad Street'. It's really just an unimpressive hotel at this point.

Some details:
- My limited service interactions have all been very positive... from check-in to breakfast to housekeeping
- I did get a globalist upgrade to a junior suite. HOWEVER... the junior suites face the interior atrium area. But it's not like an Embassy Suites feel. It overlooks the 'conservatory', where currently there is absolutely nothing going on. And, the guest rooms start on the 12th floor- which we got, so in essence we have the ground floor. Which means we can't leave our blinds open since they open right to the atrium- not an outside view
- The room is in need of a renovation. There is very little light in the room, and one is broken. We have a bedside table which has a large piece of duct tape covering something.
- Breakfast- was told that globalists get a $75 credit for the restaurant. AND... we have 2 rooms here, and both rooms are offered the credit. That said, the restaurant is also tired and the food was mediocre. To give you an idea on the restaurant... on the menu are 'seasonal breakfast pastries'. They are literally packaged muffins and pound cake in plastic wrap, like you'd get in a 7-11.
- Bathroom has a selection of Pharmacopia-branded toiletries (face soap, body soap, body wash, lotion, shampoo, conditioner)
- Location is very good, of course, if you need to be in center city.
dave_261 is offline  
Old Apr 2, 22, 2:43 pm
  #317  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: NJ
Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat, Hyatt Expl
Posts: 2,258
Originally Posted by dave_261 View Post

- I did get a globalist upgrade to a junior suite. HOWEVER... the junior suites face the interior atrium area. But it's not like an Embassy Suites feel. It overlooks the 'conservatory', where currently there is absolutely nothing going on. And, the guest rooms start on the 12th floor- which we got, so in essence we have the ground floor. Which means we can't leave our blinds open since they open right to the atrium- not an outside view
I received this "upgrade" once too... instantly went back to the front desk and asked for a downgrade.
schriste is offline  
Old Apr 2, 22, 9:44 pm
  #318  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, World of Hyatt Globalist, AAdvantage Gold, United Premier Silver
Posts: 1,313
I had the 12th floor junior suite, too. I wish I had gone back and refused as the room didn't have any tangible benefits and was so dark since the shades had to be closed for privacy - no need for anyone to judge my YouTube viewing choices on the massive TV.
ElevatorEnthusiast is offline  
Old Apr 2, 22, 10:05 pm
  #319  
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: San Diego,CA
Posts: 8,877
Originally Posted by dave_261 View Post
I'm currently at the Bellevue. I'm not even sure what to say about this place. I guess, it's just tired. Sure, it's in a very old historic building which used to be the 'Grande Dame of Broad Street'. It's really just an unimpressive hotel at this point.

Some details:
- My limited service interactions have all been very positive... from check-in to breakfast to housekeeping
- I did get a globalist upgrade to a junior suite. HOWEVER... the junior suites face the interior atrium area. But it's not like an Embassy Suites feel. It overlooks the 'conservatory', where currently there is absolutely nothing going on. And, the guest rooms start on the 12th floor- which we got, so in essence we have the ground floor. Which means we can't leave our blinds open since they open right to the atrium- not an outside view
- The room is in need of a renovation. There is very little light in the room, and one is broken. We have a bedside table which has a large piece of duct tape covering something.
- Breakfast- was told that globalists get a $75 credit for the restaurant. AND... we have 2 rooms here, and both rooms are offered the credit. That said, the restaurant is also tired and the food was mediocre. To give you an idea on the restaurant... on the menu are 'seasonal breakfast pastries'. They are literally packaged muffins and pound cake in plastic wrap, like you'd get in a 7-11.
- Bathroom has a selection of Pharmacopia-branded toiletries (face soap, body soap, body wash, lotion, shampoo, conditioner)
- Location is very good, of course, if you need to be in center city.
This hotel had two claims to fame one access to one of the best fitness clubs in the country
and a great pastry chef who could bake almost on par with European standard in the best cities
The renovation can’t come quick enough
I’m anxious returning for the holidays but at least the Sporting Club should be reopened
You have to love Hyatt full asking prices and higher seasonal redemption rates now as
we suffer through some of the array of defects and lower standards in the interim.
Hopefully the 7-11 chefs move over to the Doubletree across the street and the former crew returns
At.least at the Doubletree they have good fresh cookies!
777 global mile hound is online now  
Old Apr 2, 22, 10:09 pm
  #320  
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: San Diego,CA
Posts: 8,877
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast View Post
I had the 12th floor junior suite, too. I wish I had gone back and refused as the room didn't have any tangible benefits and was so dark since the shades had to be closed for privacy - no need for anyone to judge my YouTube viewing choices on the massive TV.
Love the Atrium facing suites they are quiet though the view is dreary and dark.No street noise
777 global mile hound is online now  
Old Apr 2, 22, 10:24 pm
  #321  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, World of Hyatt Globalist, AAdvantage Gold, United Premier Silver
Posts: 1,313
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound View Post
Love the Atrium facing suites they are quiet though the view is dreary and dark.No street noise
If I had just gotten something on 13 or above, I might have agreed. Watching people walk and gaze into your room on the 12th floor was just disconcerting.
ElevatorEnthusiast is offline  
Old Apr 3, 22, 5:59 am
  #322  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: RDU
Programs: AA CK
Posts: 2,186
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast View Post
If I had just gotten something on 13 or above, I might have agreed. Watching people walk and gaze into your room on the 12th floor was just disconcerting.
Yeah 12th floor is just awful. We got here late Friday and leaving Sunday morning, so didn't feel the need to change. However, my wife (who, thankfully, is generally not a complainer), has made it clear to me the room situation sucks.

SO- takeaway for the Flyertalk community. If offered a Junior Suite upgrade: 1) Be aware it has interior views, and 2) do NOT accept the room on the 12th floor.

As others have said, the 2 upsides are: 1) It's very quiet, and 2) if you are someone who likes to sleep in and needs a dark room, you don't have to worry about any natural sunlight waking you up.
dave_261 is offline  
Old Apr 3, 22, 10:59 am
  #323  
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: San Diego,CA
Posts: 8,877
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast View Post
If I had just gotten something on 13 or above, I might have agreed. Watching people walk and gaze into your room on the 12th floor was just disconcerting.
Seem to remember weird shades or roll down coverings on the windows in the room.
Couldn't you just close them?Think I remember fair enough privacy once the shades were closed

Be fascinating to see what the refresh extensive renovation brings over the next few years
It has lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng needed a complete make over.The building is a historic gem but the rooms ugh for lack of better words in every way
Most of the interior doors would make fab fireplace wood to burn
About a hundred years ago prob the height of luxury
I remember getting an email from one of the GMs years ago saying they would put me in one of the newly renovated suites if I came back
Returned and was unimpressed.Remember "wheres the beef" this was "wheres the renovation"?
Though it was some kind of modest improvement at best @ the time
Without the Sporting Club I would have long been gone.I would kill to have a facility like that here in San Diego
its like a better Equinox equip wise without the snobbery and overpricing
777 global mile hound is online now  
Old Apr 3, 22, 11:24 am
  #324  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, World of Hyatt Globalist, AAdvantage Gold, United Premier Silver
Posts: 1,313
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound View Post
Seem to remember weird shades or roll down coverings on the windows in the room.
Couldn't you just close them?Think I remember fair enough privacy once the shades were closed

Be fascinating to see what the refresh extensive renovation brings over the next few years
It has lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng needed a complete make over.The building is a historic gem but the rooms ugh for lack of better words in every way
Most of the interior doors would make fab fireplace wood to burn
About a hundred years ago prob the height of luxury
I remember getting an email from one of the GMs years ago saying they would put me in one of the newly renovated suites if I came back
Returned and was unimpressed.Remember "wheres the beef" this was "wheres the renovation"?
Though it was some kind of modest improvement at best @ the time
Without the Sporting Club I would have long been gone.I would kill to have a facility like that here in San Diego
its like a better Equinox equip wise without the snobbery and overpricing
I tested the shades - you could still see what was being watched on TV from the Conservatory with them down. It didn't help that the TV was massive and very bright. I'm not watching anything bad, but having people so close in visible view was nerve-wracking.
ElevatorEnthusiast is offline  
Old Apr 3, 22, 4:34 pm
  #325  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Atlanta Metro
Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA, UA, BA, Hhonors Diamond
Posts: 2,029
Whoa, this place used to be a Park Hyatt? Holy cow.
I stayed there in August to use up the Amex $200 THC offer. Nothing was open then, and room service was limited and closed on weekends. Guy at checkin had a hard time finding me a room without a connecting door. The first room had one, despite his assurances, then the second one had non-functioning AC. Third room was OK. They were all quite large, by the way, but a little worn out as others have noted. I used my THC F/B credit on the grab 'n' go in the lobby, and one small room service order. Checkout clerk gave me 15K points when I mentioned the problems I had at checkin.

All it would take is a nice reno to make this place really great. Location is SO central with great access to transit.
hotturnip is offline  
Old Apr 3, 22, 4:52 pm
  #326  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 99,009
Is there much activity in the little shopping mall on the first floor? It used to have an interesting collection of generally somewhat elegant shores and food outlets.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Apr 3, 22, 6:11 pm
  #327  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: RDU
Programs: AA CK
Posts: 2,186
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Is there much activity in the little shopping mall on the first floor? It used to have an interesting collection of generally somewhat elegant shores and food outlets.
No the 'main' part of the building was completely deserted, and the food court and shops are are apparently closed.
dave_261 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread