Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Bellevue Hotel Philadelphia (Unbound; former Park Hyatt) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Bellevue Hotel Philadelphia (Unbound; former Park Hyatt) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2014, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, TK *Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Hello - we have a 2-night stay coming up at the Bellevue this weekend. Booked a cash+points stay and used a suite upgrade. They confirmed me into an Avenue Suite. It's going to be four of us traveling so was really hoping for the Bellevue Suite.

I read here that other Hyatt Diamond's had gotten the Bellevue suite. Did the hotel upgrade at check-in or were you guys confirmed in the Bellevue suite at reservation? The hotel currently shows the Bellevue suite as available for sale.

Thanks,
Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, TK *Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Just to update for anyone else interested.

The GP CSR said I was confirmed into an Avenue Suite. Got an email the next day from Hyatt saying I was confirmed in the Bellevue suite. The room itself is hugee! Hotel is nice, although def a bit dated. Parking at $38/night for valet was a bit much. To be fair, self park was $28 and I didn't bother looking for local parking in the neighborhood.

Originally Posted by Duffman
Hello - we have a 2-night stay coming up at the Bellevue this weekend. Booked a cash+points stay and used a suite upgrade. They confirmed me into an Avenue Suite. It's going to be four of us traveling so was really hoping for the Bellevue Suite.

I read here that other Hyatt Diamond's had gotten the Bellevue suite. Did the hotel upgrade at check-in or were you guys confirmed in the Bellevue suite at reservation? The hotel currently shows the Bellevue suite as available for sale.

Thanks,
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
I just checked in for four nights, traveling with wife and two small kids. Used the suite upgrade, confirmed to avenue suite. Asked at checking about Bellevue suite - it was available but a $50 a night upsell. The NOR system had offered a space available $60 upgrade from a base room at booking, so this did not seem like a great deal - basically just $10 value from the cert. The desk clerk said the certificate couldn't get me a Bellevue as it was already applied to the Avenue. This particular Avenue is a decent size but the only window faces inside to the atrium so rather gloomy.

On previous stays I got the Bellevue with the cert when the hotel was quieter. Over thanksgiving a couple of years ago I was confirmed to a Bellevue according to the phone agent but downgraded to an Avenue by the time I checked in. So for me, and maybe I have been unlucky, they will downgrade from Bellevue to Avenue if they need the room to sell but not upgrade the other way if it is available at check in.

I should say that I am back to Diamond after a few years mostly away from Hyatt thanks to the challenge, so maybe they are cutting me less slack during the trial period.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:16 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by ENIAC
I just checked in for four nights, traveling with wife and two small kids. Used the suite upgrade, confirmed to avenue suite. Asked at checking about Bellevue suite - it was available but a $50 a night upsell. The NOR system had offered a space available $60 upgrade from a base room at booking, so this did not seem like a great deal - basically just $10 value from the cert. The desk clerk said the certificate couldn't get me a Bellevue as it was already applied to the Avenue. This particular Avenue is a decent size but the only window faces inside to the atrium so rather gloomy.

On previous stays I got the Bellevue with the cert when the hotel was quieter. Over thanksgiving a couple of years ago I was confirmed to a Bellevue according to the phone agent but downgraded to an Avenue by the time I checked in. So for me, and maybe I have been unlucky, they will downgrade from Bellevue to Avenue if they need the room to sell but not upgrade the other way if it is available at check in.

I should say that I am back to Diamond after a few years mostly away from Hyatt thanks to the challenge, so maybe they are cutting me less slack during the trial period.
I'm not a fan of upselling Diamonds suites period if available and unsold
Except with some rare exceptions
After staying with this property since it became a Hyatt I will be staying at another brand in a suite for 5 nights without having to negotiate for an upgrade
This hotel continues to disappoint with the exception of the breakfast and the fitness/club partnership.
I will be accessing the gym though without staying at the property thanks to my health club and their partnership
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by ENIAC

When available at booking, they have always applied my DSU to a Bellevue Suite, so I hope this is just a front desk agent doing what they've been told re: upgrades and not an official change in DSU policy. I know this hotel gets a lot of mixed reviews, but it's still my favorite in Philadelphia of all the Hyatt and SPG properties because of the price and location (and breakfast at XIX of course). That said, I haven't been placed in an unrenovated room in several years so that probably skews my perspective a bit.

For next month I was able to get a BRG for $130/night for a 3 night weekday stay.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by spgplat21
When available at booking, they have always applied my DSU to a Bellevue Suite, so I hope this is just a front desk agent doing what they've been told re: upgrades and not an official change in DSU policy. I know this hotel gets a lot of mixed reviews, but it's still my favorite in Philadelphia of all the Hyatt and SPG properties because of the price and location (and breakfast at XIX of course). That said, I haven't been placed in an unrenovated room in several years so that probably skews my perspective a bit.

For next month I was able to get a BRG for $130/night for a 3 night weekday stay.
Appreciate the feedback
I've had some good stays here and one so horrendous I can't bare to share what happened publically. And I'm typically not shy about discussing matters
The hotel was better run in the past overall and don't disagree that at 130 per night you cant go wrong
The rates for my next stay are currently 200 dollars a night and the competing hotel where I am also a top tier member is considerably cheaper and has superior exceptional accommodation's.What site did you find your lower rate on?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:12 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Appreciate the feedback
I've had some good stays here and one so horrendous I can't bare to share what happened publically. And I'm typically not shy about discussing matters
The hotel was better run in the past overall and don't disagree that at 130 per night you cant go wrong
The rates for my next stay are currently 200 dollars a night and the competing hotel where I am also a top tier member is considerably cheaper and has superior exceptional accommodation's.What site did you find your lower rate on?
Agreed, at $200/night there are several other properties that begin to look just as attractive if not more attractive. My other two choices are usually the Westin or Le Meridien, which are both great hotels. The Westin always seems to be really expensive so I almost never stay there, but the Le Meridien is a great choice that's usually close in price to the Bellevue.

The rate is available on most of the usual suspects (hotels.com, expedia, kayak, etc.), but it looks like it requires a minimum of 3 nights before the price drops to $163 (BRG adjusted to $130).
Old Sep 9, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Amb, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Carlson Club Gold
Just had a 3 night stay at this hotel over the weekend.
Applied a DSU and was given the Avenue Suite. Would've asked about the Bellevue Suite, but it was not available for the entire duration anyway.

The location really is fantastic if one wants to be smack in the middle of Philadelphia (unlike the Four Seasons) and the parking, while expensive ($28/day for self-serve), is far easier than some of the other area hotels (e.g. Ritz Carlton which was valet only and requires blocking street traffic). The hotel has Starbucks in the same building and a food court open during the weekdays for a quick/cheap meal (but not really necessary seeing how many great restaurants are around it).

Service was a hit or miss. The front desk personnel were friendly, but we had a few issues with the stay that was truly disappointing. Due to glitches (it happens) and front desk mistakes (shouldn't happen), we ultimately had to be issued four separate tickets over a stay of three days. First, after the parking ticket machine glitched out, we were given some wrong information regarding the validity of our old ticket. Later on another ticket, it turned out that they processed the expiration time incorrectly. We had to be let out by attendants on three separate occasions.

They also failed with housekeeping on one of the nights. We were out late morning till 3:30 PM and came back to see that nobody had been there. We went down to request it be done asap and went out again. We came back several times but it wasn't done till 4:56 PM, almost 90 minutes after we had requested it. To top it off, housekeeping leaves at 5 pm anyway (so my appeal had no overall effect anyway).

Oh, and they also calculated the eligible spend incorrectly (lower than it should be, as all such *mistakes* seem to go) and a call had to be made to remedy the mistake.

Otherwise, the breakfast for diamonds is okay. No room service option, and the breakfast buffet ($20) per person basically consists of bacon, sausage, and eggs, smoked salmon, fruits, toast, and some pastries. The quality isn't too high. Would definitely have balked at paying $20 for it if it hadn't been included as a diamond.

As long as one goes for the convenience of the location and doesn't expect too much service-wise, this hotel should suit their needs.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 8:22 am

Just stayed here for one evening using Chase Annual free night certificate.
I wanted to book a points + cash so that I can use a DSU here but that was never available.

I was upgraded to the Avenue Suite by the hotel. According to the floor plan, my room is slightly larger than a DX2Q (Deluxe two queen?) and may be the same size as the living room part of the Bellevue Suite.

Overall the room is fairly large for entry-level suite, but there are many space that is not efficiently utilized. It is worth mention that the sofa in the living room can be pulled out as a king sized bed to accommodate additional people, which is not mentioned on the website. Though the restroom is inside the bedroom which can be awkward.

The hotel is beautiful inside and out with a historic feeling, and the room itself is nice and modern (or typical Hyatt room fashion if you will). However, the room design is not thoughtful. For example, there is no power socket near the bed nor the work desk. My electronics had to spend the night on the ground. Also, IMOO, the lightning in the room is insufficient and inconvenient.

The front desk mentioned that I may have my breakfast as room service. I choose to eat in the restaurant as XIX indeed is a beautiful place with great view. The breakfast selection is also typical hyatt. I went with a la carte and had the lobster and spinach omelet which is a bit bland. The lobster flavor is overwhelmed by the spinach and the roasted potato on the side.

Overall, I think this is a great cat 4 hotel and not a bad use of Chase annual free night in US ($75 vs $329 daily rate for the night).

PS:
During the check out, I was told that the hotel is planning some renovation and they have some "sample rooms" on the 12th floor. The agent mentioned that the renovation will fix the lack of convenient electricity outlets problems and even a completely new floor plan. Though, she did not mention when it will be completed.

Last edited by wanymayold; Nov 9, 2014 at 12:09 pm
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:56 am

Staying here for a couple of nights. Beautiful historic hotel that does not feel old or worn out. Hotel itself is sort of a maze in the Bellevue building. It is connected to a bunch of offices, shops, and a parking garage. Elevators can be a pain as there are only 2 that go to all the floors. There are 2 additional express elevators that go from the rooms to the restaurant (12 through 19).

Breakfast is wonderful, your typical Hyatt buffet with eggs, sausages, bacon, potatoes, pastries, fruits, cheeses, and salmon. You can also order a la cart if you would like as a Diamond member.

Best part of this hotel is the free entrance to the Sporting Club at the Bellevue. Not just your typical hotel fitness center, this place has everything you would want in a full fledged gym (check out the website: http://sportingclubbellevue.com/club-tour/). Was surprised and delighted to find out about the partnership.

Room itself was very spacious, with plenty of space in the closet and the bathroom. Beds were very comfortable.

Overall a great hotel in a great location.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by JunkDiver
Staying here for a couple of nights. Beautiful historic hotel that does not feel old or worn out. Hotel itself is sort of a maze in the Bellevue building. It is connected to a bunch of offices, shops, and a parking garage. Elevators can be a pain as there are only 2 that go to all the floors. There are 2 additional express elevators that go from the rooms to the restaurant (12 through 19).

Breakfast is wonderful, your typical Hyatt buffet with eggs, sausages, bacon, potatoes, pastries, fruits, cheeses, and salmon. You can also order a la cart if you would like as a Diamond member.

Best part of this hotel is the free entrance to the Sporting Club at the Bellevue. Not just your typical hotel fitness center, this place has everything you would want in a full fledged gym (check out the website: http://sportingclubbellevue.com/club-tour/). Was surprised and delighted to find out about the partnership.

Room itself was very spacious, with plenty of space in the closet and the bathroom. Beds were very comfortable.

Overall a great hotel in a great location.
Agree on all points however many rooms and suites are in rough shape and very much need some renovation
Old Feb 4, 2015, 12:30 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Agree on all points however many rooms and suites are in rough shape and very much need some renovation
The hotel rep on Tripadvisor is now saying that the remainder of the property will undergo renovations in Q4 of 2015. So four years after the suites and connecting rooms were renovated, the rest of the property is finally going to follow.

I'm curious whether this property will eventually be placed under the new Hyatt Centric flag, since it's one of the oddball non Grand/Regency properties.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 3:00 pm

Does anyone have the room numbers for the lovely renovated corner king rooms that have been mentioned here a few times? I'm hoping to request one for our stay tomorrow.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I received an email today that stays here from March 1 to June 1 will recieve a 2000 point bonus. The email was offered as "another option in Philly". It may be targeted to people who have stayed at Penns Landing in the past.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyInORD
I received an email today that stays here from March 1 to June 1 will recieve a 2000 point bonus. The email was offered as "another option in Philly". It may be targeted to people who have stayed at Penns Landing in the past.
registration required?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.