Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Mumbai / Bombay - GH & HR REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2010, 9:45 am
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
Just checked the maps and both are pretty far from Southern Mumbai. I'll probably stop for a day in each but then switch to another property in Southern Mumbai. Maybe the new Shangri-la, if it's open in time.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:03 am

There are quite a few like Taj, IC, Oberoi etc in south mumbai..
Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:28 pm

Current Stay at GH Mumbai

I am currently staying at the GH for a total of 18 nights. I used suite certificates to get upgraded to a King Suite/Verandah Suite. I thought I'd give a (subjective) update on the GH, focusing on the things that are important to me.

Location was one consideration for me. The hotel is in a relatively new development part of the Santacruz (East) area and I work in Vikhroli (West). It is about a 40 minute cab ride. The Renaissance would be closer but the Hyatt properties looked more appealing. The Grand Hyatt location is also more convenient than the Renaissance if you choose to go to Juhu (beach) or Colaba/South Mumbai (longer commute!). The hotel is close to the airport (as mentioned before) - if you arrive on an international flight after midnight the drive is a short 15-20 minutes. Plan on using more time during the day though. Walking around the hotel is definitely possible if you would like to; however, the Santacruz area with more restaurants/shops is a 10-15 minute cab ride away.

The room layout is nice, comfortable living room with desk, two-seater couch, two chairs and a coffee table. TV is a Samsung 42 inch flat-screen with 40+ international channels. Bedroom also has a Samsung 42 inch flat-screen TV. The bed is very comfortable with nice crisp soft sheets and several pillows that offer moderate to firm support. One thing to note: the closet/drawer space is relatively small compared to other hotels I have stayed at. Not a problem for me but it might be if you are traveling with your significant other.

The bathroom has a roomy sink area with plenty of space (definitely not a problem when traveling with your significant other!) and a wet area with shower and bathtub. The bathtub is big enough to fully submerge, and bath salts are provided every night. The shower has excellent pressure and temperature.

Floors 1-2 are the Grand Club rooms, the Club lounge is on the first floor but has stairs leading down from the second floor. The lounge is truly comfortable and has not felt crowded during my first eight days here. They serve a nice continental breakfast and a very good cocktail hour (from 6-8pm) with a selection of hot Indian snacks and a variety of bread/cold cuts/ daily changing appetizers (e.g. prawn cocktail, tomato&mozzarella, etc.). They generally have four desserts which are always outstanding. If it's important to you - they have an open bar and will serve you a variety of cocktails from what I could see.

The lounge also has a small business center with copy machine, two desktops with attached printers/scanners. They work well if you want to print documents (like boarding passes) - there is a small fee (I believe 35 Rps per page).

The lobby is truly gorgeous, vast, with great artwork. The restaurants are on one end of the lobby level. I have tried Soma and Celini so far, both offered very good food for reasonable hotel prices. The lobby has a concierge section and a check-in section. Every single employee will be happy to help you - I used the concierge to arrange hotel transportation or a private tour with guide. General check-in will be able to change larger bills into smaller bills (which is generally a good idea if you plan on taking taxi cabs on a regular basis). The hotel will hail a cab (a/c or non-a/c depending on your preference) from the outside for you and, depending on your destination, will determine a flat fare. The fare is slightly higher than your metered fare. I never had to wait more than 2-3 minutes for the taxi to pull up.

The spa/gym/pool entrance is on the ballroom level. The men's section of the spa has a small whirlpool, a sauna, and a steam room (in addition to your locker and shower section). The gym is fairly big and offers modern equipment, definitely sufficient for my basic workout. The pool offers comfortable lounge chairs and sufficient shade.

Overall it is a very nice property for my extended stay. I cannot compare it against other properties but I have found the service here to be outstanding. Staff started greeting me by name after two days, employees are always available and helpful. I have not encountered an incident where my requests have not been fulfilled. I will definitely consider staying here again next time I will be in business in Mumbai.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 6:52 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by Eule
Walking around the hotel is definitely possible if you would like to
I have to disagree with this, I don't think anyone is going to do any walking around this hotel. What is there to walk to?

The lounge also has a small business center with copy machine, two desktops with attached printers/scanners. They work well if you want to print documents (like boarding passes) - there is a small fee (I believe 35 Rps per page).
Yes, 35 Rps per page to print and I believe 20 Rps per page to copy, I had to print about 600 pages a couple months ago..ouch.

Generally, I really liked the GH, look forward to using a suite upgrade there at some point.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I am currently staying at the GH for a total of 18 nights. I used suite certificates to get upgraded to a King Suite/Verandah Suite.
I asked about using a suite upgrade here and was told Grand Suite.

How did you secure the Veranda suite? Was the the room you were assigned at check-in or was it confirmed in advance?
Old Jul 13, 2010, 4:07 am

so diamonds get complimentary airport trasfers with the upgrade to a club room in either of the hotels?

thanks.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:29 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Pacha
so diamonds get complimentary airport trasfers with the upgrade to a club room in either of the hotels?
This sounds in line with my experience.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 6:52 pm

any recent reviews? particularly interested in Diamond treatment (Regency Club offerings, upgrades, etc).
Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LT Titanium
Just finished four night stay

As a diamond, was upgarded to Club Floor (room was literally at the top of the stairs leading down to the Club Lounge. Room was larger than their regular club room so that was nice -- lighting is still an issue as is the lack of wireless Internet.

Was charged initially for the airport transfer (they wanted 2000+ rupees for a trip from the Intl Airport) but they took it off when I reminded them I was a Diamond.

Overall service is good -- however the hotel is so big and so busy that you dont really get that "personal service" here. Also avoid using the hotel's cars -- they are so overpriced it is ridiculous.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by ny747
As a diamond, was upgarded to Club Floor (room was literally at the top of the stairs leading down to the Club Lounge. Room was larger than their regular club room so that was nice -- lighting is still an issue as is the lack of wireless Internet.

Was charged initially for the airport transfer (they wanted 2000+ rupees for a trip from the Intl Airport) but they took it off when I reminded them I was a Diamond.

Overall service is good -- however the hotel is so big and so busy that you dont really get that "personal service" here. Also avoid using the hotel's cars -- they are so overpriced it is ridiculous.

In reading your report I'm having trouble understanding which of the properties you are talking about. Are you talking about the GH or HR?
Old Dec 18, 2010, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Here's my review, with photos, of the GH Mumbai:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...-hyatt-mumbai/
Old Oct 19, 2011, 2:00 pm

Grand Hyatt Mumbai

Hi folks,

Stayed at the Grand Hyatt Mumbai last weekend, my first visit to India! Here's my review:
http://travel.bart.la/2011/10/19/clu...-hyatt-mumbai/

Thanks!
Old Oct 20, 2011, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by gleff
Here's my review, with photos, of the GH Mumbai:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...-hyatt-mumbai/
Originally Posted by bartla
Hi folks,

Stayed at the Grand Hyatt Mumbai last weekend, my first visit to India! Here's my review:
http://travel.bart.la/2011/10/19/clu...-hyatt-mumbai/

Thanks!
I sort of take issue with the fact that you both link to your reviews elsewhere rather than posting the review here in the thread. For instance, one of you mentions that you found out in the thread about the complimentary airport transfer from this thread. But since you posted about the access to the spa to freshen up before your flight in your blog post rather than here in the thread, others won't benefit from your knowledge if unless they leave the thread and go to your post. I know you are both well-meaning, but it would seem to be better for the community if you would post the content of your review here in addition to including the link.

Just my 99 paise.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 5:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold

Has anyone recently stayed at both properties? Which would you recommend?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 7:57 am

The Regency if you need to be at the airport, the Grand if you need to be at BKC, and the Oberoi/Taj/Vivanta (in that order) if you are a tourist or need to be down south.

The service at both the HR and the GH are excellent. The rooms are small, but they are in most Mumbai hotels. I didn't go to the HR lounge but the lounge at the GH is excellent. Both are very nice hotels. But, seriously, due to the traffic, I would stay closer to wherever you need to be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.