Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Pickles
Maybe, but I wouldn't be so sure. Besides, at that point, if you're going to pay those kinds of rates, might as well get some value covered. Let's say that the "fair" rate of the GH San Francisco is $200, and the one at the St. Regis is $400. If the GH is $1,200 and the St. Regis is $1,400, which of the two is more guilty of price gouging? The 6x price scalper, or the 3x scalper?
This is not price gouging. It could be $1,000,000 per night and it would not be price gouging if it is supply and demand in a normal market.

Now if there were a natural disaster, then you can start talking about price gouging. A popular conference is not a natural disaster.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by JackE
A popular conference is not a natural disaster.
No, it's a man-made one.
caliform likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B

Grand Hyatt San Francisco is now sold out for Thu 9/27 presumably having sold their last room for around $1,000. Having checked the site a few times this morning, sometimes it says $1,009, and sometimes ‘hotel not available.’ So they’re undoubtedly down to their last room. But you can still get into St. Regis for $1,200. So if I was in charge of GHSF, I would feel good that I had posted the room for sale for the price that the market will bear to kacee’s point. And sold every single room.
The picture above was for September 27, actually. So they were quoting $1,400 a couple of days ago, now down to $1,000. For $1,200, I'll take the St. Regis over the GH at $1,400. And even at $1,000 for the GH. That dump doesn't deserve more than $200 at any time.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:44 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Pickles
The picture above was for September 27, actually. So they were quoting $1,400 a couple of days ago, now down to $1,000. For $1,200, I'll take the St. Regis over the GH at $1,400. And even at $1,000 for the GH. That dump doesn't deserve more than $200 at any time.
For those who spend their own money instead of OPM, they'd probably choose to stay out in the burbs and take the BART into town. You can buy an awful lot (a trainload? LOL) of BART tickets for $1100 a day.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
For those who spend their own money instead of OPM, they'd probably choose to stay out in the burbs and take the BART into town. You can buy an awful lot (a trainload? LOL) of BART tickets for $1100 a day.
Yea, that's probably the best bet!
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
I booked the Presidential Suite, got downgraded to a VIP Suite, got told "we upgraded you to the VIP Suite". When I said this is a downgrade, not an upgrade, I was initially told "but the VIP suite is bigger".

Looks like this is another one of these properties which likes to play games. A refund of the price difference was not offered. After I didn't accept the "we upgraded you" BS, finally the front desk lady said "you are absolutely right, I'm sorry, I will credit you some points".

It's very weird that they don't have any description for their most expensive room on their website - maybe so they can play games like that? The booking confirmation had it listed as the room with the sauna, called it "Luxury Suite" - as far as I know, only the Presidential Suite has a sauna in this property.

I assume they were able to sell the Presidential Suite at a much higher rate in conjunction with additional days, because of the JP Morgan Conference (it was listed at about 10k/night from Jan. 6 to 10 until a few days ago). They could probably sell it for 10k as well from 5th to 6th and might have thought "screw this Globalist from abroad, we will just tell him the VIP suite is an upgrade over the Presidential Suite, surely he won't notice". Because that's what I was told.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Football Fan
I booked the Presidential Suite, got downgraded to a VIP Suite, got told "we upgraded you to the VIP Suite". When I said this is a downgrade, not an upgrade, I was initially told "but the VIP suite is bigger".
Wow. I hope you eventually got the rate reduced. I would initiate a chargeback if they refused.

Consistent with my experiences at this property . . . all they really care about is high volume convention/meeting bookings. I still recall from my Globalist days the FDM telling me flat out "we are not giving you a suite" despite acknowledged availability.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
How did you book this suite- with strictly $ or just points? There is no way it's equivalent to a VIP suite. The Presidential is 2200sf vs ~900 for the VIP. I can't imagine them selling this suite for any amount of points. If you paid for it with cash, then there needs to be a major adjustment. Exactly how did you pay for it and how much?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
How did you book this suite- with strictly $ or just points? There is no way it's equivalent to a VIP suite. The Presidential is 2200sf vs ~900 for the VIP. I can't imagine them selling this suite for any amount of points. If you paid for it with cash, then there needs to be a major adjustment. Exactly how did you pay for it and how much?
Cash, about $ 1,000. The VIP suite was about $ 450 or so if I remember correctly. But the booking confirmation says 936 sq ft and "Luxury Suite". I guess they can choose to not make the meeting room available, then it is maybe 936 sq ft?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:36 pm

What do you think the appropriate compensation would be? Price difference plus xxxx (how many?) points for not providing the booked and guaranteed room type?

I just hate being played for a fool. "We upgraded you" when it is clearly a downgrade.

I'm staying here the next few nights in a regular room at like a $ 1,500/night rate (because of JPM). I'll get to a $ 10k bill here. Not very nice to be treated like that.

Last edited by Football Fan; Jan 5, 2019 at 10:49 pm
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
What do you think the appropriate compensation would be? Price difference plus xxxx (how many?) points for not providing the booked and guaranteed room type?

I just hate being played for a fool. "We upgraded you" when it is clearly a downgrade.

I'm staying here the next few nights in a regular room at like a $ 1,500/night rate (because of JPM). I'll get to a $ 10k bill here. Not very nice to be treated like that.
I've sent you a PM.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:26 pm

I just got a call telling me that the (regular) room I should move to for the next few nights is ready.

When I mentioned to the person on the phone that I would like to talk to the front desk manager about the downgrade for last night from the presidential suite to this one, he quipped "we don't have a presidential suite".

Their website begs to differ

He then said you already spoke to (person xyz) and they offered you 20,000 points (I don't remember any specific number of points having been mentioned). I said the room I am in would have been 500, 600 dollars less had I just booked that, what about that? No response.

I'll speak to the front desk manager in a while.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:04 pm

The front desk manager told me that they no longer have a Presidential Suite, but that that got broken up into two suites, and that "the renovation didn't get finished before my stay".

She refunded the price difference. I don't think she is giving me any points beyond that. I told her that the thing that bothered me was that I was told I got upgraded when it was actually a downgrade.

Anyway, I couldn't be bothered to spend any more time on that.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
The front desk manager told me that they no longer have a Presidential Suite, but that that got broken up into two suites, and that "the renovation didn't get finished before my stay".
Are they still advertising it on their website? Is it bookable?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
Are they still advertising it on their website? Is it bookable?
https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ca...co/sfous/rooms

I did end up getting 20k points as compensation, on top of the rate adjustment.
ryandc99 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.