Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2022, 10:48 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by CMK10

Lounge: The lounge is open for breakfast from 6-10 M-F and 7-11 Sat-Sun. I went for breakfast twice and the options were sadly pretty light. Day one had heuvos rancheros and potatoes, day two scrambled eggs and potatoes, so no meat either day. They also had two kinds of cereal, bagels, pastries and fruit. I did wish for restaurant breakfast which would be more filling but the views from here are stunning and service was great. They also had a really good coffee machine. At night they had an honor bar which had $5 beers and $7 cocktails. That was a nice touch.

Overall a great stay. I was worried when I booked it because of the reviews here but I ended up being very, very happy.
Thanks for the review. Makes me feel hopeful for our upcoming stay, although only in May, but maybe the breakfast will improve.
What was the evening spread like?
TIA
Old Sep 23, 2022, 11:33 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by projectmaximus
Nice review. But I noticed you said the two bathrooms both had showers "oddly," but then your photo of the living room bathroom was a tub (same experience as us).
You're right it's a tub. I meant it was odd to me the living room bathroom wasn't just a powder room with sink/toilet. That's what I'm used to with suites.

Originally Posted by 59Impala
Thanks for the review. Makes me feel hopeful for our upcoming stay, although only in May, but maybe the breakfast will improve.
TIA
I did not check out the evening spread. They just had peanuts out for the honor bar. Sorry I couldn't answer.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 10:34 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Stayed here this week, after staying at the HR SOMA a few weeks ago. Some thoughts:

Check in and room
As a Globalist I showed as pre-upgraded to a Club Level King on the app throughout the day of arrival, and the agent gave me that at check-in, despite an Executive Suite (marked as a "standard suite" on Hyatt.com) being available throughout the day and after I checked in. It was a solo stay and I arrived late so I decided not to make a fuss and maybe leave a suite for someone who could make better use of the upgrade, so I don't know how easily I would have gotten a suite if I asked, but a bit disappointing.

Room was nice enough though, seemed fairly modern (although maybe not super recently to judge by the absence of any USB plugs near the bed). I didn't have any issues with noise but the hotel also didn't seem very full. Nice views from the high floor, when the fog permits at least.

Club lounge
About the same experience as the other recent review. I haven't been to a Hyatt lounge in the US for quite a while so I don't really know how it compares, but relative to a lot of Bonvoy family lounges in the US I thought the breakfast spread was decent ... slightly different every day but seemed to always be plain scrambled eggs or egg whites, a potato dish of some sort, and some other egg dish, like huevos rancheros or various scrambles, plus the usual cold accompaniments. Never any standalone breakfast meat, if that's important to you, though most days the egg dish had meat in it. Certainly not restaurant breakfast, though.

Evening spread consisted of one hot protein and a side carb (one day fajita chicken with tortillas, another day chicken marsala with rice) and some little snacks like olives and nuts. Later in the evening they swap for "treats" which consisted of some cookies and little tarts, cheesecake bites, etc.

Gym
On the 35th floor with nice views, but on the small side for a hotel of this size. Maybe 10 total cardio machines and a few weight machines, plus a cable station and dumbbells (up to 75lbs).

Comparing to the HR SOMA
I liked the HR SOMA and would have stayed there again, but it was a good deal more expensive for this trip. I don't think I would pay a premium for one over the other, but personally I would choose the HR SOMA if the two were similarly priced in the future because:
  • I had a suite at the HR so I can't compare directly, but the style of the rooms there did seem a bit more recently updated and fresher, though both were okay
  • The gym at the HR is much bigger and more extensively equipped (like by double or more on both counts) despite the two properties having about the same number of rooms
  • The HR club lounge wasn't open when I visited but based on other reports since, apparently they are still offering the full restaurant breakfast buffet to club lounge guests, which was much more substantial than what the GH lounge offers
  • Personally, I find the HR location more convenient, but opinions can vary on that point. HR is more convenient if you want to use BART or Muni Metro, and a stay at the HR will probably involve fewer uphill walks than one at the GH. But, if you are concerned about encountering homeless people, the immediate area around the GH is probably a bit quieter in that regard. (The immediate area outside the HR was never an issue, but you can potentially walk a few blocks in any direction from the GH without encountering any homeless people, which is not very likely from the HR.)
kevino and zirtek like this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I'm here right now. At check-in, I was upgraded to the VIP Suite. Incredible views from the suite! Too bad my flight from Singapore was delayed. Would love to spend even more time in the room. No chance to try out the lounge as I'll be gone by 4 PM tomorrow. I'll post more of my thoughts later.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm here right now. At check-in, I was upgraded to the VIP Suite. Incredible views from the suite! Too bad my flight from Singapore was delayed. Would love to spend even more time in the room. No chance to try out the lounge as I'll be gone by 4 PM tomorrow. I'll post more of my thoughts later.
Glad to hear! I’m heading there next week after a four year hiatus. Hope the lounge situation is decent!
Old Dec 9, 2022, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Glad to hear! I’m heading there next week after a four year hiatus. Hope the lounge situation is decent!
I think you'll like it. I can't comment on the lounges at any of the Hyatts I've stayed in San Francisco as I often don't arrive until 10 PM or so. UA28 arrives so late that I'm forced to spend the night here. HR Embarcadero seems to show its age more, but excellent location. SOMA was nice, but I didn't get an upgrade. GH SFO’s hard product is fantastic and reminds me of a hotel from Asia. The breakfast sucks though. GH Union Square is in a nice location and the walk from Powell Station isn't that bad. No more than 5 minutes. I’ll have more time in January 2023 and I'm thinking of doing some hotel hopping in San Francisco.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 59Impala
TIA
Originally Posted by bgriff
Stayed here this week, after staying at the HR SOMA a few weeks ago. Some thoughts:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus
Stayed for a week
Originally Posted by lsquare
What's the elite recognition like?

Decent breakfast? Details?
What's the lounge food spread like in the evening?
Originally Posted by CMK10
Stay Report -
I'm currently at the lounge for breakfast and wow, what a joke. This is definitely the worse breakfast I've had at a Hyatt in San Francisco. More details later. I would rank SOMA, GH SFO, and HR Embarcadero (in that order) as better in terms of breakfast.

Last edited by peteropny; Dec 9, 2022 at 6:07 pm Reason: Removal of excessive quote
Old Dec 29, 2022, 12:12 am

Programs: Lots
Some good news for all of the carnivores out there, they had chicken sausage in the lounge for breakfast the other day. In my mind that’s more of a “meat” and the offerings are still pretty slim but may be more variety in the future. I thought the evening spread was actually well above average though. A very tasty soba noodle salad, some beans, crudités and chips with a pretty good onion dip as well as some chicken schnitzel type thing with a chili sauce. Easily enough to make a meal of.
59Impala likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Some notes from a overnight stay two weeks ago:

Arrived around 1030 and had to store my luggage as the room wasn't ready yet. This was no problem to me, so I left them with the storage room just off the front desk. I returned around 1430 and the room was ready, though it turned out to be a standard room. I wasn't too disappointed as I had plans to do stuff around town anyway, and it was just a one night stay, but a suite is always nice. Regardless, I was assigned to a room on the same floor as the Grand Club which was nice to avoid the hassle of waiting for the elevator.

I did not manage to visit the GC during the dinner service (I fell asleep watching Law and Order and woke up way past their hours), though the breakfast service was decent. There was no lox, unlike my last visit pre-covid, but it wasn't too bad. The service was friendly, though the staff made sure everybody scanned the QR code at the entrance to the lounge to register.

I like the GH despite its proximity to Union Square. There was no noise from the streets below in my room and the bed was quite comfortable. The trip from SFO is very easy via BART (I think the cost is around $10 now) and the walk wasn't too bad. Obviously SF has its issues with drug use and homelessness, but it didn't seem to be an issue. At the very least, the entrance wasn't like the "GH" NYC which was full of folks selling weed, the smell of piss and more. The rates were fairly reasonable ($160~), compared to the HR which has been ridiculous recently. Overall, a decent stay.

Old Apr 22, 2023, 9:38 am

Globalist upgrades are a bit of a joke now. Booked a one king bedroom and despite all the higher standard rooms being available was upgraded in a single category to one king city view. I totally understand that suites are booked but not even upgrading to the bay view or union square rooms is really cheap.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by olouie
Globalist upgrades are a bit of a joke now. Booked a one king bedroom and despite all the higher standard rooms being available was upgraded in a single category to one king city view. I totally understand that suites are booked but not even upgrading to the bay view or union square rooms is really cheap.
That has been my consistent experience at this property for many years. They would never give me a bay view. The one time I used a TSU here, I learned that the Grand Suite has no view and the bed shares a wall with the elevator core.

It would take a really cheap rate for me to ever stay here again.
olouie likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Did a quick 2 night stay last week. No upgrade as a Globalist but a room on the 31st floor with a nice view. Breakfast in the lounge is exactly as pictured in Dec 2022. The coffee machine definitively needs an upgrade/replacement.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 10:36 am

Terrible about globalist upgrade treatment. Meanwhile the HR upgrade to suites frequently and when not do give the best rooms. Next time it’s back to those properties. Love the HR bay view suites.
WasKnown likes this.

Last edited by olouie; Apr 22, 2023 at 11:04 am
Old Apr 22, 2023, 1:18 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
I‘ll be here in mid-May a report back. Using 2 TSU for 2 rooms. One is on points, so just double checked with MHC if suite is really confirmed. mHC told me, they seem to have booked a nicer suite,… we‘ll see…maybe a suite w/view.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 7:08 pm

Our SUA suite had a decent view. Not spectacular but certainly not a "no-view"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.