Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2018, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
I thought the Club floor rooms had hardwood floors and the electronic shades that the rooms on the lower floors don't have. ?????
Actually, you're right on the hardwood floors. I don't remember on the shades, but have no reason to doubt you're correct.

As a Diamond, I was given rooms on lower floors with club access, but perhaps they don't do that if you actually pay for a club room. So thanks for the clarification/correction.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 3:10 pm

That's what I was concerned about after reading this thread. I -could- pay 7k for access a night but if it's so crowded that it turns me off from the lounge then it completely defeats the purpose. And at the same time seems like there's a crowd that's against the HR as well. Tho what I don't mind is paying 20k a night for either property. Part of me feels I can take the 7k ($70 if I take cash) to go eat wherever I want as well, that maybe the lounge really isn't that important, but more just a nice to have.

I was just hoping to spend a day or two to unwind in an area where I can walk around and check out a few places around the hotel to unwind before I head home. I am not familiar with the city so I am also curious about the location between the two Hyatt options for someone who is looking for some aimless tourism for 2 days in the city.

I do have plenty of Marriott points too, tho I tend to use that for flights + nights packages for Alaska Airlines just so I can fly Cathay on F to Hong Kong. Part of me is wanting to hoard Marriott points for this reason, but I should also *spend* points to get value vs having a deathgrip on it all (and I am sitting on 500k points of Marriott points right now). So kinda a curveball question but is there a hotel you guys that you would -really- recommend outside of Hyatt/Marriott to throw in the mix?

I grew up in a Hyatt. Dad ran one for almost a decade. Yet here I am considering Marriott or something else as my brand mistress.... WoH y u du dis.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by dkavaichan
That's what I was concerned about after reading this thread. I -could- pay 7k for access a night but if it's so crowded that it turns me off from the lounge then it completely defeats the purpose. And at the same time seems like there's a crowd that's against the HR as well. Tho what I don't mind is paying 20k a night for either property. Part of me feels I can take the 7k ($70 if I take cash) to go eat wherever I want as well, that maybe the lounge really isn't that important, but more just a nice to have.

I was just hoping to spend a day or two to unwind in an area where I can walk around and check out a few places around the hotel to unwind before I head home. I am not familiar with the city so I am also curious about the location between the two Hyatt options for someone who is looking for some aimless tourism for 2 days in the city.

I do have plenty of Marriott points too, tho I tend to use that for flights + nights packages for Alaska Airlines just so I can fly Cathay on F to Hong Kong. Part of me is wanting to hoard Marriott points for this reason, but I should also *spend* points to get value vs having a deathgrip on it all (and I am sitting on 500k points of Marriott points right now). So kinda a curveball question but is there a hotel you guys that you would -really- recommend outside of Hyatt/Marriott to throw in the mix?

I grew up in a Hyatt. Dad ran one for almost a decade. Yet here I am considering Marriott or something else as my brand mistress.... WoH y u du dis.

The two Hyatt's are less than 10 minutes apart by taxi. The HR is in the financial district and is dead on weekends. But the hotel is just across the street from the Ferry Building which has a food hall. A ferry to Sausalito also departs from there and would be a nice excursion. Sausalito has a lot of small shops, scenic views of San Francisco, and some nice restaurants on the water. The hotel is also across the street from the historic streetcars stop where you can take an old streetcar to Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf, both touristy. But from there you can take the tour to Alcatraz which is VERY interesting. Advance reservations definitely needed. The Club at the HR is much larger so there is seldom overcrowding. The food offerings there are OK but not as good quality as those at the GH. Nice view from the Club here also. I haven't stayed there in awhile, though, because the rooms I have stayed in do not have the bathroom vanity closed off; thus, if I get up early and get dressed I disturb my wife. The bathroom arrangemenh is more like that at a Hyatt Place. You also have to make sure you don't have a room facing Market Street as there is a cable car terminus (the line goes nowhere interesting) there which operates, with noise, until 1 a.m.

The GH is in the center of downtown. In the middle of the shopping area with a large Macy's, etc. plus Union Square. It's a 3-4 block walk to another cable car terminus. If you want to take a scenic cable car ride, then take the Hyde Street line from there and sit oustde on the right hand side. It will drop you off at Ghiradelli Square, about a 3 block walk to Fisherman's Wharf. Good restaurant at the Wharf is Scomas. Lots of restaurants around Union Square or within a few blocks.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 1:52 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Great summary. The only thing I would add is that the public parking is a better value near the Grand Hyatt at the Sutter-Stockton garage, and the Hyatt Regency has suites with balconies.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:36 am

I couldn't decide between thrGH and HR for a forthcoming stay; reading this thread made it even more of a toss-up. But I booked the HR in the end.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:43 pm

Hotel is still playing extreme games with C+P.

Basically no availability for May, June, July, August and September for a variety of dates I checked. I know this is the busy time for the property... but found plenty of nights with $200/night rates and still no C+P or basic points available. Every room now seems to be an "upgraded room" with a view of something.

Hyatt on Twitter shrugged it off, as is the new WoH standard... noting the first C+P is "November 2nd - November 5th."

Interesting choice of wording as well -- "The points plus cash rate plan is subject to the availability and discretion of the individual hotel."

Last edited by dakdillon; Apr 15, 2018 at 6:08 pm
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:54 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
I see several points nights. Not much for c&p as those are discretionary.

Originally Posted by dakdillon

Basically no availability for May, June, July, August and September for a variety of dates I checked. I know this is the busy time for the property... but found plenty of nights with $200/night rates and still no C+P or basic points available. Every room now seems to be an "upgraded room" with a view of something.

Hyatt on Twitter shrugged it off, as is the new WoH standard... noting the first C+P is "November 2nd - November 5th."

Interesting choice of wording as well -- "The points plus cash rate plan is subject to the availability and discretion of the individual hotel."
Old Apr 16, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: HYATT Globalist Alaska 100k
Sometimes, call and talk to rep or ask your personal concierge to help you. Don't know how but sometimes they do convert P into P+C or submit request.
We stayed here last weekend. Upgraded to 3214. It was massive and gorgeous. Loved every single sq ft of it.
Club lounge was packed for breakfast.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Alexsth2011
Sometimes, call and talk to rep or ask your personal concierge to help you. Don't know how but sometimes they do convert P into P+C or submit request.
We stayed here last weekend. Upgraded to 3214. It was massive and gorgeous. Loved every single sq ft of it.
Club lounge was packed for breakfast.
They MUST deal with this overcrowding problem in the Club . They must have someone at the entrance verifying everyone's entitlement- and if anyone claims they have 10 children in one room, they must be turned away. Everyone checking in at the front desk in one room must be verified and put on a list by name which is verified when they enter the cluib. This has become simply way over the top at this property- and a few others. There is another thread about this issue at all Hyatt properties and it's hard to believe that some say they allow this and have no regrets.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Completely agree. Although I have a feeling that even if they did have someone checking at the entrance, it would still be overcrowded. There's simply not enough space.

And as difficult as it often is to find a seat, if you're by yourself, it's almost as difficult keeping it.

Last time I was there, a couple tried to move into the table that I was had been sitting at during the time that I got up to get another drink! In that case, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they assumed that I was leaving, but the overcrowding does create those types of situations.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by dakdillon

Um, that is not an interesting choice of wording, it is simply the truth. Hotels do not have to offer C&P. like they do all point awards. If you're seeing $200 all cash, seems like C&P is a poor value anyway.
Old May 7, 2018, 12:27 pm

Have a stay coming up this weekend (May 10 - 13) for Mother's Day. Wondering if anyone has stayed recently, and appreciate any recommendations on the hotel itself (i.e. if there is a section of the hotel or room type to request or avoid, etc.). I am a Hyatt Globalist, so hoping for an upgraded room (staying on points), though I'd prefer 2 beds, so wondering if that will eliminate most upgrade options anyway.

Thank you!

Last edited by ShaynaLeahK; May 7, 2018 at 12:29 pm Reason: Update for Hyatt status info
Old May 7, 2018, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by ShaynaLeahK
Have a stay coming up this weekend (May 10 - 13) for Mother's Day. Wondering if anyone has stayed recently, and appreciate any recommendations on the hotel itself (i.e. if there is a section of the hotel or room type to request or avoid, etc.). Thank you!
Most desirable rooms are those on a high floor, face the north bay and have spectacular views. Next best would be high floor facing south or east. Lower floors (say below 20) will have obstructed views.
Old May 28, 2018, 12:33 pm

Stayed on actual club level last week as a Globalist. While the club is crowded and people clamor for the 3 tables with a north view, service is very good in this club. New offering recently added: Canvas sparkling wine. First time I tried it. Very good, and this property charges indeed a truly nominal fee for wine: $3.
Old May 29, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Stayed on actual club level last week as a Globalist. While the club is crowded and people clamor for the 3 tables with a north view, service is very good in this club. New offering recently added: Canvas sparkling wine. First time I tried it. Very good, and this property charges indeed a truly nominal fee for wine: $3.
What about any headache or ill effects from the Canvas wine the next day? I will now sound snooty, but, I hate Canvas wines and will avoid them even if they are the only option. I would rather drink a Perrier sparkling water. My worst headaches and ill effects have come after 1-2 glasses of Canvas. Ok, maybe more than 1-2 glasses but still, nasty stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.