Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:40 am
YYC

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by rahmanbar
Wife and I have a four-day stay at GH-SF in July on the way back from Hawaii.

Have no status, but have been confirmed as uprading with points to a site.

Checking the site carefully, on the list of room variations they list as "suites"
-"Executive Suite" and "Presidential Suite".

From the description and the photo the Executive Suite would be 100% fine by us.

However, some digging causes me to wonder about what, in the listing of rooms they list is "Bridal-Hospitality." (There's also a mention earlier on in this thread as to the Executive being peferable.)

Is the Bridal-Hospitality a suite in the truest sense, or would it be two rooms veing made contiguous via a connecting entry way? One of the roomshousing a King Bed, the other a Murphy bed? .

Should we be requesting Executive over Bridal-Hospitality or vice versa?

I guess what I'm asking is, "which would be nicer" (and relatively obtainable) and should I make a concerted effort to get a good chance of getting it.

PS - Arrival from HNL will be in the evening and I don't see getting to the hotel before (:30 PM (if this makes a difference).

Any guidance will be appreciated.
I stayed at the GH SF for four days over the weekend.

I was able to confirm my upgrade upon reservation using one e-upgrade. Was told that I was upgraded to the 'executive suite'. Nothing special, it was two connecting rooms, one with a king bed and the other serves as the living room with a sofa bed and a dinning table. The bedroom was for the handicapped thus it has a large washroom. The living room was a bit smaller - I had to make my way through the furniture. The rooms were on the 23rd floor facing south (union square).

Haven't stayed at a bridal suite, but by looking at the description on its website, it looks to be larger than the Executive Suite by about 100 sqft?
Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:45 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Connector "suite".

I few months ago I booked this hotel. Before checking in for whatever reason or grace the room was upgraded to a connector suite. It was indeed two rooms of which one was a "parlor". Given Club access. As it was two rooms it was felt by all that it provided much more room especially since I only paid for a regular room. I have no idea what a true suite would look like at the GH SF.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Gold; OnePass; SkyMiles
Red face Mixed Bag

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Preface: I have a couple FFNs which I had not yet used. I thought this would be a good Hotel to use one on. I at first could only get a reservation at the HR SF and then a few days ago was able to get the GH.

Rate: FFN

Transportation: Just my feet. Walked over here from the Westin St. Francis. As a FYI. The City has a strike action at a number of hotels and this is one of them. When you face the front entrance there is a door off to the left up some brick stairs which is a much more quiet entrance. Between the Levi store and the GH. Pass by the Concierge desk over to check-in.

Check-in: This process is the worst I have experienced in years. The staff is incompetent. I called the front desk of this Hotel at 10:14 this morning to see if my room was ready. I was told guests had left and a rush would be put on the room. It would be ready in one hour. I went to the Hotel at 12:35 PM and after finally getting to the front of the line told the room was not ready. The gentleman looked at me funny as people denied speaking with me about the promised check-in time. A lady was found who had not been asked admitted speaking with me. I told the gentleman I needed to get back to a meeting. It was impossible for them to even get me pre-registered. I just called the Hotel at 1:57 PM and the room is still not ready. Will advise when checked in. I was told my room number and that it will be on the Club floor. I was finally able to check-in around 3:00 PM. As promised the room was on a Club floor w/ Lounge access of course.

Perks: Offered amenity as Diamond member. Took the milk and cookies.

Room: I was surprised to find the room larger than I thought. The room is a corner room so the bedroom area is a total box with a pop out area with vanity table, closet and bathroom. So a good size. The furniture is ok but dated with a large tv cabinet, a marble at the entry for small items, good size bed, couple of comfy chairs and work desk. The Lounge is located on the same floor. The Lounge has nice views of the bay and is a decent size. I took a look at 5:00 PM exactly and the room was full of people awaiting food items. A so so spread. All and all I was pleasantly surprised by the room and Lounge. The Hotels lobby is dated and needs a renovation.

Communication: Wired high speed internet was available for a price I believe. I noted a number of people using pcs in the Lounge so I assume they were able to catch a wi fi signal. Can someone advise if this is complimentary?

Closing: Once again pleasantly surprised with the room and size. The Lounge was ok with nice views. A better room and location than the HR. Better location than PH. A big plus being the Lounge which neither of the prior hotels has.
I have stayed here on numerous occasions, with mixed results. i have always found the concierge desk very helpful and friendly, and my rooms have always been clean and comfortable. on the other hand, the new downsized RC is quite cramped, and the service is totally robotic and uncaring in the RC, as opposed to the really first-rate RC staff at the airport HR or the entire staff at the PH SFO.
Old May 1, 2009, 8:43 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by mdusry
I have stayed here on numerous occasions, with mixed results. i have always found the concierge desk very helpful and friendly, and my rooms have always been clean and comfortable. on the other hand, the new downsized RC is quite cramped, and the service is totally robotic and uncaring in the RC, as opposed to the really first-rate RC staff at the airport HR or the entire staff at the PH SFO.
I don't understand the comment about the "new, downsized" Regency Club. I stayed there about a month ago and it was exactly the same size as it's been for years. And the same wonderful lounge concierge, David, was there. There is no way anyone could say he is robotic or uncaring; he memorizes everyone's name, runs over to help even if you drop just a crumb, and couldn't be a better representative of Hyatt. The only difference I noticed on my last stay was that there is no longer a hot food offering in the evening. Unless the lounge was redone in the past month into a small facility and David is gone, we can't both be talking about the same hotel.
Old May 1, 2009, 9:20 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
I don't understand the comment about the "new, downsized" Regency Club. I stayed there about a month ago and it was exactly the same size as it's been for years. And the same wonderful lounge concierge, David, was there. There is no way anyone could say he is robotic or uncaring; he memorizes everyone's name, runs over to help even if you drop just a crumb, and couldn't be a better representative of Hyatt. The only difference I noticed on my last stay was that there is no longer a hot food offering in the evening. Unless the lounge was redone in the past month into a small facility and David is gone, we can't both be talking about the same hotel.
Several years ago the RC was on the 36th floor and ran an entire side of the hotel with superb views. This area is now their restaurant since they sold the old location (now the Levi's store).
Old May 1, 2009, 10:46 am

I've been staying at this hotel since 1998. The Regency Club has always been in the same place. And it is almost one whole side of the building with spectacular views of Coit Tower, Alcatraz, and the north bay. Nothing has changed at this club within the last several years, other than what's offered.
Old May 1, 2009, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
I've been staying at this hotel since 1998. The Regency Club has always been in the same place. And it is almost one whole side of the building with spectacular views of Coit Tower, Alcatraz, and the north bay. Nothing has changed at this club within the last several years, other than what's offered.
When did they first start having a computer and printer in one of the alcoves of the lounge? Thanks.
Old May 2, 2009, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by Markie
Several years ago the RC was on the 36th floor and ran an entire side of the hotel with superb views. This area is now their restaurant since they sold the old location (now the Levi's store).
Yeah, I remember this, too. GrandViews the restaurant was on a lower
floor and part of it overlooked the street, if I recall correctly. I vaguely
remember even having dinner there, once, many many moons ago. The
RC was on the 36th floor, to the left of the bar lounge as you got out of
the elevators. I remember on some visits, the confusion as people looking
for the RC ended up in the bar, and vice versa (trying to get past the cardkey
RC door). I also recall with a shock how "small" GrandViews became when they
moved it to the old 36th floor RC location. But all this is really ancient history --
which makes me really ancient, too. Many years...
Old May 25, 2009, 9:54 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Just a quick comment - checked in on Sat 5/16 for 4 nights. Arrived early around 1230PM, the preblocked room wasn't ready so they found a room that was ready for us on 28th floor - got GC access as expected. Now that "bad" part, even though we were on a non-smoking floor the guest in the "connector" room decided to smoke (quite a bit over the 3 days). Made 3 complaints to the front desk - by the third complaint it was handled and they readlily agreed to "compensate" me with 5000 points in lieu of the non-smoking room guarantee.

So all in all, a decent stay but after staying at St Regis, I think that we may have found our new SF "home".
Old Jun 10, 2009, 5:40 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
15 points

I am looking for a hotel in SF. Can anyone give me a feel for the kind of room I will get for 15K GP Points per night? Is it worth the upgrade from 12K. I've never stayed there so forgive my ignorance.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 6:18 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by thebat
I am looking for a hotel in SF. Can anyone give me a feel for the kind of room I will get for 15K GP Points per night? Is it worth the upgrade from 12K. I've never stayed there so forgive my ignorance.
15k points per night will get you a room with Grand Club access (possibly on the same floor although possibly not). The Grand Club basically gives you a continental breakfast - evening appetizers and dessert - and soft drinks all day long - note that there is a charge for alcoholic beverages. The rooms are basically the same as those at 12k points - decent but unremarkable.

Your profile does not say whether or not you are Hyatt Diamond - if you are, just use the 12k points - since you'll most likely get Grand Club access anyways.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 7:39 am

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Had a short one-night stay recently and it was my first time in GH SF. I usually stay at the Hyatt at Fisherman's Wharf when in town. All in all, it was a decent stay but nothing to write home about. Got a room on the 33rd floor facing north. The room was decent size, clean but uninspiring. Although I have requested the robe and slippers to be placed in the room (and the FD agent informed me that those are the standard amenities in GC rooms) they were not in the room when I checked in (nor were they brought later upon request). GC is really small for a hotel of this size and it was packed around 7:30 PM when I arrived. I actually had to wait ~5 mins for a table. Based on the GC layout it looks like they converted 2 regular rooms into a club - by no means sufficiently large. I can concur that the concierge desk is very helpful.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 9:49 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Here is a 40 second YouTube video of view looking south and east from 36th floor Grand Views lounge. The view north is better and west looks out to Golden gate on clear days, but the place was packed and I couldn't get near the windows on this trip to the hotel.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum; Mariott-Platinum Premier; Hyatt-Diamond;Hilton-Gold; Avis-First; Hertz-Presidents
Stayed at the Grand Hyatt several times. Upgraded to a suite once for Diamond status. Overall good hotel. Spacious rooms. Hepful staff. Small concierge room for size of hotel. Small lobby too. Good location. Love the view overlooking Union Square.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 3:25 pm

I just had another great stay at the Grand Hyatt also. I agree the club is a bit small for the number of people who use it. Hot appetizers are gone, but the cold ones they had were as good, if not better. Very attentive staff throughout the hotel. The lobby is not huge, but is seldom crowded or noisy. Breakfast at the Grandviews Restaurant was outstanding. And, of course, the views from most rooms are terrific.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.