Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Dec 8, 2015, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Had another stay there last week, just a 1-nighter. Usually I go for breakfast right when it opens because I'm still on Midwest time, but this trip I tried to go at 8am. Wow, was that a mistake. A very crowded club lounge... if I wasn't heading out to our office with my suitcase, I would have just taken my plate of fruit and bowl of oatmeal back to my room.

I find that the upgraded guest rooms are really comfortable and the upgrade keeps them from being tiny, and everybody on staff always seems to try hard.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Just had another great stay here. BUT:
1) Check-in is chaotic for Diamond members. They have printed on the floor in front of the check-in desks that everyone queues up there. There's no separate line for Diamond/Platinum members, despite the fact that one desk has a Diamond/Platinum sign on it; but there's no way to get to it without pushing others aside. So, we all just have to wait our turn in line. When there's no line, of course you can go to the dedicated line right away, unless they are helping a non-elite member. They need to have dedicated line on the floor, as they do for non-elite members, and when ever anyone is waiting, a dedicated agent.
2) The Club has simply outgrown its space. 5 p.m. and it's jammed with no way that people can sit together, other than possibly at bar stools. Like the Front Desk, it's chaos. This is a typical observation from Diamonds staying at this property. The place needs to be at least 50% larger. The Club should really take up a large space on the 36th floor which used to be a bar and restaurant and now is rented for weddings, etc. David is great, but he's overwhelmed trying to find seats for guests. The evening offerings are meager, compared with the HR San Francisco and the HR SFO Airport.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 8:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
I'm spending the night here and once again I'm reminded why I don't like SF Hyatt's, the properties and clientele are certainly of a lower level than what you see in NYC or other major International Cities. The atmosphere in the club reminds me of a YMCA family pancake mixer in Modesto or Bakersfield... kids running around, adults and kids displaying bad manners around the food and beverages. They just brought out the desserts and a swarm of kids have devoured it in less than 20 seconds. It was sort of like a pack of Gremlins attacking Santa.

There really should be an age limit, 15 and older only.

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Just had another great stay here. BUT:

2) The Club has simply outgrown its space. 5 p.m. and it's jammed with no way that people can sit together, other than possibly at bar stools. Like the Front Desk, it's chaos. This is a typical observation from Diamonds staying at this property. The place needs to be at least 50% larger. The Club should really take up a large space on the 36th floor which used to be a bar and restaurant and now is rented for weddings, etc. David is great, but he's overwhelmed trying to find seats for guests. The evening offerings are meager, compared with the HR San Francisco and the HR SFO Airport.

Last edited by Radiant Flyer; Dec 29, 2015 at 8:45 pm
Old Dec 30, 2015, 5:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
In the club now and it may indeed be reaching new lows. Never seen it this crowded mid-afternoon. No cookies, just a bowl of fruit. I'm going to get out of here before they put the food out . . . it could get ugly.

Might as well add . . . 1st time in a suite here (Executive Suite) and not impressed. It's just two rooms stuck together. Furnishings are exactly the same, with addition of a sofa and a leather armchair. And they've taken the cheap way out with the bathrooms, and just left two very small ones rather than combining them into one nice one.

Last edited by Kacee; Dec 30, 2015 at 5:34 pm
Old Dec 30, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
There really should be an age limit, 15 and older only.
I couldn't agree more. Put an age limit and it will resolve most of the issues of overcrowding and general craziness.

Had a nice stay last night but too crowded in the lounge. Last week at the Embarcadero location the lounge served as a racetrack for all the kids!

Too bad David wasn't around last night, but was in a minor accident. According to the staff he is doing well, and we shouldn't worry.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:11 pm

When I was there last week there were no children in the Club and it was jammed packed. It's just plain too small for a hotel that size -and, unlike the Hyatt SFO Airport- doesn't seem to have a lot of large groups which usually self cater and/or don't qualify for Club admittance. The problem with inadequate seating has been there for a long time and isn't just related to the holiday period.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
according to many previous posters in this thread, can i assume that club lounge here is nothing comparable to club lounges in Asian properties? (ex. No free alcoholic drinks, poor breakfast, poor evening offering, service also not that good, fully packed most of the time, etc.)

IMHO, it means that no club lounge available at this hotel.

Can i have breakfast at downstair restaurant instead as a diamond? will they allow me to do so when the club lounge is fully packed?

(I was booked into an Executive suite using DSU for a 4-night stay in late march. My rate is 192 USD plus taxes per night)

p.s. sorry for my poor english.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
according to many previous posters in this thread, can i assume that club lounge here is nothing comparable to club lounges in Asian properties? (ex. No free alcoholic drinks, poor breakfast, poor evening offering, service also not that good, fully packed most of the time, etc.)

IMHO, it means that no club lounge available at this hotel.

Can i have breakfast at downstair restaurant instead as a diamond? will they allow me to do so when the club lounge is fully packed?

(I was booked into an Executive suite using DSU for a 4-night stay in late march. My rate is 192 USD plus taxes per night)

p.s. sorry for my poor english.
The Clubs in the U.S. are quite different from those in the rest of the world. They are usually smaller, do not offer free alcohol and mostly offer minimal food. There are exceptions and in the San Francisco area the Hyatt Regency San Francisco Embarcadero and the Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport have evening choices which could constitute a dinner.

It is not usual practice to offer breakfast to Diamonds in the restaurant when the Club is full. It would be an exception and you would have to ask at the time. I've noticed the Club at this hotel is less crowded in the morning than in the evening.

There is really no service in the U.S. clubs. David, the Club host at this hotel, is very friendly but everything is self serve.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 8:04 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
Perhaps you should withhold judgment until you've actually visited.

The lounge at GH SF is quite nice. It's tastefully furnished with comfortable seating. The views of the city and the bay are spectacular. And the breakfast quality is very good for a US lounge.

The problem here is indeed lounge size. It is completely overwhelmed at breakfast (and during the evening happy hour). Unless you arrive very early (within an hour of opening in the morning) it is difficult if not impossible to find a place to sit.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Perhaps you should withhold judgment until you've actually visited.

The lounge at GH SF is quite nice. It's tastefully furnished with comfortable seating. The views of the city and the bay are spectacular. And the breakfast quality is very good for a US lounge.

The problem here is indeed lounge size. It is completely overwhelmed at breakfast (and during the evening happy hour). Unless you arrive very early (within an hour of opening in the morning) it is difficult if not impossible to find a place to sit.
I always get a survey do complete at every Hyatt I stay at. Everyone staying at this hotel has to complain about the Club- that it needs to be at least 50% larger and the morning and evening offerings need to be improved. Poor David has a difficult time coping with all of this, as gracious as he is. The place is consistently just too small.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K / AA EXP / VX Gold / WOH Globalist / SPG Gold / HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Everyone staying at this hotel has to complain about the Club- that it needs to be at least 50% larger and the morning and evening offerings need to be improved.
I agree 100% about the size of the Club at the Grand Hyatt being way too small.

I just returned from a night at the HR SFO Airport and their Regency Club seemed to be larger than the GH Club Room. Yet these are two much different hotels with much different rates and amenities.

There should also be a limit to add'l members allowed with a single Diamond member. I have seen groups of families in a different HR Club dressed in Seahawks jerseys watching the games (and taking up space), forcing others to be turned away. A reasonable limit should be put in place, IMHO.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum
For all those many, many people complaining about the Grand Club being small, you might like to know that it was even smaller just a few years ago. The area looking east use to be a guest room, I believe. I remember thinking that it was larger and nicer after the enlargement. I think it was 6 or so years ago.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 4:37 pm

[QUOTE=StirredNotShaken;26038856]
There should also be a limit to add'l members allowed with a single Diamond member. I have seen groups of families in a different HR Club dressed in Seahawks jerseys watching the games (and taking up space), forcing others to be turned away. A reasonable limit should be put in place, IMHO.[/QUOTE

You are right- people go in the clubs and their heads are glued to the TV set. They should remove all TV's from clubs. If you want to watch a game, do it in your room or a bar. And yes, this club was about 25% smaller a few years ago.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 6:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
[QUOTE=JIMCHI;26039570]
Originally Posted by StirredNotShaken
There should also be a limit to add'l members allowed with a single Diamond member. I have seen groups of families in a different HR Club dressed in Seahawks jerseys watching the games (and taking up space), forcing others to be turned away. A reasonable limit should be put in place, IMHO.[/QUOTE

You are right- people go in the clubs and their heads are glued to the TV set. They should remove all TV's from clubs. If you want to watch a game, do it in your room or a bar. And yes, this club was about 25% smaller a few years ago.
I think the purpose of the club is a space to provide 'exclusive' Diamond member guests a place to hang out. I don't agree that there should be more rules to stipulate what you can and cannot do in the club. The point has been made....the club at this hotel is too small for the size of the hotel.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
I think the purpose of the club is a space to provide 'exclusive' Diamond member guests a place to hang out.
At this club, the main purpose is to satisfy the breakfast benefit. Which this hotel is in my opinion not doing, because in many instances you cannot take breakfast in the lounge due to no seats available.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.