Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA Plat (0.09 MM), SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
Suggestions for booking a July 25th stay

Looking to book a points stay for Sat 7/25. Need 2 beds. Will reach Diamond right before this stay.

The only room available on points at the moment is for king bed. Call HGP and they weren't really able to help ... advised me to book the room on points and then at check-in I could confirm 2 beds (if available). Called the hotel directly and they said they can change my points reservation a few days before check-in to 2 beds.

Should I be nervous about the lack bed type guarantee? Would it help to contact someone specific at the hotel?

Any suggestions on next steps?
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hyatt Residence Club, HH Gold
Has anyone used the 'Hyatt Mobile Entry' offered here? Are all room key systems compatible or only a subset of the rooms? Only certain floors or room types? Got an email to try it for an upcoming stay and wondering if its worth it?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by rs2015
Has anyone used the 'Hyatt Mobile Entry' offered here? Are all room key systems compatible or only a subset of the rooms? Only certain floors or room types? Got an email to try it for an upcoming stay and wondering if its worth it?
As I have inside knowledge on this one, all rooms have it. Several others will be rolling it out also, Hyatt Ohare is also capable but not sure if they have rolled out yet. But several several Hyatt's are ready to go, and a few Hyatt Places also.

I can't say much more, but it really is a neat thing.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hyatt Residence Club, HH Gold
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
As I have inside knowledge on this one, all rooms have it. Several others will be rolling it out also, Hyatt Ohare is also capable but not sure if they have rolled out yet. But several several Hyatt's are ready to go, and a few Hyatt Places also.

I can't say much more, but it really is a neat thing.
Thanks for the info. I didn't want to be limited to only certain rooms if all didn't have the mobile entry.

I used it this past week and like the convenience of it.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:41 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Anyone have a email address for this Hyatt. My old contact is no longer with this Hyatt
Old Oct 11, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I just completed a three night stay here. The stay went well but not without some disappointment. The disappointment centered around the grand club breakfast. Over the three days I was here there was literally no variation in the offerings... not that there is a lot that can be done with offerings like that but normally in the grand clubs that I've stayed in there would be an effort to have some kind of a rotation on the hot dish (a hot dish is a brand standard for the Grand Clubs at the Grand Hyatts I believe)--every day it was (typically cold) scrambled eggs. Today they ran out of oatmeal more than 30 minutes before closing and it was not replenished. Lots of items would not get replenished. Clearly there are some major cost saving measures going on here that are really diminishing the breakfast.
I only did the evening service once. It seemed fine but nothing noteworthy one way or the other.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 4:47 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
After one night of unacceptable lounge diamond breakfast ask for restaurant comp or roomService Comp. had both offered last stay. ( probably the 20th night here this year. ) so you might have to ask.

Imo they bend over to accommodate me and this is one of my favorite American hyatts cause of the service.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 8:30 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life, Hyatt Discoverist (ex CC), Marriott Titanium, Miles& More Senator
Just completed a three night stay, must say whilst the lounge staff try...the service is below par due to too many guests and no seating place. Was never offered an alternative, was just standing around and eventually left and had a bite at the cafe on union square...
Old Oct 22, 2015, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by greatbelgian
Just completed a three night stay, must say whilst the lounge staff try...the service is below par due to too many guests and no seating place. Was never offered an alternative, was just standing around and eventually left and had a bite at the cafe on union square...
This is one of the main reason why the Regency San Francisco is the better property. The Grand is the nicer hotel, but the rooms are smaller, the club is significantly smaller and the Regency tends to be a bit cheaper as well, not only in Gold Passport currency.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by FD1971
This is one of the main reason why the Regency San Francisco is the better property. The Grand is the nicer hotel, but the rooms are smaller, the club is significantly smaller and the Regency tends to be a bit cheaper as well, not only in Gold Passport currency.
The Regency is certainly a nice hotel, but it certainly doesn't have the updated features of the Grand. The Clubs are quite different: the one at the HR is very large and I've never seen it overly crowded. The food offerings are very good. Views from the rooms vary greatly as does noise from both Market and Drumm Street sides of the hotel. A good 50%+ of the rooms don't face these streets. The hotel has an immense atrium lobby, but it's fairly sterile once they removed all the plants from the balconies a number of years ago. Rooms with the balconies are wonderful as they are fairly large. My big problem with this property is that in all the rooms in which we have stayed, the dressing area/sink is off the bedroom. My wife needs "excessive" time to get "put together" in the morning and thus wakes me up with noise and lighting. This is my only major complaint with this very nice property. It's like a Hyatt Place setup. A cable car terminus is outside (creating noise for those facing Market Street) until 1:00 a.m. The California Street cable is a fairly uninteresting ride vs. the Powell Street ride (near the HR).

The GH is a smaller-feeling hotel. It was totally updated a few years ago and it was done VERY well. The rooms, especially on the Club floors, are just gorgeous and very up to date. Very tall (with great view from floors 20 & above) with many fewer rooms per floor. I've never felt I'm in a convention hotel, despite the fact that they are there. The lobby is quite intimate and calm. The Club is not large enough for the hotel, as others have noted. The HR tends to monitor more closely who comes into the club during peak times so that "Joe"who has brought his 27 relatives/friends with him, but who don't have Club access, don't get in. Seating is definitely a problem here that Hyatt must address with a larger Club or by closely monitoring who gets in. The food offerings are are OK but nothing terrific and not of the quality that's at the HR. The bathrooms here do have a door, but they are glass. Someone being in the bathroom is less disturbing than at the HR, but lights (but not noise) do shine somewhat into the bedroom.

Locations are quite different also. HR is in the financial district but also just across from the Ferry Building (great marketplace) and the subway and historic streetcars which will take you to Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39. The GH is on Union Square - a very fashionable shopping area, a huge Macys, and a three block walk to the cable car terminus at Powell & Market.

We like both properties and we stay at each at least once or twice a year. It just depends upon what you want of your visit. Please PM me if I can help in any way. We've been staying at both of these properties for about 25 years.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FD1971
They are both seriously flawed properties.

I prefer the GH because the rooms at HR are so oddly and sparsely furnished and I've had noise issues every time I've stayed.

Hyatt really needs to up its game in SF. Or maybe not. Prices have been absurd lately - seeing $400-600 per night pretty regularly all fall, even when there's not a major convention in town.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by Kacee
They are both seriously flawed properties.

I prefer the GH because the rooms at HR are so oddly and sparsely furnished and I've had noise issues every time I've stayed.

Hyatt really needs to up its game in SF. Or maybe not. Prices have been absurd lately - seeing $400-600 per night pretty regularly all fall, even when there's not a major convention in town.
corp rates are in the low 200s.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by austin_modern
corp rates are in the low 200s.
I've wondered about that. I can understand $500/night during Dreamforce or Openworld, but otherwise who's going to pay that much for either of these properties?

I just booked a couple nights for early November at Fishermen's Wharf ($234) b/c both GH and HR are over $400/night. I have to be at Civic Center and it's actually about the same amount of time by Uber or taxi.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:07 am

GH SF trip report

Family stayed at the GH after thanksgiving / Black Friday.

Made the reservation with the diamond line for c&p. Requested double beds & early check in.
Called back morning of arrival to diamond line to confirm the double beds & check in and was told it was in the notes to the hotel.

Arrived at hotel, no notes, no double bed room reserved, early check in not ready (note this was at noon, not super early check in )

Parking at the hotel is $67 for valet or $41 for self park in same garage a block away.

Was given a club card to get a snack for my travelers and left a number for a room ready text.

Returned to hotel around 6pm (text did come through as well as a question I had asked that required research was answered earlier but we were out in the city).

Stopped by the Club Lounge to grab a quick drink and a snack. The place was mobbed. No food, all the beverages (soft) gone. No check in enforcement ( honor list that I signed but then watched 3 more groups come in after me and not sign in).
No food available at all. But more did come out while we were having some wine. People lined up with 3 plates each and every bit was gone in minutes. Later some desserts came out and people were loading up multiple plates stacked high.

The club staff seemed harried to keep up with it all and apologized to many people but given the posts on this issue, it doesn't seem to be an isolated case.

Room is adequate but nothing special (no diamond upgrade available)
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by travelinjoe
Arrived at hotel, no notes, no double bed room reserved, early check in not ready (note this was at noon, not super early check in).
Not surprised, service is very hit or miss and the issues with lounge overcrowding are well documented. Management obviously doesn't care. SF hotels are raking it in these days.

Originally Posted by travelinjoe
Called back morning of arrival to diamond line to confirm the double beds & check in and was told it was in the notes to the hotel.
Best practice would be to contact the property, not Hyatt reservations. As a Diamond, I've always gotten a personalized e-mail from front-desk staff at this property in advance of arrival. That would be the opportunity to confirm room arrangements.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.