Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2014, 2:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by angatol
I've found the club food pretty meagre here and prefer to stay at the regency where it's much better.
+1

Better Regency Club at the Hyatt Regency. I also prefer the rooms at the Regency, especially the ones with a balcony overlooking the bay.

The Grand has always been cramped, starting from the public spaces to most rooms and the club.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 8:54 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Ok knock off the bickering!!

Peteropny - co-mod - Hyatt
Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:12 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I had a stay here this weekend. Wow to the food devaluation. This property used to have a great Grand Club food selection. My last stay was in August, and then, as it always is, has great food options in the lounge.

It is clear that there was some type of change in management/food choice quality here. I will be staying at the regency next time as the food choices there are much better.

I will also be following up with management here as this hotel has always been a notch above when it comes to the food choices in the lounge - both breakfast and dinner hours.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 5:45 pm

I was also here this past weekend, and the lounge food has been discussed, but I'm always impressed with the diamond food & beverage amenity. If it's not arranged by email in advance, there's a slip of paper with your options at check-in and there are various bottles of reds/whites/vodka in addition to different food plates to choose from ^
Old Mar 10, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by RTW1
What's your problem (apart from being from home too long and not eating right)?
There was a post complaining about the crappy offerings in a lounge, that's it wasn't a decent dinner and then someone asking why people would have dinner in the lounge.

If the quality in the lounge (in a US property) is enough for you as a decent dinner, good for you. But most people prefer something a little (or a lot) better for their evening meal. It might be decent enough as a snack with a drink, but even that is pushing it.
As someone who frequently doesn't desire a large or elaborate dinner, good dishes in a Regency/Grand Club are frequently more than enough for me. The Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport is a great example of a Club which offers two salad choices, appetizers, hot soup, a hot entree and desserts. Sometimes I like a restaurant dinner, many times I don't. The appetizers at the Grand Hyatt, I agree, would be more of a snack, but for some people that's more than adequate. There is certainly great variation between the many Hyatt Clubs.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
I"m here at this hotel again tonight... I don't know the guys names in the Grand Club... but he is wonderful!!! Hyatt you need more like him.

We sort of had a conversation about the food... he agreed the food has been downgraded. Perhaps a few emails to this hotel will bring it back up??? never hurts to try. Since the renovation It's an awesome hotel, I love it... but the club needs some attention, we had corn dogs tonight, yes pretty bad... come on SF Grand Hyatt you can do better!

This is San Francisco... not Dallas!!!
Old Mar 16, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
I"m here at this hotel again tonight... I don't know the guys names in the Grand Club... but he is wonderful!!! Hyatt you need more like him.
Likely its David.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum
The big dude is David, and the little fellow is Jimmy.
While the evening is seriously downgraded, the breakfast is still grand - even better than the Regency since the GH also has decaf cappuccino, decaf green tea and plain Greek yogurt in addition to all the other stuff - hot egg dish, oatmeal, dry cereal, fruit, smoked salmon, etc. which both hotels have. Also, the evening libation prices are very very reasonable.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:21 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
After my stay last week, I filled out the survey honestly about the downgrading in Grand Club at dinner time and how disappointed I was with the club, based on previous experiences.

I got a call on Friday from the executive chef. He apologized profusely and promised that things would start to improve immediately, he mentioned he has been visiting the club nightly. It sounded like they had a few departures in the middle and that may have caused the hiccup.

Overall, I am hoping things will be improved before my next stay here in 3 weeks.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by angatol
All my food is on expenses, so the cost doesn't come into it. When you're away for 2 months at a time, eating out every night soon loses its interest.
So are mine, but I'd prefer not to eat a lot of the unhealthy crap food that lounges in the US normally lay out - especially for a full meal. If I'm sick of restaurants, I'd rather stop in at something like Whole Foods or some takeout to eat in my room.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 6:08 am

I'll be shortly staying at this hotel. So will some colleagues, each in his own room. I'm diamond but they are not. How many guests am I allowed to bring into the lounge?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 6:12 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

According to the rules, none.....since they aren't registered to your room. You can always try though.

But maybe it's time to be a little less greedy on your Diamond trial.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
According to the rules, none.....since they aren't registered to your room. You can always try though.

But maybe it's time to be a little less greedy on your Diamond trial.
Far from being greedy... I'm actually paying for extra stays that I won't be otherwise be incurring just to meet the 12 night trial requirements... obviously I play by the rules hence the desire to have the rules clarified and not be presumptuous.

While I do thank you for providing insight as it helps me understand a program that isn't familiar to me, the same cannot be said of your judgement.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 7:12 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
While I do thank you for providing insight as it helps me understand a program that isn't familiar to me, the same cannot be said of your judgement.
The information you were looking for is very easy to find on the GP pages describing your Diamond benefits (see footnote 2 and 3). I always think it's a good thing to read the basic rules of a program you are joining.... and for the rest, offcourse your whole company should get free drinks and food because of your shiny card . So don't worry about my judgement, it has been wrong in the past....

In reality most (US) hotels don't pay that much attention who gets into the lounge though.

Last edited by RTW1; Mar 24, 2014 at 7:52 am
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:52 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
I'll be shortly staying at this hotel. So will some colleagues, each in his own room. I'm diamond but they are not. How many guests am I allowed to bring into the lounge?
Officially status perks are only extended to registered guests in one room - so you could register 4 guests in your room (including yourself) and ensure lounge access or restaurant breakfast for 4 - but the room charge would most likely be higher. Unofficially most properties will grant status perks for more than 1 room but of course this is YMMV.

You do not say how many rooms you are talking about, if it's 2-3 rooms it is likely but if it's 10 rooms, I doubt it.

Also, any request for confirmation of extension of the benefit to more than 1 room will be declined and rightfully so since it's against T&C and creates precedence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.