Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

GH Shanghai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

GH Shanghai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old May 2, 04, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by npei
If you ever stay there, try to reserve corner room. The views of city skyline at 70+ floor up is pretty nice. The bathrooms are pretty funky and minimalist-futuristic also.
Provided the windows have been recently cleaned, and the pollution levels are low. Shanghai pollution is ridiculous. It makes Mexico City in the mid-80's look like LA in the 1940's.
Old May 3, 04, 10:40 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
I agree the windows were filthy!!, but the hotel was great. The RC was one of the best I have ever seen.
Old May 4, 04, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
I agree - in a city of architectural daring, the Shanghai Hyatt is a truly fine hotel.
Old May 4, 04, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA-2P, Hyatt-Plat, SPG-Gold, Marriott-Silver, Delta-Boycott
look up!!!

A friend of mine told me to go there for drinks and I would get quite a surprise.

All I could say was "Holy S***"

It was awesome.
Old May 7, 04, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by jkc22
It is an amazing view from top. Even more striking is the interior atrium view. It's a very excellent hotel, and certainly one of the most tastefully decorated ones in China (R-C is old and boring, Okura Garden is also too dated, Hilton and Marriott tends toward monotomy, Westin tends toward hyperbole....one of the LEAST tasteful hotels in the World, IMO.)

Anyway, the Jin Mao Grand Hyatt has consistently been my preferred choice in PVG for many years. Highly recommended!!!
Grand Hyatt is the best in Pu-Dong.

If you have to do business in another side of the river, try JW Marriot Tomorrow Square at Shanghai. Another great hotel to stay in Shanghai and it's in Pu-Xi area.
Old May 28, 04, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime
We will be staying there in July. Will the Grand Club be closed at that time? Also what are the best views and room types to get? We will be getting two rooms for 3 people each...also looking into getting a suite. Any thoughts on currents promotions available for Hyatts in Asia? (Also going to Beijing and Taipei)

Thanks!

Last edited by SkyTeam777; May 28, 04 at 4:42 pm
Old May 28, 04, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
We will be staying there in July. Will the Grand Club be closed at that time? Also what are the best views and room types to get? We will be getting two rooms for 3 people each...also looking into getting a suite. Any thoughts on currents promotions available for Hyatts in Asia? (Also going to Beijing and Taipei)

Thanks!
I think the Grand Club will be open during the summertime (in fact, I've never recalled the Club at the GH Shanghai being closed). The best views are definitely the Bund View rooms (they face the Huangpu river, and you get a good view of the Bund, especially of the lights at night). The Hyatt, having 88 floors, you'd be tempted to get a high-level room. However, beware...during foggy/smoggy days/nights, you can't see anything from the high rooms. And, it is my distinct impression that the rooms on the higher flooors (say, above 75th floor), are smaller (probably because the hotel tapers in towards the top). So, if you're looking to fit three people into a room, don't take the higher-floors. On the other hand, the suites are VERY nice. YOu should definitely go for one, but don't expect it as an upgrade...they are infrequent, even for a frequent guest.

Noticed your comment you will also be in Beijing and Taipei. The Grand Hyatt Beijing is quite nice as well, quite central. Rooms are modern and new, good size. I've only been there a few times, so I don't have many comments.

As for Taipei, although I've stayed at Grand Hyatt for the last 10 years, I now actually prefer the Westin. I think the rooms are bigger, and being Starwood Platinum, they have ALWAYS 100% upgraded me to a suite. The Executive Lounge there probably has the best buffet breakfast spread I have ever seen...I think many will agree?! Price-wise, Westin is about 15% less expensive than the Hyatt Taipei.

Have fun on your trip. I'll actually be in Beijing and Shanghai Grand Hyatts next week, so if you have any specific questions, I can check for you.
Old May 28, 04, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime
Thanks!! Right now, Im leaning toward the GH in Shanghai and the St. Regis in Beijing. I am still wondering about the GH in Beijing though, I have read great things about it. Also, I am very confused between the Westin and the Grand Hyatt Taipei. Some posts say one is great and the other not so great, and others vice versa. Im leaning towards the GH, but am wondering which has the better location for tourist sites.

I look forward to hearing your recent impressions! Have a safe and wonderful trip!
Old May 28, 04, 10:23 pm

Never stayed at the St. Regis Beijing yet, so I can't comment on it. In Beijing, I've stayed at the new Hilton, the China World, and the Peninsula Palace...and I must stay that I still prefer the Grand Hyatt.

In Taipei, I think both hotels are within reasonable distance to most tourist sites within the city. Besides, taxis are plentiful and cheap, and there is now a subway system, so travelling around shouldn't be too bad. Nightlife would probably be a bit better near the Grand Hyatt thought...they've got the Warner Bros. cinema, some shopping malls, and the new Taipei 101 nearby within walking distance. At the Westin, things get more quiet at night...but that's fine with me.
Old Jun 1, 04, 6:34 am

What is the difference between the Bund and city views? It looks like we are going to get city view because of the suites available during our stay. Which is the more famous view? Which one has all the city lights that you see on the hotel's web site? It seems like that would be the city view. What is the Bund anyway, the river?

Thanks so much to all who have been there and are sharing their experiences
Old Jun 1, 04, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is the difference between the Bund and city views?
that's a good question since the bund is between the hotel and what most of us would consider "the city". but, iirc their "city view" rooms face east toward the airport and north towards the old stock exchange.

What is the Bund anyway, the river?
the bund refers to the enbankment on the west side of the river. photos of the bund are often touted as textbook examples of western colonialism in asia at the turn of the 20th century.

the east bank of the huangpu is also a nice place to visit these days (and very convenient to the GH) -- a little less touristy than the bund and pleasent gardens to boot.
Old Jun 1, 04, 8:00 pm

So is this the Bund View?

http://shanghai.grand.hyatt.com/shagh/photo_26.html

Are there any big skysrapers in the city view at all? or is it just flat and boring? Anyone know of any "city view" pictures?

Thanks!
Old Jun 1, 04, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yes

Are there any big skysrapers in the city view at all? or is it just flat and boring? Anyone know of any "city view" pictures?

Thanks!
keeping in mind that i too i'm slightly in the dark about what they mean by "city view", you can see plenty of buildings from the other side of the hyatt such as mjm's hsbc building, the boc tower, and the china life tower. however, it's safe to say that none of these are landmarks, even in the modern sense of the term. some pretty neat buildings are under construction/development in lujiazui, including the contraversial mori building (slated to be the world's tallest assuming noone else steals its thunder), but they certainly won't be ready in time for your trip.

incidentally, if you're interested in shanghai's masterplan, you might want to check out the urban planning exhibition hall while you're there. it's at 100 renmin ave in people's square. among other things, they have a ~200 sq. m. model of the city that shows what the government envisions its city will look like in the next 10-20 years. there's also some historical stuff if that floats your boat.
Old Jun 7, 04, 8:43 am

Programs: Skyhigh Airlines Platinum for Life
GH Shanghai questions

I'm booked on a club room in this hotel and have a few questions:

* Do all the rooms have WiFi service?
* Do I have lounge access all day long or just for the breakfast? ( I have no Hyatt status)
* On which level are the club rooms?

I want to take the maglev train from PVG into town. Will I get a taxi to the hotel without hassle at arrival, and how much would that be?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 7, 04, 10:21 am

You may want to do a search in this forum for a wealth of info on the hotel.

However, to answer your questions (I just checked out of the Grand Hyatt Shanghai today):

1.) No WiFi (wireless internet) access in the rooms. However, there is high-speed broadband at RMB 5.00/minute up to RMB 120.00/24 hours. The speed of the connection seems slow at times, just like a 56k modem!

2.) If you booked a Club Room with access to the Grand Club Lounge on the 83rd floor, then you will get access for your entire stay. Breakfast is served 6:30 - 10:30am, and a happy-hour buffet is served from 5:30 - 8:30pm. I don't know whether any food is served during lunch hours since I've never been there during these hours. The breakfast is free for Club members; you can invite one guest, and will be charged the continental breakfast rate. The HH buffet is also free for Club Members; one guest is allowed for RMB 138.00.

3.) Club Floors: I think they have Club Floor rooms on low floors and high floors. The hotels rooms start around 57th floor and go to 83rd, I believe. I got Club Room on the 79th Floor this time. Here's a hint if you are travelling alone and don't mind sleeping in a smaller bed: ask for a twin room rather than a king or queen. The rooms seem bigger for double beds.

4.) Maglev Train: I think quite a hassle to take this train. Arriving at the airport, it is only recently that you can walk out to the train terminal. Previously, I've heard that passengers had to take a five-minute bus ride. I didn't notice any signs from the Arrivals Hall to the Maglev Train Station. You need to go out Exit Doors 1, 2, 3, or 4 and you will be connected to a walkway to the train station. The walkways are one level above the Arrivals Halls and one level below the Departures Hall. Tickets are RMB 50.00 one way, but if you have a flight ticket for that day, then the tickets are RMB 40.00. Trains run at 15-minut intervals. The train takes just under 8 minutes to get from the airport to Long Yang Station. Top speed is 430km/h, but you sustain this speed for about 2 minutes only. The speeding up and slowing down takes most of the 8-minute trip. Upon arrival at Long Yang Station, you can take a taxi to the Hyatt; the trip should be about RMB 25.00 for the 15-minute ride. So, basically, you have to get out of the Arrivals Halls, walk a long way to the Maglev Station, wait for the train to depart, travel for 8 minutes, get out of the train station and transfer to a taxi, and then another 15-minute ride to the Hyatt. I did it in 45 minutes. On the other hand, I've taken a taxi during non-rush-hours from the airport to the Hyatt in 35 minutes; it was less than RMB 100. So, I'm not sure whether the Maglev train is worth the effort. I've heard the investment in the train was USD 35 billion (is this true?); it's quite a flop and definitely not worth it.

Last edited by Fly Me To The Moon; Jun 7, 04 at 10:23 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: