Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Shanghai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Shanghai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by atakam
Had 2 one night stay this week. As a Globalist didn’t get upgraded the first night and low floor room (62) and in the second stay was upgraded to a suite (70th floor).
This property has nothing special, besides being on a tall building. The staff is very plain, don’t want to connect with frequent customers. I ‘ve stayed here almost 30 times in the past 3 years. Which property do you recommend in Shanghai for a Globalist? Now that I have to travel to Shanghai every month.
Since you're SPG PLT, best options are Le Royal Meridien by People's Square and JW Marriott Tomorrow Square. LRM is usually cheapest of the ones mentioned here. LRM food and wine selections are better than JW in the club. Both are across the big squares from each other at the intersection of Nanking Ease/West Rd and on People Square Metro stop. Hyatt locations re not the best in Shanghai. GH and PH are OK if you need to be in Pudong.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 8:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CIT85
Since you're SPG PLT, best options are Le Royal Meridien by People's Square and JW Marriott Tomorrow Square. LRM is usually cheapest of the ones mentioned here. LRM food and wine selections are better than JW in the club. Both are across the big squares from each other at the intersection of Nanking Ease/West Rd and on People Square Metro stop. Hyatt locations re not the best in Shanghai. GH and PH are OK if you need to be in Pudong.
I strongly advise against the LRM until the construction is complete.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by moondog
I strongly advise against the LRM until the construction is complete.
Construction has been going on for a while. Any indication when they might be completed?

The issue of construction problems is why I stayed at the JW Marriott in Sept., although the wine selection at the JW Executive Lounge is pretty poor.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:31 am
Suspended

Thinking about redeeming points for a stay here. I'm not a Globalist with Hyatt so won't get any benefits.

How is location of the hotel for a 1st time visitor to Shanghai? I'm also considering the Courtyard Marriott Shanghai.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by kapooncha
Thinking about redeeming points for a stay here. I'm not a Globalist with Hyatt so won't get any benefits.

How is location of the hotel for a 1st time visitor to Shanghai? I'm also considering the Courtyard Marriott Shanghai.
You've asked about the location in other threads. The answer hasn't changed.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:35 pm
Suspended

You've asked about the location in other threads. The answer hasn't changed.
I don't recall asking about Grand Hyatt before.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:54 pm

I don't recall asking about Grand Hyatt before.
You asked about CY Pudong v CY Zhabei. While the GH is better located than the former, it is still in Pudong.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:09 pm

Considering multiple properties in Shanghai, would love to stay at the GH or four seasons Pudong but if im there for leisure is there any benefit to staying in Pudong over Puxi
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by bstv69
Considering multiple properties in Shanghai, would love to stay at the GH or four seasons Pudong but if im there for leisure is there any benefit to staying in Pudong over Puxi
A lot of Chinese tourists actually prefer Lujiazui to the older districts in Shanghai because it symbolizes modernity, prosperity, and pride (the tallest building was built by a Chinese contractor). I have not met any westerners who share this view. In fact when I have out of town guests, I usually allocate a single afternoon for the aquarium (world class, and lots of fish species that you don't see in other parts of the world), Binjiang Park, and Flair (the restaurant/bar at the top of the RC; best view in town IMO). On the way back, we either take the public boat for Y2 (poor man's river cruise) or the Bund Sightseeing Tunnel for Y30 (yes, that's a rip off, but it does put you right on the Bund).

People are generally satisfied with the above, and don't feel the need to cross the river again unless they are Disney fans (fyi, Disney is close to PVG, not Lujiazui).
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:46 pm

A lot of Chinese tourists actually prefer Lujiazui to the older districts in Shanghai because it symbolizes modernity, prosperity, and pride (the tallest building was built by a Chinese contractor). I have not met any westerners who share this view. In fact when I have out of town guests, I usually allocate a single afternoon for the aquarium (world class, and lots of fish species that you don't see in other parts of the world), Binjiang Park, and Flair (the restaurant/bar at the top of the RC; best view in town IMO). On the way back, we either take the public boat for Y2 (poor man's river cruise) or the Bund Sightseeing Tunnel for Y30 (yes, that's a rip off, but it does put you right on the Bund).

People are generally satisfied with the above, and don't feel the need to cross the river again unless they are Disney fans (fyi, Disney is close to PVG, not Lujiazui).
Thank you for the info. I have been eyeing the Four Seasons for the pool but not sure I can even justify moving around for that since it seems like there isn't much on the Pudong side as you have highlighted. Thank again
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by bstv69
Thank you for the info. I have been eyeing the Four Seasons for the pool but not sure I can even justify moving around for that since it seems like there isn't much on the Pudong side as you have highlighted. Thank again
If you're traveling during the summer months, and like swimming, I highly recommend finding a hotel with an outdoor pool. The Portman pool is my favorite in Shanghai because it is indoor/outdoor, and has a great lawn area. The JW Marriott at Tomorrow Square is my second favorite because it has great views. The Zhongshan Park Ren isn't nearly as nice as these, but room rates are lot cheaper.

Last edited by moondog; Dec 29, 2018 at 9:02 pm
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:00 pm

If you're traveling during the summer months, and like swimming, I highly recommend finding a hotel with an outdoor pool. The Portman pool is my favorite in Shanghai because it is indoor/outdoor, and has a great lawn area. The JW Marriott City at Tomorrow Square is my second favorite because it has great views. The Zhongshan Park Ren isn't nearly as nice as these, but room rates are lot cheaper.
Thank you, unfortunately will be there in February so don't think it will be too warm.
Currently have the Puli booked via FHR and was looking at four season or GH for a night or two but might just extend the Puli or a hotel on the Bund
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Here right now. The Club Lounge is a total zoo with the usual shenanigans of Chinese guests such as the use of cellphones on loudspeaker, watching movies without headphones, children throwing food around. Management couldn't care less and still doesn't enforce any code of conduct.

Talked to the GM about this exactly a year ago and was promised things would change, unfortunately absolutely nothing has changed and no rules are enforced. Staff ignores the bad behavior of the guests to the dismay of those who seek to have a quiet breakfast or evening cocktail.

Will use Hyatt on the Bund from now on, enough with this crap at the GH Shanghai.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:11 pm
Suspended

If you're traveling during the summer months, and like swimming, I highly recommend finding a hotel with an outdoor pool. The Portman pool is my favorite in Shanghai because it is indoor/outdoor, and has a great lawn area. The JW Marriott at Tomorrow Square is my second favorite because it has great views. The Zhongshan Park Ren isn't nearly as nice as these, but room rates are lot cheaper.
I was looking at the JW Tomorrow Square. Wish I would have booked before the Starwood merger completed as award rates really got jacked.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:10 pm

I was looking at the JW Tomorrow Square. Wish I would have booked before the Starwood merger completed as award rates really got jacked.
I think you'll pleased by the Courtyard Zhabei because it is a nice hotel and the nearby subway station is very useful, but if you are drowning in Hyatt points, the https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...sls-hotel.html should definitely warrant consideration. I haven't been there yet, but I dare say the location is the best of all Hyatts in Shanghai:
-as noted earlier, I eliminate the PH and GH because they are on the wrong side of the river
-the Hyatt on the Bund is not on the Bund, and is kind of isolated
-the Andaz is fine, but Xintiandi honestly isn't especially interesting (I used to live there, and still work there)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.