Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Shanghai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Grand Hyatt Shanghai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old May 8, 2012, 2:28 pm

I am thinking of switching to PH, although it's more expensive. I learned from the other thread a FTer using DIA upg cert was given a diplomatic Suite at PH. At least PH doesn't have such view/non-view discrepancy, so there is better chance I can request a suite with good view.
What a laugh! Sending this from the PH restaurant on the top floor. Can't see more than 20 meters! It's like the old pea soupers that used to shroud London when they still allowed coal burning fireplaces.Been trying to get a photo for days without success.
Old May 8, 2012, 10:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by uppereastff
Been trying to get a photo for days without success.
Feel free to look at mine while you're waiting. LINK
Old May 29, 2012, 8:11 pm

Programs: Singapore Air, Delta, United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Starwood
Airport hotel transportation

My wife and I traveling with a lot of luggage looking for suggestions regarding reliable reasonably priced car service available to and from the International Airport to the Grand Hyatt Shanghai. Hotel charges CNY 1600 round trip.
Old May 29, 2012, 8:35 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
I went thrrough this recently with this hotel. They quoted 800 RMB for a one way sedan transfer. I thought it was a ridiculous price and ended up taking a taxi for 160 RMB. Not the nicest car, but 800 RMB is insane.
Old May 29, 2012, 9:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DCP913
My wife and I traveling with a lot of luggage looking for suggestions regarding reliable reasonably priced car service available to and from the International Airport to the Grand Hyatt Shanghai. Hotel charges CNY 1600 round trip.
If you are willing to wait an extra few minutes, the dispatcher can fetch you an Expo taxi, or even a van.. price is the same 160 that GB paid for all, but van taxis are very rare these days.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:36 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by gum
So my recommendations for the stay:
+ Book any Club room if commercially/money feasible
+ Before booking the room you should call Hyatt Gold Passport and ask them if there is availability on the requested dates for the 3,000 points certificates for the upgrade for up to four nights to the Club rooms. So you could book the non club room and upgrade this during reservation.
+ If you dont have the 3,000 points in your GoldPassport account just buy them (think they are about 54 Euros per 3,000 points, you can buy them in increments of 1,000 points for approx. 18 Euros)
Does the Diamond status upgrade you to a Club room? Or do you still need to use the 3,000 points?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 6:11 am

Programs: SQ PPS *G, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Discipline
Does the Diamond status upgrade you to a Club room? Or do you still need to use the 3,000 points?
As a Diamond they should grant you access to the Club Lounge even if there is no Club room available to upgrade you to.

I stayed here last month and was assigned a Club room on the same level as the lounge. I booked the cheapest pre-paid (Non-Club) rate at Hyatt.com.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Here's a link to a review of my last stay at the GH. Had a great stay, despite the uncomfortable mattress in the King Suite that I was assigned to. Grand Club was terrific ^

Great hotel for unique pictures.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Here's a link to a review of my last stay at the GH. Had a great stay, despite the uncomfortable mattress in the King Suite that I was assigned to. Grand Club was terrific ^
Thanks for the GH Shanghai review. Just timely as I will be there in late October.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 9:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Dia; MR Gold; SPG Plat; UA Plat; US Silver, *A G
Great View, Terrible Mattress

Just spent 1 night at the GH Shanghai, booked with points, assigned King Room that I booked no upgrade. Room was fine for 1 night, would have been tight if staying more than that. Bedroom was tiny, despite having long entry foyer. Was given access to Grand Club Lounge but not assigned a room on the Club Floor.

Pros--great views, completely empty spa/pool area on a Friday afternoon. Took a leisurely swim and had a massage. Grand Club is excellent. The views at night are to die for, the service and staff top notch.

Cons--the mattress was so hard I barely slept, it was horrible, good location if you are doing business in Pudong, however, I much preferred the Hyatt on the Bund location in terms of easy access to restaurants, etc that we wanted to go to.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:32 am

Spent 4 nights at the GH Shanghai. Booked a paid King Room, using my award ticket to upgrade to Suite.

I told them in advance that I need a baby cot for my 16 months baby and a extra bed for my 4.5 years child. They did that as can be seen in the photo:

What surprise me is the arrangement of difference size slipper for my 2 little children:

And the baby laundry toiletries:

Location is good. 5-10mins walk to a big mall with supermarket, restaurants, shops. We use mainly taxi. So, it is convenient.

View is good from the room and the Grand Club.

Very comfortable pillow and bed. Didn't find the mattress hard.

If you have questions on this hotel, just post it here. Will try my best to answer.

Staff service is good. Command of english is not so good, except for a few. I can speak Mandarin. So, that is not a problem for me.
Sydneyberlin likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:54 am

I was at this hotel the weekend of Jan 12, and check in again this past Friday and am staying for the week.

Edited on 2/13 to add that I just checked in again, this time for four nights.

This hotel is really very nice.

I used Diamond suite upgrades and received a very nice suite on the 85th floor my first two stays this year. It's pretty cool to think that this was the highest hotel room in the world before the SWFC (where the PH is) was build in 2008. When it's a clear day (1 day out of 5 or so), the views are great. Some days you can't even see the TV tower.

This time I got an awesome renovated suite on 64. Apparently only a few of the suites are renovated, and they did a nice job. One thing they fixed was the clock / control panel next to the bed. In the non-renovated rooms, I couldn't figure the alarm clock out. This new set-up seems much easier. Plus, there are now two entrances to the bathroom, one from the entryway and one from the bedroom. Makes it easier if people are over.

Also, the office area of the new room is improved. The desk now faces the windows so one can look out instead of at a wall.

The lounge is very nice. However, when I'm not at this hotel I'm at the Westin Bund Center, and that lounge might be the best I've ever seen (previous best was PH Melbourne). Nothing against the GH lounge - it really is great, just that there are other nice ones too.

I had thought I'd have to try out the PH one weekend and see how it compares, but now think I'll just stay here when convenient. As a return guest here, they treat me very well.

Last edited by johnep1; Feb 13, 2013 at 3:04 am
Old Feb 15, 2013, 4:39 am

Figured I'd write a bit more about this hotel as I sit in its lounge on 83.

First - everyone at this hotel is extremely nice. I've only been here a few times but they treat me like family. Just based on this I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone needing or able to stay in Pudong.

Second - the rooms / views are some of the best out there. I know others have said this, but on a clear day (yes, sometimes this is rare) the view of the river / Bund area is unreal. And the rooms are some of the nicest I've seen (granted, I've only stayed in suites, but I was shown one of the renovated non-suites).

Back to the drink table now....
Old Feb 15, 2013, 6:18 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Have a nice time

Originally Posted by johnep1
Back to the drink table now....
IMHO its the best hotel/property of the world!

Enjoy your stay.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: Singapore Air, Delta, United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Starwood
Model of Excellence

ONE OF THE TOP HOTELS ANYWHERE - OUTSTANDING MANAGEMENT AND CUSTOMER SERVICE TEAM !

view slideshow at:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4Vl...it?usp=sharing

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.