Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Austin DT/Town Lake REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency Austin DT/Town Lake REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old May 1, 2024, 12:26 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Frab1
I am coming to Austin at end of May and curious whether people would prefer the Hyatt Regency, The Otis, or JW Marriott?

I lived in Austin for a bit back in 2011, so I know the town and my way around a bit. I am bringing my significant other who has never been to Texas before and I was planning to show her the UT Campus, 6th Street, Barton Springs Pool for swimming, and probably drive some of the days with a car to do a bit of river tubing and shopping in San Marcos and lots of barbeque and breakfast tacos and maybe show her the lake. Hence, my main concerns are getting a good (ideally modern) room in a relatively central location and parking. She would love free breakfast although I think we could just drive somewhere to do breakfast tacos. Lounge would be nice but not really a must as plenty of stuff to do in Austin.

I am Globalist with Hyatt and have suite upgrade certificates left and also Bonvoy Platinum with five suite night upgrades left. Hyatt Regency seems like a good choice as Barton Springs Pool and Downtown are walking distance and with Globalist plus certificate I see a high chance of getting a suite ugprade, but unsure how modern the hotel is and I gathered from the above that free parking is no longer a thing here (I am from Europe, so I don't mind walking 5-10mins to fetch my car somewhere else). We looked at The Otis and JW Marriott, but I'm not 100% sold on location of The Otis (although I used to live close to The Drag back in 2011) and not sure I want to be driving in to 6th street every time. We looked at the W, but they confirmed to us that they have constructions going on nearby, so not an option for us.

These are the rates I would be looking at for five nights incl. taxes etc.:
  • Hyatt Regency: $1,007 - high chance of suite upgrade
  • The Otis: $1,354 - less sure on suite upgrade
  • JW Marriott: $1,516 - less sure on suite upgrade
we often stay at HR Austin. Its a decent HR and a solid Globalist breakfast in the restaurant and thats about it. I have found them to be tight in complimentary suite upgrades , so if that is what you want best to use TSU if you can and lock it in.
We were just in Austin 2 weeks ago and tried the Thompson. We were super impressed with their service , restaurants, and overall great management. Also dont forget about the double qualifying nights for Thompsons properties. We booked the Brazos suite and it was great for our needs. Their concierge , Saige , was too notch and did a great job with all of our requests
Old May 1, 2024, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I didnt think the breakfast was all that great but they did allow it as room service to my suite.

Fresh fruit offerings were disappointing as well as baked goods. Berries already in parfait cups when I just wanted berries. However , for room service, they accommodated me with the berries ..
Other than that, a solid if dated Hyatt.
Old May 17, 2024, 11:52 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, LH / *A Gold
Thanks for the feedback and indeed it seems like all suites are not available during our stay (my concierge checked). Not sure if I want to stay here but am also a bit afraid of how the whole parking situation and everything will work out in other places like the JW or the Otis. Does not seem easy to find a good hotel in this price range in Austin (I was just researching and booking stays in New York which is not better).
Old May 17, 2024, 6:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
So the consensus this is a decent hotel but Thompson is best? I'm visiting Austin for first time for a few days and want a nice spot
Old May 17, 2024, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 4MM; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SHLTP
So the consensus this is a decent hotel but Thompson is best? I'm visiting Austin for first time for a few days and want a nice spot
Yes, I think you would have an okay stay at HR, but you'd be better off at the Thompson, I believe, especially if you can get a suite upgrade. Diner Bar at Thompson is a great place for a happy hour drink and/or a meal.

Have a great trip,
--woodstock
SHLTP likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 5:31 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
How is the wifi here in the room?

I'm coming to Austin for a few days next week. Debating if I should stay here with my P2. Both of us will be working for some of those days, so good wifi is crucial.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 6:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum Elite, CX Silver, OW Ruby, Travala Smart Diamond
This is on my blacklist. Badly cleaned bathroom upon arrival, multiple pubic hairs in and around the tub, long black hair in the bathroom as well. Was shocked to find a shower curtain in a hotel room that costs around US $200 / night. Front desk left unstaffed with guests waiting to be helped. Dialling 0 went to some Hyatt hotline instead of being able to speak to somebody. No globalist suite upgrade, tiny shoebox of a room with low ceiling, disgusting carpet, aged room. No robes, slippers.
No club / lounge.
Terrible breakfast. Was told by the waiter I can get a Cappuccino at Starbucks.

In general it seems that Hyatt room prices in the US are twice of what I pay in Asia and offer half the value in terms of rooms, service and food.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.