Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Austin DT/Town Lake REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency Austin DT/Town Lake REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Apr 25, 2005, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Just a brief report --

We stayed at the hotel late last week for 2 nights and received a fantastic upgrade -- The Presidential Suite.

Granted, the hotel was sold out, but I'm not complaining -- the upgrade was a fantastic surprise.

Separately, the staff was very kind and helpful throughout our stay. When one staff member saw me exiting the suite, he said "Mr. Snorkmaster, how are you today?" While it is probably easier to link the room with the name when the guest is staying in the Presidential Suite, I am always impressed when someone takes the time to remember a name.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 5:59 pm

The staff at the Hyatt Austin is amazing with names. I stay there three or four times a year for four or more days at a pop, and am always greeted by name when I walk by the front desk.

Unfortunately, I'm not as good with names, and can only offer up an enthusiastic "Hi!!" in return.

I've yet to get the Presidential suite, but I've stayed in just about all the other riverside balcony rooms. The balcony makes up for some of the outdated furnishings!
Old Oct 7, 2005, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Hyatt Regency Austin report 10/07/2005

Preface: My mom has always wanted to visit TX so with my wife in Japan visiting her parents this was the chance.

Rate: Senior rate of a little more than $100..

Transportation: This was a ? in my mind. I did end up renting a car which I am pleased about. Taxi back and forth from AUS. Also given the location of this Hotel means a rental works for us.

Check-in: This process was a little slow as only one agent was available when we arrived. Greeted kindly "upgraded" to riverview room on 15, a voucher for full buffet breakfast and choice of amenity (took points).

Perks: As noted above.

Room: Standard room with a beautiful full on river view. Hotel is the traditional atrium style. From the exterior you would think you made a serious mistake staying here. Definitely dated. The interior shows its age but well kept and recently remodeled.

Communication: It looks as if the Hotel has T Mobile wifi. The side of the desk contains a wire for HSIA. Rate is $9.95 for 24 hour period.

Location: The Hotel IMHO is definitely on the wrong side of the bridge. Near the area to view the bats. You have a great day and night view of the city. That being said nothing is around here. By looking at the map the free sightseeing trolley may stop around here somewhere. We came in late afternoon and had dinner in the Hotel restaurant Vista. Tomorrow we will move to the Hilton or Hampton Inn early to tour around.

Closing: A ok Hyatt which tries hard. No RC Lounge. We are back end of month so may do one night again for the FFN and then move. We will see.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
The Hotel is a bit aged. The drain in the tub was slow. I was charged twice the same day for internet which was promptly removed after I mentioned. I was not charged for parking and indeed when we went out the gate was up. The breakfast buffet was good. They have a omelet station and will prepare what you want. When we went up the lifts for whatever reason the floor was very wet. We noticed water running down the outside windows of the elevator. Weird considering these were elevators run inside the atrium.

I did make a move to the otherside of the river to the Hampton Inn and Suites. A wise choice. Not to rap Austin but two nights is the max for any tourist here. A tourist arriving late afternoon on the first day at that. We walked around and up to the State Capitol. Had a casual lunch then drove to the LBJ Library and Museum. That was it. I have no idea how I am going to keep my wife amused later this month. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks
Old Oct 8, 2005, 5:51 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
I have no idea how I am going to keep my wife amused later this month. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks
Last Call Neiman Marcus
(512) 447-0701
4115 S Capital of Texas Hwy
Austin, TX 78704

I've bought beautiful shoes there, including my one and only pair of Manolo Blahnicks.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 6:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Thanks for the updated report. I'm staying here later in the month for one night...my third stay here in two years. Status has always been recognized, but I fail to see what the "upgrade" of my room is...especially on a "business plan" rate. The room never seems to be much. Nonetheless, I've generally encountered friendly staff.
Old Oct 8, 2005, 8:00 pm

Thank you SanDiego1k. Also found outlet center and decent Japanese restaurant tonight.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 1:37 pm

Not sure if this is too late for you, but enjoy a casual lunch at The Oasis,(http://www.oasis-austin.com) a beautiful cliff view of Lake Travis and the multi-million dollar homes in plain site. Driving around the rolling hills in this area will make you reconsider what Austin has to offer!
Old Nov 7, 2007, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver
I am going to be staying at this property in a few weeks. Any new updates on it, have they renovated it lately?
Old Jan 12, 2008, 9:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt GP Diamond, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Avis First
I stay at this property often. It is currently undergoing $17mm in renovations. The rooms are nice and comfortable (due to previous renovations a couple of years ago I think). Next Tuesday (Jan 15, 2008), their new gym opens. Staff is always extra friendly. It's a great place to stay. i would recommend it. It's location is right in between downtown and South Congress.

The free breakfast for Diamond members is alright. I would warn against eating at LaVista and ordering room service. There are so many great places to eat nearby that it would be a waste to eat there. The food is pretty terrible.

Last edited by gohorns; Jan 12, 2008 at 9:29 pm
Old Feb 14, 2009, 7:18 am

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
Good morning! I will be checking in Sunday afternoon, any recent trip reports or reviews? It looks like a nice place....Thanks
Old Nov 21, 2009, 7:29 am

I am staying here this weekend for a continuing education conference. I used one of the Diamond suite upgrade certificates and I ended up in an Executive Suite on the river side. It has an amazing view of the lake and downtown Austin. There is no Regency lounge, but full breakfast in the restaurant is comped. The staff is very friendly and very helpful and try to anticipate your needs and questions. It was also one of the smoothest checkouts ever. It has become my hotel of choice in Austin.

Last edited by docr775; Nov 24, 2009 at 2:19 pm
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:48 pm
Suspended

Just wanted to see if there are any recent updates. Thank you.

How is the parking situation (does the property charge and how much)? How is the gym?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:07 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Originally Posted by gohorns
...I would warn against eating at LaVista and ordering room service. There are so many great places to eat nearby that it would be a waste to eat there.

The food is pretty terrible.
Agreed.

Room service is really wretched here.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 8:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wilbur
Agreed.

Room service is really wretched here.
Thanks. Any other thoughts (anyone)? It's amazing that there are only two (brief) reviews of this property since 2005, no?

Maybe that's a review right there....if so few flyertalkers stay there, it must be bad?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.