Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Jersey City on the Hudson REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2018, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coleslaw
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Regency Jersey City on the Hudson REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2014, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by JC Gold
The Exchange Place PATH Station will be closed on weekends through the end of 2014.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/path-forward.html
ouch that kills it for me :P being it that I will be there on a weekend, I am not sure how to get to and from Manhattan and I don´t know how safe it is to wonder around the area boooooooooooo
Old Mar 22, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, QF Platinum
Originally Posted by nikad
ouch that kills it for me :P being it that I will be there on a weekend, I am not sure how to get to and from Manhattan and I don´t know how safe it is to wonder around the area boooooooooooo
We are currently staying at this property and have found the closure of the WTC/Exchange PATH line has had no affect on us getting around.

The hotel provides a free shuttle to the nearest PATH station (Grove St) leaving every 15 minutes or at call during quiet periods.

Plus, using the line via Hoboken, it goes straight to 33rd Street, which suits my partner just fine (Macy's is right there).

I will post some other details of our stay later, we managed to land the Empire Suite (404) which is an awesome room, and the view... WOW (and for $109++ per night... AWESOME)
Old Mar 22, 2014, 7:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I've walked back from Grove Street at 11 at night, which is probably the closest station, and felt very safe. There's a variety of tall apartment buildings and office buildings along the road down to the Hyatt and even at that time quite a bit of vehicle traffic.

Only downside with the PATH train is that it backtracks to Hoboken on weekends before it turns back towards Manhattan where it stops just off Herald Square where Macy's is. It's probably going to be a 30 minute train ride because of the route into Manhattan on weekends.

I stayed in Brooklyn when I was back two weeks ago and found that a very good option. I had an Indigo hotel for $96 a night, though I would not expect that rate in the summer. Nearby there was a Marriott, Aloft, and Sheraton. If you're price and travel time sensitive you might try that area instead of Jersey City and see what the prices look like. I walked across the Brooklyn Bridge into Manhattan my first night there. Subway stations are within a block or two depending on which train you want to get.

Tom at the Grand Hyatt in Seoul
Old Mar 22, 2014, 7:54 pm

Thanks Tom and File, I guess I will reconsider this property. I intend to book award nights with my points, and to be honest I do not have enough the ones in NYC, except for the new Hyatt Place in midtown, that doesn't seem to be too great. These 3 days in NYC are the end of our trip visiting the family. We come from Argentina, Buenos Aires, to FL, then NC, then Jersey shore, and would like to see NYC before we return from JFK. My husband is American but I have never been there before, and would rather spend some money doing thing around the city! Also I do not have status or anything, I am relatively new to the points game as it is not easy from down here in Arg.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Thanks Tom and File, I guess I will reconsider this property. I intend to book award nights with my points, and to be honest I do not have enough the ones in NYC, except for the new Hyatt Place in midtown, that doesn't seem to be too great. These 3 days in NYC are the end of our trip visiting the family. We come from Argentina, Buenos Aires, to FL, then NC, then Jersey shore, and would like to see NYC before we return from JFK. My husband is American but I have never been there before, and would rather spend some money doing thing around the city! Also I do not have status or anything, I am relatively new to the points game as it is not easy from down here in Arg.
We really love this property -- walk around it, day or evening, at the waterfront, and just take in the incredible city skyline views. Far better, IMO, than actually staying inside the concrete canyons of the city itself. Enjoy the City during the day, then breathe easy at the Hyatt Jersey City in the evening and morning. Enjoy the city view from the breakfast restaurant before heading back into the fray..
Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:50 am

And if you do come back to Jersey City for dinner, at the Newport station, which is the station in the other direction from the hotel, there is a big mall with a Macy's, and across from it Modell's Sporting Goods which often has pretty good sales. In terms of restaurants, I've been to Dorian's, which is across from the Newport PATH station, a couple times with Catman who lives in Jersey City (had pastrami sandwiches last time) and I'm sure he would be happy to provide you with any further information about what might be available over there. We've also eaten at a Bertucci's which is an east coast Italian place right across the street. I've found their prices quite reasonable. First time I ever tried them was with TrojanHorse up in Boston years back before he went to a Red Sox game.

Last edited by tom911; Mar 24, 2014 at 1:57 am Reason: "their" not "there"
Old Mar 24, 2014, 7:28 am

Thanks guys for all the valuable info. I am taking notes and I am booking here today. Two questions: anybody knows how much +/- is breakfast at the hotel or where is the closest place for American style breakfast - mid priced - ? ( hehehe yes, I personally have a thing for American breakfast, if there is something I don´t miss when in the US is breakfast! Down here the custom is continental :P
And the second question is: we are going to get into Jersey city at around 3 pm to return the car we bring from Miami, with 4 pieces of luggage, stroller, etc. is there a guest parking at the hotel where we can park, check in, leave all our stuff and then go return the car? If we go with all the stuff to the car rental agent, we then have to take a cab with all of that, which would suck :P
Old Mar 24, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, QF Platinum
Thanks guys for all the valuable info. I am taking notes and I am booking here today. Two questions: anybody knows how much +/- is breakfast at the hotel or where is the closest place for American style breakfast - mid priced - ? ( hehehe yes, I personally have a thing for American breakfast, if there is something I don´t miss when in the US is breakfast! Down here the custom is continental :P
And the second question is: we are going to get into Jersey city at around 3 pm to return the car we bring from Miami, with 4 pieces of luggage, stroller, etc. is there a guest parking at the hotel where we can park, check in, leave all our stuff and then go return the car? If we go with all the stuff to the car rental agent, we then have to take a cab with all of that, which would suck :P
We just got back from breakfast, today we ordered off the menu, Eggs Benedict with Smoked Salmon instead of Canadian Bacon... SENSATIONAL

For the previous 4 mornings we have had the full buffet breakfast, very good selection, and on weekends they have the omelette bar which totally rocked. I think the full buffet was $22-23 (I never really take note of these things, just calculating the tip, and billing to room which gets taken care of with my Diamond status (including the tip)).

I am sure if you let the guys on the driveway know what you want to do you should have no problems checking in, etc, then dealing with your car
Old Mar 24, 2014, 7:58 am

where is the closest place for American style breakfast - mid priced - ?
There is a Pot Belly Deli on the waterfront by the ferry dock just across from the Hyatt, but can't say it's open for breakfast on weekends. They do seem to have a breakfast sandwich menu and oatmeal, but probably not what you're after.

This one comes up on Yelp and it's pretty close:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/city-diner-jersey-city

This one is a few blocks from the Grove Street PATH station (maybe the Hyatt shuttle will run you by there):
http://www.yelp.com/biz/brownstone-d...ry-jersey-city
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by tom911
There is a Pot Belly Deli on the waterfront by the ferry dock just across from the Hyatt, but can't say it's open for breakfast on weekends. They do seem to have a breakfast sandwich menu and oatmeal, but probably not what you're after.

This one comes up on Yelp and it's pretty close:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/city-diner-jersey-city

This one is a few blocks from the Grove Street PATH station (maybe the Hyatt shuttle will run you by there):
http://www.yelp.com/biz/brownstone-d...ry-jersey-city
The dinner on yelp looks good I cannot venture far out from the hotel with no breakfast...I bite
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:58 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

The dinner on yelp looks good I cannot venture far out from the hotel with no breakfast...I bite
I've stayed at this property before and like it but since you are leaving out of JFK, that is quite a hike. Perhaps one of the Manhattan properties would work better for you. They could be available on Points and Cash which would be less costly cash wise for you.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 5:45 am

ok I am all booked I still have a few questions: how much is the charge for wifi in the rooms? If I upgrade to Business Plan, does the room still have a mini fridge? - I see it for standard but not for BP -. And last, but not least... is there a hair dryer in the bathroom?

peteropny, I know the airport is not super close, but I rather spend on a cab I think it should be about 70usd or so ( is this a good estimate ) After traveling for almost a month with a kid, etc, we reach NYC on a semi tight budget, and I rather spend on entertainment, meals, etc.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 5:48 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, VS Gold Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold,
Resident of Jersey City and Frequent Booker of Rooms at this location

First off. If anyone has questions about Jersey City and this location please let me know. I live 4 Blocks away in Trump Plaza Residences.

This hotel is my go to for quests coming into town. The winter is great because the rates really drop like others have mentioned.

The city is trying to force the PATH system to get a ferry running on the weekend from the ferry terminal only 4 blocks down on the water. The area is safe and walking from Grove Street or even Newport stops once its warmer is really nice. Even getting off in Hoboken is a nice tour spot.
Also if you walk the water to the south towards liberty state park and get to Warren Street there is the Liberty Landing ferry
http://www.libertylandingferry.com/l...ady-stops.aspx

There are plenty of good little restaurants in the streets around the Hotel, you just have to find them. Many of them are BYOB.

The views are always great. I don't think there is a room without a view. But the suite upgrades I have booked have been amazing.

Once again feel free to reach out to me about questions for this side of the river.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:53 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

ok I am all booked I still have a few questions: how much is the charge for wifi in the rooms? If I upgrade to Business Plan, does the room still have a mini fridge? - I see it for standard but not for BP -. And last, but not least... is there a hair dryer in the bathroom?

peteropny, I know the airport is not super close, but I rather spend on a cab I think it should be about 70usd or so ( is this a good estimate ) After traveling for almost a month with a kid, etc, we reach NYC on a semi tight budget, and I rather spend on entertainment, meals, etc.
Don't know about the hair dryer but since any room can be made business plan (wifi & breakfast I believe), I would think it's the same room but do ask about the fridge when you check in.

I'm not sure about cab fare to JFK but my reaction is probably closer to 100usd - for NYC airports I usually use a car service (dial7 or Carmel).

Last edited by peteropny; Mar 26, 2014 at 8:03 am
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:55 am

Thanks for all the useful tips and info Still a couple of months to go, but I am definitely looking forward to visiting Jersey City and NYC!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.