Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Jersey City on the Hudson REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Jersey City on the Hudson REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 2, 19, 9:41 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Wiki Link
Heads up to anyone staying here on weekends up until December 2020 - Beginning January 5, 2019 through December 20, 2020, PATH’s World Trade Center Station will close every weekend, excluding major holidays, in order to replace equipment damaged during Superstorm Sandy. The station will close at 12:01 a.m. on Saturdays, reopening at 5 a.m. on Mondays.

During this time, PATH service to World Trade Center will terminate at Exchange Place Station (next to the Hyatt). Each Saturday and Sunday from 7 a.m. to 11:30 p.m., transfer will be available for NY Waterway ferry service between Harborside Ferry Landing in Jersey City and Brookfield Place Terminal in New York City. Service on the JSQ-33 via HOB line will follow a regular weekend schedule.

In short, do not plan on taking the PATH to/from the Hyatt to the World Trade Center on weekends.

The self-parking lot is at 135 Green Street at Christopher Columbus Drive; it's about a five minute walk to the entrance of the hotel.
See the following for more information:
http://www.panynj.gov/alerts-advisor...ries_path.html
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 7, 14, 6:59 am

Programs: Hyatt, Amtrak
Originally Posted by caldrich View Post
There were great views across the Hudson and south of NY Harbor. Binoculars in room to zero in on sights. Booked on $109 rate, suite is placarded at $3000/night.
$3000/night or $300/night? That must be some good fig jam!!
Old Feb 7, 14, 8:01 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by blue2000 View Post
Probably $3,000 - AFAIK according to the law the rate on the placard is the max the property can charge for the room/ suite under any circumstance, so it's usually well above the normal rates for the room / suite. I'm willing to bet that the placard rate for a regular room at this property is higher than $300.
Old Feb 7, 14, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by peteropny View Post
Probably $3,000 - AFAIK according to the law the rate on the placard is the max the property can charge for the room/ suite under any circumstance, so it's usually well above the normal rates for the room / suite. I'm willing to bet that the placard rate for a regular room at this property is higher than $300.
Ahh--I forgot the person was talking about a suite upgrade too. That makes sense, though.
Old Feb 7, 14, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by JC Gold View Post
Looks like the PANYNJ posted details on the weekend closures, and it appears the finish date is at the end of the year The Newport and Grove PATH stations are walkable from the hotel.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/path-forward.html

Looks like this weekend is the last weekend to use the hotel-to-WTC route, since the closures start the weekend of the 14th. I guess some good news is that the frequency on the other line should be a bit better:
Additional service will be added to the Journal Square-33rd (HOB) line in both directions to accommodate additional traffic.
Old Feb 7, 14, 10:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, MR Silver, HH Diamond.
OP here - yep, $3000/night for the Hudson River View suite (I had to look twice too!)

Just for fun, I priced the same 2 nights of the week for later in February and the Hyatt Daily Rate for this suite is $839/night.
Old Feb 7, 14, 10:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
FYI: No one ever pays that rate... and the suites at this hotel are not the best rooms offered... There are room upgrades at this hotel much better than the Hudson Suite.

This is coming from an inside source who know someone who works there.

There are only a few rooms here with floor to ceiling windows with an incredible view that they only block for VIP guest... Much better overall experience than the suite you are talking about.

Old Feb 8, 14, 5:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by caldrich View Post
Diamond Suite upgrade got me room 604, Hudson River Suite, a spacious suite with entry hallway, living room with windows on 2 sides (east and south) and even a tiny balcony facing the Hudson. There was a king bedroom and bathroom with shower (no tub). Two bottles of water each day. I took the wine, cheese and crackers amenity and it was a full bottle of wine. The smear of fig jam was a nice touch.

There were great views across the Hudson and south of NY Harbor. Binoculars in room to zero in on sights. Booked on $109 rate, suite is placarded at $3000/night.
Thanks for the pictures.

They have at least three different suite types with direct views of Manhattan. The one you got is the corner suite on the left side of the hotel, if you watch from the top of the pier. Next to your room is an even bigger suite with great panorama views spreading over almost the entire hotel. I am sure not sure, if it extends all the way or if there is another corner suite and the big suite in between is sandwiched between two corner suites.

Anyway, on one level of the hotel, this major suite also has a very spacious balcony, not sure if it is the 4th or 5th floor. IIRC, there are two floors below the lobby level.

Either I am completely wrong or it seems that they changed the names or even set-up of some of their suites.

Looks like a very solid standard suite for Diamond members making use of their upgrades.
Old Feb 22, 14, 7:25 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott/spg, M life, and Hertz
Hit the lottery Friday night using an expiring suite upgrade. Upon check-in, I was confirmed into a Hudson Suite, but the desk agent asked me to wait while she had housekeeping check the bedding to ensure it was feather-free (as I requested). After a few minutes, I was told that my assigned room had a cigarette smell and they were moving me to an Empire Suite.

Suite 804 is at the end of the hotel, underneath the ballroom on the 9th floor.

The room is HUGE with a small foyer with a closet and large washroom as you enter. You then move into the living area which has a dining room table that seats 10. There's a large seating area with sofas and armchairs as well with a Bose surround sound system. There's also a small kitchen with a microwave, mini-fridge, and wine rack on one side of the room, and a small reading alcove on the other with a small balcony adjacent.

The adjoining bedroom has panoramic view of the Hudson from the GWB to the north to Battery Park to the south. There's a desk with a touchscreen PC and color laser printer for guest use in the bedroom. The attached bath is huge with a large soaking tub and adjacent walk-in waterfall shower.

The view from the living room is equally spectacular, and you can see Staten Island and the Statue of Liberty.

My wife and I canceled our dinner reservations at a nearby restaurant and invited our guests to dine with us in the suite. We certainly enjoyed our upgrade from the pre-paid $109 rate! Upon checkout, I confirmed with the front desk staff that 804 is their best suite. I certainly hope other FTers are able to enjoy a stay in that room!
Attached Images      

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 22, 16 at 1:54 pm
Old Feb 23, 14, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
Hit the lottery Friday night using an expiring suite upgrade. Upon check-in, I was confirmed into a Hudson Suite, but the desk agent asked me to wait while she had housekeeping check the bedding to ensure it was feather-free (as I requested). After a few minutes, I was told that my assigned room had a cigarette smell and they were moving me to an Empire Suite.

Suite 804 is at the end of the hotel, underneath the ballroom on the 9th floor.

The room is HUGE with a small foyer with a closet and large washroom as you enter. You then move into the living area which has a dining room table that seats 10. There's a large seating area with sofas and armchairs as well with a Bose surround sound system. There's also a small kitchen with a microwave, mini-fridge, and wine rack on one side of the room, and a small reading alcove on the other with a small balcony adjacent.

The adjoining bedroom has panoramic view of the Hudson from the GWB to the north to Battery Park to the south. There's a desk with a touchscreen PC and color laser printer for guest use in the bedroom. The attached bath is huge with a large soaking tub and adjacent walk-in waterfall shower.

The view from the living room is equally spectacular, and you can see Staten Island and the Statue of Liberty.

My wife and I canceled our dinner reservations at a nearby restaurant and invited our guests to dine with us in the suite. We certainly enjoyed our upgrade from the pre-paid $109 rate! Upon checkout, I confirmed with the front desk staff that 804 is their best suite. I certainly hope other FTers are able to enjoy a stay in that room!
It really was a great stay. We could hear the music coming from the ballroom, but since it ended at 11pm (and since we're used to NYC street noise at home) it wasn't an issue for us. Our one moment of heart attack was during checkout when the front desk clerk read out our room service bill as starting with "one thousand" instead of "one hundred". Fortunately it was just a slip of the tongue from a non-native speaker!

And as others have said, the food is kind of meh. Not horrible, just meh. The descriptions all sound very good and very up with food trends (everything is local, etc etc) but the execution isn't quite there. For example, there was a hot breakfast cereal on the buffet made with red quinoa, but the quinoa clearly hadn't been rinsed before cooking and had that nasty dirty/bitter taste (first world problems, I know...).
Old Feb 23, 14, 8:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, QF Platinum
Originally Posted by Calcifer View Post
And as others have said, the food is kind of meh. Not horrible, just meh. The descriptions all sound very good and very up with food trends (everything is local, etc etc) but the execution isn't quite there. For example, there was a hot breakfast cereal on the buffet made with red quinoa, but the quinoa clearly hadn't been rinsed before cooking and had that nasty dirty/bitter taste (first world problems, I know...).
In regards to the breakfast, and since they have no lounge, is the hot buffet breakfast offered to Diamonds, or do they offer the continental and have an up-charge amount to have the hot breakfast?

Only a few weeks till I get there, interested to see what room is offered...
Old Feb 23, 14, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Diamonds have their choice of either the hot buffet or or continental breakfast. I've gone back and forth between the two depending how hungry I am. Some mornings all I really want is a bagel and juice. I wouldn't be surprised if you could just order something from the menu, but haven't asked on past visits.
Old Feb 23, 14, 8:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, QF Platinum
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
Diamonds have their choice of either the hot buffet or or continental breakfast. I've gone back and forth between the two depending how hungry I am. Some mornings all I really want is a bagel and juice. I wouldn't be surprised if you could just order something from the menu, but haven't asked on past visits.
Thanks, I have looked around to see if I can find any photos of the buffet, with no luck...

Some days all I will be craving is eggs, and other proteins, and other days just a simple yogurt and cereal will do the trick... good to know they don't nickel and dime you for the good breakfast (as good as a buffet can be anyway)
Old Feb 24, 14, 5:07 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott/spg, M life, and Hertz
I got the impression that I could have ordered off the menu, if I wanted, for my Diamond amenity.

The buffet is pretty much what you would expect. On the hot side, oatmeals, bacon, sausage, potatoes, scrambled eggs, waffles, and cinnamon rolls. There is also an omelette bar where you can have eggs made to order.

The cold side has some fruit, breads, cheese, and cold cuts.
Old Feb 24, 14, 7:29 am

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
You definitely can order off the menu for breakfast as Diamond.
The buffet has a huge range of food though so given the general "meh"-ness of the food I would go buffet to be sure I'd get enough of food I like. (Really, I am not as fussy as I sound....)
Old Mar 10, 14, 4:30 pm

Curious... has anyone had problems with the pre paid $109 rate NOT being point eligible?
I just got an email from Gold Passport stating so. I've stay at other properties with the TRAVELZOO rate and they were point eligible.
Anyone else???

Search this Thread