Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Jersey City on the Hudson REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Jersey City on the Hudson REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 2, 19, 9:41 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Wiki Link
Heads up to anyone staying here on weekends up until December 2020 - Beginning January 5, 2019 through December 20, 2020, PATH’s World Trade Center Station will close every weekend, excluding major holidays, in order to replace equipment damaged during Superstorm Sandy. The station will close at 12:01 a.m. on Saturdays, reopening at 5 a.m. on Mondays.

During this time, PATH service to World Trade Center will terminate at Exchange Place Station (next to the Hyatt). Each Saturday and Sunday from 7 a.m. to 11:30 p.m., transfer will be available for NY Waterway ferry service between Harborside Ferry Landing in Jersey City and Brookfield Place Terminal in New York City. Service on the JSQ-33 via HOB line will follow a regular weekend schedule.

In short, do not plan on taking the PATH to/from the Hyatt to the World Trade Center on weekends.

The self-parking lot is at 135 Green Street at Christopher Columbus Drive; it's about a five minute walk to the entrance of the hotel.
See the following for more information:
http://www.panynj.gov/alerts-advisor...ries_path.html
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 1, 14, 9:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, QF Platinum
Originally Posted by savekenny View Post
Stayed here in November. As a Diamond, I received no upgrade. Only upon persistent inquiries did they offer a room with a 15-degree angle view of the river. Picked a bottle of wine and nuts as an amenity. It was 750 ml so I gave it away as a gift.

Not to mention the extreme inconvenience to midtown NYC.

Disappointed and will not stay again.
Thanks for the feedback re upgrade & amenity...

We realise it is a little out of the way, but given the rate, and the fact that we don't mind catching public transport we are not too concerned with the distance from midtown and various burrows...

We have got 2 rooms reserved, both Diamond status (each room) so as long as we can get adjoining rooms, with any type of view we will be happy with that... Anything better is a bonus (not sure if it would be worthwhile applying a suite upgrade cert for this stay)
Old Jan 1, 14, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Even if the PATH line to the WTC isn't running from the hotel, you can walk up to the Grove Street station, or over to the Newport station, both within about 15 minutes at a brisk pace, and get the PATH train to Herald Square. I've done that a number of times including last month, using both of those stations. There is a large shopping mall with a Macy's over at the Newport station.

I had a king on the 5th floor this time. Don't think it's an upgrade but it's a pretty good sized room with a sofa and a view of the Manhattan skyline down towards 34th Street. I did the hot buffet one morning (think it worked out to $28 with tax and tip but comped as Diamond) and cold the next day (cereal and a bagel- not very hungry). Hot buffet usually includes scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, some type of oatmeal or oats, local cheese and salami, breakfast breads and pastries. I'd guess there's probably 10 different hot dishes out on the table. Not as much as other large Hyatts but enough to start the day. Service there has always been very good.

More photos in the Hyatt gallery linked below and in my New York gallery from last month here.
Old Jan 1, 14, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transportprof View Post
Jersey City may not be Greenwich Village, but there are decent places to eat and drink if you know where to look. One of my favorites is the Iron Monkey, which is walking distance from the Hyatt.
I've had both lunch and dinner with Catman at Dorians, across from the Newport station, and this last trip had dinner again at Bertucci's, an Italian chain, just down from the Newport station. I've always just walked over there or walked back if arriving from Manhattan.
Old Jan 2, 14, 2:03 am

Managed to secure a Hudson River Suite using my last Diamond upgrade cert that was due to expire next month...

From the pictures I have seen, looks like a sweet deal for a little over $100 per night (for 6 nights).

Old Jan 2, 14, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
FYI: The room you had was not really an upgrade, When I've stayed there I usually get the Manhattan Sky View Room upgrade.

In regards to PATH depends on what time of the day you travel or if it's during the weekends. The PATH into Manhattan from Grove Street VIA Hoboken can take 30 minutes or longer on weekends and late night... that 5 minute wait at Hoboken can be painful. During the weekdays it can be a breeze. I've actually gotten out at New Port and walked back to the hotel along the water.

The 109 is a great deal, more $$$ to enjoy NYC. I've booked it.

Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
Even if the PATH line to the WTC isn't running from the hotel, you can walk up to the Grove Street station, or over to the Newport station, both within about 15 minutes at a brisk pace, and get the PATH train to Herald Square. I've done that a number of times including last month, using both of those stations. There is a large shopping mall with a Macy's over at the Newport station.

I had a king on the 5th floor this time. Don't think it's an upgrade but it's a pretty good sized room with a sofa and a view of the Manhattan skyline down towards 34th Street. [/URL].
Old Jan 2, 14, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP Gold, DL PM, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott / SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
I would also add that this location often has weddings on weekends. This might have limited rooms available for upgrades.
Old Jan 2, 14, 6:15 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott/spg, M life, and Hertz
I happen to work in one of the buildings next to the Hyatt so the $109 rate is too good to pass up. I used one of my expiring suite upgrade certs for a Friday next month so I will just walk over after work. My wife works across the river so she can either take the ferry or PATH over.
Old Jan 2, 14, 8:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, MR Silver, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by file51 View Post
Am interested in the same thing, especially since they just advertised the $109 per night rate at the same time I was already looking at staying there

http://jerseycity.hyatt.com/en/hotel...sBookable=true
Thanks for posting this - I just booked 2 nights later in January. Have stayed here on Chase CC certs as a Plat and had an enjoyable stay. Staff was very responsive and they seemed genuinely interested in making my stay memorable. Just reached Diamond and am planning to use a suite upgrade.

Note the $109 rate is prepaid and non-changeable/refundable...
Old Jan 2, 14, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by caldrich View Post
Note the $109 rate is prepaid and non-changeable/refundable...
Funny thing is, when HGP confirmed our Suite Upgrade, the rate type changed to Hyatt Daily Rate with the following conditions:

Cancellation policy
Cancel By 3pm Est 24 Hours Prior To Arrival

Given we have 2 rooms booked, and they have already charged the credit card on the 2nd room, I am going to shoot them an email just to ensure everything is fine.

I know the reservation is locked in, and the rate is correct, but given we will be travelling some distance, last minute problems are something I like to avoid.

I would rather they charge everything now, so come March, everything is already taken care of.
Old Jan 22, 14, 3:25 pm

Suggestion to double-check $109 rate if using Diamond Suite upgrade

I had reserved the $109 rate and confirmed a suite upgrade several weeks ago but when I checked my reservation online, it showed nothing about the suite and DOUBLE the original nightly rate.

I emailed the hotel for clarification and their response was, in part:

"Your concern is definitely valid and I am very happy that you noticed before arriving! It seems that after you applied your Diamond suite upgrade, reservations did an auto update of your rates and they took away the discounted rate. I will certainly honor your previous rate of the 109/night so please do not worry about that. "

I was very pleased with the response and wanted to alert anyone else that has reserved this rate and added a DSU to double-check and contact the hotel in case mine was not an isolated instance.

I really like this hotel a lot and am looking forward to my stay that starts tomorrow!

Funny thing is, when HGP confirmed our Suite Upgrade, the rate type changed to Hyatt Daily Rate with the following conditions:

Cancellation policy
Cancel By 3pm Est 24 Hours Prior To Arrival

Given we have 2 rooms booked, and they have already charged the credit card on the 2nd room, I am going to shoot them an email just to ensure everything is fine.

I know the reservation is locked in, and the rate is correct, but given we will be travelling some distance, last minute problems are something I like to avoid.

I would rather they charge everything now, so come March, everything is already taken care of.
Old Jan 22, 14, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by caldrich View Post
I had reserved the $109 rate and confirmed a suite upgrade several weeks ago but when I checked my reservation online, it showed nothing about the suite and DOUBLE the original nightly rate.

I emailed the hotel for clarification and their response was, in part:

"Your concern is definitely valid and I am very happy that you noticed before arriving! It seems that after you applied your Diamond suite upgrade, reservations did an auto update of your rates and they took away the discounted rate. I will certainly honor your previous rate of the 109/night so please do not worry about that. "

I was very pleased with the response and wanted to alert anyone else that has reserved this rate and added a DSU to double-check and contact the hotel in case mine was not an isolated instance.

I really like this hotel a lot and am looking forward to my stay that starts tomorrow!
Glad they sorted it out without any major hassle.

Please advise what suite you get, and any type of a review would be great, I will be there in approx 6-7 weeks time and just checked my reservation just to double check everything is in order...

Rate Information:
Daily Rate USD$109.00
Subtotal USD$654.00 ( 6 Nights / 1 Room )
Additional Fees & Taxes
Occupancy Tax USD$45.78
Sales Tax USD$45.78
Total Per Room USD$745.56

Selected Rate and Room
Hyatt Daily Rate
Hudson River Suite
Old Jan 22, 14, 4:00 pm

I will definitely post a follow-up after my stay!

Please advise what suite you get, and any type of a review would be great, I will be there in approx 6-7 weeks time and just checked my reservation just to double check everything is in order...
Old Jan 26, 14, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Imagine the Denver Broncos have arrived for the Super Bowl by now. Congratulations, Hyatt Jersey City!

NEWARK — The Denver Broncos arrived at Newark Liberty International Airport just before 4 p.m. today, one week ahead of Super Bowl XLVIII.

A few minutes after their chartered flight touched down, the team and its coaches unloaded into a United Airlines hangar – Hangar 54, to be exact — where a long line of TV cameras and fans had been waiting for several hours.
http://www.nj.com/super-bowl/index.s...k_airport.html
Old Feb 3, 14, 3:23 pm

Diamond Suite upgrade got me room 604, Hudson River Suite, a spacious suite with entry hallway, living room with windows on 2 sides (east and south) and even a tiny balcony facing the Hudson. There was a king bedroom and bathroom with shower (no tub). Two bottles of water each day. I took the wine, cheese and crackers amenity and it was a full bottle of wine. The smear of fig jam was a nice touch.

There were great views across the Hudson and south of NY Harbor. Binoculars in room to zero in on sights. Booked on $109 rate, suite is placarded at $3000/night.

No lounge, so breakfast in restaurant. Order from menu or full buffet. Food was so-so. PATH train to NYC is adjacent to hotel.

Hotel staff were uniformly friendly and excellent, always wanting to please. For example, I was going to have a light dinner and even though the restaurant was not very full, they said there would be a wait - I said that was fine, but they insisted on comping me a drink. I ended up eating in the bar area - some soup and a pretty good burger - and they took 2 glasses of wine off my tab with no prompting whatsoever.

Photos at: https://picasaweb.google.com/1024325...vuu-aqoriPgQE#

Let me know if you have any questions - I am sure you will enjoy your stay!
Old Feb 6, 14, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer View Post
I would use caution if you plan to stay there. PATH Trains to WTC during certain weekends service will be interrupted or scaled back. They will be working on the tunnels and single tracking from exchange place to WTC.

They may even stop service on certain days. THe PATH website says to check back in the beginning of 2014 for details.

I think this is one reason they are offering this rate.
Looks like the PANYNJ posted details on the weekend closures, and it appears the finish date is at the end of the year The Newport and Grove PATH stations are walkable from the hotel.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/path-forward.html

Search this Thread